[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Durr huntin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: ayylmao.jpg (258KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ayylmao.jpg
258KB, 640x480px
I'm looking to get into deer hunting in the fall and winter, so I figure I better decide on the weapon that will slay deer.

The laws in my state only allow anyone to hunt with either slugs or straight-walled cartridges for some stupid ass reason. (Iowa btw)

I'd rather purchase a rifle with affordable ammo so I can practice with it before I go hunting, so 45-70 and 30-30 is out of the question.

357 rifles and 45 lc rifles are a nice start. However, what about 30 carbine? Specifically m1 carbines? How would 30 carbines hold up against deer? Only reason I ask is because I think semi auto would be better than lever action for faster followup shots if need be. Plus, accessories seem to be on the affordable side and magazines are cheap.

Either an m1 carbine, or I might find a nice bow.
>>
File: IMG_2890.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2890.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
Where are you hunting cunt?! There's no one durr rifle for every environment and every deer.
>>
>>34265209
Iowa.
>>
>>34265166
.30 carbine is basically just a rimless version of .357 magnum, the stats of an average load are virtually identical, so if you were considering .357 magnum for hunting purposes than .30 carbine would suit your needs as well.

Personally though I'd go for a rifle in .44 magnum instead for deer hunting.
>>
>>34265209
Is that a tang safety M77? You have good taste sir.
>>
>>34265220
I DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT IOWA, GIVE ME FUCKING INFORMATION CUNT!!
>What's the environment like?
>What kind of deer?
>How much do you want to spend on a rifle?
>How much do you want to spend on rounds?
>How heavy do you want the rifle?
>Are you hunting from a car?
GIVE US FUCKING DETAILS!!
>
>>
>>34265255
I removed the safety, it's a m77 mk1.
>>
>>34265166
Get a Savage 220 Slug Gun.
>>
>>34265278
Pawn shop has one in .30-06 made in '72 for $600 but I'm on the fence about it.
>>
>>34265229
>average load are virtually identical
Wrong. 357 shits on 30 carbine in a rifle. Why? Because it can take bigger, heavier bullets. Which are better for hunting. It also will have more power. You got 950 ftlbs with 30 carbine and like 1200 with 357.
>>
>>34265264
oh my bad, sorry

>environment like?
Well, there's mostly corn-fields, small forrests, and rivers. I would mostly hunt on private property with everything described

>Kind of deer?
White-tail, and mule

>how much to spend on rifle?
I want to keep it around 600, I know m1 carbines that are worth more that are better than my price range, but i'll find something worth it.

>how much to spend on rounds?
I want to keep it under .50 cents a round

>How heavy do you want the rifle?
I don't want to lug something that weighs over 10 pounds I guess. That's what I like about the m1 carbine that it's light

>Are you hunting from a car?
Hell no, it's illegal to hunt from a vehicle: atv, car, truck, etc. Plus, no fun in just sitting in a car waiting for a deer. The fun is travelling far on foot.
>>
You can kill a deer with anything down to a .22LR. Most hunters settle for a moderate round, like a .270, 30-06. You don't need a carbine to deer hunt...a simple bolt action will do nicely. Savage makes very good rifles for a fair price, as does Thompson-Center. Barrel manufacturing improvements and glass bedding/free-floating of barrels have made sub-1" MOA almost standard now. If you do decide to stay with a military style rifle/caliber, practice with cheap FMJs, hunt with (and test a few) hollow points. Get a decent rifle, a good optic, and have at it.
>>
>>34265166
Any .50 BMG.

The deer will die!
>>
>>34265329

So what?

They both work
>>
>>34265341
Trust me, I would buy a bolt action; but the only legal calibers are straight-walled. I would not mind using a 30-06 but i'm trying to be legal about it.
>>
>>34265333
Now go to a gun store and tell the people there that, don't let them sell you shit just get their advice, also see if you can't join a hunting club and see what everyone there uses. You can't just ask shit on the internet, go ask people in your area with experience.
>>
>>34265166
30 carbine is trash for deer. Energy wise it would be possible but bullet selection is godawful. If you do use 30 carbine only take broadside shots within 100 yards on deer less than 150 lbs. Nobody wants to be limited to stupid shit like that so a better cartridge is highly recommended. Good options for your situation include a 44 mag rifle, any 20 gauge or 12 gauge slug gun (rifled), 450 bushmaster or a 45-70. Follow up shots should absolutely not be your main concern. Make one count with one of these rounds and shit will work out.
>>
>>34265348
Ones better, and more cost effective.
>>
>>34265380
Adding on to this, I didn't see that you specified affordable ammo. slug guns are out then. I'd just grab a 44 mag rifle in your case. You can get ammo for like 50 cents a round for practice and then pay more for the real shit to hunt with
>>
>>34265333

Marlin 336?
>>
Sorry, kanon...did not realize Iowa had done away with centerfire rifle seasons.

Maybe look at a Ruger Model 77...they made one of these chambered for .357, which means you could shoot .38 special cheaply for practice, etc.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-M77-357.htm
>>
>>34265485
>either slugs or straight-walled cartridges
>>
>>34265166
Henry Big Boy carbine, steel, .357

my recommendation.
>>
>>34265531
I honestly might go for it if finding a Marlin in 357 is impossible.
>>
>>34265553
Or there is always a Rossi in 357.
>>
>>34265560
Beggars cant be choosers, but I'd rather stick to good ol USA made
>>
>>34265575
Everything I've read about the Rossi is that its good for price. They can give you all the accuracy you would need with 357/44 ranges. Though I would rather have a Marlin. Plus it would be a fun project gun.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.