[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /k/unts, We recently got a few new pistols at my place of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 13

File: File_000 (1).jpg (1MB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
File_000 (1).jpg
1MB, 1920x1440px
Sup /k/unts,

We recently got a few new pistols at my place of employment. I hadn't managed to get much hands-on time with them until now, and I thought some of you might like a quick look at them.

First up, the Beretta APX. Contrary to what Mac says, I don't think the trigger is all that great compared to a PPQ, VP9, or other newer striker guns. I'd even prefer a stock 4.5lb Glock trigger. The profile of the trigger itself is quite nice, but the huge trigger safety is a negative for me. The slide design is quite good though, and you can get a good purchase on it from just about any angle. The grip ergos are good, and with the replaceable grip panels the pistol will fit most people. Even me, with my Hicookian hands. The machining quality seems good as you don't really notice any tooling marks anywhere but in the top of the slide, where it doesn't matter at all. Magazines hold 17 rounds and seem well made, like any other Beretta magazine. Trouble is, they're proprietary to the APX. I'm not sure why they chose to make the striker safety pin protrude from the slide when you pull the trigger, but it does. Whatever, I guess. I haven't played with the modularity yet but it looks promising. Overall, this one seems well worth the price at around $500.
>>
File: InkedFile_001 (1)_LI.jpg (770KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
InkedFile_001 (1)_LI.jpg
770KB, 1440x1920px
To field strip the APX, you pull the slide back slightly and either bull the trigger or push the button shown here to release the striker. Using the trigger makes more sense to me, but whatever.
>>
File: File_002 (1).jpg (638KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
File_002 (1).jpg
638KB, 1440x1920px
>>34254967
Once you've released the striker, you can then VERY FUCKING FIRMLY push the takedown lever inwards from the right side of the pistol, until the lever itself is offset from the side of the pistol like shown. This is a bit of a pain in the ass and will take some getting used to.

Anyway, once that is done, all you need to do is flip the lever down and the slide kicks itself forward. You then slide it off the frame and proceed to dig at its naughty bits.
>>
File: File_003 (1).jpg (616KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
File_003 (1).jpg
616KB, 1920x1440px
Generously gigantic slide rails in the APX. Everything seems reasonably well thought-out and well made to me.
>>
File: File_007.jpg (520KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
File_007.jpg
520KB, 1440x1920px
Feed ramp is nicely polished, though this is starting to become normal these days. The external chamber profile on the APX barrel is a bit wonky but it works.
>>
File: InkedFile_008 (1)_LI.jpg (843KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
InkedFile_008 (1)_LI.jpg
843KB, 1920x1440px
Quality of machining seems high on the APX. The only area where you can see tooling marks is in the upper portion of the slide I've marked. But I've seen this same thing in many pistols these days and it doesn't bother me personally.

The rest of the slide is well made, and some of the imperfections you'll see toward the rear are bits of dust from a rag I'd just used. Didn't notice until I was already off work.
>>
File: File_005 (1).jpg (767KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
File_005 (1).jpg
767KB, 1920x1440px
The recoil spring is a double captured type like what is becoming common, but it looks like a ham-fisted attempt at it. The 509's spring looks a lot cleaner but this one feels a lot better despite how it looks. Pardon the fuzz.
>>
File: File_009 (1).jpg (1MB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
File_009 (1).jpg
1MB, 1920x1440px
Next we have the FN 509. I haven't watched any reviews on this turd but I feel like I don't have to. The trigger is abysmal. Take-up is sloppy, and the break feels like a long squish with a wet branch-like break to it. The slide has serrations in the front and back which is nice, but they aren't very deep so it is easy for your hand to simply slip when you're moving quickly. The grip ergos are quite good, but they always are for me on FN pistols as I have large hands. The external machining quality is outstanding, and the rigidity of the frame is stellar. The internal machining leaves a lot to be desired, however, and the pictures will show you what I mean. The action just feels gritty and sluggish even after several hundred rounds. The magazines are garbage on these. The seem to mostly function, but loading them is a bitch for no apparent reason. Rounds get hung up easily no matter what method you use to load them. I'm really disappointed in this pistol because I genuinely like most of FN's handguns. For a retail price of around $575, I'd avoid it until they un-fuck it.

