[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you become a gunsmith?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9

File: gunsmith-schools-in-sc.jpg (70KB, 620x423px) Image search: [Google]
gunsmith-schools-in-sc.jpg
70KB, 620x423px
Can you make a living working with firearms? Can the military train you or do you have to go through some sort of trade school?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxaFARP4eAM
>>
>>34179340
By being such a shitty machinist that it's the only way you can find work anymore
>>
>>34179340
>gunsmith
>posts video about armorers
>>
>>34179383
Sure, but fingering firearms is the closest thing you'll get in the military. The point being, how can you train to work with firearms for a living.
>>
by travelling back in time to the 50's when modular rifles like AR's didn't exist and gunsmiths were pretty much required if you wanted to customize your firearm and the middle class had tons of cash to spare.
>>
>>34179340
nra approves like 3 colleges that offer a "gunsmithing" course. really it's a bunch of machining courses with one semester of an approved gunsmithing course. you could go through the military small arms repair shit and be better qualified for most of it. if you're really interested in it, go to your local gun shop and get a job. the shop's smiths will probably take you on as an apprentice if you pester them enough about it.

i'm getting my machining courses at my local community college so i can get my certs. my short term goal is to get a job at one of the manufacturers that have relocated to the south. long term is opening my own shop someday.
>>
>>34179340
download the do/k/ument. plenty of gunsmithing stuff in there
>>
>>34179340
>Can you make a living working with firearms?
Yes. But I recommend against it unless your are completely self sufficient for food, power, fuel, and property tax.

>Can the military train you or do you have to go through some sort of trade school?
You don't need training, just knowledge and competence. However, trade schools for it exist.

>>34179442
Pretty much.
>>
>>34179340
>Can you make a living working with firearms?

Not really.

Usually people fix their own guns since taking a modern gun apart has become easy and replacing anything is as easy as ordering the part you need and putting it on, it is almost like a Lego set.

The only people who make money as gunsmiths are the guys who work covering the warranties for big gun manufacturers. and all they are doing is replacing parts or the whole gun depending on the damage and warranty. It is usually a guy who got promoted from assembly to repairs.
>>
>>34179435
The USMC armorers at Quantico are probably the closest to true military gunsmiths. I believe they're responsible for blueprinting the Remington 700 actions that they turn into M40s.
>>
>>34179340
Go to a gunsmith and ask him if he'll teach you gunsmithing. Maybe you'll find one who has a son who's going to college and constantly talks about gay rights and the correct way to use gender pronouns and who sees you as the son he lost to the commies and one day you'll inherit the shop and all the gold he horded and kept away from his faggot son who'd just blow it on drugs and purple hair dye.
>>
File: fag.jpg (228KB, 691x960px) Image search: [Google]
fag.jpg
228KB, 691x960px
>>34179586
>his faggot son who'd just blow it on drugs and purple hair dye
> tfw it probably happenned
>>
File: CARBON BASED LIFEFORM.png (877KB, 1000x571px) Image search: [Google]
CARBON BASED LIFEFORM.png
877KB, 1000x571px
>>34179340
>>
>>34179586
I DIDNT COME HERE FOR THESE FEELS ANON
>>
>>34179621
Still would.
>>
>>34179340
Manual machinist with ten years experience here ama
>>
>>34179340
Go to a gunsmithing school or start to learn from an gunsmith
>>
>>34179844
How did you learn the trade? How do you make ends meet? Big shop? Small shop? Would you do it again?
>>
>>34179897
I started out sweeping up chips in a fairly small family owned shop. After a couple months i got promoted to working on the shops bridge ports (little vertical milling machines). A couple months of that and i applied at a couple bigger shops, got hired on, they trained me in some different types of machines. After a bit of that i hopped shops again and learned pretty much the rest of the manual machines out there.

Ive been at my current shop for 8 1/2 years now, they pay $34/hr and gave me a key to the place and let me work as much overtime as i like.

