[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Personal drones and warfare

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: Manhack.jpg (146KB, 752x640px) Image search: [Google]
Manhack.jpg
146KB, 752x640px
So I was talking about this with some friends on discord- how drones can still revolutionize warfare.

I got thinking about Manhacks from Half Life 2. Yes, it's vidya, but with all the advancements being made in drone technology, I can see these becoming very, very plausible in the coming future. Cheap, disposable drones that can inflict some physical damage but ENORMOUS psychological damage. You can release some of these in a combat zone and completely scare the shit out of an opponent.
>>
File: lol501.png (1MB, 800x851px) Image search: [Google]
lol501.png
1MB, 800x851px
>>34206349
Yeah, but people like to try and stay to conventional means when not in wartime. This could happen if we get another all-out war like WWII (note: PPSH bombrack), but that may not happen
>>
>>34206349

Imagine loading them with lethal injectable or aerosol chemicals.
>>
File: prometheus-scanner.jpg (42KB, 450x270px) Image search: [Google]
prometheus-scanner.jpg
42KB, 450x270px
>>34206349
Maybe not as a weapon platform but I can see small drones getting better and better at information gathering / eye in the sky / early warning / patrol / reconnaissance roles.

Something like the scanning and mapping drone in the Prometheus movie.
>>
>>34206464
The thing is drones are getting so cheap you could conceivably have irregular groups deploying these and controlling them with mobile phones or controllers.
>>
You know the combine use them in very practical ways.

Turrets hold down shit that they don't want to waste guards on, or to aid in guarding.

Roller mines can plant themselves and chase passing targets, they also can latch onto vehicles disabling them/making them hard to drive. The only way to get rid of them is to force them into water or blow them up... and to mention they have a habit of being explosive themselves and can often go off in a chain reaction.

Man-hacks can be deployed in mass or personally via metro-police. They can really overwhelm people in large numbers.

Scanner drones provide recon as well as blind targets with a flash, making them also useful as a suppression device. They also tend to try to suicide crash as a last resort.
>>
>>34206720
This. After using one in GR wildlands Im tempted to make a nice durable, pirtable one
>>
>>34207941
Exactly. And these are very viable IRL, especially the scanner drones and manhacks.
>>
>>34206349
Why only scare? Put explosive charge on drone and it will kill target. Oh wait, guided missiles were killing vehicles for decades. Now its time to expand this technology on killing humans.

>sound of future war
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPXG1W7gCjY

>>34206720
>>34208080
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOeCZDBHrJs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SATijfXnshg
>>
I made a thread about this months ago and everyone was talking shit about the idea of drones giving your position away and easily being shot out of the sky.
>>
File: 1374435662102.jpg (59KB, 577x512px) Image search: [Google]
1374435662102.jpg
59KB, 577x512px
>>34206720
Some years ago an anon here in 4chan was spied upon by this drone.
>>
>>34209095
I remember this
>>
>>34209046
In a crowded urban environment with lots of air cover and obstacles, that story changes significantly.
>>
>>34206349
Or you could use existing kamikaze drones.

A common ground control station, plus a Raven to find the enemy dudes. Then port a couple Switchblades to launch and kill them once found.

It's like a combination sniper-mortar.
>>
>>34209339
That's a valid option as well. At this point in time, I think personal drones are vastly underutilized.
>>
>>34206349
Manhacks are stupid as weapons in War. Their weapons are their rotors, and Shotguns exist.

Still wanna make one though.
>>
>>34206477
>Chemtrails
>>
File: 5656.jpg (91KB, 900x406px) Image search: [Google]
5656.jpg
91KB, 900x406px
>soon after, anti-drone drones come into play
>making all of them as useless on the whole as MBTs
>>
>>34211048
such is the nature of escalation
>>
How would one effectively counter drone swarms? Equipping most of your infantry with automatic shotguns?
>>
>>34211318
>How would one effectively counter guns?
Abuse this shit yourself.
>>
>>34211318
Electronic warfare. US jammers totally shut down ISIS drones over Mosul.
>>
>>34211363
Mass AI controlled consumer drones are 5 years away.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.