[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /k/ Im thinking of what gun to get for self defense. I dont

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

File: revolvervsemi_2.jpg (75KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
revolvervsemi_2.jpg
75KB, 1000x750px
So /k/ Im thinking of what gun to get for self defense. I dont live in a terrible neighborhood,but live close enough to one to warrant a gun.

My question is revolver or semi-auto? I like the idea of more shots with a semi over the revolver but enjoy the added safety of a revolver but less shots.

I would like it as more of a deterrent but revolvers seem like a pricey deterrent. Revolvers though,t me,seem safer.As you can see Im not 100% on guns,but that isnt stopping me from protecting myself.So what do you guys think? Any info is appreciated.
>>
>>34181149
Get the semi-auto.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1496304284191.jpg (67KB, 805x805px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1496304284191.jpg
67KB, 805x805px
>>34181149
Why not a rifle? Why not a shotgun?
>>
>>34181149

Are you going to carry it? If not, get a cheap $200 shotgun. There's literally no reason to get a handgun as a primary self-defense tool unless you need to carry and possibly conceal it.

A shotgun or rifle is better than a handgun in every concealable way except concealability
>more power
>more rounds (in a rifle)
>longer range
>much easier to make accurate hits
>>
>>34181207
>>34181192
Sorry, forgot to say yes I want to carry with me
>>
>>34181220
p2000sk
>>
>>34181248
>p2000sk
my friend actually showed me that one too.I like it
>>
Advantages of an automatic:

*More shots
*Generally faster shots
*Much faster reloads
*Typically less expensive

Disadvantages of an automatic:

*Much more sensitive to ammunition quality
*More sensitive to mistakes in handling that can cause a jam or negligent discharge
*Much more complicated manual of arms make it much more sensitive to user error
*Requires much more maintenance to be kept in a ready state between periods of use
*Subject to more stringent state and local regulations

Advantages of a revolver:

*Can be used with a much wider selection of ammunition types for any given caliber
*Generally more powerful. The standard revolver caliber (.357 Magnum) is as strong as the most powerful commonly available autoloading pistol caliber (10mm).
*Highly unlikely to jam due to mistakes in handling. Can be used in some situations that autoloaders cannot like contact shots and inside-the-pocket shots.
*Extremely simple manual of arms
*Highly resistant to failures caused by lack of maintenance
*Legal in any jurisdiction of the United States

Disadvantages of a revolver:

*Fewer shots
*Reloads are much, much slower unless a speedloader is used
*More expensive

If you would like some elaboration on any of these points, just ask.
>>
File: IMG_0227.jpg (1MB, 3246x2271px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0227.jpg
1MB, 3246x2271px
If you plan on having only one gun for a while and want to carry it get a mid sized striker fire semi auto in 9mm
-Glock 19
-Sig Sauer P320c
-CZ P10C
-Beretta APX

Try all of these at a gunshop and pick which one feels best to you. Keep in mind the glock can be upgraded due to the large aftermarket. The reason this size is so optimal it's small enough to carry but big enough to train with and defend your home with if you must. It's the closest thing to a "one gun" setup you can buy, but fuck having one gun if you ask me. Why have one gun when you can have all the guns?

Another option is to buy a small carry gun like Ruger LC9 or a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield to carry AND buy a shotgun to defend your house with, which will come out to about the same price as a mid sized pistol

Also consider an AR for home defense. They are easier to use, give you 30 rounds of "fuck off" to dish out to any intruder, and even with irons have much better stock sights than your average shotgun or pistol, especially for low light vision.

TL:DR- if you need one gun, buy a mid sized 9mm, but fuck that: Get lots of guns.
>>
>>34181308
It's a great handgun made by a good company. I carry its bigger brother, the uspc. I suggest getting one with night sights and you're pretty much all set for having a great ccw, and there shouldn't be a single thing you would have to change about it for it to be a great gun. Make sure you get a really good holster and belt for whatever gun you plan to carry because it does make a difference. Also consider a rifle for HD. Get a good flashlight too.
>>
>>34181343
Its pretty straight forward man.Thanks for the info.
>>
>>34181370
A lot of those you listed are fairly large and would be hard to conceal if you're doing anything physical at all during the day. I used to carry a Glock 19.
>>
>>34181374
Definitely man.I already had a nice maverick 88 for HD but I have been meaning to get a good light on it.
>>
>>34181149

Semi-Automatic:
> Diamondback DB-9
> (Donald Trump had this gun ccw prior to the election)

Buy 147gr Wadcutters for it, and make sure they cycle properly. With the shorter barrel youll need more penetration so that is ideal for this gun, and wadcutters do alot of internal damage similar to a hollowpoint.

