[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should Privateering be legal again?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: Pirate.jpg (52KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Pirate.jpg
52KB, 1280x720px
What do you think?
>>
>should robbery be legal again

"no"
>>
>>34258351

More like a Sea-Merc.

"A privateer was a private person or ship that engaged in maritime warfare under a commission of war.[1] The commission, also known as a letter of marque, empowered the person to carry on all forms of hostility permissible at sea by the usages of war, including attacking foreign vessels during wartime and taking them as prizes. Captured ships were subject to condemnation and sale under prize law, with the proceeds divided between the privateer sponsors, shipowners, captains and crew. A percentage share usually went to the issuer of the commission. Since robbery under arms was common to seaborne trade, all merchant ships were already armed. During war, naval resources were auxiliary to operations on land so privateering was a way of subsidizing state power by mobilizing armed ships and sailors."
>>
>>34258331
Yes.

Ron Paul used to lobby for issuing letters of marque and reprisal for private citizens to go hunt terrorists, because he claimed the 9/11 hijackers were "air pirates."
>>
File: 235325_full.jpg (63KB, 809x1000px) Image search: [Google]
235325_full.jpg
63KB, 809x1000px
>>34258374

Nowadays the letters of marque would be plastic with electronics embedded.
>>
>>34258405
>pre-paid debit card that gets $10,000 loaded on it every time you post a video on YouTube of you killing a terrorist
Someone call Trump, we need to make this real.
>>
>>34258508

ISIS doesn't have a navy. Also your profits are determined by what you bring back.
>>
>>34258577
>doesn't have a navy
My friend, listen and think to yourself about just what we mean by navy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RVsNDSZWcOI

Now.
What have you learned?
We sail across the sky in the good (air)ship "airship name here" with our privateering license, performing CAS for the Kurds (or really, just fucking up mudslimes/ISIS) with some rigged up MGs and pipe bombs.
>>
>>34258605

Exactly how much value would these captured ships bring in, compared to a modern warship?
>>
>>34258605
>We sail across the sky in the good (air)ship "airship name here" with our privateering license, performing CAS for the Kurds (or really, just fucking up mudslimes/ISIS) with some rigged up MGs and pipe bombs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVsNDSZWcOI
>>
>>34258651
>We have been talking about Ron Pauls Air Pirates thing
>Implying ships are still in the mix
Dude, he's talking about jury rigged spookies.
Fuck outta here with that navy shit.
>>
>>34258651
More than just ships.
Private CAS for troops that could be called in and paid for on the fly by different countries ("on the fly", lol, get it?)

And as for what we bring in, we'd have to hire a ground recovery force to take in loot from ISIS controlled areas after we SHOOT THE FUCK OUT OF THEM.

Can you imagine eight MG-42s hooked up with a bar through all the triggers so they fired simultaneously?
And giving them some for mm of hopper or extensions for the belts?
And coolant surrounding the barrels?

Fuck.
Broadsiding the bastards from the air.
>>
>>34258331
>>34258405
>>34258405
I have nothing to add but this is a fucking amazing movie.
>>
>>34258694
Also, we could charge the Kurds and count that as "loot"
Like, $1,000 plus materials an hour for us just flying circles and providing overwatch in a fuckin' Cessna with my hypothetical MG broadside rig.

They pay for fuel and expenditure of ammunition plus $1,000/hour.
How does that sound?
>>
>>34258700

True. It ("Down Periscope") is my favorite military comedy of all time.
>>
>>34258732

There would probably be monitoring in place to prevent that, like how taxis count distance.
>>
>>34258802
Monitoring to prevent us from doing what they hired us to do? (Stand by and wait to fuck up their enemy?)
>>
>>34258862

Monitoring to make sure they get their money's worth. I doubt they'd pay by the hour. They'd more likely pay based on what is accomplished.
>>
>>34258929
Huh.
Well, regardless, it would be an aeronautical mercenary adventure.
>>
I guess none of you kids realize that IS does actually have some AA capabilities, and when you get shot out of the sky, your kurd "friends" sure as hell aren't going to rescue you and the US gobmint definitely won't.
>>
>>34259283
>/k/
>actually caring about AA capabilities

What kind are we talking here?
Stolen Stingers?
Some Chechyan donated Shilkas?
Old Flak 88s?
>>
>>34260140
Probs whatever top of the line AA equipment you Americans gave to the Iraqi army.
>>
>tfw you'll never get to be a modern airship mercenary mowing down backwater buttfuckistanis and middleofnowhertanians for mad dosh
goddamnit, i could give less of a fuck about muh race war and all that other bullshit, i just wanna do cool shit in the air, or space. being a space pirate would be cool as fuck too.
>>
>>34260975
>born too early to be a space pirate
>laws of physics say that even if you were born in a spacefaring civilisation space pirates wouldn't exist because of the way spaceship trajectories work
>ywn be a space pirate

feels fuckin' bad man
>>
>>34258785
Is there any submarine film that is bad?
>>
>>34258700
My grandpa was a submariner during the time of the Vietnam war, served on an older diesel boat that I can't remember the name of and on the research sub USS Dolphin.

I'll always think of him when I watch this movie as it's one of his favorites. (Admittedly one of mine too)
>>
>>34259283

On one hand, it's unlikely anything that ISIS has access to could shoot down a modern airship singlehandedly. On the other hand, an airship would be ridiculously wasteful in fighting them from the amount of maintenance it would cost to repair it in between missions from having its envelope shot up. I'm talking about A-10 levels of damage only at least the A-10 is constantly mobile in order to try and miltigate the damage. A blimp would have to sit pretty in order to properly aim your "machine gun broadsides" giving ample time for insurgents to spam SAMs and rip some good sized holes in it. You would need a whole new logistics line to keep it in fighting condition, which is not something that can be supported from paycheck to paychech.
>>
>>34258331
Major countries wold have to be at war with eachother for it to make sense or be profitable.

>>34258351
Random theft is piracy. Privateers are basically naval mercenaries licensed to engage ships that are enemies to the home country and paid in plunder from taken ships.
>>
>>34262268
Airships are ridiculously vulnerable to AA.
>>
>>34262176
The Land that Time Forgot?
>>
>>34262268
>>34263421
Who the fuck said it'd be a literal blimp? He said air ship as a cheeky way to count airplanes as "ships" he even specified using a Cesna. Does your autism get in the way if everyday life?
>>
File: dp-3.jpg (20KB, 720x384px) Image search: [Google]
dp-3.jpg
20KB, 720x384px
Would a submarine be best for privateering?
>>
thread theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIwzRkjn86w

>>34263989
>Would a submarine be best for privateering?

if you mean killing ships and closing sea lanes then yes

if you mean capturing ships then no

you can't get a war prize or any loot if you break a ship's back with a Mark 48 or turn an oil tanker into a roman candle with a Harpoon missile(I guess if you had a really old sub with a deck gun you could capture ships)
>>
>>34258331
Yes
>>
The aerial aspect of this makes me think more area 88 than pirates.
Been thinking the age of drone mercs is about on us. Private contractors taking the PR heat for large contracts and offering on demand services for smaller.

What do you need? High gain antenna with a bigger amp than the rest. Satelite uplink to take orders and to sell photage/ data to clients. Various purpose built UAVs and an air conditioned killdozer RV with simulation cockpit.

Offer CAS, observation, low orbit com relay services, the odd suicide drone with biometric data from terrorist playing cards, battlefield courier/delivery services, etc.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.