[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are Carcanos so cheap?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

I've seen Carcano rifles for cheaper than 100 bucks, but the going rate seems to be about $150. Anyone know why?
>>
>>34186449
What. Where the fuck are you finding these you stupid n-word.
>>
>>34186449
Try to find ammo. On the required clips.
>>
>>34186449
Need en blocs clips no one makes anymore, crudely made and makes no attempt to hide it, not really historically interesting at first glance so it doesn't have the charm of the Mosin, action is boring with the exception of the enblocs which is more an annoyance than a feature to the casual shooter, they have a reputation for poor accuracy becasue for a long time the only sporting ammo available was sized wrong, people think it's spooky becasue of the JFK assassination. Also many fudds don't know the internet exists so finding ammo and clips locally can be annoying.

They are good guns but there's a lot of them and demand is low.
>>
>>34186567
Thanks
>>
They are just simply uninteresting and boring when you compare it to other milsurp guns
>>
>>34186449
in a word, fuddlore. Back when they were first imported en masse, vets would take them hunting and they'd miss their shots because they didn't realize that the Carcano's fixed sights are set for 300 meters. It didn't help that they were often chopped down without being recrowned. Thus, the Carcano gained a reputation for being an inaccurate piece of trash, a sentiment that can be seen even on /k/.

they're actually not bad, the bolt doesn't feel too great but they're decently-accurate rifles that have a great weight balance. The downside to the Carcano is that 6.5 ammo is hard to find (god help you if your spaghetti blaster is chambered in 7.35) and the clips that are necessary for the rifle to function are also somewhat uncommon.

>>34186599
I think they're more interesting than the average Mauser variant.
>>
>>34186644
Thanks, man. I think I'd go as far to say as more interesting than the average Mauser variant, but I also think I'd prefer a Mauser.
>>
A few factors
>Odd ammo
Not just not mass produced, but the bullets used is a .268 which doesn't match the standard .264 bullet size
>Poor reputation of the Italian military
This is earned in many ways. The Italians really sucked in WW1 and 2. This leads to the assumption that their equipment sucks.
>Progressive rifling
Until the M91/28, Carcanos used progressive rifling to reduce maintenance. The problem is fudds who cut down the rifles found that accuracy went to shit as they cut the rifling speed down from 1in10 at the muzzle to 1in18 or less. This was unable to properly stabilize the bullet.
>Poor accuracy
Part bullets and part the fact the earliest mass surplused Carcanos were the M91/24. The M91/24 were made by cutting down older guns without replacing the barrels. See progressive rifling if you think this wouldn't be an issue.
>En-block clips
Once common, now hard to find and not all are still in good functioning condition.
>Bad karma
Kennedy was killed by a Carcano M91/38. This made it a demon gun to many.

Carcanos can be good guns. Pick up a good (unmolested) M91 or M91/41 and you will see 3-4 MOA groups with proper ammo. The action is strong enough to handle 8mm Mauser (see M38S Carbines). Hell is shoot a Type I (Carcano action rifle made for the Japanese Navy) in local milsurp competitions and do rather well with that (typically placing in the top 25%).
>>
>>34186644
>The downside to the Carcano is that 6.5 ammo is hard to find

My Cabelas stocks it at $14 a box for Privi. Clips aren't difficult to find either and they're pretty strong to be able to re-use.
>>
>>34186449
Low demand. Ammo is scarce, clips are hard to come by, they're not held in high regard performance wise, and one was used to kill one of the most popular presidents in American history.
>>
>>34186449
Because they kinda suck and nobody really wants them compared to other milsurp. Carcano and Arisaka are the new Mosin.
>>
>>34186701
>Arisaka
>New Mosin
.... what?
>>
>>34186740
I've been seeing Arisaka rifles at all the LGS in my area for really cheap.
>>
>>34186748
Good luck finding ammo
>>
>>34186670
>>Bad karma
>Kennedy was killed by a Carcano M91/38. This made it a demon gun to many.
literaly the onely reason to owne a Carcano
>>
>>34186771
>implying Oswald shot Kenny with a Carcano
We don't know what the real shooter used senpai
>>
ammo is pricey, especially if you want to shoot 7.35
>>
>>34186684
It's not 'Privi' you fucking nigger. It's Prvi jebeni Partizan
>>
>>34186771
For the handful that do one because of that, you have a generation of fudds who have destroyed it's reputation any way they could because of that.
>>
>>34186786
Probably an AR-15 honestly.
The hole in JFK's skull was 5.5mm in diameter. Too small for a 6.5x52
>>
>>34186567
You can get surplus clips for around $8 and repro clips apparently are available.
>>
>>34186549
Ammo at Midway and Cabelas'.
Clips at Sarco and Numrich.

