[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going DA/SA from DAO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

File: 239-nitron.jpg (45KB, 700x600px) Image search: [Google]
239-nitron.jpg
45KB, 700x600px
I'm getting my first 9mm CCW pistol. I've spent the last 2 years shooting a PPQ, so the logical choice for appendix carry was the PPS with it's 3" barrel.

At the range the other day, I got to try out a gentleman's Sig 239. I *really* enjoyed the feel of an all metal pistol in the hand. That 10lbs/4lbs trigger though did a number on my accuracy on the first magazine.

So I have a couple of questions if /k/ can answer them.

1. The 239 isn't that much longer or taller than the PPS with the 7+1 mag in, but it is a good .5lbs heavier. For anyone that carries all day, will that .5lbs make much of a difference? Also, how much will I miss being able to just dump the pistol in a cargo shorts front pocket?

2. How long will it take to get accustomed to the SA/DA trigger pull (not to mention the odd decocker/slide release placement) coming from DAO? Also, is it even a good idea to mix the two if I'm going to continue to shoot my PPQ at pistol competitions?

3. The 239 is nearly over 2x the price of the PPS. What is that extra $400 going towards besides that nice all-metal frame?
>>
File: 1496258269301.jpg (77KB, 720x480px)
1496258269301.jpg
77KB, 720x480px
Big DA/SA fag here: I own 2 P226's and 2 PX4 Compact Carries
>>34233548

>1. The 239 isn't that much longer or taller than the PPS with the 7+1 mag in, but it is a good .5lbs heavier. For anyone that carries all day, will that .5lbs make much of a difference?

It's all in the belt and holster. Get a solid gunbelt that is stiff enough to hold the weight of the 34oz gun and a reload, a high quality holster from someone like JM Custom Kydex or Raven Concealment (that makes holsters for the 239) will go a long way in comfort and concealment.

There will be absolutely a difference in a PPS and a P239 but it's nowhere near as painful or uncomfortable as you would think. While the P239 is a single stack, it's more along the lines of a Glock 19 sized gun, slightly thicker at that.

>2. How long will it take to get accustomed to the SA/DA trigger pull (not to mention the odd decocker/slide release placement) coming from DAO? Also, is it even a good idea to mix the two if I'm going to continue to shoot my PPQ at pistol competitions?

Training how to use DA/SA is not hard at all. All it takes is a little bit of deliberate practice, dryfire and patience. I will post links and resources on this matter in my next post.

I personally think the Sig's decocker placement is great. I can decock without altering my firing grip by simply using my off-hand thumb to sweep down on the decocker. As for the PPQ thing, it is absolutely best to streamline your handguns you use as jumping around isn't optimal but I personally don't think it's that big of a deal as people make it out to be.
>>
>>34233548
1. I would IWB with a really stronk belt to cinch it even with the extra mass. It would be do-able.
2. Takes less than one mag to adjust, certainly less than a 50 box of range ammo.
3. You nailed it. Molding operations are typically less costly than machining. Metal adds mass, and that can be a good thing. The P239 also comes in .357 SIG and .40. I'd personally like a metal frame over plastic to control inertia.
>>
File: 1466670776656.jpg (642KB, 2880x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1466670776656.jpg
642KB, 2880x1920px
>>34233607
cont;

If you do wish to stick with carrying DA/SA, it would not be a bad idea to use it in competition. Ernest Langdon (pic in previous post) is a huge advocate of DA/SA and he has reason to believe that the initial double action pull can actually be a benefit in getting a quicker initial shot.

Some good resources on learning how to properly utilize DA/SA pistols I like to post around here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsoX26OhDCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZplH6zreQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nod5qLlSGUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU4v5i5c42k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7YdjrvB718

>3. The 239 is nearly over 2x the price of the PPS. What is that extra $400 going towards besides that nice all-metal frame?

The name, really. I like Sigs but me along with other Sig fans can admit that they are grossly overpriced for what they are. Which is why I only buy Sigs that are either CPO or LE-trade ins.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/category.cfm/sportsman/used-firearms

They had a recent sale on 9mm DA/SA Sig trade ins that included a very good condition P239 for $550 iirc.

Absolutely look into trying out DA/SA. I think it's an excellent way to safely carry and shoot. A Sig SP2022 or CZ P07 would be two good options in terms of trying out DA/SA as they go for right about $400 new.
>>
>>34233548
I loved my P239, I still kick myself for selling it years ago. Carried it daily, tucked, in an office environment.

