[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I bought my first rifle last year. It was a remington 700.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: vtr1.jpg (13KB, 800x268px) Image search: [Google]
vtr1.jpg
13KB, 800x268px
So I bought my first rifle last year. It was a remington 700. After floating about on here for quite some time it didn't take long to realize everyone shitting all over the remington. Should I just trade it in for a different rifle? What rifle would /k/ suggest that uses 3.08 rounds.
>>
Do you like it? Does it work fine?

Then keep it and don't worry.
>>
>>34212753
Fuck these guys, remington 700 are god-tier rifles as far as accuracy.

Most of the guys here on /k/ are shit shots if you havent noticed.
>>
>>34212753
One thing to ensure is to that your barrel is free floated.
>>
>>34212773
>>34212808
Haven't had any issues with it other then the inevitable rusting. And I do like it, however since it's my first personally owned rifle, i think it's hard to dislike something that you have nothing to compare to. Know what I mean?
>>
>>34212821

It is not free floated. I was considering buying a new butt stock for it to have it free floated.
>>
File: float.jpg (188KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
float.jpg
188KB, 1024x768px
>>34212845
Nah, just take the barrel off and use some sandpaper to polish it off until you can slide a dollar bill between the barrel and stock all the way down
>>
>>34212830
Coat that thing in CLP before storing it. also put some of those moisture absorbing pellets in the case.
>>
>>34213163
Polish the stock, not the barrel btw
>>
>>34213188
Dont listen to this guy.
Sand directly to your barrel. You might also want to file slits into your barrel, to oxygenate the bullet as it travels through. The more air in your barrel the more push the bullet gets
>>
>>34212753
get another 700 chambered for .223 Rem and shoot more for less
>>
>>34212753
700's are great actions. If you have the VTR like the pic just replace the stock with something better. Bell and Carlson stocks are a great deal. If you don't like the trigger then you can't go wrong with a Timney.
>>
>>34213271
And then get another 700 chambered in .22lr and shoot for even more cheap
>>
>>34213271
>>34213344
dont listen to these guys get a remington 700 bb gun and cast your own bbs if you really wanna shoot cheap
>>
>>34212753
It's just a rifle...fuck what anyone says...shoot it and get good with it...enjoy yourself. The internet is a 50/50 mix of facts and total bullshit...enjoy your rifle and learn to think for yourself!
>>
The main thing that sucks about Remington is the finish.
I have an R1 Enhanced that is a fantastic shooting 1911 for the price. Great trigger, sights, nice barrel/bushing lockup, etc. Fucking horrible finish started noticeably wearing before the thing even got to its first range trip.
>>
>>34213163
If it's a wood stock a bill's worth of clearance might well not be enough to cover for the stock warping in different temperatures.
>>
>>34212753
>3.08
What kind of a frankencalibre is that?
>>
>>34212753
get a good scope for it, I'm talking really good
when the happening happens you can sit in your ghillie suit and pick off anyone who comes within a mile of you
>>
File: remington.png (3MB, 4298x5198px) Image search: [Google]
remington.png
3MB, 4298x5198px
>>34212753
Funny this came up, I'm actually shopping for a similar rifle right now. I want to into precision shooting but on a really tight budget, and also hunt durr for the first time this fall.

I hear a lot of bitching about Remshit. Is it better or worse than Savage? Cause those are pretty much my only options at this price range.
>>
>>34214505
>>34214505
Savage is much better
>>
>>34212753
you got something against mossberg? mossberg patriot is about the same price in .308
>>
>>34214515
Ok, but then why's it so much cheaper? Why does anyone pay an extra hundred bucks for Remshit if the Savage is better?

Also, anyone else have the problem that you can't find a cheap rifle in a cheap caliber? All the cheap rifles I can find are in like .243 or .270 which all cost like 75 cpr around here, .308's clearly the cheapest but no local dealer has a cheap rifle in .308, and no one sells them used. It's a pain in the ass
>>
>>34214570
Define: cheap
>>
>>34214570
Because savage doesn't make their guns look nice.
>>
>>34214577
Cheap rifle: Ideally sub $250, might pay more if I buy new but not much more.
Cheap caliber: Can be bought for less than 60 cpr in small amounts, less than 50 cpr if in bulk.

So, my choices are pretty much .308 or Mosin, and I really want a scope which rules out the Mosin.
>>
>>34212753
I have a Tikka T3x lite and it's noice
>>
>>34214641
They sell Tikkas in auscuckistan?
>>
>>34214607
Nah mate, Gorrilla Glue + Clamping pressure and your mosin too can have a badass scope.
>>
>>34214705
haha I'm not gonna just glue on a scope, I'm not that poor.
>>
>>34212808
Yeah, shame they are garbage brazilian shit tier at ejecting, cycling and reliabilty.

I don't know how they managed to make a bolt action unreliable and jam so fucking much but they did after thousands of dollars in R&D.
>>
>>34212753
I would've got a Savage because of Remington's rust issues but just keep it lightly oiled and you'll be fine
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.