[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bowie Knife repair?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: knife problem (2).jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
knife problem (2).jpg
39KB, 640x480px
I have this bowie knife that my grandfather gave me. It has mostly minor pitting all along the blade that doesn't compromise its strength and still has most of its polished finish. (Take note that I have already removed the major amount of rust I found on it.) On the last fourth of the blade there is an otherwise minor bit of pitting. However, in the center of this, there is a very small hole going all the way through the steel. Is there some way I can have this filled with more metal? If it would ruin the temper, then tell me what you guys would suggest. (picture is my knife.)
>>
>>34263902
two options anon. just rub the blade down with some light machine oil to inhibit further rust.

Or if you really feel the need to remove that, use addative manufacturing. Probably pay someone a lot to drill, fill with weld, and then recarburize and heat treat the entire thing.
>>
Picture of entire knife please.
>>
File: knife problem (3).jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
knife problem (3).jpg
40KB, 640x480px
>>34264527
This is the knife. It is thirteen inches in its entirety. The Handle is imitation antler/horn/I don't know. Sorry for no high resolution pic. I don't have access to a higher resolution cam right now.
>>
>>34264335
>Or if you really feel the need to remove that, use addative manufacturing. Probably pay someone a lot to drill, fill with weld, and then recarburize and heat treat the entire thing.
Fucking retards cannot into smithing.

OP if the pitting is incredibly minor just go at it with the finest belt grinder you have available. Or at a machine shop if you don't have access otherwise.

Go slow in like 1-2 second increments so you don't grind off too much. Resharpen after.
>>
>>34263902
I would just rub with oil to preserve the steel and avoid future rustification, take care of the blade and sharpen it sparingly and it will last another lifetime. No need to remove material.
>>
Is there any reason for me to not get a Ka-Bar Becker BK 2 if I don't already own one? Also looking at the BK5, and the BK3 for memes
>>
File: ydmf.png (438KB, 720x528px) Image search: [Google]
ydmf.png
438KB, 720x528px
>>34264335

I'm not concerned with the roughness of the pitting. I LIKE most of it. I'm asking HOW TO FILL THE HOLE IN THE BLADE.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.