[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /k/ know how to read a map? When have you found this skill

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_4117.jpg (3MB, 3264x2416px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4117.jpg
3MB, 3264x2416px
Does /k/ know how to read a map?
When have you found this skill useful?
My colonel said that losing your map is as bad as losing your rifle.
Has a map ever saved your life?
>>
>>34250819
It's a good thing to know where you are and how to get to where you want to go innawoods, OP.
>>
>>34250819
when I was in jrotc we did land nav courses and challenges over the summer

easy as fuck if you have two brain cells to rub together, to this day I still don't understand why some people can't read maps. It's literally
>find where you are
>use your compass and see where north is
>find where you want to go
>get fucking going
admittedly they teach you all this complicated shit about paces and heading but honestly you're better off just following landmarks and elevation
>>
File: IMG_3004.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3004.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
If I blind folded someone and dropped them where I live with a map and compass they would die.
>>
>>34251027
Edgy
>>
>>34251058
I've asked in many map threads. If you are blindfolded and dropped in the woods how do you know where you are. Nobody has answered without some stupid "look at the terrain" comment. When you are in a forest you can't see shit.
>>
>>34251027
Of course they would die, they wouldn't be able to see the compass or the map

>you really didn't thing this through did you anon
>>
>>34251027
HA. Leave someone in my desert for a matter of hours and they'll be certainly died.
>>
>>34251089
You'd ideally locate two different landmarks, 3 is better, and can fix position based on that. Bodies of water are also very good.
>>
>>34250819
I learned orienteering in high school during outdoor education class. That was a fun class. If I remember correctly we: went spelunking in the crawlspace under the school, biked a 5k down to the local sonic and back once a month, prepared a meal to feed us all for $1 each on an esbit stove in a field behind the school, had to hike at least once a week outside of class and document it for homework, and our final was a relay race that involved orienteering, building a tent as fast as possible, cycling, and I think archery.
>>
>>34251027
>>34251107
Casuals. You need a closed circuit life support system to even live where I'm at.
>>
>>34251134
coirious..
>>
File: 1481764792756.jpg (234KB, 1023x651px) Image search: [Google]
1481764792756.jpg
234KB, 1023x651px
>>34251089
Probably a lot of walking around while keeping track of your distance and direction walked and the slopes of what you're walking on.
After a while you can try to match this data to the map. If it's a giant a flat forest I guess you're screwed.
>>
>>34251089
Interesting
You would be pretty hard pressed to find your location on a map without a GPS or at least a set of coordinates

>>34251113
I find this very helpful, i reckon bodies of water would be your best friends in a situation like this
If they're represented on the map you could even guess your location based on the shape of a lake or something
>>
>>34250944
this. I taught it ,yself a few years ago. And I was pretty amazed how easy it is, especially when you have a "real" hiking or military map that's 1/25000 or 1/50000
check landmarks, check where you are, grab compass, go. it's faster and easier than using the fucking phone
>>
>>34250944
>but honestly you're better off just following landmarks and elevation
No. With the correct heading you can walk in the correct direction no matter what weather or light conditions you are in. In areas without landmarks as well.
>>
Yeah, I love doing long hikes and practicing navigation. I love maps in general, they have something about them. They have the beauty of something that is incredibly functional and useful on top of their aesthetic appeal, it's kind of a magic appeal. I sill get excited looking at contour-lines and features then re-creating the landscape in my head. I'm not a great navigator because I don't have as much experience as I'd like, I need to improve my skills without using map and compass for instance, but I do honestly love it.
>>
I got my private pilot license back in the days when we were all still using paper sectional charts instead of iPads with ForeFlight installed on them, so yeah.
>>
Can read a map np. Using a compass to do degrees and shit is another story.
>>
>>34252249
Learn it. It's not hard at all. Slap a compass on your map facing the direction you want to go, turn the rotating dohickey North, then to find where to go you just rotate until the North arrow is on the hole in the dohickey and you're good.
>>
Carry it anyways, but just learn to look for landscape features, find a creek on the map and follow it. You'll spend all fucking day cutting through bush or climbing up hills if you set your compass and then follow it.
>>
>>34250819

All the maps I touch are either SECRET or CONFIDENTIAL, so losing my rifle would probably be better for me.
>>
File: The_Final_Solution.jpg (142KB, 1274x1001px) Image search: [Google]
The_Final_Solution.jpg
142KB, 1274x1001px
I've lived in my town all my life and yet I can't remember street names or the major nearby highways. I need Google maps to get most anywhere and without GPS I'd be constantly lost and never get anywhere. So it's a solid no, I have horrible navigation skills.

But I like to pretend I can operate.
>>
>>34250819
i would say being able to "read" a map was an essential innawoods skill.
probably not so much orienteering type skills, but rather situational awareness type map skills.
do know how to determine a back azimuth,etc.
>>
>>34252267
kinda this.
one of the best ways to learn map skills is to use one on established hiking trails, and to compare to what you see.
>>
>>34250819
Reading maps is easy. It's being able to figure out where the fuck you are relative to anything else that's the hard part.

>>34252274
>CONFIDENTIAL
thats not even that high, it is in fact literally the lowest level of classification

I think losing Pro B or C documents is a potentially larger offence

>>34251089
If you're in the deep woods you're fucking FUCKED m8 it's probably more productive to just pick a direction and hope you hit a trail at some point

your best bet though is to look for things like radio towers or visible bodies of water or other landmarks to use as references, and then from those, you can use their bearings (using a compass) to get where you are on the map using a sliding rule. (you set the sliding rule on the map on the correct bearing relative to north on the map, then slide it to the landmark, and draw a long line. repeat for every landmark, and where they intersect is where u at)

if you're very obviously at something major you can just navigate from that but this is assuming you're just in the brush a good distance away from anything notable
>>
>>34250944
so you mean you did ez-mode where the terrain let you use terrain association the whole time
>>
>>34252274
i feel ya
i bought one that's funcionally the same as the one we get on exercise just to practice a bit but i'd imagine you wouldn't want this info falling into the wrong hands
>>
>>34252818
>It's being able to figure out where the fuck you are relative to anything else that's the hard part.
well for me its kinda easy, but i may be the exception rather that the rule.
pay more attention to what you are looking at (visualize it) than to a compass face.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.