[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could ammo counters be useful/viable on a assault rifle? Also

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 17

Could ammo counters be useful/viable on a assault rifle? Also a compass/other tools you could set up.
>>
>>34182525
maybe in the fantasy world you prefer to live in, yeah. Better yet would be a hotkey on every gun to auto throw grenades or use a medkit
>>
>>34182525
The would be useful on any weapon if they aren't too big/heavy.
>>
>>34182525
yes and they should also show health levels
>>
File: 1365473585702.jpg (24KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1365473585702.jpg
24KB, 600x400px
>>34182525
>adding unnecessary bulk and complexity to do something that already exists
>>
Why? Enough practice and you already kinda know how much rounds you've got.
>>
>>34182525
I view it like a gear indicator on a motorcycle. When you are new to the activity it seems useful but the more you do it the less you care.
>>
>>34182636
kek
>>
>>34182630
You don't press a button to use a medkit in Halo you fucking noob.
>>
>>34182525
Learn to use your brain. You'd be amazed how well it works with practice
>>
>>34182525
Not in that layout. Having a big counter glaring at you while you're trying to concentrate on aiming would be distracting as hell.

*If* you could figure out a sensor system that was reliable and not obtrusive, *and* technology gave heads up displays (Google Glass, but actually good and durably made), it could be a nice feature to have a HUD with an ammo counter, as long as it came up manually. Maybe a pushbutton on the rifle brings up a display for ammo count and other information.

Various future warfare programs have been trying to make HUDs with various information a real thing, so it's only a matter of time until the technology is good enough and small enough to make it work.
>>
File: Colonial Marines Kick Ass.jpg (12KB, 539x196px) Image search: [Google]
Colonial Marines Kick Ass.jpg
12KB, 539x196px
Didn't Sig 552 for example have see through mags? That is kinda like an ammo counter.
>>
File: ODST rain helmet.jpg (111KB, 1465x1066px) Image search: [Google]
ODST rain helmet.jpg
111KB, 1465x1066px
>>34182757
Just give me a bitchin' helmet with a HUD and I'll be happy.
>>
>>34182717
I agree but it's nice to have(on a bike).
>>
>>34182757
LEUTENAT!! I BEEN HACKED!! ALL I SEES IS DICK!! AND THE HEADSTAP MADE OF UNBREAKABLE CARBON FIBRE IS HACKED SHUT!!
>>
>>34182525
On a scope or red dot it sounds like a great idea. But you would have to reset it with every mag.
>>
File: wilcox fusion amp.jpg (8KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
wilcox fusion amp.jpg
8KB, 280x280px
>>34182525
Yes, but that would be after firearms (if they ever) go fully electronic. We're kind of there already with powered parallax and/or night vision optics, light sources, and other toys such as infa red boxes. Wilcox Industries even currently sells a powering sytem that extends throughout the length of the rifle that thing scan plug into a la track lighting, but only needing a single battery source.

I'd think solenoid electronic triggers being adopted would come first, like tournament paintball guns have had for years, but a display could be included into the rifle. It could display things like a compass and round count (halo) but could also could include an incoming fire directional indicator, or any other number of toys that can be mounted directly to a power-sourced rifle.

Of course, we're a far ways away from that, but possibly not as far as you'd think.
>>
>>34182525
It'd be far more useful to have a tiny vibration detector on the gun with a reset button to bring it back to 30 or whatever.
Then have it give your phone or something a little vibration buzz to subtly let you know when you are down to 5 left.
>>
>>34182525
I think a mag that uses the counter on the magazine itself would be a better idea.
>>34182680

Need to know how many rounds you have left? Tilt the gun and check the left or right side of your mag for the counter. It would look cool as a hologram or digi read out but some kind of analog device could work just as well.
>>
>>34182841

>incoming fire detector

A real thing that is currently shoulder mounted. Works so-so, but with technology improvement it can be constantly miniaturized.

>It could display things like a compass and round count (halo) but could also could include an incoming fire directional indicator, or any other number of toys that can be mounted directly to a power-sourced rifle.

Those things would be superfluous to mount on a rifle. Now wiring together on a soldier's loading bearing equipment and running everything on the loadbearing equipment to run single sourced is an idea.

IMO, the way to go would be the rifle running it's lights, lasers, and misc stuff off it's own battery. Feeding round count information to the soldier's personal system, if testing says it's a useful feature.

Soldier's personal system being a glasses/goggles mounted HUD controlled my using a small wrist mounted device with tactile buttons. All the information from GPS, sniper dectection systems, etc. is controlled and fed from there. Radio is controlled from there as well, with the actual radio mounted on the back of the helmet (sans battery and control panel, a radio would be about right for a counterweight) and soldier uses a headset to talk. Run a fast pullaway power cord from the personal armor to the helmet to provide power for the radio and NODs.

