[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best way to remove cosmoline /k/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: file.jpg (56KB, 720x468px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
56KB, 720x468px
What is the best way to remove cosmoline /k/?
>>
>>34187199
You don't have to manually remove it, the heat from the firing the gun will evaporate it and clean it off.
>>
File: 1495503502896.jpg (90KB, 957x621px) Image search: [Google]
1495503502896.jpg
90KB, 957x621px
>>34187230
>>
>>34187199
Mineral spirits
>>
>>34187199
hot water, then use a heat gun and a rag to sweat it out of wood.
>>
>disassemble gun
>put all metal parts in hot soapy water
>put wood parts out in the sun all day or oven if you don't mind the smell, this will melt the cosmoline off and draw out any that has soaked into the wood
>make sure to >>completely<< dry the metal parts so they don't rust
>>
Turpentine.
>>
>>34187331
Im sure the OP meant without ruining the shit out of the stock...

Boiling water. Boiling water 20x. Bake the stock or leave it to sit in a black plastic bag in the sun and wipe it off every two hours. Be sure to go with the grain of the wood.

Metal parts literally can just be covered in boiling water and rinsed 10 times with said boiling water.

You will want a few metal wire coathangers to twist into your own special purpose hangers.
>>
>>34187199
Do as >>34188807 recommends.
Alternatively, you can used bore cleaner (Hoppes #9) for metal parts with lots of rags. Failure to clean metal parts correctly can result in a sticky bolt.
For the wood, you can also wrap in paper towels, then in black trash bags and leave them outside or even in your car on a hot day. Another method (and the more fun method at that) is to heat the gun up by repetitive rapid fire and wipe the stock down with a rag.
>>
>>34188807
>>34188902
I remember reading that the oven method can warp the wood, which would be bad
I just threw my SKS stock in the trunk of my car in a trash bag and wiped the ooze off every couple hours until it slowed down
>>
>>34189177
Honestly you're probably right. I've decosmo'd 8-10 rifles now and every time I just wipe the stock down and boil all the metal parts. It has never done me wrong and if you dont like the smell of cosmoline then damn son you're in the wrong thread.
>>
>>34189298
With the metal parts I used a steam generator and a few cans of brake cleaner, which blows that shit off like it's nothing. Got it in my eyes a couple of times though so I would recommend glasses for anyone who tries it
>>
>>34188807
I'd recommend applying a good coat of CLP to the metal parts after drying just in case
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.