[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cleaning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (139KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139KB, 640x1136px
So I have a quick question for all the AR-15, M4, and M16 people on here about cleaning my AR-15... Is it normal for what I'm guessing is the gas block and gas tube to look like this, everything on the rifle was pitch black when I first got it and was thinking that it might be paint, but the more I attempt to clean it the more of what ever is on it wares off, and was wondering if crud could get on the tube and if so how to clean it properly and easily. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>34186015
Carbon scouring, if it won't come off with clp and a tooth brush don't worry about it.
>>
>>34186638
Not op but you "seem" to know how to properly clean an ar. I usually take out the bcg and take it apart and clean that's pretty good and then run a bore snake through the barrel. I'm sure there's more to clean, what else should I be cleaning
>>
>>34186931
Also, OP this is my cleaning routine and I've never had any jams or anything like that. I use CLP, those little square cloths that you buy at gun stores and q-tips for getting deep down in there. I highly recommend a bore snake for cleaning the barrel. I put some drops of clp on it and run it through the barrel a few times then wrap a cloth around the snake and run it through again to see how it looks
>>
>>34186931
USMC, 4 years.
Step 1. Remove bolt carriers.
Step 2. Disassemble bolt carriers.
Step 3. Coat bolt carrier and bolt in CLP.
Step 4. Set aside.
Step 5. Heavily CLP chamber and then assemble cleaning rod with chamber brush.
Step 6.Lube brush with CLP.
Step 7. Using ONLY RIGHT (CLOCKWISE) TURNS scrub chamber thoroughly.
Step 8.Remove chamber brush, attach swab holder.
Step 9. Swab chamber using right turns.
Step 10. Lube toothbrush with CLP.
Step 11. Scrub upper receiver, coat with CLP.
Step 12. Set upper aside, clean brush off.
Step 13. using lubed brush, scrub bolt, bolt carrier everywhere.
Step 14. Using lint free rag, (I brought shop towels FTW.) Wipe off bolt carrier and bolt.
Step 15. Wipe off upper receiver with rag.
Step 16. With boresnek, lube copper brush with CLP.
Step 16. Pull through.
Step 17. Lube clean brush with CLP.
Step 18 . Scrub flash suppressor.
Step 19. Wipe clean.
Step 20. Reassemble bolt carrier lube bolt lightly, lube bolt cam heavily, lube the gas key rails lightly and bolt carrier rails lightly.
Step 20.Reassemble rifle.
Step 21. Function check. Rack bolt back, put on safe pull trigger. If no click set safety to fire, pull and HOLD trigger. Click should be audible. Rack bolt again while holding the trigger. Release trigger. Click should be audible. Put on safe.
>>
>>34187108
>using only clockwise turns
This seems like advanced fuddlore
>>
>>34187144
OK, don't do it and see what happens. ;)
>>
>>34187108
Does this ever get the star chamber very clean?
I've been trying to clean my star chamber thoroughly for a while now but its never clean enough for my autism.
Is it gonna be dirty no matter what?
>>
>>34187144
>what is rifling
>>
>>34187275
>the barrel extendion and the chamber are rifled
>>
>>34186967
OP here, my rifle never jams either, I keep it clean 24/7, it just bothers me when ever I see the gas block and gas tube looking like that.
>>
>>34187144
I think it's so that the tip of the rod doesn't come unscrewed
>>
>>34187108
>Take advice from people who over clean their rifles to the point of failure
>'trust me senpai'
>>
>>34187252
A dental pick and swabs work great in that area.
>>
>>34187876
>overclean
>not having thousands of rounds run through it.
There's no such thing as too clean.
>>
>>34187922
Jesus Christ. There are multiple reports of people overcleaning rifles, be it damaging rifling or removing finish; I fucking doubt everyone shot thousands of rounds between cleaning.
>>
>>34187252
Different anon but I was a 4 year USMC, a grunt. We used to clean our rifles just because command didn't have anything better for us to do. That other guy laid out the book by book. Here is the "Lcpl doesn't have time for this shit" version:

1. Go to PX and buy baby wipes and qtips
2. Babywipe the shit out of everything
3. Wrap a babywipe around your pinky finger, finger fuck the star chamber about 20 times (Yes, this is referred to "finger fucking Susy")
4. Go smoke a cigarette well baby wipe liquid dries, nut tap a fellow Marine
5.put qtip in mouth, get it wet, start swiping every crevasse
6. After ~150 qtips, and really digging in deep, the qtips should start to come out white after a while
7. Sweep your bore about 5 times more than you think you need it.
8. Lubricate it and do a poor man's safety check (doesn't go click on safe, goes click on semi)

This can be done in 30-45 minutes. Why qtips? Qtips are what the armorer's use to test your weapon. They'll rub it on different parts of rifle and if a black dot shows up, not good enough. Reminder, don't forget the Ejection port, everyone forgets that.

