[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /k/'s opinion on pic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: tomclancy.jpg (161KB, 800x1681px) Image search: [Google]
tomclancy.jpg
161KB, 800x1681px
What's /k/'s opinion on pic?
>>
Without Remorse was fantastic when I was like 15
>>
Good for a brief moment during the 80's, then fucked off and left everything to ghostwriters.
>>
I like the Rainbow Sprinkles pic
>>
>>34258306

This. he had some gems here and there but ended up getting lazy, using his name to sell shit and doing very little work.

Lot of real popular writers do it though.
>>
>>34258306
Which ones are good?
>>
>>34258328
read them all for yourself and form your own opinions
>>
>>34258328
Hunt for Red October, Red Storm Rising, and The Sum of All Fears.
>>
>>34258328
Everything up to Rainbow Six.
>>
>>34258572
These plus Debt of Honor, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, Without Remorse, and maybe Rainbow Six (just because it's OG tacticool operator fiction)
>>
>>34258284
Met him multiple times when I worked for Putnam and did bookshows (yes I'm oldfag)

Sumna Fears was the last decent book everything after is shit. Red October was his best.
>>
>>34258284
the only tom clancy book ive read cover to cover was rainbow six. It was by far one of my favorite fiction novels
>>
I enjoyed red storm rising in middle school but upon rereading it some of the dialog is kinda hammy/goofy.
Are the other books like that?
>>
>>34258284
Writes at a 10th grade level, which is about the last time I enjoyed one of his books. Still, the basics were there so I guess I can't complain too much.
>>
like the rest have said, pretty decent read up to and including the original rainbow six.
now,if you're looking for non stop tacticool action,hit up Vince Flynn's series about Mitch rapp. easy and fairly quick reading despite the size. just a good ol ameribro James bond operating operationally almost exclusively against Arabs and ruskies.
>>
>>34258772
Yes. His "storytelling" in most books is just an excuse to move from one scene to the next so he can describe a weapon system or intelligence tactic in autistic detail.

You have to realize that shit like Foxtrot Alpha, War is Boring, and /k/ weren't around when he made his millions (because no internet, duh). He was the only guy in the game who would talk about high-tech military shit (or at least bullshit about it believably) through his own research. While there were a lot of people putting out spy books, he pretty much invented the "techno-thriller" with an emphasis on technology and equipment.

His only peer in this regard was Michael Crichton, but Chrichton didn't write about war or spies or political intrigue and fun stuff like that.
>>
>>34258284
created a whole genre and then whored it out for every dime he could. Lived the American dream.
>>
>>34258284
Is it kosher to wear the hat if you haven't served on the ship?
>>
>>34258572
Red Storm Rising is well written but I thought the main plot was complete nonsense and the ending extraordinarily un satisfying. But the denouement was good overall.

Red October remains my favourite. You're rooting for just about everybody, even the bad guys, because they all come off as just humans with a job to do.
>>
>>34258284
Japanese sausage.
>>
>>34259737
Yeah, if you are Tom fucking Clancy
>>
>>34260010
Do military fags like him that much? I would think they'd be annoyed since he never served and just wrote some books.
>>
>>34258353
Where do you think you are right now?
>>
>>34258602
I liked Rainbow six when I was 14
>>
>>34260010
*if* he were to wear that hat, it shouldn't have scrambled eggs on it imo.
>>
>>34260035
Most milfags who read Tom's books are officers. They generally don't give a shit about petty things like that. He was also friends with multiple generals and high profile defense industry people.

Also: Navy ships sell caps like their out of their storeroom for family members and friends. It's a prop to support the service. Wearing one isn't considered stolen valor unless you claim to have served aboard the ship.
>>
>>34258301
I finished it again for probably the 5th time. I'm double that age but it's still a fun read.
>>34259991
Kek
>igetthatreference.png
>>
>>34260272
Once again. they sell/give them openly as swag to civilians. It's likely he got his from the CO of the boat at the time or someone with even higher rank.
>>
File: tom.jpg (25KB, 503x487px) Image search: [Google]
tom.jpg
25KB, 503x487px
>>34260035
Clancy was never in the military thus I find the picture a little offensive. Second what really has ticked me and all other older military types off is this: If you look at the scarf he is wearing it has white stars on a field of blue. This particular display is reserved for "Medal of Honor" winners only. It is/was a blatant attempt to portray himself as something his is not and never will be. He is not all that popular with "real" military veterans. Small thing yes but to those what have been decorated in true military fashion it is offensive.

The hat is Navy. The jacket is off the rack ( WW II look alike ) and the military emblam is "Military Airlift Command" all of which he was none
>>
>>34260410
The sticks that you have shoved so far up your ass, you shove them up there yourself or do you get your fag lovers to shove them up there for you?
>>
>>34259991
In a Chinese taco.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.