[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how often do you interact with war veterans? i'd be interested

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

how often do you interact with war veterans?
i'd be interested to hear other countries too, american here

i work in a computer shop near a lot
we talk about vietnam, several ww2 but they are starting to go quickly now.
>>
>>34220372

I rode the scenic railroad in Colorado/New Mexico. Saw a WW2 vet. Wanted to buy him a beer. Didn't and regret it. He looked as good as a 50 year old.

My first patient in nursing school landed on Omaha Beach. RIP Jack S.
>>
>>34220372
Yeah, buddy was a nurse in Afghanistan.

Probably going to kill himself drinking.

>Shamalan: I was actually the one who turned him onto drinking when he came back.
>>
>>34220372
Taught in S.Korea.

Every other person you talked to was a "veteran".

Kek.
>>
>>34220372
Was a volunteer at a local museum, most of the other volunteers and quite a few of the staff were vets. I remember speaking to a few Korean War vets, really nice guys and very polite. Would talk about some general stuff from the war, but usually didn't elaborate other than saying "it was really cold" when pressed. Other than that I had an assistant teacher in Junior High that turned out to be a Marine vet during Vietnam. Stunned everyone in the class since this guy did not in any way indicate in dress/speech/behavior that he had been in the military, and yet one day when the class is covering Vietnam this thin older gentleman wearing nerdy as hell glasses brings in a projector and the first thing we see is a scrawny kid with the same glasses in a Marine uniform in a photo from 1967.
>>
>>34220372
My church is just full of veterans from every era from WWII to OEF/OIF, when ever they have one of those Men group meetings its like the local Veteran's Legion walked into the church. Its pretty chill t b h
>>
>>34220372
My religious studies teacher at secondary school had seriously messed up hands.
Found out that he'd been SOE during WW2, and had been tortured by Gestapo.
>>
>>34220372
My cousin dates a vet who's an obnoxious cunt.
"Not everybody should own a gun" is essentially his catchphrase.

Only one I know irl, other than that, when I go on /k/.
>>
>>34220372
I run the gun counter at a big box. Vietnam vets are common and they usually talk loads of shit about AR's then commend the 1911's as the best service gun ever made.
These are the easiest consumers to convince to buy a handgun or shotgun because they don't trust AR's but think any 1911 or pump action shotgun is better than their old issued rifle.
>>
Canuck here. Family is a mix of Allies and Axis, all of whom I got to meet with and talk about it.

Great Grandfather on my mother's side: RCAF electrical engineer. 1940 - 45. He was an engineer in name, but often that involved having to clean out bits and pieces of men from the Lancasters. Told stories of the air crews afterwards just fucking shook to pieces. The smallest noises would send some into a panic. Stable and cool in the air, but wrecks when they were safe.

Great Grandfather on my father's side:15 years in the Reichwehr/Wehrmacht 1930 - 1945

He saw a lot of shit, marched through Poland, the Low countries, France and then the Eastern Front until the end of the war. Rotated out, but always ended up back there. Last months of the war, he was assigned to Walther Wenck's 12th Army and helped break through the Halbe Pocket. Got trapped in it for four days and lost half his company. Ended up braking out and leading a few hundred civilians west to the Americans. After the war he went back home to Hamburg, found out his family was dead, so he migrated to Canada and started a second family.

Grandfather, who married my Grandmother on my Mom's side was Danish child who went through the occupation. He was a little scoundrel who the Germans took a shining to. He started feeling some empathy to the common German soldier eventually. He was the last one with real war experience left in the family, but he has dementia now. sucks.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.