Carry 2 Magazines in addition to the one loaded in the gun (so thats 18 rounds carried with you).
>>
>>34181399
Good light are important, especially if you plan to do anything during the night.
>>34181421
I shot a DB9 and it was the biggest piece of shit I've held in a long time.
>>
>>34181389
True. They aren't optimal carry options, but if you plan on having only one gun for a while they can be carried. I carry my glock 19 3:30 in a IWB holster with a baggy button down short sleave over it and some under armor to stop sweat from spilling all over it. It aint optimal, and I plan on getting an LCR or something I can pocket carry/belly band to the gym, but it's doable and for a couple of months it was my only gun, and I'd much rather respond to a bump in the night with that than a carry gun.
>>
>>34181442
>>34181421

Another good combo ive heard about are revolvers in .327 federal. Because of the slimmer cartridge you can get +1 capacity over a .357 of the same size and the .327 hits almost as hard.

Best one of that lot I believe is the Ruger GP100 (7 round chamber), but thats about the same size as a normal handgun so thats up to you.

There's a tiny ass snubnose chambered in it (hammerless) that'll probably produce a hell of a fireball, but even if it hits as hard as a 9mm with a barrel like that it'll still get the job done.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_LCR

the new version holds 6
>>
>>34181524
I agree with you on the home defense point because a 19 would be much better than something like a shield. I prefer rifles for HD so that's what I stick with in just about any situation.
>>34181527
Rugers are great, I used to own a GP100 MC. I would go to a gunstore and compare the sizes to something like a shield. I can conceal my shield in just about any attire sans pocket carry. I'm not sure how available the ammo is in your area but I stick with 9mm because I can find it everywhere I go and I'm a big believer of carrying the ammo you train with.
>>
>>34181308
OP, one thing you should keep in mind about the P2000 or any handgun made by HK is that they are more expensive than the competition. The P2000 is thankfully much better than some of the other HKs about this, but it will still cost you more money.

I am not necessarily talking about just the gun itself, either. While HK handguns are always more expensive than the other options, the real cost of ownership comes from all of the paraphernalia that goes with the gun. Want to put a light on your USP? You'll need to shell out extra for a rail adapter. Want to put night sights on your USP? You'll need to pay 50-100% more than for night sights of a more common gun. Want a holster for your USP? You'll likely need to pay 50-100% more for that holster, even if it's just a basic kydex one. Want to upgrade the trigger on your USP? You'll need to buy a proprietary HK trigger kit, and you'll probably want a gunsmith to install it as it is not a drop-in part. Want to buy more magazines for your USP? Expect to pay somewhere in the range of $35 - $50 per rather than $15 - $25 per.

>>34181374 is absolutely correct that HKs are awesome, but you should keep in mind that they are guns meant for militaries, major LE agencies, and serious gun enthusiasts who are willing to shell out top dollar in exchange for getting the best product possible. There is a reason that their unofficial motto in the internet age is "HK: because you suck and we hate you."
>>
File: 40sw200gr1050fps.jpg (102KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
40sw200gr1050fps.jpg
102KB, 880x660px
>>34181572

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zR6ZHqArzI

Glock 20 or 29

load .40sw into it instead of 10mm
this isnt a joke, it works, and its even more reliable (cycling works just fine, and it treats the frame better)

Likewise, use this ammunition too.

(and well, youll be able to use 10mm if you want the added firepower, but this particular combo allows you to use more accessible .40)
>>
>>34181592
While HK is more pricy than its competitors I like the fact that they don't license their shit out to shitty companies. Pretty much all of their products are top notch. Also they are making USP series of guns with night sights so you don't have to pay a ridiculous amount and then get them installed. I think they are called LE versions and they should come with an extra mag as well. The thing about HKs is that you buy the gun and that's that, generally there is very little modification done to them by their owners. The biggest modification I see people do is trigger kits and I think the triggers are decent, they just take getting used to, they feel weird and mushy but break super clean.
>>
File: 1490117140239.jpg (99KB, 750x777px) Image search: [Google]
1490117140239.jpg
99KB, 750x777px
OP here.All your info is great guys.I do wanna add the reason I leaned toward revolver is the added safety.Such as there safety in general but the hammer too.Im a very absent minded guy with shit memory.Its just how I live.So any added safety semi auto? Meaning ive seen semi auto with hammers.1911. would carrying a revolver in coat pocket/holster and a decent size semi on me be wise or idiotic? I would imagine idiotic? Again,as you can see,im not that experienced.Thanks for any info.
>>
>>34181652
the p2000 has a hammer and a safety, i think they have different options as well. I don't think that idea is idiotic but if you're going to fire from the pocket consider the hammer might get bound up on the material, so hammerless design might be better in the pocket. In the fall and winter I carry my USPC and my shield on me at all times. Some people here carry 2-3 guns at all times.
>>
>>34181688
thanks buddy.Im liking that gun more and more.
>>
>>34181652
Many people will tell you that gun safety is ultimately contingent on you, the user to follow safe practices in order to avoid accidents from happening. They are correct, but, at the same time, some guns are very unforgiving when it comes to user mistakes and accidents.

