[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Parts maintenance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: recoil-spring.jpg (227KB, 800x1326px) Image search: [Google]
recoil-spring.jpg
227KB, 800x1326px
Is there a reasonably wide shared consensus on round count for replacing a pistol's recoil spring?

I made the mistake of googling it, and found answers ranging from 10000 to 5000 to fucking 500. Other people wait until they begin to see FtFs, but considering the spring is the only thing preventing a bunch of metal parts from smashing together, I'd prefer a general round count.

Also, other than lubrication and recoil springs, any other periodic maintenance you feel more people should do?
>>
>>34243572
Your rounds should be ejecting in the same direction at a consistent distance away every time if your shooting stance and how you hold the gun is consistent. As your springs wear they will eject further and if you notice that, thats when you change your springs.
>>
>>34243726
Is that an all or nothing thing? Wouldn't the spent casings eject further and further as the spring gradually wears over time?
>>
>>34243767
Yes thats what i said. As the springs wear they will become weaker, your slude will move faster making your riubds eject farther. A new recoil spring with a new hammer spring or striker spring should work together in to slow slide movement enough the eject round at about 5-8 feet away in a handgun. Anything more means your springs are weak and is enough to get new springs since your slide is moving too fast and will be battering the frame. Anything less and your gun may not cycle properly because the springs are too strong.
>>
>>34243780
Of course running hot loads or light loads will make it eject farther or shorter and hot loads may cause more wear from the slide battering the frame and light loads may not cycle properly. Which is why a lot of guys set up their springs to specific loads.
>>
>>34243572
It depends on the pistol and round. Some spring designs are more resilient and they vary in length. When a spring is particularly weak you'll notice just from racking the slide that the resistance is weak. When you start getting malfunctions then you can worry about it, but for something like a Glock the higher estimates are correct. It takes a long time for even a service model to wear down to that point.

The figure for 500-1000 is for larger rounds and pistols like Desert Eagles, not basic 9mm. Stuff like .357sig and 10mm puts more stress on the internal parts and frames in general.
>>
PPQ on the left. Whats the one on the right?
>>
5k is a good rule of thumb. 500 is officer 1911s
>>
>>34246008
PPX. Cost reduced version of the PPQ with a different grip and probably some other missing features.
>>
$32,000 question: Should I count dry fire practice into round count? I probably pull the trigger on snap caps at the same rate I go through training ammo a month.
>>
>>34243572
pester the mfg with emails and calls until the give you a number.
>>
>>34246150
And now called the Creed. thx.
>>
>>34243572
It depends on the gun. HKs seem to be good to go for around 8,000-12,000 rounds, depending on who you ask. Glocks are recommended to have the recoil spring changed after 3,000-5,000 rounds. I'm not sure what the CZ 75's rating is, but I've bought a few OLD surplus CZ 75s and I've never gotten one with a noticeably weakened recoil spring.

Most guns will still be shootable with weakened recoil springs - usually just feeling a little more snappy or ejecting brass farther than usual, maybe failing to feed a round fully into battery - but Sigs are known for having constant malfunctions when their recoil spring is old, FTEs and stovepiping everywhere.

Depending on how much you shoot, it couldn't hurt anything (and can only help, in terms of preventing damage to your gun) to change the recoil springs in all your guns at regular intervals, maybe 1, 2 or 3 years depending on how much you shoot. I've seen plenty of old guns from the early 1900s that have NEVER had their recoil springs changed and they still shoot, so it's not like they wear out just being in the gun, but again, it couldn't hurt every once in a while.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.