To take it down, line up the notch with the takedown lever and flip said lever down. Pretty straightforward, unlike the APX.
>>
File: File_003.jpg (692KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
File_003.jpg
692KB, 1920x1440px
Note the much smaller slide rails on the 509, compared to the APX. This may have something to do with the action being much less smooth. The rear rails are also slightly crooked, turns out. I didn't notice until I'd already put the camera away. They appear to be two cast parts that are inserted into the frame.
>>
File: File_000.jpg (526KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
File_000.jpg
526KB, 1440x1920px
The 509's feed ramp is nicely polished.
>>
File: File_002.jpg (910KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
File_002.jpg
910KB, 1920x1440px
Lots of tooling marks, as you can see. Though the machining of the rail tracks is good.
>>
File: File_001.jpg (875KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
File_001.jpg
875KB, 1920x1440px
The 509's two-spring recoil system seems much more well thought-out than the APX, but in practice it isn't nearly as smooth and is needlessly heavy.
>>
File: ProfilePic.jpg (81KB, 458x338px) Image search: [Google]
ProfilePic.jpg
81KB, 458x338px
Anyway, that's it. If you have any specific question I might be able to answer them.
>>
Does beretta make a manual safety for the APX?

I'd like to use one for instruction as well as range toy, but need a manual safety
>>
are the 509 mags compatible with other fn pistols?
>>
>>34254936
What's your favorite striker fired 9mm?
>>
>>34255246
According to my product catalog they only offer one model at the moment with no manual safety. If you need a good pistol for instruction and require a manual safety, maybe look at the M&P 2.0? 1911-style safety lever is easy to use. Or maybe look at a CZ P10C. They can be ordered with a manual safety I believe.
>>
>>34254936
Any reason I shouldn't buy the APX?
>>
>>34255281
CZ, Glock, and HK are my personal favorite striker guns.

>>34255262
FNS and 509 magazine bodies are the same, but the base plates are different. We swapped them at the range and they work fine. The reason is FN designed the 509 magwell with the intent to make it easier to manually pull a stuck magazine out. More purchase area on the baseplate.
>>
>>34255322
Lack of aftermarket would be the big one for me, when you have so many other established options. For $500 or possibly lower, its a great standalone product. If you aren't invested in other platforms and don't plan to want, say, a mag-compatible carbine, then the APX would be a fine first striker gun.
>>
>>34255262

From other forum posts they are not. You can get the base plates then convert FNS magazines into FN 509 magazines. For this reason and the constant new release of models with no backwards compatibility of parts or magazines is why I refuse to look at FN pistols.
>>
>>34255322
Also, the serialized part is the receiver pack which can me moved to other frames that Beretta sells. If the platform gains in popularity, APEX or others may make trigger kits to round the pistol out and other manufacturers may make custom frames. That last bit has me particularly interested.
>>
Cool.
>>
>>34254936
>Contrary to what Mac says
MAC is also the guy that threw a VP9 repeatedly at steel and a tree and called it "unreliable," as well as shilled a Tavor during an AK tribute video.

Anyone who is smart shouldn't listen to anything he has to say.
>>
>>34255246
>muh safety
I bet you're afraid of assault clips too
>>
>>34255322
It's uglier than a glock, if thats even possible
>>
>>34255094
>The recoil spring is a double captured type like what is becoming common, but it looks like a ham-fisted attempt at it.
This is pretty standard for the industry. It's not elegant, but that doesn't appear to matter.

>>34255120
Did you test if the frame goes *squishy-squishy* in direct sunlight?

>>34255148
>Note the much smaller slide rails on the 509, compared to the APX. This may have something to do with the action being much less smooth. The rear rails are also slightly crooked, turns out.
This doesn't strike me as a deal-killer. There are lots of durable, reliable, accurate pistols that have frame rail nubs instead of a full length channel. I don't think this kind of system is inherently any better or worse, just different.
>>
>>34258137
Calm down kid, not everyone wants to be a cool cowadooty operator like you
>>
>>34258169
It's ribbed for her pleasure
>>
>>34254936
>Gloves
You a Homosex?
>>
>>34254936
>Update
what is this thread about?
>>
>>34255120
Well, that's not a glowing review.
I've been looking at a FNS9C for $360 to replace my S&W 669.

Should I hold off?
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.