[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are slugs good for home defense?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: MRSlugger_box_shells[1].jpg (30KB, 600x383px) Image search: [Google]
MRSlugger_box_shells[1].jpg
30KB, 600x383px
Are slugs good for home defense?
>>
>>34170767
Yes.
>>
>>34170767
No
>>
>>34170767
Maybe
>>
>>34170767
I don't know
>>
>>34170767
What?
>>
>>34170767
Perhaps
>>
>>34170767
Could be
>>
>>34171102
Should be
>>
>>34171105
Not quite though
>>
>>34170767
>obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiHHgjaR0TI&t=1151s
>>
>>34170767
Depends on what your walls are made of and how far your neighbors are. Could a slug penetrate dry wall and brick and go into your neighbor's house?
>>
>>34170767
if a deer or bear is breaking in, maybe, but #4 buckshot is better. keep a few sliugs on the sling in case your dog gets mixed up with something, as buckshot will not solve that problem easily
>>
File: 1493863635608.jpg (51KB, 600x887px) Image search: [Google]
1493863635608.jpg
51KB, 600x887px
>>34170767
If you're not concerned with collateral damage through thin walls, then yes. Buckshot won't have much spread in a typical 3 br home or small apartment to matter, you can still miss. The same with a slug but if you catch them pretty much Anywhere with a 1 oz slug, they will be out of the fight
>>
>>34170767
00 buckshot will hit anything more than 10 yards away by just pointing the shooty end in the general fuck you direction
>>
>>34171214
You can still easily miss a person at 10 feet with buckshot the spread isn't very big man
>>
I live in an apartment with thin walls. Are 3" Winchester sluggers a good idea?
>>
>>34171258
10 feet =/= 10 yards my friend

And still the spread at 10 feet is pretty significant for the rang, you'd have to almost be purposely not aiming at the person to miss. /k/ takes the "lol shotgun no spread" meme way too far.
>>
>>34171078
Can you repeat the question?
>>
Yes. Slugs make home to home combat a breeze.
>>
>>34173307
You're not the boss of me, now.
>>
Yea. Slugs go through houses pretty well. If a house ever attacked me I'd want some super sabot slugs.
>>
>>34171745
Nigger I just shot my coach gun at 10 yards out of a modified choke and the spread was 2"

Your and idiot.
>>
Can you use it in a sentence please?
>>
>>34170767
00 buck, personally. Unless if you're past 20 yards
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 185x185px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 185x185px
>>34171745
>cutting your shotgun so short it has noticeable spread at 10 yards
Anuuuuuu chiki briki!
>>
>>34171335
Even 9mm would get you evicted for shooting through the walls.
>>
>>34175968
fug

t. someone who has a 9mm for home defence
>>
File: noice.png (162KB, 835x604px) Image search: [Google]
noice.png
162KB, 835x604px
>>34170767
Noice.
>>
>>34175990
Be aware. I shot some nigger with shitty academy brand monarch HP and it went through him, 2 layers of drywall 2 tempered glass mirrors and a bathroom door. Cops showed me the recovered slug and it was a flat disc of lead and some shards of copper.
>>
>>34176099
so im only allowed to use .22?
>>
>>34176099
Congratulations! Now the more important question - fatal shot or wounding?

(And by the way, fuck verification that makes me do it twice - I fucking KNOW I clicked all the goddamned vehicles/roadsigns/storefronts, so fuck you.
>>
>>34171034
/thread
>>
>>34176147
You can use whatever the fuck you want but bodies are non consistent and what may stop completely with one shot might be a through and through the next.
>>34176168
He died in an ambulance after bleeding out on my bathroom floor for a half hour, it was a gut shot and went right through. He had a gun in his hand when i shot him and i didnt do anything wrong so nothing happened to me. Also black on black crime so no news. Worked out fine for me legally, but i was kicked out of where i lived.
>>
Sure, if you like collateral damage. Worse than Wolf out of a WASR which people are already on record putting through two(2) adjacent houses.
>>
>>34171745
An inch is not significant.
>>
>>34176210
>black on black crime
nice

In all seriousness sorry about you getting kicked out of where you live thats some bullshit
>>
File: 1399933014919.gif (1MB, 170x180px) Image search: [Google]
1399933014919.gif
1MB, 170x180px
>>34176147
No, you should use something that isn't fucking dirt piss ammo. Spring for proper Hornady or whatever you prefer.
>trusting your life to fucking plinking ammo brands
>my fucking face
>>
>>34171092
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x-ujqvOhts

listen to this and tell me where you fucked up
>>
>>34176241
It was a shithole in the ghetto, it was shitty when it happened but it got me out of blacktown so im happy. It wasent really an "eviction" but them saying i broke the lease and saying if i wasent out in a week i would be evicted. That and charging me bullshit for it. But at least i didnt have a black mark in finding another place.

You guys just gotta weigh the potential penetration against your life. That being said i still use 9mm for home defense, better ammo though.
>>
Anything that's gonna work on people is also gonna punch through several walls if you miss them.

Good pistol hollowpoints stay in the body or, if they manage to penetrate the skin on the exit side (tough barrier for a slowed hollowpoint), don't have much velocity to get them very far and are rather un-aerodynamic.

Of the shotgun variety, normal Foster slugs actually tend to fragment into three pieces inside the body and stand a decent chance of not posing a significant downrange hazard after a torso hit. A miss, however, means you're pushing a 1oz chunk of lead at 1200-1600FPS, and that shit's gonna go through most common building materials. If you're using Brennekes or something similar all bets are off.

Unplated lead buckshot is a safer move than plated buckshot when it comes to penetration. Brick will generally stop it, and I've seen it stopped by plywood siding after traveling through a wall (#1B). Anecdotally, there are cases of it being partially stopped by a screen door (#4B). Plated buck gets you deeper penetration (with FliteControl 00B, most pellets b/t 16-18"), but anecdotally most pellets stay within the body assuming a solid hit.

For rifle stuff, bonded soft points may not be the best move as deeper penetration usually results. Look for a load that gets 12-18" in penetration and you stand a fair chance of getting one that'll stay within the body after expansion. I'd also consider a fragmenting load like the 77gr OTM stuff.

TL;DR: Misses are your most significant "overpenetration" hazard. People make good backstops. You should look for a load that'll stay within the body if you get a hit, or at least be significantly slowed and deformed after traveling through the body.
>>
>>34176099
Its almost as if building materials are extremely easy for a bullet to penetrate and theres a good chance of any make and caliber projectile making its way into whatever is behind your wall.

/k/ worrys far too much about the bullet and far too little about what their backstop is in these situations.
>>
>>34176282
Im curious what constituted breaking the lease? Protecting yourself in your own home from hoodlum with a gun?
>>
>>34170767
There must be some tough turkeys where you live
>>
>>34176308
I was mostly surprised it went through 2 plate mirrors and still had enough speed to go through a door.
>>34176311
"Discharging a firearm indoors without reason". Apparently an armed nigger in my home stealing my shit isnt reason enough for the company that owned the apartment.
>>
>>34176329
fuck them anon, Im surpised you dident persue legal action, for fucks sake you were defending yourself.

In any case gj getting a confirmed kill and making the world a better place
>>
>>34176329

Most leases have a provision that's vaguely written enough to kick out a tenant who shoots somebody, unfortunately, even if it's legitimate.

One of my former leases would also evict me if I were arrested for a felony charge. So, hypothetically, had I gotten into a shooting and ended up charged, I'd have been evicted -- regardless of whether it occurred in the dwelling.

Landlords -- especially of the corporate variety -- are not your friend when it comes to valid self defense.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.