[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linguists in the Military

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_6339.jpg (72KB, 990x486px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6339.jpg
72KB, 990x486px
Why do they act like absolute assholes? And why do they pretend to act cool with their TS clearance?

Pic related; a linguist leaked several classified documents to the press. She was a e-5 chairforce linguist.
>>
>>34171575
climate change is real, but the effect that people are having on ti is debatable, especially compared to the past
>>
>>34171575
>cat lady thinks she will ever have the choice to have kids
>trusting a woman with classified documents
>>
File: IMG_6340.jpg (81KB, 990x476px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6340.jpg
81KB, 990x476px
>she unironically has TS clearance

What an absolute joke. I hope she gets 50 years
>>
>>34171575
The real question is why we don't hang traitors anymore.
>>
Quick rundown: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/the-feds-arrest-a-alleged-leaker/529248/

AIR FORCE CONFIRMED TO BE TRAITORS GAS THEM ALL
>>
File: IMG_6207.jpg (31KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6207.jpg
31KB, 320x320px
>>34171575
>e-5
>woman

IM A LOWER RANK THAT THIS CUNT?
>>
>>34171616
Ah yes, the ''alternative fact.''
>>
File: IMG_6342.jpg (54KB, 727x407px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6342.jpg
54KB, 727x407px
How can the president give a random Air Force NCO security clearance. Am I missing something?

Is this real life?
>>
>>34171711
>tfw chain of command is an absolute lie
>>
>>34171711
Sounds like a mole
>>
>>34171711
>it's a NSA can't recruit normal law-abiding employees episode

Can they do anything right?
>>
>>34171750
NSA values skilled talent by paying degenerate contractors while the FBI hires subpar talent that's rigidly businesslike and professional. This bites both agencies in the ass in different ways. FBI's infosec and CS staff are garbage compared to private sector while NSA can't control leaks.
>>
>>34171837
IT staff, fucking brainfart
>>
The irony of someone named "Reality Winner" trying to take down a man who fired people on national TV as part of his reality TV show... just staggering.
>>
>>34171687
We have yet to see an actual realistic effect of the very slightly increased global temps, beyond coral bleecheing which has a incredibly long list of causes.
>>
>>34171575
I am currently in graduate school to get my master's in linguistics, so here's my perspective from being around people in this field for several years.

Although linguistics can have an evidence-based scientific approach, most linguists have VERY LOW standards of scientific rigor - and I mean professional papers being published regularly with very small data sets, sometimes a sample size of only 2 or 3 subjects - and there are a lot of people who find themselves in linguistics who would have done much better if they'd stayed in comparative literature, translation or whatever liberal arts field their BA was in. A lot of linguistics papers are published with no empirical data and pure theory, which can be tricky when competing theories in the field give entirely different results. Since peer-reviewing of papers happens by other linguistics professors with your exact same specialization, it ends up being a bit of an echo chamber for the non-empiricists.

Don't get me wrong, empirical linguistics IS good science, and empirical linguistics are pretty smart people. It's just that there are so many pseudo-scientific papers vomited out by liberal arts professors masquerading as linguists who have had no scientific training that you can't make blanket statements about linguists without the negative connotation of those people tainting the field. And yes, the politics goes along with it. My advisor, for example, REFUSES to do a study examining the efficacy of non-native ESL teachers vs. native ESL teachers because she's afraid of all those Ahmeds and LingLings employed in different colleges in charge of TEACHING ESL who are totally unable to pronounce the language intelligibly. She doesn't want to be the one who denied those poor foreigners their jobs by pointing out the truth of their utter incompetence.

tl;dr, many linguists are basically just liberal arts professors
>>
File: DBmgx27XUAEVFcs.jpg (36KB, 500x405px) Image search: [Google]
DBmgx27XUAEVFcs.jpg
36KB, 500x405px
>>
>>34171963

