[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

curious

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: IRA-Barrett_M82GIS.jpg (30KB, 625x407px) Image search: [Google]
IRA-Barrett_M82GIS.jpg
30KB, 625x407px
I'm really curious about how paramilitary groups get their weapons.

The IRA for example had thousands of small arms, grenades, .50 cal sniper rifles, RPGs and even had a shipment of surface-to-air missiles sent from Libya that was sunk by a British spy.

So when youre a newly formed paramilitary organisation with <500 members and £15m burning a hole in your pocket, how exactly does large scale armsdealing work?
>>
hi fbi
>>
>>34184779
The CIA or ask Israel and say you'll be a good goyim puppet for them
>>
>>34184779
Ronnie Barret sold the rifles to them because he's a cool guy.
>>
>>34184779
in the UK? you don't, you go to prison.

but the Czech would be a good start,
>>34184805
israel is also a good look
>>
>>34184779
You tender a purchase offer to the French because they are a bunch of faithless, greedy assholes who will backstab any NATO ally and supply their sworn enemies with everything up to and including nuclear weapons, even to the likes of fucking Saddam Hussein and Pakistan.
>>
>>34184792
hi mi5
>>
>>34184779
>500 members
You can get 500 people willing to die for you, but cant get guns?
>15 million bongland money
Odds are, you had to make that money somehow. You aren't spending 15 mil of daddy's money overthrowing your country. So you made 15 mil, most likely illegally. That would put you in contact with shady people.
>>
>>34184779
>youre a newly formed paramilitary organisation

They weren't. Their failed border campaign prior to 1969 taught them a lot. They procured and consolidated. Most of the small arms they had prior to the 1980s were either stolen, already in circulation or had been shipped from the US. Lots of Garands, M1s etc etc. The UDAs big delivery of Czech rifles caused them to build relations with Libya, who delivered crates and crates of weapons and a considerable amount of explosive. This carried on through the 80s.

By about 1990 they were being wound up pretty much everywhere and the Loyalist terrorists were out killing them, which they hadn't since the early 70s. Most of it came from the Libyans, but various Eastern Bloc states provided things too. The AKs dropped by the Sligo PIRA men who bodged an ambush of a dog warden (he shot one dead, the other three ran off) had come from the USSR.

Loyalists, barring their Czech adventure, relied on private purchase arms. They had basically no foreign backing, to the point where they were raiding sporting shops and manufacturing their own SMGs.
>>
>>34184779
So wasn't their goal to establish an independent Ireland and kick the british out?

I don't understand how they couldn't get enough support from fellow indigenous Irishman.

Were there just too many british already living there and in control of the police and official military?
>>
>>34184930
hi mossad
>>
>>34186270
howdy KGB
>>
>>34186256
>I don't understand how they couldn't get enough support from fellow indigenous Irishman.
People dont like getting blown up when they go to the pub and having drugs dealt to their kids, even massive betas like the Irish. Plus the IRA claimed to be pro-Catholic and anti-protestant, so therefore only represented ~40% of the population assuming every single Catholic supported them.
>>
>>34186256
>So wasn't their goal to establish an independent Ireland and kick the british out?
No. You're confusing Republicanism with Nationalism.

PIRA, which is what everyone means when they refer to the IRA, did not recognise the government in the Republic of Ireland. They did not recognise the Anglo-Irish treaty. This is a crucial bit that a lot of people miss out on. There were other groups, that wanted a United Ireland, but only PIRA wanted an armed campaign both in Northern Ireland and England.

England is the interesting bit here. The Loyalists and Unionists, ie those that wanted NI to remain part of the UK, are mostly of Scottish descent. About 30 percent of them are English, but most of the plantation owners and descendants are Scottish. PIRA started a bombing campaign against England, which most Northern Irish Loyalists (Brits) did not care about. PIRA did not have a particularly good appreciation of history or politics.

>I don't understand how they couldn't get enough support from fellow indigenous Irishman.
The principle was widely agreed with, but the fact that PIRA were sworn against the politics of the Irish Republic did not go down well. Neither did the fact that they were committed to creating a Marxist one party state.

>Were there just too many british already living there and in control of the police and official military?
Loyalists are British in a political sense but it's far more complex than that. The lack of interest in Northern Ireland by the actual British led to a lot of the problems.

tldr - PIRA were ideologically at odds with the majority of people in Ireland and their interpretation of things did not do them any favours.
>>
>>34186350
oh. well shit. sounds like they weren't smart or realistic about anything.
I wonder, was it a hardcore belief in their religion of choice that destroyed their ability to think logically?
Basically, my theory is that in order to "believe" in a religion, you really have to set aside a huge part of your analytical, logical thinking mind to such a degree that you end up with a very distorted real-world view that cripples the mind
>>
>>34186418
>Basically, my theory is that in order to "believe" in a religion, you really have to set aside a huge part of your analytical, logical thinking mind to such a degree that you end up with a very distorted real-world view that cripples the mind
Thats totally fedora. Baader-Meinhof were exclusively atheistic and similarly aligned.
>>
>>34186418
Their religion didn't really have a lot to do with their strategy.

PIRA represented something that rejected both British rule in Northern Ireland and the government of the Irish Republic. They did not want to unite Ireland under the Irish Republic (as in an East to West Germany sort of way), but remove the UK from the North and install their own government in the Republic.

Catholicism only came into it when they were trying to equate what they were doing to various instances in Irish history. They were majority Catholic, but more than a few weren't and it was far more pressing that they changed the Republic politically after removing the British in the North.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Irish_Treaty

Imagine, if you will, a group of Americans who rejected the Declaration of Independence and the subsequent agreement between the UK and the USA and opposed the formation of the United States. That's the rough equivalence.
>>
It blows my mind that as cucked as the U.K. is on everything freeing Northern Ireland was the one thing they refused to do. It blows my mind that the Irish are so cucked they're ok with this current state of affairs.
>>
>>34186474
>That's totally fedora
doesn't mean its not at least partly true
>>
File: 1481233060337.jpg (9KB, 300x189px) Image search: [Google]
1481233060337.jpg
9KB, 300x189px
hi.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.