Both available a multiple other sources.

>Newfag
>>
>>34186770
Jap ammo is easily available at Cabelas
>>
>>34187286
For two dollars a round but I will concede the point it is available.
>>
>>34187286
Not at mine. I'd be willing to pay for some 7.7

Also where are you seeing those so cheap OP?
>>
>>34186770
>>34187552
>>34187566
For Jap or really any surplus gun that doesn't chamber .308/.30-06/8mm Mauser/7.62x54R/7.62x39 the only way to get affordable ammo is to handload ammo.

The cost I get for ammo for any of my surplus guns is generally 40-50ยข a round. Even cheaper if I am casting bullets for them.
>>
>>34187286
Not everyone lives near a Cabelas. The nearest one to me is 90 minutes away.

Of course I just reload anyways. Its cheaper and gives me better ammo.
>>
>>34187258
>Paying retard prices to shoot a subpar gun in a shit cartridge

Noguns faggot
>>
>>34187258
>not understanding that overpriced snowflake rounds and clips aren't literally the reason the guns are cheap and unpopular

Wow. You really got him there m8
>>
File: 1478914825872.jpg (95KB, 897x869px) Image search: [Google]
1478914825872.jpg
95KB, 897x869px
>>34187762
>>34187778
>feeling so asspained that people have different taste in guns than you that you feel the need to samefag to try to validate your opinion in the eyes of others
pretty pathetic desu familam
>>
>>34187815
>Anime reaction poster

Must have missed your guns you stupid nogunz weeb shitbag
>>
>>34187286
ymmv, there were years when it was not available online
>>
File: 1494967683240.jpg (23KB, 484x458px) Image search: [Google]
1494967683240.jpg
23KB, 484x458px
>>34187840
>Must have missed your guns you stupid nogunz weeb shitbag
what kind of sentence are you even trying to formulate?
>>
File: carcano.png (38KB, 505x270px) Image search: [Google]
carcano.png
38KB, 505x270px
>>34186567
>they have a reputation for poor accuracy becasue for a long time the only sporting ammo available was sized wrong
It was basically this thing too, wasn't it, that during WW2, ammo was just random in spec?
>>
>>34186449
People don't seem to like using Mannlicher clips it seems. Steyr 95s stay at around $200 and I've seen a Carcano go for $50 within the pas few months. Carcanos also have a bad reputation.
>>
>>34187566
There's a locally owned gun shop about 20ish minutes from me that has two or three carcanos in there for about 150.
I saw an online auction for a carcano carbine that settled around 110 bucks.
>>
File: Don't Touch The Hair.jpg (108KB, 546x438px) Image search: [Google]
Don't Touch The Hair.jpg
108KB, 546x438px
>>34186449
The terminal performance of the projectile is questionable at best and magically unpredictable at worst.
>>
>>34186449

what's a good carcano to go for in terms of milsurp collectability?

full length infantry or carbine? pre ww1 or post?
>>
Some milsurps (Krags, Enfields, Mausers) have a historical mystique behind them. Some milsurps (MAS-36s, Garands) are highly aesthetic. Some milsurps (K-31s, Finn Mosins) are just plain great rifles.

The Carcano is none of these.
>>
>>34189498
There were multiple powders used, different lots were mixed on single clips
>>
>>34186449
>not really historically interesting at first glance so it doesn't have the charm of the Mosin

The only thing about the Mosin that made it a decent buy was it's price and ubiquity
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.