[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Water Cooled Browning 50 Cal MG Why? For what purpose?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: WNUS_50cal-M2_MG_Army_pic.jpg (14KB, 259x349px) Image search: [Google]
WNUS_50cal-M2_MG_Army_pic.jpg
14KB, 259x349px
>Water Cooled Browning 50 Cal MG
Why? For what purpose?
>>
>why not
>>
because water cooled machine guns are the only firearm capable of continuous fire without overheating
>>
>>34228066
because barrels get hot, water helps cool them.
>>
>>34228087
Would you ever see them used in modern times?

Also I recall there were quad mounted 50 cals and those were air cooled rather than water cooled.
>>
The metals for machine guns in the 40s are inferior to the ones we have today, they were more susceptible to overheating.

We no longer need water cooling because we have much better alloys to produce our guns with, allowing them to be air cooled instead.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZczrWr2nc
>>
>>34228100
I'm pretty sure its more because firing continuously is wasteful and stupid, and we fire in short accurate bursts instead. Its a change in doctrine, not metallurgy.
>>
>>34228093
Probably because by the time those were put in use aircraft were much faster, meaning shorter time with plane in range, which means shorter bursts, which means less worry of overheating. The multiple guns made up for the slow rate of fire.
>>
>>34228100
We no longer need water cooling because we don't need to use them to fend off huge waves of infantry, or use them as artillery, WWI style.
>>
>>34228131
He's talking about the quad 50 AA mount from ww2, has nothing to do with aircraft mounted machine guns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M45_Quadmount
>>
>>34228254
Ok, but how is the does that change anything I just said? All the principles I mention would stay the same regardless.
>>
>>34228130
Nigga the metal they had then is significantly worse than what is used in current barrels. Doctrine aside, saying that has not been a change in metallurgy is pants on head retarded.
>>
>>34228100
> I pulled this 'fact' out of my ass
>>
>>34228100
Don't ever post on my board again.
>>
File: aku nomnom.gif (267KB, 241x170px) Image search: [Google]
aku nomnom.gif
267KB, 241x170px
>>34228066
killing gooks
>>
>>34228313

It changed some but I doubt that much. You easily fuck a barrel by firing a thousand rounds or so.
>>
>>34228296
Because the model for the quad AA mount and hte model put into aircraft are different versions of the browning.
>>
>>34228066
not going to lie, it would be cool just for the hell of it to make an updated water cooled machine gun that uses modern coolant and radiator fans like on a computer.
>>
>>34228066
>So you can boil water for your coffee while mowing down human-wave attacks...
>>
>>34228187
Yet
>>
>>34228100
I really hope this is bait, during trials for a water cooled browning they fired 40k rounds without stopping, try that with your superior metallurgy
>>
I wonder why a lot of vehicles these days don't have a water jacket.
>>
Implying the military needs a purpose.

It's only retarded until you confirm it!
>>
>>34228066
IIRC, watercooled M2's were pretty common on warships as light AA. It makes sense, really - you need sustained fire, and the added weight doesn't really matter to a warship weighing several thousand tons.
>>
>>34228066
For non-stop warfare
>>
>>34228066
To give the Covenant back their bomb.
>>
https://youtu.be/RFcxuOzsoXA
>watercooled gun
>bad
>>
>>34228093
Russia and Ukraine still use them I think
>>
>>34232116
was this designed for the elephant man or something

the angle of the trigger alone makes me upset
>>
its more cost effective and easier to carry spare barrels then to have water cooled guns. metals and designs are better now so that an influx of air as well cools the gun better then wwi times
>>
>>34228066

For shooting more 50 caliber for longer than just the air cooled version?

am i being rustled
>>
>>34232410
I think at this point Ukraine has scrounged up everything including museum pieces into use.
>>
>>34228313
Nigger WW2 was the initial use of proper metalurgy in firearms
4140 then was the same as 4140 now
>>
>>34228078
FPBP
>>
>>34228066
For crashing this plane
>>
>>34232944
God bless that country and it's military.
>>
>>34232100
this
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.