[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So this IPSC instructor shot himself in the chest...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 4

File: image[1].png (438KB, 620x348px) Image search: [Google]
image[1].png
438KB, 620x348px
At a competition in Kamloops, BC, Canada, Dr. Richard Cho apparently fumbled his pistol and while grasping for it managed to pull the trigger and put a round into his chest. He died. Just bad luck? Or does the press have it wrong? Aren't grip safeties a thing with IPSC? Pardon my ignorance, I only shoot a bit of .22lr for plinking and mostly airguns, no idea about IPSC gear. Anyone here who was there? Apparently 120 competitors there for the weekend.

This was the poor fellow, a chiropractor:
http://backdr.ca/about/

And here's a couple of news stories about it:
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/vancouver-man-dead-after-shooting-himself-during-pistol-contest-1.3455715

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-man-dies-after-accidentally-shooting-himself-at-target-range-1.4156624

Not trying to be disrespectful, just wondering mostly about how a thing like this can happen to a shooting instructor. I mean I guess race car drivers get killed in crashes, and recently a marine died when his parachute failed to open... so I guess something like this is just part of the game?
>>
>>34238098
>Dr. Richard Cho apparently fumbled his pistol and while grasping for it managed to pull the trigger.

Bummer. Not sure if a grips safety would have covered him though, since he could have gotten his hand around that too.

> How a thing like this can happen to a shooting instructor

I wish training past a certain number of hours made you either bulletproof or gave you bullet-time, but it never does.
>>
>>34238098
>i gotta go fast
shit happens.
>>
>>34238098
One of the first things they tell you during pistol training, or at least the basic training courses I've been through, is that if you drop a gun, you let it fall. And then stare at it for a minute before picking it up and think about how big of a dumbass you are.

And no, there is no grip safety requirement.
>>
Mistakes happen

Mistakes with guns, just like your example of race cars and parachutes, have bad results
>>
>>34238216
it's not like it would have helped him in the competition, IIRC dropping your gun during a stage is good for a DQ.
>>
>>34238098
so full metal jacket rounds do work.
>>
>>34238098
>Dr. Cho
>Canada
Rike pottery
>>
>>34238254
no, he forgot to shoot himself with tiny fmj rounds to build up his immunity
>>
>>34238254
Even more unusual, it appears they got him to the hospital within a reasonable amount of time and he still died despite it being just a pistol round.
>>
Just a pro tip, if you drop or fumble a weapon of any kind, a handgun, a rifle, a knife, a sword, even a fucking hand grenade... DO. NOT. ATTEMPT. TO. RECOVER. IT.! Just let it drop. My uncle has a WWII bringback Japanese officer's sword he was showing to my cousin, it fell out of the sheath and he attempted to grab it as it was falling. It basically cut his hand in half, trying to fumble with a hot firearm is obviously just as bad if not worse.

Firearms are a fun thing, but please keep in mind you are handling a deadly machine designed to kill things. Do not take it lightly. Just as when you are driving, keep in mind that you are hurling a 2000 pound missile made of steel and glass toward other people, and you are in said missile.
>>
>>34238306
That's Canadian healthcare for you.
>>
>>34238236
fuck thiiiiiiiiiiiis
>>
>>34238306
if more people in canada go shot the doctors would be better and fixing gunshots
>>
>>34238379
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Canadian ERs weren't tip-top regarding gunshot trauma. Bet they cure the fuck out of a moose mauling though.
>>
>>34238254
>>34238398
kys
>>
File: 1430794348778.jpg (73KB, 500x308px) Image search: [Google]
1430794348778.jpg
73KB, 500x308px
>>34238371
>tried to grab a 4 foot long razorblade in motion
>>
>>34238405
I wonder if Canadian surgeons/emt close to the border crosstrain at American hospitals. Detroit is almost a stones throw away from Canada so it wouldn't be difficult
>>
>>34238264
Chinese has R's, Anon
>>
>>34238432
So does Japanese, yet those gooks still manage to fuck it up when they try to speak english.
Trust me, chinks are the exact same.
t. hongcouver
>>
Do Open guns still have drop safeties?
>>
>>34238427
Detroit is pretty much a whole lot of kilometres from BC. Like, really far. Perhaps Toronto or Sudbury surgeons go to Detroit for lessons in gunshot treatment, but here in BC things tend to be a little more laid back, mostly. We get the odd gangster shooting the odd other gangster now and then but I think the whole province is up to around 10 murders for 2017. Detroit does that in a week, right? And we're just north of Washington and Oregon. Not too much blam blam going on down there either.
>>
>>34238471
No. The closest Japanese has is a alveolar tap, like the "tt" in "otter."
They don't contrast /r/ and /l/ like Chinese and, of course, English
>>
>>34238490
>Detroit does that in a week
more like 2 days
>>
>>34238098
My buddy's dad is a "master shooter" in IPSC .45 limited and he pins the grip safeties on his comp guns.
>>
Shit like this is the reason I have seriously considered wearing soft armor during 3-gun competitions. I'm more concerned about someone else fucking up, but it's not like I'm immune from mistakes either.
>>
>doctor of chiropractic
Well, it seems he had a history of terrible life choices.
>>
>>34238506
Oh, so speed is everything. Guess all it took was grabbing the trigger as it tumbled then. Shit. Any chance a modern competitive pistol could have fired on impacting the concrete floor, assuming the range has a concrete floor?
>>
>>34238513

THIS!