If you decide to get it, do yourself a favor and get some Hogue G10 grips of your preferred texture. It makes a world of difference. I had the basic checkered pattern, they were great.
>>
>>34233548
And yes, you're paying for the name a little bit in that price, but you're getting a pretty refined gun too. The full-length rail contributes to mechanical accuracy. Also, I found my Sigs to respond very well to the "$0.25 trigger job". Super-smooth and clean break after I did that.
>>
File: 1488500074663.jpg (25KB, 222x293px)
1488500074663.jpg
25KB, 222x293px
>>34233666
>The full-length rail contributes to mechanical accuracy.

Not this thread, please. STFU
>>
>>34233548
>Also, is it even a good idea to mix the two

not unless you are planning a shit ton of practice

for your carry gun if you need it it will be in a hurry and your brain will be busy trying to figure out what is going on, you very much need the draw-aim-shoot muscle movements to be as automatic as possible

fucking up with the safety or trigger crap will get you killed in real life
>>
Just get the PPS, forget about the nostalgic feeling you get with "muh metal" handgun. Guns are tools, they don't need to look cool or satisfy your autistic urge to be a narcissistic hipster. You are already used to the ppq, why train with a new trigger? Just because you think it's cool? Get one for a range blaster and if you are objectively better with it, then switch over.

PPS m2 is probably the best single stack edc piece around. The striker indicator on the rear of the slide should be standard for all striker fired pistols, it's akin to the "gadget" developed for the Glock. Just put your thumb on the rear of the slide while reholstering - if something gets caught in the trigger guard, you will be able to prevent the trigger from being depressed. The only reason I sold mine was because a fully loaded G26 is identical in weight, both are 26 oz fully loaded.
>>
>>34234824
What do you think of the CCP?
>>
>>34234985
I have one
Just returned TODAY from recall repair as a matter of fact
Great trigger pull
Horrible trigger reset, barely audible, weak click at the very end of trigger travel
Other than trigger reset, a very good gun
>>
>>34235240
Do you have any strong opinions on the static barrel and gas blowback system or do they not factor in for you? If you're not the guy I responded to, do you have opinions on the PPS? I'm looking for a Walther for CC but renting guns in northern Illinois is a tedious process so any feedback beforehand helps.
>>
>>34233548
I carry a P6 IWB with a decent belt and "meh" holster. I feel the weight but no more than I would notice a large watch I wore everyday. Sometimes I get poked, but its not a big deal.

Smaller guns are fine, but I'm more comfortable carrying a weapon 'm more proficient with.

performance > comfort imo.
>>
>>34235286
The gas blowback system is the exact reason I selected this. My wife is the primary user. She needed less "recoil impulse". Is that the correct term?

She also has a Walther PK380 which she loves.

The CCP is virtually identical to the Ruger SR9C in size. The CCP is about 1/2" shorter, but the Ruger double stack has a thinner handle. The CCP has a lot of magazine well webbing for reinforcement, as well as a textured grip which has some wide-ish wavy sections. The Ruger has some smooth front corners of the grip which do not help. The CCP grip stipling is very good. If the CCP does not feel good in your hand, you don't have a human hand.
>>
>>34235357
>performance > comfort imo.

But you can have both.
>>
>>34235358
I appreciate it. All that sounds pretty consistent with what I've heard about the pistol, it's thicc but hard and does its job very well. It just doesn't fit the current pocket pistol paradigm of shaving off everything you can for the smallest numbers on the spec sheet. I'm a bit of a geek for novel mechanics so I'm willing to spend efficiency in return for interesting designs that work well, my only concern is if the PPS is truly a better cc pistol. It sounds like CCP's novelty is very effective.
>>
>>34233548
I'm a Sig fanboy but the P239 is the size of a Glock 19 with half the capacity IIRC. Why not get the P320sc?
>>
>>34234985

I don't know much about it other than it is a defective product.

