[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Naval Mine Warfare

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: original.jpg (400KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
400KB, 1600x900px
How does minesweeping actually work?
>>
mines are still a thing?
>>
>>34243791
My layman's guess would be a combination of sonar and depth charges.
>>
>>34243791
>PING
>PING
>PING
that's how
>>
>>34243791
One on a corner makes you a mourner.
>>
>>34243852
Yea, naval mine is the biggest cause of USN ship sunk or damaged after Korean War.
>>
File: Cap 2017-06-13 22-52-56-413.png (68KB, 594x451px) Image search: [Google]
Cap 2017-06-13 22-52-56-413.png
68KB, 594x451px
>>34243889
forgot the pics
>>
>>34243889
With all the modern detection bullshit ships have these days (not to mention their insane engagement ranges) I thought naval mines weren't used anymore.
>>
>>34243791
There also is an airborne laser mine detector mounted on helicopters.
>>
>>34243914

Kind of an area denial type of weapon. Jamming sea lanes or ports, and slowing a naval asset down.
>>
>>34243914
mine itself technologically has evolved, like advanced integral sensor, use of sound absorption material and etc.

That's the reason why modern navies tried to use minesweeping unmanned vehicles to counter the countermeasures.
>>
>>34243914
It has its use as area denial and overall messing with the guy who wants to approcah your shore. Low risk/high consequence sort of thing that you can't afford to ignore. Even if they don't cause any damage it takes an awful lot of time to sanitize an area which may throw the pretty schedule you planned for your littoral operation down the shitter.
>>
File: mines.jpg (16KB, 306x165px) Image search: [Google]
mines.jpg
16KB, 306x165px
>>34243791

Depends what mines you're after. Old-timey contact mines? They're still in warstocks all over the world, and still swept as they've always been with a float wire and oropesa. However mine clearance is a complicated, as tactics for different mines at different depths vary. Generally though for modern littoral/shallow shelf water mine clearance the big concern is ground mines, which sit on the bottom and can't be swept like a moored mine. Any decent modern mine will have multiple trigger options (acoutic/magnetic/pressure) linked up to a computer processor. Mines like these can be programmed with target signatures to allow them to distinguish friendly/enemy/civilian or high/low priority targets, and timing devices to activate only after an amount of time or number of ships have passed over.

Combine this with decoy mines, booby traps and camouflage, these make clearance of shallow water a nightmare. So for these situations minehunter vessels with low magnetic, pressure and acoustic signatures are used, which use either clearance divers, or (preferably) remotely controlled mini-subs to ID and blow up mines. As a rough definition, minehunter= vessel for detecting and destroying individual mines. Minesweeper= vessel which destroys mines which are not detected beforehand, such as by sweeping with a wire or an EM sweep. A mine countermeasures vessel combines the capability of both a Minesweeper and Minehunter into one ship.
>>
>>34243914
Still very much used. When you can deny whole sea-lanes and threaten a billion dollar warship with weapons which vary in price from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars and can be dropped out of a garbage scow, small navies would be fools not to.
>>
>>34243914

Still a big problem. The US and UK base minesweepers in the gulf to deal with the never ending threat of them.
>>
fiberglass boats drive around and look for mines, either explode or capture, IDK but boats are made of fiberglass
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.