[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fudlore I've never heard before?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

I got stopped by a guy at a show asking to see the Arisaka I just bought. He was telling me "Yeah, them Japs were really smart with their ammo. They could use the 7.7 in our guns, but we couldn't use our calibers in their guns."

This is a new one to me, and online searching brought up nothing.
>>
>>34183264
probably easier to re-barrel or modify the US rifle to shoot their ammo
>>
>>34183264
Fudds have a perverse obsession with lore surrounding enemies being able to use ammo from dead GIs. I've heard the same thing with some idiot telling me that Germans intended the K98k was designed to shoot looted .30-06 in addition to 7.92×57.
>>
I think what he's trying to say is US rifles are easier to convert if captured.
>>
>>34183264

My feeling is that there is simply no way that Japan designed their ammunition to be usable in US guns. The only way that could be done is if Japan had adopted .30-06 as their standard rifle cartridge, and that beefy caliber is entirely unsuitable for the smaller frame of Japanese soldiers.
>>
Wat was the Jap Garand chambered in? 7.7?
>>
>>34183264
wut, I know the Japs made that bootleg garand, but even that was chambered for 7.7×58mm Arisaka
>>
>>34183331
yes anon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_4_rifle
>>
>>34183264
Chances are it was just some old guy that doesn't know much about guns and completely misunderstood calibre.
>>
>>34183264
Many people form 7.7 jap brass from .30-06. That may be where part of this rumor started.
>>
>>34183264

7.7 Arisaka will chamber in a Garand or 1903 but the case will definitely split being much shorter overall. Case head is close enough dimensionally to not matter. Back when 7.7 was hard to get I made hundreds of cases from my old .30-06 Greek HXP brass.
>>
Its funny cause 7.7 is only 1 mm off from .303 brit

so if anything they were closer to british rounds than the american ones
>>
>>34183368
In that vein, it also puts them near 7.62x54r. I know you can shoot 54r out of a .303 relatively safely (though merrily, because the cases do tend to rupture at the shoulder), so I'd imagine the same can be done in an Arisaka in a pinch. I'm not gonna be the guy to test it, though, strong as Arisaka actions are.
>>
>>34183303
This. There are plenty of variations on this nonsense. Haven't heard it about Japanese firearms, but I've definitely heard people say the same thing about Nazi or Soviet firearms.
>>
>>34184147
>strong as Arisaka actions are
There's another good one- I dont know why, but everyone thinks that Arisakas in general are poorly produced and prone to explode. Even the last ditch models that have been tested maintain their integrety
>>
>>34183264
You can, without the well known exceptions, discount literally anything and everything someone says about X caliber being able to be used in a gun really markant for Y caliber unless someone can literally pull out a round and a gun and demonstrate it for you or they have pictures.

Most of that BS comes from the cockamamie bullshit they tried to make happen with the 1903 and Gewehr 98 bolts (you can apparently swap the bolts from one gun to another because they're so close in dimensions and mechanics; thanks Springfield armory you cheap bastards)
People thought the calibers would work too (and we all know 8mm Mauser will NOT work in 30-06, right guys? We all know this, RIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS?!)
Anyways, people just saw that, and the concept of people "designing guns to use our ammo and theirs but not letting us use theirs" became a thing.
Then things like "7.62 Russian" and "9mm Russian" became a thing and, heaven forbid, those gosh damn crafty commies just have to use our ammo.
Fuckin' fudds.
>>
>>34184275
This is because the training models that were brought in KBd because they were NOT made to the full on rifle spec in terms of heat treating and shit as they were meant for special training ammo (I was wood or some shit)
>>34183368
Didn't they have a 7.7x56R or some shit that was literally Japanese made .303 British?
>>34184283
To clarify, the whole "our ammo their guns but not the other way around" BS probably predates the 1903 and the Gewehr 98 bolts because of black powder and stuff, but I'm just using it a a starting point.
>>
>>34183264
Heres some Not fuddlore about cartridge interchangeability, you can (RELATIVELY) safely fire 40sw in a 10mm
>>
nice arikaka
>>
>>34183264
well they would just have to drill out a us .30 cal barrel to be a bit wider to fit 7.7
>>34183323
>that beefy caliber is entirely unsuitable for the smaller frame of Japanese soldiers.
>>34183323
kek>>34184275
>>34184275
to be fair everyone points back to one specific test conducted by hatcher following the war. i dont know of any other tests, so its not like theres a huge sampling

