[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where did the meme that only the Marine Corp sees combat come from?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: restrepo.jpg (96KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
restrepo.jpg
96KB, 960x540px
American light infantry in the army sees tons of action, why aren't they given the credit?
>>
>>34177504
Because there's fewer marine infantrymen in service, so statistically speaking you're more likely to be deployed in the muhreens than in the army.
>>
>>34177530
That's untrue. The Marine Corps is afforded a remarkably small area as a BSO. Army BCTs deploy more often than MEUs.
>>
>>34177504
That's not a meme... Or even a thing.

Marines might say we do it better, or first, which is arguable by anyone. But no Marine in history has ever claimed we do it all. If they did put them on, and I'll correct them.

t. 0311
>>
>>34177569
desu i didn't necessarily say that this meme is propagated by marines themselves, but rather that it is said by enough people too often.
>>
>>34177504
the corps is just a much cheaper army.
>>
>>34177569
Furthermore

>Light Infantry

OP, you simple bitch. Stop playing video games. There is no light Infantry, just Infantry, source: fucking Infantry.
>>
>>34177602
well, there is motorized and mechanized infantry
>>
>posts bullshit
>meme

Sage.
>>
>>34177638
Aka pogs.

We had MRAPs/humvees. I was a licensed driver. So I was mechanized Infantry in a Vic. Light Infantry on foot patrol.

Please do explain the job I did for four years vs. your Wikipedia/COD knowledge.
>>
>>34177669
Hm? Motorized infantry use unarmoured or lightly armoured vehicles to manouver, whereas mechanized infantry has armoured vehicles such as IFVs or APCs and support/are supported by said vehicle.
>>
>>34177602
>>Light Infantry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_infantry
>Today, the term "light infantry" generally refers to units that specifically emphasise speed and mobility over armor and firepower (including Commandos and parachute units), to units that historically held a skirmishing role but keep their designation for the sake of tradition, or to some combination of the two.
>>
File: whatahunk.jpg (114KB, 785x659px) Image search: [Google]
whatahunk.jpg
114KB, 785x659px
>>34177669
>>34177638
>>34177602
Light/Heavy/Stryker is a brigade and battalion doctrine and organization thing. In current day Afghan everybody uses the same vehicles and weapons. Been there twice in the past three years with a light brigade out of Carson.
>>
>>34177711
>>34177721
>>34177731
>Tfw explaining stuff to civilians
>Especially call of duty kids

We are issued vehicles. We drive them. That's called a mounted patrol.

Sometimes we went out on foot, an unmounted patrol.

Same unit, different patrols. So STFU with your video game terminology.
>>
File: 1491773150489.png (281KB, 371x532px) Image search: [Google]
1491773150489.png
281KB, 371x532px
>>34177788
>>
>>34177777
>>
>>34177788
thenks 4 cervix
>>
>>34177788
>>Tfw explaining stuff to civilians
>>Especially call of duty kids
I'm no expert and don't claim to be, i merely ask the question, and inquire further if i don't understand.

but how is Light Infantry video game terminology, it literally just means Commando/Parachute troops?

are you just being a haughty ass?
>>
>>34177849
he wants you to ask him about his cervix
>>
>>34177864
shit i forgot

>>34177788
thnk 4 servik
>>
File: 100_0472.jpg (2MB, 3968x2976px) Image search: [Google]
100_0472.jpg
2MB, 3968x2976px
>>34177563
after the surge into afghan, you were more likely to see combat in the USMC then in the Army. If in the USMC, due to 7 month rotations, its a higher chance to go to helmand or one of the southern provinces were the fighting was. Go look at sigact chart of casualties to see how active the AOs were there. If you joined the army, you have 12 month rotations plus the possibility of going to Korea of Germany for half your enlistment. Maybe Iraq was different, but in afghanastan almost none of my army friend saw any combat and most only did one deployment to some bs AO in northern provinces or on a gigantic airbase holding security.

tldr, you don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>34177849
As in no difference.

Shove a bunch of grunts on to a beach... Marines. Shove them on land, Army!

It's all labels, and the Marines had to pick up the Army's slack this last decade.
>>
>>34178070
>It's all labels, and the Marines had to pick up the Army's slack this last decade.
in what ways exactly?
>>
>>34177788
Light/mechanized/motorized/stryker exists at the brigade level. It has to do with the equipment your brigade is expected to deploy with.

