[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/gearqueer/ pre 1990 edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 12

File: IMG_0129.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0129.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Post your old gear ITT

Starting off with the nylon rucksacks of the 60s and 70s.

I love the Lightweight rucksack. Indeed it was very "space age" for it's time when it was first produced in 1962. It is without a doubt symbolic of the vietnam war, but some people will say that it's low center of gravity and lack of waist support makes it impractical and uncomfortable. These people are pussies, however they are not entirely wrong.

The tropical rucksack was introduced in 1968. It has a spring steel X frame, and much larger storage capacity compared to the LW ruck. These were much better at navigating through thick jungle, but also lacked proper waist support.

The alice pack is a combination of these two packs and is without a doubt the most functionally superior and aesthetic rucksack design of the 20th century.
>>
File: IMG_0130.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0130.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>
File: IMG_0131.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0131.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Variants of the 2 qt collapsible canteen.
>>
File: IMG_0132.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0132.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
m56 rig and marine corps roll top pack
>>
File: IMG_0133.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0133.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>
I had a lightweight rucksack my dad used for camping when he was a boy scout, I sold it to some dude in Japan for $400

I regret it every time I see one.

I have the tropical rucksack, it's gonna stay with me for a long time, I won't make that mistake twice.
>>
File: IMG_0128.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0128.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>34204074
Japan is Ameriboo as fuck. I am actually /DIY/ and work a lot with original period textiles and such ranging from ww2 onward. The lighter colored LW ruck on the right is actually a repro I made using original material. But dealing with the nips on this shit is painful. Their fashion industry is basically 20th century American aesthetics. They consume a lot of Vintage American clothing, apparel and militaria. It's inflates the prices so much with them buying all our shit off eBay.

I had two other LW's. One 1964 dated and one 1968. Regret selling them a lot. But I still have one mint condition 1968!
>>
File: helmet.jpg (2MB, 2646x4074px) Image search: [Google]
helmet.jpg
2MB, 2646x4074px
i have some vietnam shit and a bunch of shit from the 80s. I am currently building a collection. I really need one of those light weight tropical rucks
>>
>>34204167
So why the fuck does the ruck sits so low on the frame? Wouldn't it make more sense to hoist it up a bit?
>>
>>34204474

Yeah you can hook it to the top of the frame if you want. This is just the default.
>>
File: IMG_5215.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5215.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
'03 pattern equipment.
A real pain to use when you are in a rush.
First, put the canteen over tour left shoulder. Havasac on the right shoulder. Put the belt on. Put the bandoleer on and connect it to the belt. Put on the greatcoat carrier connnecting it to your mess tins cover at the back and two of the ten round carriers on the front.
It lasted through the Great War and well into the second before it was withdrawn.
The bandoleer is still used by light horse units on ceremonial parades.
>>
File: IMG_4658.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4658.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
'08 pattern web equipment.
It was designed from the outset to me modular. You could go from marching order to raid order in less than five minutes (try that with MOLLE).
One hundred and fifty rounds of .303 carried with the weight distributed around the upper body.
The cotton webbing was rot proof, insect proof, fast drying and tough.
>>
File: IMG_4663.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4663.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
'37 pattern web equipment.
With the introduction of mechanised and moteeised forces, the Bren gun and Anti tank rifle, a more versitile load carriage was developed.
The ten, fifteen round carriers of the '08 were replaced by two larger pouches that could carry a wider range of ammunition. A narrower belt and braces lighten the assembly some without sacrificing comfort or duribility.
Still modular and easy to reconfigure.
>>
File: IMG_4666.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4666.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
M1956 pattern equipment.
Using components stolen from American forces, Australian troops modified the '37 pattern webbing they initially took to Viet Nam.
It was not long before the equipment was all Australian made.
A one solution for all setup, there was little that could be indervidualised or customised for the mission.
With a combat load of sixty rounds for a rifleman, it retains a good deal of mobility. That combat load was also the reason Australian forced in Viet Nam had a ratio of nineteen rounds expended per dead enemy steeped on, as a posed to the USMC expending three thousand and the US army spending twenty thousand per confirmed kill over the same period. Australians could not afford to waste ammo just foreign in the general direction of the bad guys.
>>
File: IMG_4669.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4669.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
With the roll out of the 5.56 mm F88 giggle to sustrslisn units, a new load carriage was delivered st the same time.
The M1988 pattern was just the M2956 equipment in camouflage.
The basic pouches now allowed the carriage of five thirty round magazines.
It was at this time the Australian army began to get warm and fuzzy, a belt comfortor was added to the webbing.

It went down hill from there.
With twice the number of rounds available, combat shooting skills faded. Soldiers wanted assault packs to carry more ammunition because they could not hit anything the first time. They wanted to carry rain coats and cold weather gear on patrol too.
Every one got soft.
>>
>>34204885
I sincerely apologise for the spelling and grammar in the last post.

A tip for you youngsters, don't try to type fast in a smart phone while marching cross country.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.