i would still be weary of the late war rifle quality, you only have one set of eyes, do you really want to gamble them on 1945 japanese steel production and factory assembly
>>
>>34184320
Training Arisakas were made to fire a wooden bullet and used a much lesser charge of powder.
The receivers were made of pot metal and they should be easily identifiable due to lack of a Chrysanthemum and lack of rifling.
There were also 7/8th size non-firing replicas for training but if someone forced a cartridge in there then they're an even bigger idiot.
>>
>>34183264
Literally every adversary we have has somehow engineered their stuff to use everything of ours but made it so we can't use anything of theirs. According to every fudd ever.
>>
>>34184328
.38 special works in .357 magnums.
.45 LC is apparently okay in .454 Casull.
A lot of the old leverguns cartridges have an even older wierder cousin that will work in a pinch.
9mm NATO Luger and Auto all apparently work the same (Auto is just a straight walled case for optimized feeding in 9mm Luger as I recall, and NATO is just 9mm Luger loaded a little bit hotter than original factory Luger loads, essentially just 9mm +P)
.38 S&W and .380/200 (because the brits were cheap bastards who "invented their own cartridge")
7.62 NATO and .308, though some older guns probably shouldn't be used with the actual .308 cartridge/loadings (I'm looking at you, Spanish Mausers)
5.56, .223.
'Nuf said. Don't try 5.56 in your really old .223s.
Various 9mms can be forced to work in 9mm revolvers with modified cylinders and moon clips and lots of, mostly useless and highly expensive but probably quite fun, BS.
There's probably more...
>>
>>34184371
These are fudds we're discussing.
Putting the wrong round in the wrong gun and calling it shit even though it's not even what you destroyed is absolutely within their realm of stupidity.
>>34184391
/thread.
>>
>>34183264
In every myth, there is a nagant of truth.

This stems from the fact that 3006 and 7.7 barrels bullet diameters are close enough. .311 vs .308 . It's only 3 thou bigger.

So there where certain instances of Japanese capturing American rifles and rechambering them to 7.7 Jap as the modification where close enough, and the barrel needed no modification other than the chamber ream. So sometimes troops would encounter their own guns in Japanese hands, etc.

These where not in mass and didn't make the guns interchangeable with ammo. It's the equivalent of some of the old rifles to single shot bolt action shotguns I see. Or even the 3006 mosin or something.
>>
My family had an arisaka that when fired the bolt jumped up and hit my uncle in the face. It was sporterized but had the badass aircraft sights and chyrisanthium. We sold it for like 50 bucks because fudd.
>>
File: IMG_1175.jpg (69KB, 313x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1175.jpg
69KB, 313x480px
>>34184468
>when you're on /k/ so frequently that Nugget autocorrects to Nagant
>>
>>34184320
I read somewhere that 7.7 is literally derimmed 303 brit, so if one were to shave off the rims of 303, they'd essentially have 7.7 jap.
>>
>>34184573
7.7x56R was made for direct copies of the Lewis gun.
It was an exact. Fucking. Copy of .303 British.
>>
>>34184598
Oh, and 7.7x58 (7.7 Jap) is NOT der immer .303.
The round is longer, and will not be chambered in something that's .303, and due to the location of the shoulder, the difference in the case taper, and a few other things, .303 will NOT work in place of 7.7 Jap.
It is 7.7x56R that is .303 Brit made in Japan.
>>
>>34184391

