[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

General Brit Military Questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: 1496436006911.png (56KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1496436006911.png
56KB, 429x410px
Any brit vets here? If I sign up for a combat role as a rifleman, will I get to see action in the current geopolitical situation? What British regiment is currently on a tour where killing is going down, not just lounging around in Germany or doing shit in Kenya?
>>
File: BritSurrender.png (1MB, 1024x772px) Image search: [Google]
BritSurrender.png
1MB, 1024x772px
>>
>>34167433
*gives it up*

God bless the Queen...
>>
It doesn't matter. Any Infantry unit is going to get a deployment somewhere, at least in some capacity.

>What British regiment is currently on a tour where killing is going down
Watch the news and make your own estimates. Doesn't matter, though, as even if you do get accepted (you won't) you'll be likely be pinged for something else entirely.

>not just lounging around in Germany or doing shit in Kenya?
Kenya is a massive commitment at the moment.
>>
>>34167596
>(you won't)

Why?
>>
>>34167616
You lack the mindset for Infanteering. It's nuanced and measured, professional work, not "killing going down." You can certainly acquire it, but you don't have it at the moment.

That, and the medical/selection requirements are far tougher than they were years ago. Not in fitness, but just getting past the medical and interview is a lot more challenging than it once was. Something like 85 percent of applicants are turned away.

Give it a go, regardless, but approach it with a clearer head. You're basically going after the hardest, most thankless job in the Army.
>>
File: AVERAGE AMERICAN MALES.png (1023KB, 654x1349px) Image search: [Google]
AVERAGE AMERICAN MALES.png
1023KB, 654x1349px
>>34167433
>americucks are this weak
>>
>>34167417
>Any brit vets here
unfortunately

By the time you join whatever regiment they will be long gone.
its not like you even get a choice of infantry regiments, its either your local infantry or the guards, and the guards don't pull QRF from Cyprus or Gibraltar.
>>
>>34167663
Cheers for the advice. Any tips on how to 'get the mindset'?

I thought the military constantly needed grunts to get their legs blown off. Has it gotten tighter because of the lack of fighting?

>past the medical and interview

What kind of things will get you rejected?

>>34167704

Why unfortunately?
>>
File: RS59904_MX170012008-1021x580.jpg (84KB, 1021x580px) Image search: [Google]
RS59904_MX170012008-1021x580.jpg
84KB, 1021x580px
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-queen-elizabeth-sail-trials-later-month-date-revealed/

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/type-31-frigate-order-increased-vessels-assembled-scotland/

Might as use the thread for the good news on the navy front.

>a confirmed date for the Type 26 steel being cut
>a rough date for QE trials
>a contract being putout for tender of 6 Type 31s
>>
File: MissYouRik.jpg (292KB, 1024x1604px) Image search: [Google]
MissYouRik.jpg
292KB, 1024x1604px
>>
>>34167859

2017 is a pretty neat year.

>QE will sail in a month or so
>Type 26 will have first steel cut
>4x 37,000 tonne tankers will come into the navy
>HMS Audacious just hit the water
>First of the new OPVs arriving
>F-35's up to 10, should be around 16 by years end
>First Ajax vehicles arriving
>Typhoons Storm Shadow, Meteor and Brimstone tests conclude for 2018 in service
>Zephyr UAVs start moving into testing
>Warrior rebuild construction starts
>PoW might be floated out if construction keeps going this well with it

Gov obviously making too much of it and ignoring the problems that need solved, but there's some exciting shit happening this year.
>>
File: ASTER-20.jpg (115KB, 1120x592px) Image search: [Google]
ASTER-20.jpg
115KB, 1120x592px
>>34168124

Really, really makes me want to join as a WE. Might be my true calling given I'm this obsessive with this kit.

We can only hope the slow and steady approach can be maintained for the future.
>>
Starting my AOSB main board tomorrow. I'm in a much better physical condition than I was in the briefing (25 min 4 mile run, 135kg bench, 180kg x11 deadlift with a 250 max, 12 dead hang pullups) but I have to say my prep for the Plan Ex could have been better.
>>
>>34168288

Good luck my laddo.
>>
>>34168296
Thanks mate. I'm nervous as fuck, but looking forward to the challenge. My main problem is that I can flap a bit under pressure, but hopefully I can just push through and get the job done when it matters. The aptitude tests, group discussion, lecturette and essay will probably be my strong points
>>
>>34168345
Just in case, dont act like what you think a stereotypical officer is. Apparently a lot of lads go there and waffle about playing polo and speaking seven languages, and most of them get binned. If you do claim to speak a language, theyll whack you in a room with the guy who speaks 20 languages fluently and he will just rattle off.

Best of luck mate, just be genuine, work hard. They want fit blokes with their heads screwed on, not artistocrats who pheasant hunt in daddys game estate.
>>
>>34168345

I'd give you advice, however I'm at the stage where I'm trying to get myself to take the first step - been in the recruitment office three times, but haven't kicked it off yet.

I've err and umm'd over picking the RAF or navy, but I've found my role I want from the navy now. I just need to start getting myself fitter before apply.

You should do fine though.
>>
For a country full of noguns faggots you sure fill up the fucking catalogue.
Can't wait for the tories to build that fucking great firewall already so we can all be done with you rotten toothed shitters once and for all.
Its all for your own safety, really.
>>
>>34168405

Hey, to be fair I'm pretty sure 'we' don't make 95% of threads on this board related to our country. There's not that many of us.
>>
>>34168375
I was in the OTC at uni so I know what's expected of me in terms of deportment (and did well in that aspect at briefing). I'm from a bang average background and I try not to act like a young officer stereotype, and I didn't embellish or lie on my CV at all so I shouldn't get caught out by anything like that. It's just making sure I'm up to standard in the actual assessments.
>>
>>34167417
If you want to make some great mates, shoot guns but also go through incredibly boring, tedious and physically arduous shit for questionable reasons, go infantry.
If you want to neck brews, skip fizz and be in a small box with three other blokes and their farts for extended periods of time, go armoured.
If you like big guns that go boom but arent too keen about being on the recieving end of said boom, go arty.

If you want to have good trade skills for when you get out but spend most of your time in hating life, doing arbitrary shite and jacking off, go combat supporting arms (Sigs, RE)

If you want to work in an office environment, maybe get some qualifications and do it all in a uniform without ever having to fire a round in anger, go service supporting arms. (RLC, REME, Medical Corps)
>>
try arrse.co.uk for more advice
>>
>>34168439
Well you sound like a good bloke and obviously are in good shape, so good on you, best of luck.
>>
try arrse.co.uk for more advice, lots of vets there
>>
>>34167840
>>34167663
>>34167704
blease repond
>>
>>34168484
And at least 20 blokes who were all the 2nd man on the balcony for the Iranian Embassy siege
>>
>>34168502

I know, right?

Prentenders don't even know the boatshed was never painted in the first place.
>>
>>34167840
>I thought the military constantly needed grunts to get their legs blown off. Has it gotten tighter because of the lack of fighting?

Try the USMC. But seriously what the fuck is wrong with you? Grow up.
>>
>>34168535
Or that the actual selection consists of spoken word poetry, a creative writing session and of course, the infamous novel in 30 days challenge. I hear this years one is sci-fi romance, the poor bastards.

Only after that do you get your black belt, ninjitsu and start knife fighting in zero gravity training.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.