You're very cunning in your profession, aren't you?
>>
>>34171677
E5 in the air force is easy. Just stay in for 4 years, get 5-level (easy as shit for most career fields) and pass your ALS (do distance course instead of residence). Don't sweat the promotion board. Promotion isn't competitive until SNCO ranks. Everyone gets promoted unless you have a ton of unfavorable in your files or you didn't do your ALS and shit.
>>
>>34172012

How is that?
>>
>>34171711
Because at an abstract level, the President grants clearances.
>>
>>34171932
sauce
>>
>>34171932
Well yes, the most effected areas are like SEA and sub-Saharan Africa. The effects of global warming could destabilize those regions.

Ocean acidity is likely to cause fishing wars in the South China Sea
>>
>>34171575
Half the State department and all of USAID also shares her beliefs. Welcome to the deep state.
>>
>>34171575
She should be tortured before being impaled as a traitor. Traitors deserve death. They also deserve impalement. We stopped executing traitors 50 years ago and now you have literal faggots giving our state secrets away to our enemies. I hope Trump insists on the death penalty.
>>
>>34172077
I guess you aren't a cunning linguist.
>>
>>34172761
Is this a reference to some movie?
>>
>>34172419
>>34171932
There are almost as many benefits as there are costs to rising temperatures. Land that was too cold is now temperate enough for higher crop yields more or less making up for land that is now too arid, decreased time for ocean going voyages due to traversal arctic seas, less deaths every year due to colder temperatures and less energy spent on heating costs. There are winners and there are losers, there are positives and negatives. The costs, for all the studies, appear tolerable and the benefits have barely been explored because it isnt PC to research them.
>>
>>34172835
>someone skilled with their mouth
>>
>>34172835
It's about cunnilingus you dingus
>>
>>34171656
At least they'll probably gas her cats while she's in the hole
>>
>>34172854
Well I bet its because people like to have the status quo of what they are used to, so anything is "changing" (for bad since that's all they hear about) is something they would rather not see occur. It's really hard for me to find any sources on any benefit that could be had when the climate changes to be more hotter. The only thing I could find was the "Northwest Passage" regarding shipping lanes and most likely passenger travels.
>>
>>34172419
>sub-Saharan Africa
>destabilize

can't break what's already broken
>>
honestly why are people so mad, I thought most of /k/ hates the United States government, except for the few feds who come here
>>
>>34173991
/k/ may talk like a bunch of uber-patriotic rebels sometimes but the fact is that we're as much a part of the unwashed masses as anyone else.
>>
>>34173991
to add, if the information compromises national security, I understand, that pisses me off too, but I see nothing wrong with exposing the government doing unethical shit or generally being fuckups
>>
>>34171656
It's going to take a lot of rope to hang the entire federal government.
>>
>>34172854
The loss of reliable freshwater supplies, and the loss of a huge amount of the most productive farmland in the world, make it pretty hard to "break even" on climate change. Unless you're Russia, in which case you're basically trading St. Petersburg for a more exploitable Siberia.
>>
>>34174027
this

so many people here thing they're ((badass)) but they're really just as pathetic and vulnerable as everyone else.

Just because you own a firearm, does not make you a ''survivor'' in a life or death situation; It just makes you just another pussy with a gun in a SHTF situation
>>
>>34171660
Hey fuck you guy. She was a cunt, don't pin her bullshit on the rest of us.
>>
>>34172036
No such thing as promotion boards in the air force. You take two tests, one on basic air force knowledge, the other on your career field. These scored are combined with other points such as time in rank, EPR's, medals. The total score is stacked against others in your field and the top X number are picked, you just check the website to find out if you made it or not.
>>
>>34174030
The problem is, are these leakers are actually releasing information that do prove some government fuckups or unethical stuff, do all leakers have this intention? So far this isn't on par with Watergate IMO, and there is an independent special investigation going on with Mueller leading it. In this instance, it looks like she released info that could compromise the case of looking into Russian collusion with Trump's campaign.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.