[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sidearms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: BHD_015.jpg (214KB, 1280x536px) Image search: [Google]
BHD_015.jpg
214KB, 1280x536px
Talk to me about military issue sidearms in modern combat theatre.
Do footsoldiers still get issued one or are they reserved for officers and special units?
Do they even serve a purpose anymore with large combat units, fire support and short-barrel carbines? Or are they a last ditch kind of thing?
>>
>>34179664
we were issued a handgun with only one bullet
>>
>>34179781
Ok there captain jack
>>
Normally issues so you still can fight to the rifle you shouldn't have left behind.

More-over so Officers and people at the FOB can fall under the doctrine to be armed and are ready in case of combat.
>>
>>34179664
It depends on the unit really. When I was in the Army Infantry, officers, platoon sergeants, and 240 gunners had them. Later on the 240 gunners M9s got taken away because they were needed elsewhere.

I have no doubts that units with huge budgets, like SF or Rangers, a lot more people get sidearms.

I also know tankers get them as well.
>>
>>34179664
>Do footsoldiers still get issued one or are they reserved for officers and special units?

Foot soldiers do not get a side arm. I asked my brother when he came home on vacation from the army.

Foot soldiers each get one big rifle or similar sized gun. only officers get a side arm.
>>
>>34179795
-KAY THERE CAPTAIN JACK
>>
>>34179931
TAKE ME BACK TO THE RAILROAD TRACK
>>
I have question. I saw most photo of ppl having their handgun in the hip side. But sometime, there is soldiers wearing it on their chest. Why would some of them do that?> Having something else on their hip?
>>
File: 130404-M-RO295-230.jpg (1MB, 4894x2950px) Image search: [Google]
130404-M-RO295-230.jpg
1MB, 4894x2950px
>>
File: Marines Glocks.jpg (922KB, 3840x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Marines Glocks.jpg
922KB, 3840x2560px
>>
File: 130404-M-RO295-265.jpg (2MB, 4817x3126px) Image search: [Google]
130404-M-RO295-265.jpg
2MB, 4817x3126px
>>
>>34179964
Same reason some soldiers prefer drop leg holsters. Can be hard to draw off the hip when youre wearing bulky body armor and possibly other shit.
>>
>>34180485
It's good to see that our boys are getting training with grenades. Those things are dangerous.
>>
>>34179664
The millionth fucking time, no- the overwhelming majority of soldiers do not get issued sidearms.

In most units they go to officers and SNCOs. Whatever is left over after that goes to lower NCOs, machinegunners, designated marksmen. Some jobs like MPs, customs, dog handlers, and similar will give out more pistols to lower enlisted but it is not common. And I'll tell you another thing- the majority of NCOs and officers who get issued a pistol barely have an idea how to use it. Pistols are carried because you are required to have a weapon on you 24/7 on deployment, and officers and SNCOs find it easier to do all their meetings and bullshit with a pistol than strapping a rifle on their backs. Most people who are looking to get themselves issued pistols don't want them as an actual weapon, but so that they have an easier time walking around the FOB. D

>>34179964
Lots of reasons. Pistols on the hip can be a pain to reach while in armor. They can also cause snags when hopping out of helicopters or ground vehicles if they are on the hip. Most people you see with a pistol on their chest will wear it on their hip when inside the wire.
>>
Officers, SF, POGS, and 240L gunners.
>>
>>34180501
God, everything about that setup is such shit. I'm glad I don't have to use issued gear anymore.
>>
Why can't soldiers conceal carry while in the field? I know they're issues berettas, but I feel like something in 380 pocket carry would help out a soldier a lot
>>
>>34182245
Wut? You're retarded. I don't even know where to start.
>>
File: 1487232045727.jpg (31KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1487232045727.jpg
31KB, 400x400px
>>34182245
>but I feel like something in 380 pocket carry would help out a soldier a lot
>>
>>34179664
Im army Intel and I have one as a secondary.
Most people don't though.
>>
>>34179781
kek
>>
>>34179955
why have you stared this cadence......
>>
I'm a pirate and we all get them. Can't wait for that 320 compact.
>>
>>34179915

That's sounds like bullshit. I remember hearing stories of saw gunners switching to their side arm when their primary weapon jammed.
>>
>>34182479

Is it a choice?
>>
>>34179955
With a body bag in my hand
>>
>>34184682
Lol ok. If you are an enlisted soldier below E6 you have very slim chances of getting a pistol. It doesn't matter what your main assigned weapon is. If you somehow manage to get issued a pistol you only keep it as long as it isn't needed by more officers or NCOs.

Dudes commonly on deployment had to lug fucking SAWs and M240s to the chow hall because it was the only gun they were issued.
>>
>>34184692
What having a pistol? It's a choice in as much as if your unit happens to have extras left over after giving them to all the high ranking people you can ask for one. No guarantees on getting it.

People really don't understand how the military works. You go into a unit, let's say and infantry company and you are stuck with what they have. If there are 300 people in the unit and 20 handguns, well a *few* lower enlisted might get them, but it sure as shit won't be everybody or even every machine gunner.
>>
>>34184971
Sounds like more bullshit. Pistols are a dime a dozen. There are tens of thousands of them, enough for everyone.

Side arms are given to everybody because they are a necessity when a soldiers' primary weapon malfunctions.
>>
>>34184992
>Here is first hand experience of how it is
>NUH UH!
>>
>>34179930
>I know this my brother told me
>>
MP here, we usually dual arm rifle and pistol. Infantry don't tend to though.
>>
>>34184996
Literally every movie and news bit and game ever shows that soldiers carry sidearms by default. You claim to have first hand experience, but to me you are just an anonymous poster like any other. I have no reason to believe you at your word.
>>
>>34185347
>movies
>games

Well shit, you've probably got yourself an Xbox and a few cawadooties, why did you even make the thread when all the info you need is right there?
>>
>>34182245
To what effect? So nobody can see the uniformed soldier holding an M-4 is armed?

I hate to call named but you sir, are a fucking retard.
>>
>>34184992
Literally stfu you have no idea what you're talking about

Op, the answer in the U.S. army is very simple. Its the MTOE. The mtoe tells each unit very specifically the precise number of people and equipment they're are required and authorized to have.

Tankers are all mtoe an m9. Commanders are always mtoe an m9. Officers are not always mtoe an m9 and will argue with armorers to get one but won't receive it if your armorer has balls.

Lookup the mtoe for whatever organization you want, it will specifically be laid out.
>>
>>34185645
MTOE has never totally reflected real life IMO. (But it's a good baseline)

>Officers are not always mtoe an m9 and will argue with armorers to get one but won't receive it if your armorer has balls.

Like, there really isn't a reason NOT to give officers handguns if you have them in the armory. May as well, ya know.

But yeah, handguns are basically issued top down and they usually run out before little more than a handful of enlisted guys get them.
>>34185347
>movies
>vidya
Retard.
>>
>>34179781
did you serve withe 203rd potato platoon?
>>
Fucking lazy summer trolls and idiots actually believing them
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.