[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gurkhas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: gurkha[1].jpg (66KB, 660x440px) Image search: [Google]
gurkha[1].jpg
66KB, 660x440px
Tell me stuff about the Gurkhas.
>Brits who served with them
>Nato members who met them
>General stories you don't stumble over in a bored afternoon internet research

Are they really that fierce and badass as media portraits them?
Do they all wield Khukuris from the same maker?
>>
>>34266420
Small, generally quite polite, absolute demons of soldiers.

Win all the competitions because they train specifically for them - can't be seen to come second.

SNCOs and WOs are absolutely fucking terrifying. Had the joy of being reamed by the RSM of 2RGR when I was in Brunei. Least enjoyable experience of my adult life, and I've had several prostate exams.
>>
>>34266420
They are a bunch of dumb overrated pussies but people think they are mystical warriors because of "muh khukuri" even though a khukuri has no relevance in today's conflicts
>>
>>34266420
Not too popular with british troops thanks to their "ghost soldiers" and alleged cheating during examinations. They are also more expensive to recruit and train than other soldiers which is not ideal when other regiments are being gutted thanks to budget cuts.
>>
>>34266420
They are a meme.
>>
>>34266520
Thanks for the input, please feel free to share more stories.

>>34266524
Why do you have such a bad opinion of them?
>>
>>34266577
As I said, they are overrated and a khukuri is useless in today's conflicts. The khukuri is more of a ceremonial decoration than anything and the Gurkhas are not even on par with a standard 11b.
>>
>>34266611
The ghurkas do the same infantry course as any army infantryman and that includes the paras.
>>
They're just as bad as Sikhs.

Never bathe, always smell like this since their cultures don't know what toilet paper is.

No sense of personal space or hygiene, had to be told by command before they showed up not to try petting the hair of any blond females they encountered.

Two of them got kicked off the exercise cause they got into a literal fist fight over a piece of food at the lunch break.
>>
>>34266611
I didn't mean to put a focus on the khukuri.
Why do you think of them as bad soldiers?
>>
>>34266611
You sound like the kind of person who says a bayonet is obsolete. i.e., somoeone who has never gone toe-to-toe in a ditch with someone who would rather you were dead.

Also you sound like an american who has an over-inflated view of US troops and a diminished view of all others purely based on jingoism.

>>34266577
Don't have a huge amount more; sometimes they get posted to training roles and their English is a little rusty, but one of the best instructors on my Section Commander's course was a Cpl from 1RGR. Extremely patient, incredibly competent and had some brilliant stories. Pushed us hard though.

They aren't mystical warriors but some of them are incredibly hard bastards and they fight like it too. They'll do the stupid things like hold a position that's clearly untenable, and then win the fight out of sheer bloody minded stubbornness.
>>
>>34266694
Of course a bayonet isn't obsolete! Though I've gone toe to toe with a lot more concertina and barbed wire than enemies with it.
>>
>>34266694
Cool to hear some stuff first hand.
Are they sometimes primitive in behaviour like >>34266663 states?
>>
One of them is worth a whole battalion of yank soldiers
>>
>>34266663
>literal fist fight over a piece of food at the lunch break
Who would win in a tag-team fight over a Filet-O-Fish?
>2 gurkhas
or
>Gaz and Darren from a council estate
>>
File: i.jpg (52KB, 564x423px) Image search: [Google]
i.jpg
52KB, 564x423px
>>34266420
>Are they really that fierce and badass as media portraits them?
>Do they all wield Khukuris from the same maker?

here, served with them on attachment for a year which included a deployment.

Solid blokes, no need to shout at them for anything, love a good laugh.

Always smiling, whether its cleaning the shitter or emptying a 200rd belt into terry only 20m away.

Did a stint training them too;
> first night go into platoon room
> not in there
> search whole barracks
> go back to room
> all asleep under the beds
only a couple had them back home so decided to sleep on the floor. The others joined them to make sure the "room looked tidy"

Once asked one for a light, and he ended up coming back with a maglite.

One bad word i will say about them is they can't drive for shit. And mental breakdowns were common for driving instructors teaching them
One went through an island in a roundabout because the instructor said "straight over the roundabout"

>>34266551
Not true

>>34266663
BS, never happened.

>>34266611
> Not even 11B
I had the misfortune of serving with americans in Afghanistan. They were fucking aweful. The only two units that were anywhere near a regular regiment were rangers and Marine recon, and even then i'd seen better soldiers that belong to the RAF regiment or dunk in my eggs.

They had entire companies getting pinned down by harassing fire screaming down comms like they were being overrun, and calling in an air strike onto friendly or wrong positions or opening up on enemies that weren't there.

I once saw an entire US company get pinned down, waste 20 mins firing god knows how many rounds and calling in an air strike on a pile of tyres, that didn't even shoot back.

6/10 would prefer not to go through that again,
>>
>>34266719
I'll be honest - I've never stabbed Johnny Foreigner in the face with what is a glorified medieval pike, but I know a lot of people who have. One even got to do the rifle-fighting dance with an angry Iraqi.