If you're airborne and drop only with a few hmmwv and some atvs you've got different equipment from a brigade that usually trains with APCs.
>>
>>34178084
As in the Marines are qualified Infantry. They should, and we were fighting. Right next to the Army.

We fucking bailed them out for Everytime they say we did.
>>
>>34177788
hang yourself, welfare queen
>>
>>34177849
The video game equivalent would be a lightly armored, high mobility player class. It has no relation to real life where an infantryman is an infantryman.

However that infantryman is part of an organization, the meaningful level is brigade (BCT=Brigade Combat Team) which is the standard deployable unit.

Brigades are different with different mission focuses and different equipment in both type and quantity. An infantry platoon is an infantry platoon, what makes the whole thing different is the men and equipment that make up the rest of the brigade to make it happen. Some brigades will be heavy with certain vehicles, others less motorized. Some supporting artillery will be towed, others self-propelled.

And that goes before you consider the cavalry-style organizations.
>>
>>34177669
>Mech infantry are now POGs
What fucking time line are you from?
>>
>>34177669
Wow you sound like a gigantic faggot who probably never made it past e2.
T. Infantry 3 years
>>
>>34178171
>As in the Marines are qualified Infantry.
the army isn't?

>We fucking bailed them out for Everytime they say we did.
how? when?
>>
>>34178220
>player class
I'm not talking about player classes

now perhaps I'm speaking from a position of ignorance, but what you seem to be saying is that the light infantry isn't acting like light infantry nowadays, but i don't see how that disqualifies their capacity for light infantry work.

is there anything that STOPS them from being light infantry?
>>
>>34178672
Light infantry does not exist at the individual level. It is an infantryman who has whatever equipment he was told to use.

Light infantry only has meaning at the brigade level where you have a light infantry brigade which has so many trucks, so many humvees so many whatever.

Compared to a stryker infantry brigade which will have strykers.

Or a mechanized infantry brigade which will have bradleys.

Every person can be retrained to fight from a stryker, bradley or an airmoble or airborne manner, but it is a way to group and specilize skills that fit a particular mission.

Light infantry simply means less vehicles, and lighter vehicles when compared to a heavier infantry brigade. Do you have 60 trucks for 1000 men or do you have 90?
>>
>>34178766
ah, and you mean to say that there Light Infantry™ that simply isn't equipped and acting as light infantry, meaning they're Light Infantry™ in name only.
>>
>>34178837
I am saying that light infantry is a flavor of a Brigade Combat Team and it reflects the equipment they are MTOE'd (Master Table of Equipment) and the missions they train for.

If you deploy to Afganistan and doctrine says you're going to use armored HMMWVs and MRAPs, that is what you will use, and in the months before you deploy you will train with that equipment.

Your brigade might not use or train with MRAPs until that run up for deployment because your brigade's official focus is with other equipment and tactics.
>>
>>34178896
what is the actual definition of Light Infantry?

i was of the belief that that just meant Parachute/Commando, but this appears to not be the case.
>>
>>34178766
haha, what? So the distinction between light, motorized and mechanized infantry doesnt exist, because anyone can be retrained to fill another position?

Are you fucking retarded? No way you passed an asvab
>>
>>34178934
>Today the term "light" denotes, in the United States table of organization and equipment, units lacking heavy weapons and armor or with a reduced vehicle footprint. Light infantry units lack the greater firepower, operational mobility and protection of mechanized or armored units, but possess greater tactical mobility and the ability to execute missions in severely restrictive terrain and in areas where weather makes vehicular mobility difficult.
This is wikipedia.

Yes parachute infantry regiments might be considered light infantry. Commando has different connotations depending on what you mean by that.

10th Mountain is light in that they specialize for, get this, mountainous terrain. 75th Ranger Regiment because rangers doing ranger things (sneaky foot patrols).

But you can always supplement these units with more vehicles and heavier weapons and during deployment may be functionally identical to a more mechanized unit.
>>
>>34178946
Retraining isn't instant. And if you've ever PCS'd individuals can and will be sent to a unit that specializes with a different role. eleven bangbang is an eleven bangbang.
>>
>>34177978
>If you joined the army, you have 12 month rotations
That ended many years ago.
>>
>>34178171
Something something fallujah something something beach landings in the pacific. Marines are functionally retarded
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.