Glocks (and all of their polymer striker-fired clones out there) are particularly infamous for this; there have likely been thousands of people around the world who accidentally shot themselves or others while holstering or unholstering because they made a small mistake that was amplified by their Glock. The same features that make a Glock an outstanding combat/carry handgun also make it a gun that requires particular vigilance and training in order to not be a danger to yourself or others. Take this into accountl when it comes to what you decide to buy.
>>
>>34181723
No problem m80, just go to an LGS and hold it before you buy it, and remember to get a lot of ammo, practice is the best thing you can do, and make sure you're following all the rules when you practice. It translates to having good discipline when you actually need to use the thing.
>>
>>34181740
So what calibers do you shoot? I was looking at 40 or 9mm...is 9mm really a shit round like everyone memes? Any other suggested semi auto calibers?
>>
File: Ruger-SR22-courtesy-ruger.com_.jpg (139KB, 800x828px) Image search: [Google]
Ruger-SR22-courtesy-ruger.com_.jpg
139KB, 800x828px
>>34181723

Ruger SR22
(yeah I know its a .22)

Get CCI Stinger Hollowpoints and use a knife to put + shaped cuts on them. On impact the hollowpoint will flay open and cause as much internal damage as a 9mm.

> dude I know takes Deer with it using a lung shot
> they run about 100 yd and fall over

One problem with .22 pistols is the magazines are only ever 10 rounds or less just because of feeding with rimfires, but its not really a problem with thin magazines like these.
>>
>>34181731
Absolutely.I am usually careful with everything, but sometimes it slips my head and I dont wanna hurt myself or others
>>
>>34181780
I do like the idea of hella low recoil.You could let of 10 rounds without feelings it.
>>
>>34181771
I shoot a lot of different calibers but when it comes to carry I stick to 9mm.
>is 9mm really a shit round like everyone memes?
Those are just stupid memes, the cartridge has been in used for over a hundred years.
I like 9mm because its a nice mix of capacity, stoppin powa, cost, availability, and how diverse some of the loadings are. I personally wouldn't recommend anything else because of how cheap it is to train with 9mm.
>>34181798
You will learn to handle the recoil as you practice more.
>>
>>34181798

Or shoot someone 3 times and then run like hell. And probably hit them all 3 times.

(and the way I described preparing the hollowpoints, they will scissor through someone and bounce around inside)
>>
File: 1459300790777.jpg (43KB, 460x561px) Image search: [Google]
1459300790777.jpg
43KB, 460x561px
Ok fellas I gotta head out.Thanks for all the info and help

Also Thanks for the gun and caliber recommendation Muslimbro. Definitely leaning toward the p2000.

Take it easy guys.
>>
>>34181878
No problem, just take everything as a grain of salt until you can verify yourself. Don't decide on the p2000 until you've held one and made sure its comfortable in your hands and what not. Later bud.
>>
>>34181823
>>34181878

The real benefit of 9mm is no matter what they're wearing, unless its body armor, its not going to affect the ability of the round to kill and incapacitate. With the .380 that actually becomes a problem.

The .40 just about peaks on body penetration but you lose some capacity. And .45 is kinda a meme unless you're going for a tweaked out round like .45 super (hits like a magnum).

Firepower doesn't mean anything unless its a magnum, and with that much firepower you start running into other issues. So when it comes to pistol rounds they're all pretty much the same except for how much meat penetration they've got.

Technically the 7.62 Tokarev is probably the best, though it will blow clean out the backside of anyone you shoot with it. Being a smaller bullet than 9mm its also got a higher pinball effect inside the body.
(this gun and the ammo are both rather cheap)
>>
>>34181343
>disadvantages of revolver
>doesn't mention the possibility to blow your finger off if you hold it wrong
granted it's a very basic rule but not everyone knows that
>>
some handguns worth looking into. gun owners should really mention their waist size, height or weight so people know what to recommend.

Sig Sauer P938/238 CZ P-10 C Kahr MK9
Bersa BP9CC MP9 Walther PPS M2 XDS Shield Glock 43.26.36. or 19 SIG P320c CZ P01 LC9s kahr CW380 p320 FN 509
>>
>>34181149
Shotgun with no 4 buckshot

Perfect for homedefense
>>
File: k approved 9 mm.jpg (1MB, 2500x2267px) Image search: [Google]
k approved 9 mm.jpg
1MB, 2500x2267px
>>34181149

Revolvers are simpler and easier to maintain than a semi auto pistol.

Semi auto pistols have more capacity and reload faster than revolvers.

So if you're planning on learning how to strip and reassemble the gun then I'd get a semi auto, if you just want something that's going to work and you don't want to spend the time to learn as much about gun maintenance then I'd go with the revolver.

If you go pistol get a 9mm and load it with +P Hollow Points.

If you go revolver get a Ruger, Smith and Wesson or Colt in .357 magnum/.38 special and load it with .38 Special +P hollow points.
>>
>>34181343
The maintenance thing is important, if you're just going to leave a gun in your drawer for months a revolver is a good choice
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.