[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /k/ think I could repurpose a jewelry cleaner to rapidly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 84376_1000x1000.jpg (55KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
84376_1000x1000.jpg
55KB, 1000x1000px
Does /k/ think I could repurpose a jewelry cleaner to rapidly clean firearm parts?
Also, general cleaning tips/ firearm care thread
>>
Just put it in the dishwasher.
>>
>>34168071
considering hornady sells sonic cleaners as cleaners, yea my dude, just make sure to clean it and use the proper cleaning agent.
>>
>>34168078
this
you'd need a HUGE jewelry cleaner to do firearm parts
>>
>>34168081
Ah shit, should have just searched for ultrasonic firearm cleaners in the first place

>>34168085
>>34168078
If I put it in the dishwasher, should I take any precautions as far as soap/detergent I should use
>>
Make sure it can handle whatever solution you use. Jewelry cleaner is very mild vs something designed to eat copper and carbon.

Most plastics will break down (carbon bonds) from hoppes alone.

(Insert smug plastic frame insult here)
>>
>>34168071
Just heat your solvent.
>>
>>34168071
Those are great for cleaning brass.
>>
Jewelry cleaners are ultrasonic.
Go get the harbor freight ultrasonic (identical to Hornady's) and a bottle of Lyman Turbosonic solution.

Don't use it on aluminum parts. No issues using it on my Glock, but no promises for other polymers.
>>
>>34168071
I use this:
https://t.harborfreight.com/65-gal-portable-parts-washer-with-pump-62743.html?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Keep a mix of stoddard solvent and automatic transmission fluid in it.
>>
>>34170973
This.
>>
White rice and turtle wax. The cream compound not the stuff that comes in a bottle. I use that for cleaning brass in a lyman shaker, it works amazing and is cheap as dirt. And even better, you can reuse the rice pretty much forever, it only takes a dollop of the turtle wax polishing compound and it's good to go again.
>>
>>34168071
I have that rice cooker.
>>
>>34168071
ultrasonic cleaners work great. fill it with 50:50 water and simple green and itll clean the shit out of anything.
>>
>>34168071

I'm a gold smith and they work pretty effectively for cleaning small parts but that's it.

My two pieces of advice.
1. Don't buy one of those shitty chink $60 "jewelry cleaners".
They're extremely weak and won't last that long

2. If you do buy one don't stick your fingers in it and shit while it's on, unless you want to fuck up the bones in your fingers.

Also pic related it's the one I use
>>
>>34172259
I use a mix of ground walnut and ground corn. get it in pet supply stores for half of what you'd pay for actual brass cleaning media because of the gun markup.

I use New Finish Car Polish in the orange bottles for about $5. It gets the brass sparkling in no time.
>>
>>34168071
>stick slide of usp into ultrasonic
>it's blued
>finish is fucked, dark splotches and shit all over

be careful what you put in, "nitrided" in a lot of cases is similar to blued
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.