He might still be alive.

RIP Buddy
>>
>>34238519
Chiropractors make bank, yo
>>
>>34238520
He does it because he has like a high/light grip on the gun and he doesn't activate the safety normally. I don't know if it helps with speed, maybe. All that being said he also uses "custom" light loads when he's in comp to lessen recoil. How light? No idea but his reloads shoot nice.
>>
>>34238520
for all we know it never had a grip safety in the first place.

it wouldn't surprise me if an open gun wasn't drop safe to be honest.
>>
>>34238539
So do many professions of ill repute, but money doesn't wash away the terribleness.
>>
>>34238555
>chiropractor
>ill repute
Dunno man, I like having my spine in place
>>
>>34238562
>he doesn't know it's a scam
sad.
>>
>>34238520
>Any chance a modern competitive pistol could have fired on impacting the concrete floor, assuming the range has a concrete floor?
quite decent actually considering how many people are against firing pin blocks since it "ruins the triggerpull"
>>
>>34238490
Thats lower than I thought, I figured Vancouver would get a dozen at least. I'm in Oregon myself, yeah there's not much murdering going on
>>
>>34238571
It can't fix your allergies, or your cancer, but there are definitely some benefits.
>>
>>34238296
As an avrage american do i start with .25? Or since im around guns all day can i jump right into a .380?
>>
>>34238590
My wife swears by her chiropractor, who actually has an office not too far from where Dr Cho's practice is. Funny thing though - her shoulder and back issues never get fixed for longer than a few days. I keep suggesting careful, gradual strength training, but she prefers Candy Crush after work.
>>
>>34238610
>she prefers getting fucked by her chiropractor and playing on her phone when she has to be with you

Fixed
>>
>>34238471
现在我住在中国
You're full of shit. Maybe Cantonese speakers can't use 'r' but in Shaghai they sure as hell can。
>>
>>34238620
It's time to admit you have a problem obsessing over what other men do with their penises, /pol/. This shit's not healthy.
>>
>>34238643
>/pol/
It's /r9k/ that thinks all women are total sluts
>>
>>34238620
heh heh, yeah, no. I've met him. no. He's nice and all but kinda gay and his practice is far too busy and tiny for that sort of stuff to happen - not enough privacy nor time.

And yeah, let's leave the penis placement thing out of this. It's a gun conversation.
>>
>>34238643
Accusing me of being from /pol/ is a step too far, I was just making a shitty joke
>>
>>34238420
To be fair when you drop something your immediate reaction is to recover. It takes a lot of training to overcome reflexes like that. I agree it's a dumb move, just saying it's a dumb move thats ingrained in us.
>>
>>34238250
But a DQ is much better than a bullet to the chest
>>
>>34238098

It doesn't have to be part of the game. Not all guns have grip safeties, and some people pin them in hopes of shaving a few more seconds. He might of been a very good shooter and instructor, but he made a mistake. I don't see it taught as much but I always learned if you start to drop a gun, let it go. This story shoes how sad the outcome can be.
>>
>>34238666
I use a lot of sharp tools in my work, have handled sharp knives since childhood, so I learned LONG ago not to grab a falling blade of any type. My reaction is to follow the motion and move my feet appropriately, getting anything meaty the heck out of the way. Guess that's part of why I asked the original question; made me puzzled that an experienced competitor and trainer would grab for a falling dangerous object like this. Seems to be asking for problems.
>>
>>34238667
exactly, what im saying is that nobody who thinks "i gotta go fast" is gonna reach for their dropped gun cause once you drop that shit it's DQ time, doesn't matter what you do.
>>
>>34238684
in the heat of competition sometimes people do stupid things. not that most people would grab a falling gun but its not hugely surprising that it happens.
>>
>>34238626
Shanghainese is sort of a funny dialect, just never ever listen to songs sung in it, its horrifying
>>
>>34238666
That would be some really silly training too. Just looking like an idiot, trying to figure out as many ways as possible to drop your gun and not catch it. ...that sounds like something a DI would come up with lol
>>
>>34238684
I was talking about the old man grabbing for a sword. Yes you would think the competition shooter would have known better. It seems like there's a stage where someone is a little experienced in something and very careful, then get very experienced in something and still mindful of safety, then inevitably reach the point where they get cocky/complacent and think they're above it all
>>
>No mention of what gun it was.

any guesses ?
>>
>>34238419
jta
>>
>>34238753

i'd put money it being a tanfoglio.
>>
>>34238734
You're taking me to literally. I mean the more broad mindset of staying focused on what you're doing with personal safety in mind.
t. factory worker for longer than I care to admit. If something falls, get out of the way and let it fucking fall
>>
>>34238821
Exactly. This attitude is something thats easy to forget in a competition, but its probably even more necessary there than anywhere else
>>
>>34238098
Shit happens
>>
>>34238821

Back when I use to work washing dishes that was always my first reaction. If I dropped a knife back away and let it fall.