A single recharagable battery mounted on the body provides power for all the systems. The whole system, aside from the rifle's round count could be wired rather than wireless- drop the round count feature and it could be entirely data sealed and wired if people are afraid of hacking.
>>
File: jew mag.jpg (89KB, 650x762px) Image search: [Google]
jew mag.jpg
89KB, 650x762px
>>34182935

The jews did it

https://usa.caagearup.com/cdmagg-countdown-30-round-ar-magazine

30 dollers a mag
>>
>>34182630
no fun allowed: /k/ edition

fuck off you colossal faggot
>>
>>34182959
I wonder why this isn't this more popular?
>>
File: recon_video_screenshot.jpg (99KB, 800x456px) Image search: [Google]
recon_video_screenshot.jpg
99KB, 800x456px
>>34182953

you could link several of these features, create bluetooth synced mags that display in a head up display/smart goggles/glasses, or like the fancy GPS ski goggles, then combine that with blueforce tracker or something

cost the same as a few pairs of revision ballistic goggles, but preventing hacking would be a bitch
>>
Already done.
>>
>>34182977
>ISRAELI designed
>30$ a magazine

CAA actually has some good products, but some of their reviews are kinds sketch on the low end accessories, because they are too cheap.

The roni is pretty cool, it makes your glock into a high tech SBR. looks like they are pretty back ordered though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSNTQbH_pCA
>>
>>34183001
Make it offline and old tech, like a Casio wristwatch.
>>
>>34183021
thatts prettty coolll
>>
>>34183001
That's why I went with the idea of having the entire system wired when it comes to data. It's all still fancy and high tech, but it's self contained so it can't be hacked.

It would lose capability to sync with FBCB2 and with other squad member's gear, so it's a trade off, but in this case I'll go with safe rather than sorry.
>>
If you have HUD goggles and you mount a small camera on the gun, could you make the camera/compass/internalgyroscope interpolate what direction it is looking at and create essentially a faux IR laser that displays on the HUD?

That would be a neat way of keeping IR discipline against an enemy with night vision.
>>
File: 16594852.jpg (84KB, 900x674px) Image search: [Google]
16594852.jpg
84KB, 900x674px
learn to count

like your shekels
>>
File: 16594850.jpg (83KB, 900x674px) Image search: [Google]
16594850.jpg
83KB, 900x674px
>>
>>34182525
itt people who have never fired an assault rifle

protip: you can tell its ammo state by the weight, and can tell when its empty by the position of the bolt
>>
>>34183187
>Hey let's talk about new and interesting features
>LOL NO U NEVER FIRED GUN BEFORE HUADAGSGDG!!

God, you sound like one of those guys who thinks red dots are a meme. There have been a lot of posts going beyond just the ammo counter in the thread.
>>
>>34182680
It's not really unnecessary as that ammo counter is also the optic.
It's the only way soldiers with helmets can aim their rifle as they can't get a cheek-weld. It gives them a target reticule on their HUD's
>>
Unrelated to OPs' topic, I'm going to mill into my lower to add tritium inserts for safe/fire (One day, two green ones for binary!). It's going to be kind of cringy but I really want it.

>>34182525

ETS makes tritium followers for their mags now, but I really think they dropped the ball by not adding reference points along the sides of the mags themselves with either tritium or GITD dots. Green at the bottom, yellow-ish at the middle, and red at the top. Just a quick look at the mag while you're holding it and you'd be good to go.

>>34182699

Or this, yeah. Weight based works as well.

>>34182782

Best scifi helmet.

>tfw will never be an ODST
>>
>>34183223
thank you HaloFan1999 but the adults are talking
>>
File: 1490204430191.jpg (25KB, 641x530px) Image search: [Google]
1490204430191.jpg
25KB, 641x530px
>>34183021
Absolutely fucking disgusting
>>
File: AR15-30CTR-2.png (2MB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
AR15-30CTR-2.png
2MB, 1024x1024px
>>34183254
those tritium followers seem really overpriced for what they do, woulnt it be better to just put high vis glow paint/reflective tape on a follwer in a clear mag- would be a 50 cent mod to each mag.

also RADHAZ?

unless you want to piss out radiation for 10 days cus you released mag in an enclosed space and it fell on follower and broke a glass vial. (likelihood less than 1%, and tiny amount of tritium per follower)
>>
>>34183381

they don't have enough radiation to harm you

freakin fudds reeee

Agreed on them being overpriced though. GITD might be better depending on where you're at.
>>
>>34183258
sure is summer in here.
>>
File: 13932082.jpg (76KB, 440x600px) Image search: [Google]
13932082.jpg
76KB, 440x600px
>>
>>34183437
You are a collosal faggot
>>
>>34183381
>sapphire vile enclosed in Silicon
Not going to break it bubba
>>
>>34183498

i seent burst tritium vials in night sights and acogs, I don't trust that shit (even though you are correct that it PROBABLY wont hurt you)

Now the aiming apparatus for a mortar is a bit of a different story

>armyfag used pliers on a tritium vial and smashed it
>>
>>34182680
>Looking at your magazine in a firefight
>>
>>34182525
Honestly, painting a small strip on the sides of a clear plastic magazine that goes from bright green to red (shortly BEFORE being empty so you know you need to change it) is probably the cheapest most efficient method at this time.

However.
Cobalt kinetics has a device they're making currently that apparently does this.
I think a mechanism combined with the green to red concept would again, be the simplest and most positive idiot proof method of doing an "ammo counter"

A color is much easier than a number.
>>
>>34182680
>>34182935
If you think mags are overpriced imagine when they start slapping on gimmicky LED bullshit.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.