Overall i like it well enough, the only thing is I really dont ever see the sun except on weekends and vacations. After i build up my 401k a bit more im going to swap to being a pumper or well inspector just so i can be outside more.
>>
File: 14967869436701537606026.jpg (652KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
14967869436701537606026.jpg
652KB, 2048x1152px
>>34180085
Pic related, making modules.
>>
>>34179435
> gunsmith school
> become govt contractor
> drive around in a van fixing pvt. Fucko's m4 at benning
>>
>>34179340
I'm about to graduate from a gunsmithing school. It's pretty dope. You can also just learn machining and apprentice for a gunsmith later.
>>
>>34180123
Don't they fix they own guns? What do armorers do all day? Triple check their inventories?
>>
>>34179340
Based on the one in your pic, gotta become an Ironforge dwarf.
>>
>>34180169
How else are you going to make an enchanted .308 (+3)
>>
>>34180169
You can have my raifu, just be gentle
>>
>>34179340
You are better of doing retail sales. Doing gunsmithing falls into two categories: luxury customizations and repairs. One is rare and not enough to pay the bills, the other is like being a used car repairman.
>>
>>34179340
True "I will customize your $2000 rifle into a $3000 rifle by hand" gunsmithing is a dead art. Emphasis on art. True artists may go decades before someone sees value in it, also companies kinda have all the bells and whistles on mass production nowadays

The most a gunsmith does nowadays is replace parts, rechamber fudds gun, and make some spiffy custom pistols. People are hunting with ARs and highly modular bolt rifles, not great grandpappys holland and holland from above the mantle in the den
>>
File: 1446256491384.jpg (165KB, 439x550px) Image search: [Google]
1446256491384.jpg
165KB, 439x550px
>>34179715

>tfw he looks a little like my grandfather
>grandfather has been dead since '95 and I never got to know him

I didn't need these feels.
>>
File: 1495300500190.jpg (9KB, 255x247px) Image search: [Google]
1495300500190.jpg
9KB, 255x247px
>>34180160
Army Small Arms repair 91F here.
Pretty much. It's an additional detail. They supposedly keep track of weapons, nvgs, and radios. They also supposedly ensure that weapons are turned in clean, and that they're in good repair. If they aren't permitted to fix something because it's above their designated level, they come to us. They just got permitted to do quarterly services on M16/M4 and M9 again. I still gotta run my gauges through for annuals.
Pic related, it's MFW I have to go to an MP arms room. Filthiest goddamn guns ever, I fucking swear.
>>
>>34180160
Armorers in my experience exist purely as the paperwork middleman between getting your rifle in or out of an arms room

Ive never in 6 years seen a deadlined m4 240 249 or m2 that required more than replacement parts

Army uses contractors for alot of shit that really doesnt warrant making an MOS for. Basically anything outside of doctrine that still needs to be done by someone
>>
>>34180247
There's still a market for that shit though. It's true you're not going to get rich, but if you love doing it, it's totally worth learning. You can always just work as a general machinist to supplement your income.

Most people want cerakote instead of hot salt bluing and case hardening. Most people want synthetic furniture instead of hand carved wood. Most people want cnc machined Punisher skulls instead of engraving. But there's still some people with good taste left :^)

I think there will be a rebirth of people wanting traditional style stuff done to their guns eventually.
>>
>>34179340
>>34180247
You can still become that kind of gunsmith here in germany as a craftsman, it just takes three years and additionally at least seven years of you want to become a master craftsman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apprenticeship#Germany
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_craftsman
>>
>>34180085
> I really dont ever see the sun except on weekends and vacations

I know that feel. You go in for an 8hr day and it turns into 14hrs and you forgot to take lunch and the only place open is waffle house, but you dont want to go because that faggy waiter with the pony tail is there
>>
File: 1496697871164.png (353KB, 499x482px) Image search: [Google]
1496697871164.png
353KB, 499x482px
>>34181051
>because that faggy waiter with the pony tail is there
>>
>i like X
>i'll get a job working at X!
>i hate X now.

turning your hobby into your job is the best way to make you hate said hobby.
>>
>>34180763
Those are just government trade certs you put on your wall and maybe present to an employer in lieu of an actual degree.

