[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Australia reporting in. Recently I've been looking at getting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

Australia reporting in.

Recently I've been looking at getting myself a side-by-side 12ga. for birds and a recent feral pig problem at the property where I shoot. I already own a .22LR (TOZ 17) for the birds, but I wanted something bigger, and I really enjoy the aesthetic and satisfaction of loading a break-action side-by-side. The trouble is, the things seem to be expensive in the first place and I've got the Australia Tax to deal with. With that in mind, since it'd be my first shotgun I'm pretty uneducated on what to look for in a used side-by-side when I inspect one to make sure it'll actually be worth the money and not either fall to pieces or blow my fucking hands off.

I've taken a look around, and the two nearby gun stores have a couple of shotguns out. The closest one only has two very nice looking side-by-sides in store for $1,350 AUD (Used). They look very nice and the wood seems to be in good condition on a brief inspection, and the metal is nicely engraved (Discoloured by some kind of treatment, looks like) The one I got a closer look at was an CZ I think, and it had something inside the rim of the end of the barrel that I couldn't identify, it looked like an inverse cog.

The other gunstore has a much wider variety of sbs shotguns, including a Brescia Sterling in "Very Good Condition" for $470 (that's the image in my post), but also sell brand new CZ Ringnecks for $1,325 AUSD

My question is: If I were to go back to inspect these shotguns, what should I look out for? What are signs of a shotgun in good or bad condition respectively? Or should I be looking for a better deal elsewhere, either buying from someone personally or going further afield for another gun store? Also, would a coach or a full length shotgun be more suitable for someone who isn't very tall?
>>
>>34220781
Well mate I think if you want a double barrel brake action you'll be happier with a quality over under
I'm preferential to Brownings myself
But there are plenty of manufacturers that produce high quality over unders
Speaking of under, you know if you take a "holiday" to the states
Girls will throw soaked panties at you just for your shrimp on the barby accent
> Yes yes I know you can them prawns
>>
>>34220865
I'm not sure about the over under. Honestly it's the aesthetic of the side by side that draws me.
>>
>>34220874
Hmm well I don't know a damn thing about side by sides
Sorry mate
I hear cz's aren't bad though
>>
>>34220900
Yeah, I'm excited about the brand new CZ Ringnecks available. I was talking to the bloke who ran the first gun store, and he was telling me that buckshot will put a pig down. Was he telling the truth or fucking with me?
>>
>>34220963
00 shells or slugs will do the job
>>
>>34220963
00 and 000 works fine on pigs
With a hunting shotgun you really want to look for 2 things- ejectors and chokes
You want to eject the shells clear of the breach for rapid reloading and the ability to choke down your shot patterns so they scavenge a bit more range. Plus a decent safety which is easy to use is also important, I actually like double barrels for pig shooting because they're great for quick follow up shots and simple enough that they're not likely to fail.

Generally the O&U format is more common than the SxS and it has its advantages for accuracy.
>>
>>34220781

Go for an over and under. Lot more variety to choose from. Also more of a chance to pick up a good quality second-hand shooter from a shotgunner who is wanting of offload their gun.
>>
OP Here

I've had a bit of a poke around and I'm really liking the look of one of these two here. What are the brand reputations of these? The first one is a Brescia Sterling, and the second is a CZ Ringneck. The former is going for $470 used in "very good condition", and the latter is going new for $1,385

https://www.thebarn.net.au/Products/Brescia+SxS+12Gauge/50360

https://www.winchesteraustralia.com.au/products/SHARPTAIL12
>>
Did some more research. Apparently the CZ Ringneck is a good, dependable gun. The only problem that seems to crop up is that the trigger weight for the left and right barrel are about 2 pounds different.
>>
suggestions for a $1500 rifle (without glass) chambered in .308 thats good out to 500 yards? do not want rem 783
>>
>>34223402

Check out Cleaver Firearms website. Plenty that would fit your budget.
>>
>>34223402
Browning X or A-Bolt, Steyr Pro, Winchester 70 and XPR, Sako A7, Ruger 77... there's quite a few for 1500.
Win 70 is an easy pick, as is the Sako A7
>>
>>34223402
Pretty much this>>34223458
Can't recommend the Winchester M70 enough. I've had one in 30-06 for 5 years and bring it on every hunting and range trip. It's also got the best bolt out of my collection.
>>
>>34223458
>>34223517
thanks guys, tossing up between the mod 70 or the sako a7
>>
>>34220781
Fellow ausfag here, and also Toz 17 owner funnily enough. I've also got a Baikal MP43KH. It's a newly side-by-side, they can be had with and without external hammers. They have screw-in chokes and are proofed for steel shot, they can be had brand new for around $850. Mine's been great, feel extremely solid.

Else I've heard decent things about the CZ Ringnecks, Brescias to an extent too - anything Italian will be reasonable.

When buying 2nd hand, make sure the action all locks up tight. Check for splits in the woodwork, and any pitting in the barrels. Also be careful if you're shooting steel shot (for ducks) to make sure the gun's made for it.

Ultimately, keep lurking usedguns for a good deal on something Italian is something I'd suggest, else the Baikal is a solid choice if you so desire.

>>34223402
Tikka T3s are nice for Sako quality without the price, some of the Tikkas run up to that price.
>>
File: KIMG0638.jpg (3MB, 1836x3264px)
KIMG0638.jpg
3MB, 1836x3264px
Here's a bird gun for you
>>
>>34223556
They're both fairly comparable in accuracy, the Sako A7 is basically a Sako 85 with cheaper stock and a few other minor differences (this is their lowest priced gun- they will go higher $$$ if you want more options on them)
The WM70 is usually a much nicer stock, typically wood and generally an A1 fit finish for the same money as the A7
Trigger pull on the Sako is adjustable between 2-4lb draw and the Winnie is adjustable between 3-5lb
Bolt throw on either is sweet and fast, because they are very high quality guns.

I also completely forgot (well fuck it, there's a lot of them...)
>>34223892
Tikka T3s are very nice, accurate workhorse guns and also have the same trigger as the Sako, I doubt you'd be unhappy with one.
>>
>>34220781
As a European hunter I can tell you that any central/eastern european side-by-side will work great as long as they were taken care of. The most important thing when looking at shotguns is the barrel that must not be corroded from the inside or in other words it must be perfectly smooth. another thing that is important is the barrel locking mechanism. it must be opening the barrels properly without the need of much force. other than that i would say that the wood condition is not that important.
>>
>>34220781
CZ makes good doubles(they are made in Turkey) I've got a Upland that I like. However that seems like a high price, in the US a Ringneck ought to be under $800. You can't go wrong with a Browning though.
>>
>>34223252
The Bresica looks good, personally I think it would be hard to go wrong at that price. See if they will let you shoot it before you buy. Even if they won't I'd still probably go for it.
>>
>>34220781
get an adler up ya cunt
>>
>>34223402
Howa 1500
Sub MOA guarantee
$600 or less at Cleaver Firearms
Do not get a Remington for the love of God, their QC has hit rock bottom and their price tag is as high as ever.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.