And that's how I spent many days in my room playing PlayStation while the majority of platoon was at the armory for hours on end, because I'd actually impress the armorer with producing a clean rifle in a short amount of time.
>>
>>34187966
>We used to clean our rifles just because command didn't have anything better for us to do.
This is what I was saying here >>34187876 and here >>34187922
>rub metal so every fucking day
>be surprised when you've over cleaned it and it's out of spec
Cmon. It's not rocket surgery.
>>
>>34187922
Other anon is right, my friend's M1911 got all fucked up cause he would drown it with too much gun oil and just generally cleaned it way too much.
>>
>cleaning your AR15

I clean mine every 1500 rounds. Otherwise just spray some gun treatment in there. When you do clean, i recomend this >>34187108
>>
>>34187993
What kind of oil was he using? I drench most of my guns in ballistol and they're fine. You just have to be sure to wipe it down well so it doesn't gunk up and get all sticky.
>>
OP here again, thanks for the help. Finally got it all sparkling clean.
>>
File: image.jpg (153KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153KB, 640x1136px
>>34188051
Oops, forgot to post pic.
>>
>>34187275
>I don't know where rifling starts

>>34187857

That makes sense, actually
>>
>>34188050
Do you also scrape out the chamber and run a cleaning rod in it for 20 minutes at a time every day without use?

I'm just saying, there obivously is such a thing as 'too clean'.
>>
>>34188050
I don't know I never asked, but every time we went out shooting together it would be dripping in oil and lube.
>>
Admittedly I only skimmed the lengthy posts. Does the gas tube ever need cleaning and what is the best way to do it?
>>
>>34188190
Do not risk bending or deforming the gas tube on an AR with cleaning. Leave it. It is essentially self cleaning. Do not oil it. Do not grease it. Leave it. Oil or grease in the gastube could result in terminal combustion or shit getting all explodey.
>>
>>34187982
>Implying milfags shoot every single day when on base
>Implying armorer's will clean-cut weapons on deployment
Come on. I'm just a civvie ffs.
>>
>>34188190
As per Stoners design you should not clean the gastube.
No one has ever has ever had any issues from not cleaning the interior of the gas tube.
>>
>>34188215
>>34188236
That's what I thought but I'm sure someone else told me about dry pipe cleaners.
>>
>>34188249
Honestly I wouldn't bother. It's a channel for hot gas and fouling. Not much pipe cleaners could do besides leave fuzzy shit behind.
>>
>>34188144
That's probably the issue, he over oiled/lubed it and gunked it up

Don't think you can fuck up your gun by over cleaning unless you have a particularly shitty gun or fuck up cleaning it
>>
Through the whole thing in solvent.

Wipe dry.

Oil

Assemble

It is what we did in the US army.
>>
>>34188520
Gud enuf for a GI rifle but some of us have coatings and finishes that don't like solvents
>>
>>34187275
>brush made of a metal much softer than the barrel will scratch it
>>
>>34186015
>Stoner self-cleaning rifle
Why clean it idiot.
>>
>>34189827
Water doesn't erode stone either lol
>>
>>34187144
You are legitimately retarded.
>>
>>34187144

"Righty-tighty. Lefty-loosey".
Figure it out.
>>
Is it bad I've been using paper towels for cleaning instead of proper cotton cloths until 2 range sessions ago? I doubt it harms the receiver but I don't know if (relatively) abrasive paper has an effect on the bore
>>
>>34187982

>thinks you can over clean a gun and wear the metal out

t.noguns.
>>
>>34192148
Cummy-Yummy?
>>
>>34192601
Seek help.
>>
>>34187841
You aren't looking at the gas block, that is the gas tube, the other end is the gas block.
>>
File: 1454208624145.jpg (309KB, 2136x2136px) Image search: [Google]
1454208624145.jpg
309KB, 2136x2136px
>>34192552
unless it's sand paper you're not doing anything to the bore.
>>
>>34188058
Looks good!
>>
No civilian does enough work with their weapon platforms to require "cleaning".
Just lube your semi-auto with oil every once in a while and you'll be good to go.

Cleaning guns is a meme unless you're Miculek who fires 20k rounds a month.
>>
>>34195509
>Implying
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.