[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Killing an Object using conventional and nuclear methods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: heavyobj (5)-noscale.jpg (145KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
heavyobj (5)-noscale.jpg
145KB, 1280x720px
How do you kill this thing using conventional and nuclear methods? I find it hard to believe it would just render obsolete all modern conventional and nuclear war. It represents a huge concentration of force all in one place, making it a big juicy target. It can tank a nuke explosion, but considering the Object in ep 1 started melting, probably not multiple. Would it be helpful if we reduce the threshold of tactical nuke use and just throw lots of nuclear tipped missiles at it from beyond the horizon to avoid laser gun/coilgun/railgun fire? would we need to use stealth/jamming up the ass to deny sensors(wiki says they use radar, IR, UV, sonar and directional mics) targeting info until the missiles can hit?
>>
>>34175107
>>>/a/
>>
>>34175107
>>34175112
/thread
>>
>>34175107

A submarine using conventional torpedoes. These heavy-weight warmachines never do well against them.

>>34175112
>>34175132

Oh, go neck yourselves you no-fun-allowed fags.
>>
>>34175227
>>>/a/
>>
File: ASM.webm (541KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ASM.webm
541KB, 1280x720px
>>34175107
>>
>>34175107
Casaba Howitzer. The only way to be sure. Even if it can tank the nuke, still it can`t tank nuclear shaped charge.
>>
>>34175107
>>34176052

This basically, though you also have to go for Locational damage on something that big. Nukes or even thermonukes wont do it alone, you have to approach blowing it up as a demolitions project. Those joints where it meets the pontoons at the base look like a juicy target.

> mfw the ringworld in Halo:CE was destroyed by concentrating enough explosive force in a way that exploited its biggest weakness
>>
>>34175107
Nuclear-tipped torpedoes.
>>
>>34176052
wouldnt the atmosphere get in the way? maybe its cool for space but not on the surface
>>
>>34175107
I used to watch this anime. Dropped it after I realised it was generic anime shit with big boobed officers, unnecessar out of place fanservice and little girl solo piloting giant warmachines
>>
>>34176352
What is the show? I'm not familiar with it, at least just from seeing this enemy thing
>>
>>34175107

Find a way to deny it logistics, if it's manned it needs to eat.

A dead crew is a dead vehicle. No need for nukes.
>>
>>34176386
I really have no idea what Opie's picture is, but I assume it's some sort of super massive super Harden structure that is nuclear resistant. Opie admits, that one nuclear weapon is enough to damage it. The answer is simple, this thing can't be as tough as Cheyenne Mountain, if you simply hit it with enough nuclear bombs it will be destroyed. I like the nuclear shaped charge idea, but an object that big would be stationary, single-use, and it would destroy whatever was holding it in place.
>>
>>34175107
How about that copypasta of the Soviet plan to use a nuke to propel Cu plasma at a double-digit ratio of c.

I mean, I have no idea what op's image is but if the copypasta checked out then it'd ruin most anything's day.
>>
>>34176366
The show's called Heavy Object. Basically what happened was that years ago some random ass make belief country invented a super weapon called "object" which wrecks everything in its path from jets to tanks to entire carrier groups making conventional warfare obsolete. After the first object was destroyed using several nuclear warheads every other country started making their own objects and because of the military upheavel all the nations of the world split into 4 factions that constantly fight each other. Warfare has been pretty much reduced to duels because of the notion that only an object can kill an object. The story follows these three forgettable characters and how they go on daring missions fighting for their faction.
>>
File: Heavy-Object-Fan-service.jpg (141KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Heavy-Object-Fan-service.jpg
141KB, 1280x720px
Also its full of the usual fanservice shit to keep otakus interested and wanting to buy mechandise
>>
>>34176475
That's a pretty stupid seeming premise, which doesn't automatically make a show bad, Strike Witches has a stupid premise and I love it, but still, that doesn't seem like that good of a show
>>
>>34176474
It was not a Soviet plan, it was a US experiment. And it was a steel cap.

Soviets did not even concive it.
>>
>>34176475
>>34176411

I'll say it again, it needs to eat. If it has a crew it needs food and in the real world something like this would have food stockpiles, but it would need to be topped off, it's at sea, so it's airdrops or everything is sailed in. Deny it this chance to resupply and the crew starve to death.