yeah this
>>
What is your favorite bit of fuddlore /k/? Mine is the tumbling .223 myth.
>>
>the Japs were smart about their ammo
They managed to fuck up so bad that they literally had two cartridges with the exact same dimensions that were not able to be used interchangeably. Japanese logistics were a fucking nightmare. Their navy literally had a Lewis gun copy in widespread service that didn't use either of these 7.7x58mm cartridges, but rather a 7.7x56mm cartridge that was a direct copy of the .303 British. They were smart about a lot of things (like strategic choices prior to December 7 1941, fostering of national identity in the population, and pursuing naval developments...), but ammunition was not one of them.
>>
>>34184657
That's not a myth.
>>
>>34184657
I personally enjoy the whole "women should only shoot revolvers because women just can't handle the way the slide goes back on normal pistols" one. I legit once saw an employee at one of my local gun stores refuse to sell a woman a Glock because he didn't "believe [she could] handle a non-revolver." Where did this shit come from?
>>
>>34183368
7.7 Jap and 303 British (7.7×56mmR) use the exact same diameter projectile.
>>
>>34184705
>Where did this shit come from?
From the fact that women are incapable of doing anything correctly?
>>
>>34184705
or better, give her a snub nose revolver
>>
>>34184705
I've seen them pull that on my mom at the range, WHILE she's outshooting them with her Para P-13. Like, the fuddlore is so strong it's managed to make them tune out the reality in front of them in favor of "muh .38 snubnose!"

And no, my mom actually hates revolvers.
>>
what about the whole 7.63 Mauser vs 7.62 Tokarev thing? isn't that a true case of one gun working with both calibers but not the other?
>>
>>34184402
.327 Federal Magnum can shoot .32 H&R Magnum,. 32 S&W long, and .32 S&W short.
.22 long rifle, long, and short.
>>
>>34183264
I know a guy who says he has fired 7.62x39 in his FAL in 'nam.
Anyway, it is absolutely possible to fire 7.62x39 out a .308 chamber but that doesn't mean it will hit anything past 50yrds and it will probably fuck up the throat of your rifle.
I've read on /k/ plenty of times of people who fired the wrong ammo and it went bang. That doesn't mean it is good for your gun but it will shoot.
>>
>>34184361
>to be fair everyone points back to one specific test conducted by hatcher following the war.
i tend the point to the cases of vets shooting 8mm mauser out of them with no ill effects besides elongating the bullets.
>>
>>34183303
>>34184172
I've heard it about the Finns too.
>>
>>34185109
7.62 "tok" is literally just hot 7.62 Mauser with a different headstamp
>>
>>34183315
Except there is no documented examples of an M1903, M1917, or M1 being rechambered in 7.7 Arisaka. Usually the standard practice when using captured enemy weapons was to simply use supplies of ammunition on hand, Japan did have this in abundance due to capturing the Philippines so they likely used US small arms in rear guard areas.

OP's example is a piece of eternal fuddlore though, for some reason the Type 99 and K98K got this stupid ability attributed to them with no evidence or logic indicating it was possible. It persisted into the Vietnam era with idiots claiming the AK could use our 7.62x51mm but we couldn't us AK ammunition.
>>
>>34185109
>7.63 Mauser vs 7.62 Tokarev
/.63 Mauser will work just fine in 7.62 Tokarev guns, other way around is not advisable as 7.62 Tokarev is a much hotter load.
The Germans used 7.63 in captured Soviet weapons in WW2.
>>
>>34186696
I forgot, there were Type 99's converted to 30-06 for use by South Koreans during the Korean War. I don't think they ever saw real combat because they were horribly slipshod conversions but they filled a role like the Italian Vetterli-Vitali/Carcano, they freed up fully functional rifles for frontline troops.
>>
>>34183264
It's one of the standard fudd/noguns myths. I've even heard similar stuff from my dad, who's never owned a gun in his life and has only shot them once or twice. (I recall him claiming it about 7.62 vs 7.65 pistol ammo.)

Another one I've heard from a lot of similar people is that "the AK-74 was no good because its rate of fire was too high." I'm not sure where that one even came from.
>>
>>34186696
There were several examples of M1s being converted to 7.7. They even tried to reverse-engineer an M1 into the Type 4 when they realized 7.7 didn't work well in en bloc clips.
>>
>.45 ACP jacketed rounds do more damage than 12 gauge 00 Buck
>pistol design reached its peak 106 years ago, anything developed afterwards is redundant

Why do fudds love 1911s so much
>>
>>34190157
Their parents.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.