It's like being a "Master" machinist in the 'States. It doesn't actually mean you're good, just that someone's been logging all the hours you've spent on different machines and then sent that in to the state's dept of labor.
>>
>>34179844
>Manual machinist
>current year
I don't mean to insult you but why the hell is this still a thing. I don't doubt you're good at what you do (and I have tremendous respect for all the special skills/esoteric knowledge required to be a truly masterful manual guy) but CNC has been around en force for like 30 years now. Is your shop all manual or manual+CNC and you're the manual guy?
>>
>>34181446
If you need to make something simple, why draft up some simple-ass shit in autocad and upload it to a CNC mill when you can just jump on a manual milling machine and make it? Over reliance on technology is how skills are lost. Humans literally almost forgot how to rifle barrels without machines because of this.
>>
>>34179621
>natural hair color
you had one job anon
>>
>>34181511
>If you need to make something simple, why draft up some simple-ass shit in autocad and upload it to a CNC mill when you can just jump on a manual milling machine and make it?
This I agree with to an extent. This is a cost/benefit thing. Yes, sometimes just throwing something in the bridgeport vise is easier but sometimes its easier to just write a short program in a word document in the time it would've taken to set up the bridgeport. And factoring in having to make multiple of even a simple part or have to make it again int he future, writing the program becomes more worth it.
>Over reliance on technology is how skills are lost. Humans literally almost forgot how to rifle barrels without machines because of this.
I also agree with his to an extent, but as far as I know we've always needed machines to do rifling (unless you know something I don't).
>>
File: 1496033238174.gif (511KB, 245x175px) Image search: [Google]
1496033238174.gif
511KB, 245x175px
>>34181340
>>
File: 2017-01-13.png (476KB, 598x598px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-13.png
476KB, 598x598px
>>34181569
Fine, there.
>>
By being a machinist who can't hold a job.
>>
>>34181511
>Humans literally almost forgot how to rifle barrels without machines because of this.
story?
>>
>>34179715
Bless this man
>>
Anyone here know where I can get the timing on an Iver-Johnson unfucked?
>>
>>34179621
I'm not gay or nothin but that thing would have a 10 gauge asshole when I got done with it.
>>
>>34181635
I'm too drunk to dig for a source, but I read this article about how the old school 1700's method of rifling barrels was almost lost entirely. Some old dude in the 1950's that specialized in blackpowder shit kept it alive.
>>
>>34181739
Iver-Johnson revolvers are a pain in the ass to work on. If by any chance you're located in NC, I'll look at it for you.
>>
>>34181768
Nigga you gay af
I mean, I'd fuck a trap maybe... but that shit isn't even passable.
>>
>>34180085
>gave me a key to the place
i doubt that, as small business owner if i see that you hopped around different place like that i wouldn't trust you to wipe my ass
>>
>>34181379
>love guns
>work at gun store
>afraid everyday I'll start to hate guns
I don't, I just hate morons and stupid questions. I would rather be a box fetcher than answer stupid questions like "well which AR-15 is the absolute best?" Because when you tell them which in your opinion is best and why they almost always reply "well I don't wanna spend that much money".
I get money doesn't grow on trees man but you can't walk into a gun store with a $4.50 budget, ask for the best rifle in the house and think it's gonna be $4!!
>>
>>34181808
I'm just horny as fuck and refuse to jerk off.
I saw a deer the other day on the side of the road and became visibly erect.
>>
>>34181379
Pretty much this.

Unless it's your own business, I could only see this being a bad end
>>
>>34181824
i doubt retards who can't fucking read a basic sentence would own a small business, or at least one that lasted any length of time.
>>
>>34181880
I dunno man, I fucking loved guns before and getting into gunsmithing just made me love it even more. It's my passion.
>>
>>34179715
Othais with the popping up on random threads. I'm surprised that we haven't had a thread today about the new episode yet.
>>
>>34181770
Gunsmith of Williamsburg?
>>
>>34181796
PA
Only reason I'm bothering with the thing is because it's a .22 top break (with a short barrel) and those are rare
>>
>>34180085
Do you work in California?

Can you get me a job in shop, in Southern California?
>>
>>34181379
Guess you never heard the expression....
> Do what you love
> Never work a day in your life...
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.