Fuck I hate anime. Worst and lowest form of entertainment going, i'd sooner watch TV.
>>
Why not use a nuclear EFP or Shaped Charge? Would be guranteed to go through at least 10+ meters of steel, would probably go through it no problem
>>
In depth description of Object armor from the wiki so people will know what its like

A key part of an Object's structure is its special armor called onion armor The main body of a standard Object alone is over 50 meters, but it's not made by pouring melted steel into a ridiculously huge mold. Steel sheets about the size of a curved tatami mat are prepared and tens of thousands of them are put together in layers to create the giant sphere. The Object's main body is spherical so that it can withstand large scale attacks from all directions, including from nuclear landmines buried in the ground.[1]

The thin sheets serve to disperse and diffuse an impact rather than provide the defensive power of a thick wall. The theory is similar to that of a simple bulletproof vest, but it uses so many steel sheets that it can even hold back the shockwave of a nuclear strike, allowing an Object to continue moving and fighting after a direct hit or two from a nuclear weapon. Additionally, this armor design means that it is easy for the maintenance team to switch out damaged pieces. The steel plates also have insulating and conducting material placed and burnt onto them to produce a printed circuit board which carries power from the reactor to the Object's systems and weaponry without the need of a single cable. Object armor is also treated with a special powder that gives it a high-heat resistance and reactive ability.
>>
Overall, Objects are generally impervious to most types of weapons due to their onion armor. An Object's main cannon is usually capable of piercing another Object's armor in one shot if fired close enough, with even weak main cannons being capable of steadily damaging the armor with each attack and piercing it within a few shots. A nuke can also be effective if it manages to slip past the Object's sensors and point-defense system, though it's been noted that a single nuke would not destroy a normal Object and would only "distort" 20-30% of their weapons.

However, despite onion armor being usually considered almost invincible, it's still based on hunks of steel. Thus, it is vulnerable to things like sulfuric acid, aqua regia, or liquid nitrogen; so some Objects use their cannons to shoot special shells that spread those agents to damage an enemy Object's armor.
>>
>>34176557
>The thin sheets serve to disperse and diffuse an impact rather than provide the defensive power of a thick wall. The theory is similar to that of a simple bulletproof vest, but it uses so many steel sheets that it can even hold back the shockwave of a nuclear strike,
But isn't metal just a grid of atomic nuclei floating in a free sea of electrons (hence conductivity, malleability and cold-forging. Hence, shouldn't many thin layers be effectively identical to one large one
>t. history major
>>
>>34176557
Oh so you can use a nuclear shaped charge then
>>
>he doesn't use composites in his armor
>still using monolithic armor
>current year + 2
>>
>>34176614
Well remember most metals oxidize or rust, however if there is no layer of oxidation over the surface of a metal and two metal surfaces with good conductivity are pressed together, they will actually fuse together, this process is called cold welding. Now hypothetically if we assume that all these layer spams are free of spacing inbetween we can also treat it like a single layer of armor typically which makes the whole idea of it absorbing shock better than a single cast itself a fucking moot point.
>>
>>34175107
This is literally what the show was about you faggot did you even watch it? Also I want to FUCK Frolaytia.
>>
Okay before I go I'm gonna quote a line from episode 1 that describes how the armor is.

"It had onion armor made of layers upon layers of armor forged by mixing in a powder of high performance anti-fire reactant milligrams at a time. And by adding laminating conductor and insulator materials together onto those metal plates it had a printed power transmission system that could transfer power from the reactor located at its core to the external armament without laying a single line of cable."
>>
>>34176177
It won`t. The range will be a fraction of that in space. Collaterial damage will be rough, thou...
>>
>>34175107
>How do you kill this thing using conventional and nuclear methods?
casaba howitzer warhead would fuck it hard from a few hundred meters. otherwise you can vaporize the ground beneath it and make it fall into a ditch which it is incapable of climbing out.
>>
>>34175107
you can probably also cause a thermal overload on it. if you dose it with burning napalm (and or showering with hyper-velocity fissile material) constantly it will have no way to cool itself and will cook from the inside out.
>>
>>34175107
Underwater nuclear explosion.
Let's see if it's still floating the right way after.
>>
>>34177051
detonating a series of nukes on top of it could also work the ir radiation up that close must be fucking brutal and lasts for quiet a few secs after explosion.
>>
>>34175107
That is some really shitty CG.
>>
well if you want the nuclear option you could simply hit it with about 20 mirvs and that would destroy it. it also looks like it doesn't have much on the horizontal defence so you could prob hit it with a shitton of sea skimmers / battleships and make it unalive
>>
>>34176475
So it's a rip off of Armored Core FA?
>>
>>34179238
never saw that, so I cant really say.
>>
File: 1.jpg (179KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
179KB, 1280x720px
Heavy Object is fun as a show because its actually just about 2 infantrymen being bros and blowing up the shitty Objects with various forms of sabotage. The whole point is that Objects are actually terrible and can get their shit pushed in with a little ingenuity.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.