This man was probably thinking on getting a high score and not on his personal safety.
>>
>>34238513
That's actually not a bad idea at all. You'd probably get laughed at though.

Shit like this is why I don't mind safety features like trigger disconnects, etc. Imagine being in a locker room or gun cage with a bunch of other shoddily trained cops as they gear up.
>>
>>34238910
>You'd probably get laughed at though.

I figure I probably would. But I see it the same as wearing a parachute when you fly a small plane. Sure, some of the other pilots might laugh at you for being overly cautious, but they wouldn't be laughing if you had to bail out of a burning airplane and that shit saved your life.
The place I shoot 3-gun occasionally has guys show up from Pendleton that compete in plate carriers, and nobody gives them any shit. I know I've gotten peppered with ricocheted birdshot on occasion, even breaking skin a few times. Some of the stages we shoot has steel at too short a distance in my opinion.
>>
>>34238098
It turns out guns are dangerous. That's why we have all the safety rules.
>>
>>34238490
>And we're just north of Washington and Oregon. Not too much blam blam going on down there either.

Let me tell you some shit, canuck, and tarnish your views of your closest neighbor. Harborview medical center has one of the best rated trauma centers on the west coast, both for volume and success rate. Seattle sees more gunshot victims than any town north of LA, thank you sanctuary city. Now my particularly shitty hometown of Everett, 112 miles south of your border, regularly ranks around the 35th highest rate of crime for metropolitan areas in all of America.
>>
>>34238236
Yeah, pretty much, just like a knife
>>
>>34238236

This.

Better the auto-DQ for dropping a loaded weapon than dying. There are two types of competitors: those who have DQ'd and those who have yet to DQ.
>>
>Forgetting stuff you should have learned the very first day of firearms safety instruction.
>>
>>34238306
Hmm do we know if he knew the Clintons?
>>
>>34238626
Shanghai Ren are the niggers of china
>>
A lot of competitors who shoot the 1911 style gun have their grip safeties pinned down. The 1911 also has a a thumb safety, but as he was shooting a stage at the time, it was not engaged. It is my understanding the gun struck a window sill as he was bringing it back in after shooting through a port. The gun fell and discharged.
>>
>>34238098
I think I've seen this guy on TV competing.
Bummer.
I think ntnfancy of youtube fame always wears some kind of body armor while shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Y4Ky8P-lk
>>
>>34239273
I thought those were those Fujianese. Or are they the spics of China?
>>
File: 1302103393968.jpg (30KB, 352x500px) Image search: [Google]
1302103393968.jpg
30KB, 352x500px
At least he didn't shoot someone else.
>>
no videos of the incident?
>>
>>34238506
I thought you could not disable any safety mechanism? Or is that IDPA?
>>
>>34239273
Chinks are the niggers of asia
>>
>>34238371
That Japanese officer got his revenge on the Americans like 70 years later, damn.
>>
File: 1497240794551.gif (2MB, 383x204px) Image search: [Google]
1497240794551.gif
2MB, 383x204px
>>34238098

>Chiropractor
>"""doctor"""
>>
>>34238659
I smiled, thanks anon

These guys are just being faggots
>>
>>34238910
>probably get laughed at

Just put a second layer over it, you still won't look as chubby as some of the fat fucks who come to these competitions
>>
>>34238432
But not L, like he is suggesting with his post you moron
>>
>>34238666
>To be fair when you drop something your immediate reaction is to recover.
Except my normal reaction is to stand still and let it go wherever (especially with coins) before trying to pick it up again, even when it is a sensitive object that I really should try to catch before it hits dirt.

Maybe its just learned behavior from batting away one too many objects into the distant yonder whenever I try to grab falling things.
>>
>>34242542
Despite being a bachelor, or maybe because I am, when I drop things its usually in the kitchen; knives or forks or plates of hot food that you really do not want to catch. Its definitely learned behavior
>>
>>34238562
Yes it does. See common Chinese surnames like Liu, Li, or Leung.

You moron.
>>
>>34244286
Meant for
>>34242460
>>
>>34238098

in another week or so the videos should be at liveleak

somebody must have gotten this
>>
>>34238254
This is how you know this fucker is Zed
>>
>ctrl+f "competition will get you killed"
>no results
>>
>>34238484
Most are pinned so they are permanently off.
>>
>>34238236
Unless you bought a Taurus, when you spend a few minutes thinking about both mistakes while you look for your toe.

>>34238555
you need to actually do labor instead of sitting at your desk all day to understand why it's a valuable field
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.