However, I've wanted a PPS since they began production. The only factors that dissuaded me from acquiring one was the backstrap safety system which rendered the gun unusable if the backstrap was removed and to a lesser extent, its $650 price tag. I bought the M2 revision immediately after it dropped and found it to be a wonderful gun, but I couldn't justify its place in my admittedly small and pragmatic arsenal. Too large and heavy for uber-discrete NPE carry whist also stacking up poorly against typical AIWB/OWB carry pieces.
>>
>>34236542
>I don't know much about it other than it is a defective product.
Are you referring to the recent recall or some other defect?
>>
>>34236390
Love my P320sc
>>
>>34236390
OP here. Just liked the feel of an all metal frame. If I stick with polymer, I'll probably go with the PPS just to keep the controls similar and the dimensions and weight down.
>>
>>34236903
Have you considered CZ for metal frame firearms? Again, I'm a Sig fag but consider all your options. Good luck.
>>
File: P239-40 compared to P938.jpg (565KB, 1200x1599px) Image search: [Google]
P239-40 compared to P938.jpg
565KB, 1200x1599px
The P239 is heavy. Yes, the weight does matter for comfort, and half a pound is a huge amount of difference between two handguns. It doesn't have anything to do with your height, as the majority of shitposters on /k/ would like to suggest. That said, the P239 is intended for concealed-carry, so it's not TOO heavy, but IMO, there's no reason to carry that extra weight.

For the capacity, the P239 is also pretty big. See pic related. In my experience, it balances terribly in the hand, but during actual shooting, it's a very soft shooter. It's one of the few pistols that really feels good when shooting .40 caliber or even .357 Sig if you are feeling frisky. It isn't snappy at all in those calibers, but it just feels way overbuilt for 9mm.

Getting used to DA/SA can be very difficult. You can think you've got it under control, but then when you practice drawing from a holster and firing at targets, especially after shooting single action or DAO pistols for a while, you could easily screw it up. You really need to be able to draw from a holster for live fire practice to know if you've got it down, which not a lot of ranges don't allow. If you can get into competition shooting, that will help A LOT.

>3. The 239 is nearly over 2x the price of the PPS. What is that extra $400 going towards besides that nice all-metal frame?
Absolutely nothing. Also, the metal frame is a liability, IMO. Exeter does not do the anodizing correctly on the frame rails of their guns, so in actual practice, the frames are prone to premature wearing on the rails, which leads to chipping and eventual cracking of the frame - unless you use their special cum-textured gun grease. Using regular gun oil on the frame rails is a death sentence for an Exeter Sig, which is fucked up, IMO.

I would strongly prefer the Walther PPSM2. You can get them for $350 online and Walther has a $100 rebate going, so that's $250 for a fantastic carry pistol. Full disclosure: I carry a Sig P938 and don't own a Walther.
>>
>>34237009
I shoot DA/SA handguns and am thinking about a single stack for summer carry. How do you feel about your p938? would you recommend it?

Also, know of any other good ass sub compact 9mm single stacks with a thumb safety i should be looking at? only one i can think of is the shield but that things safety looks awful.
>>
File: RugerLC9s.jpg (31KB, 475x391px) Image search: [Google]
RugerLC9s.jpg
31KB, 475x391px
>>34237130
My favorite
>>
File: IMG_1616.jpg (85KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1616.jpg
85KB, 1280x720px
>>34237130
Now you're throwing single actions into the mix? Jesus OP make up your mind.

Look at the CZ Raami, it's da/sa but could be carried cocked and locked. 10 rounds of 9mm and pretty good aesthetics. Most reviews are HIGHLY positive. Not my cup of tea but there you go
>>
File: IMG_1617.jpg (419KB, 2591x1935px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1617.jpg
419KB, 2591x1935px
>>34237191
Here's a size comparison

It's metal framed just like you like baby
>>
>>34237191
1. That wasn't me.
2. Not going to screw with SA since a thumb safety sounds even more difficult to train around than DA/SA.
3. That CZ is fucking adorable.
>>
>>34237250
They also make a model (2075 bd) that is decocker only.

They come from the factory with a 14 round backup gun
>>
>>34237287
*magazine, as well as three dot tritium night sights

You can get them for 550-600
>>
>>34237130
Person you replied to here. I like the P938. It has a good trigger and is really small. Not too fun to shoot, as it kicks like a mule, but I'm a good shot with it. I don't feel like it's difficult to shoot at all. The design has some inherent flaws, but I haven't had any issues with mine yet.

>>34237191
He's clearly not the OP.
>I shoot DA/SA handguns
Were you paying attention?
>>
File: IMG_1618.jpg (68KB, 640x420px)
IMG_1618.jpg
68KB, 640x420px
>>34237350
>were you paying attention?

It's not the SATs!
>>
>>34237009
250? that's a steal
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.