>>34266735
It sounds like >>34266663 has had some more contact time with gurkhas than I have - the only contact I've had has been with NCOs and WO's (and in the main, as instructors), all of whom were what you'd expect in a British Army NCO/WO - professional. The Cpl on my Section Commander's course was downright anal about hygiene in the field, so I don't know where the non-bathing thing comes from.

And I've never met a Sikh in the British Army who was a bad soldier. Better than Darren and fucking Kevin from Southend who prefer getting high on smack than soldiering and then cry foul when the ethnic minority colleague gets promoted ahead of them (true story.)
>>
>>34266947
Sorry, mistyped - it was coke, not smack.

Still, not that this changes much.
>>
File: i2.jpg (84KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
i2.jpg
84KB, 736x552px
>>34266420
Another
> Ask for a smoke
> Hands you smoke grenade.

>>34266947
>Darren and Kevin from Southend
Angleiron or prancer?
Consider yourself lucky they wern't from baz-vegas or harlow pikey town.
>>
>>34266947
>>34266971
> Being from essex.
> Not being on ketamine
>>
>>34266611
so is a dagger but sikh are still based.
>>
>>34266979
the guy in the india looks like a nepali man

most nepali men join the indian Gurkhas they got sent to fight for the uk durring ww2
>>
>>34267006
Yeah, even today there are indian army gurkhas and british army gurkhas, just like there was in the british indian army.
>>
>>34266420
Not a squaddie, so no experience of them as soldiers, but I grew up with them on army patches. Great guys - cheerful and patient. Lost a couple I considered friends in the Falklands. According to my father's mates, there is no finer bunch to find yourself in a scrape with, bar possibly the Black Watch.
>>
>>34266925
>"straight over the roundabout"
Well, you can't fault them for that.
>>
>>34266420
Their kids were always kind and good. Women always form groups and walk around together, never see one on their own. Always had a spooky story or two to tell, they are always well mannered.
>>
>>34266420

You need to keep them busy. It's not good to let Gurkhas go inactive for too long, they start getting a little unruly at that point. Given enough activity they'll just fine though. Mesh well culturally with the rest of us, similar sense of humour.

There's always that one guy who shows up in every Gurkha thread to shittalk them, I'd advise just ignoring him. Dunno what got his panties riding up, but he says the same dull crap every single time. Half the reason they're kept around is their recruitment is very reliable, albeit slightly more expensive. They're a guarenteed source of recruits in a short space of time.

Only been out in the sandpit with them once. They have their own ways of doing some things, and you need to be quite careful with exactly what you tell them. I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone of the beheading incident. But while they may not be as "base disciplined" as British soldiers, when push comes to shove they'll fight like fucking lunatics and still have a lot of great covert discipline. Mostly because we send them out into the jungle so damn often to keep them busy.
>>
>>34266979
>Angleiron or prancer?
>Consider yourself lucky they wern't from baz-vegas or harlow pikey town.
>>34266995
> Being from essex.
> Not being on ketamine

To be fair I changed names/towns so that people couldn't link shit back to me, but agreed - fuck anywhere in essex. I had an ex from Rayleigh and that was bad enough. Had to take the train through Basildon and she showed me the waterfront in Southend. Fuck it was dire.
>>
>>34267013
the indians also increased there gurkha regiment
>>
File: 1473493456122.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1473493456122.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>34267235
>fuck anywhere in essex. I had an ex from Rayleigh and that was bad enough. Had to take the train through Basildon and she showed me the waterfront in Southend. Fuck it was dire.
Not to worry, i always switch names round for PERSEC, i know i few lads who lurk on here, i know fair few angleireons and prancers from around town.

I'm from beautiful bentwood / romford myself, but yeah fuck the rest of essex that isn't villages.

I consider myself lucky from essex, the rough and tumble, the threats, the dodgey mates who can set you up with anything, the "legitimate buisness men", and i don't know what i'd do without my essex special on my cars and the guns

its like british texas.
>>
>>34266694
That's a whole lot of presuppositions based off of a comment on an anonymous Namibian polymer curtain rod Appreciation forum. I can do that too. You sound like a typical pretentious Eurocuck who thinks that all Americans are jingoistic and fat, and that he is somehow superior to us because he is European.
>>
>>34266420
>Do they all wield Khukuris from the same maker?

At some point in the 80s or 90s, ABRO were just knocking out Khukris for them here in the UK, made out of old leaf springs

I think the MoD contracts it out to some business or another back in Nepal now
>>
>>34267580
>ameritard so ignorant that he calls the poster who is clearly English "european" and simultaneously so jingoistic that he is violently upset at someone insulting his countryman

He wasn't insulting all Americans you dumb fuck, just that particular low quality shitposter.
>>
>>34267721
>Trying to insult me while not understanding the point of my purposely ironic comment
Slow down there big guy. I was calling out his bullshit by showing him that his schema that he has of Americans in his mind cannot be applied based off of one comment.
>>
>>34267721
>>34267816
is this some samefag troll or are people genuinely this autistic?
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.