[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it necessary to wear eye protection when shooting? If

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

File: safety glasses.jpg (10KB, 300x224px) Image search: [Google]
safety glasses.jpg
10KB, 300x224px
Why is it necessary to wear eye protection when shooting? If the gun has a catastrophic failure, which is extremely unlikely, you're going to blow your hands off anyway.
>>
safety glasses don't protect your hands

Reminder to sage
>>
>>34167421
Yeah, that's the point. If you're willing to take the tiny, tiny, tiny risk of losing your hands, why even bother with the glasses?
>>
>>34167398
Faulty extraction (damaged case,etc.) can lead to small particles of metal flying around at high speed...
>>
>>34167685
What about a revolver or bolt action, since that's about all I shoot most of the time?
>>
Why is it necessary to grant niggers like OP welfare? You're likely going to get culturally enriched anyway.
>>
>>34167398
Do you want to be just crippled? Or crippled AND blind?
>>
>>34167398
Eye protection is used more to protect against venting gases than small particles. While primarily an older gun issue, sometimes you end up with a case head rupture or pierced primer that causes hot gases to flow toward the shooters face. Glasses at least redirect that away from the most fragile part of the face.

This has happened to me. Dominion brass in a 71/84 Mauser.
>>
>>34167398
So you don't loose the gift of sight because of the many mishaps that can happen on range.

t. guy with one eye
>>
>>34167816
It's a risk I'm willing to take since it's a small risk.
>>
>>34167398

friend shot his Shield one time, spent casing shot out and hit him in the eye. that alone makes me wear glasses of some sort.
>>
>>34167478

Do you want to be crippled AND blind just because you don't like eye pro?
>>
>>34167398
t. guy who has clearly never been shooting. You start popping steel and you'll understand what eye pro are for. Spoiler: It's not for a catastrophic gun failure
>>
>gas spits into your face and eyes
>shooting prone, dirt and dust gets on your face and eyes
>yours or someone elses brass can possibly hit your in face
>catastrophic weapons malfunction

Also remember there's a difference between wearing walmart glasses and ballistic rated eyewear
>>
>>34167398
I've had gas, powder, and ricocheting birdshot pellets hit me in the face enough that I've decided I know better now and wear glasses every time I use a firearm.

If you're using firearms routinely you're eventually going to have some accident or catastrophic failure that you may have not been able to help, but that may cause a severe injury if you do not take proper safety precautions. This is why safety glasses are a must.
>>
>>34167398
Reminder that guns are engineered to catastrophically fail in a way that tends to cause the least amount of harm to the user.

Seriously, look at pictures of guns that went boom in the wrong way. Tends to be they explode upward. You know, where you face is.

Also what are ricochets?
>>
>>34167398
"Measured drawring!"
>>
>>34167398
I've had an air pistol pellet riccochet at hit me a quarter an inch to the left of my left eye. .25' difference and i'd be blind in that eye.
>>
>>34167398
i have had shit hit my face with enough force to make me wince when firing. i wouldn't want that in my eye.
>>
Question for you all. I wear corrective lenses. I have a set of eyepro that fits over them, but wearing it compromises the seal on my earmuffs. This results in a situation where I usually don't actually have said eyepro on when I shoot. What would you guys do in my situation?

Background: I typically only shoot .38 Special or .22 LR, although I also shoot .223 on occasion as well.
>>
>>34168098
In general I wear contacts. When I shoot, I make sure to wear contacts.

Chances are, your glasses are as good or better than any of the cheap shooting glasses at stopping any flying debris. The big difference is, getting a crack or scratch in your day to day glasses can suck. Might want to buy a bottom barrel pair for shooting and as backups.
>>
>>34168098
get something like this, that way it won't compromise your eye pro.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LiveMus-HearSafe-Ear-Plugs-Hypoallergenic/dp/B00O1QTI20

i used a similar pair for my live sound work and i use them around loud sounds, festivals/gigs/recordings i do. Can't give you any info on that specific set but they're similar to mine. During sound set ups i've been less than 10 feet away from a 4x12 guitar cab with a 100w tube head blasting high gain metal.

Different filter plugs can be used for different volume levels. All of them i can hear conversation level speech whilst wearing them and still gain the benefit of the reduced volume and damaging frequencies.

or of course, what >>34168138 said, contacts.
>>
>>34167398
done wear ppe.

i hope a lot of you fucks do this so this board will be come less infested with you faggots asking retarded questions.
>>
>>34167398
Probably somewhere close to 100k rounds under my belt. I've had a casing hit me in the goggles 3 times. I'm glad I was wearing them. I know other people with perforated eyeballs that leak a little vitreous fluid from years of not wearing goggles. They're not blind I guess.
>>
>>34167398
I wear eye protection everytime. never had them deflect anything but did have a sweet hot .50AE casing land and get stuck right behind the little piece that connects the 2 sides. sssssssssss, hurt kinda good though.
>>
>>34167398
>you're going to blow your hands off anyway.

There are many types of failure, a proportion of which won't signficantly damage your hands but will fuck up your extremely delicate eyeballs.
>>
Sage this
>>
>>34168269
>Implying I don't have eyeballs of steel.
>>
>>34167398
richochets and shit
>>
>>34167398
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_XNWeMqCT0
>>
Because my Glock 19 Gen4 was made with Glock Perfection as such they were worried about a potential ambusher behind me, not just the one in front.
Thus it flings brass violently reward almost directly from the gun, sometimes my face is in the way though as I am probably holding it wrong.
>>
>>34169148
I've taken buckshot splash back to my chest, and wasn't doing anything retarded to make it happen

why would you NOT use ballistic eye protection???
>>
>>34167398
>If the gun has a catastrophic failure, which is extremely unlikely, you're going to blow your hands off anyway.
Actually, it's almost unheard of for pistols or rifles to explode like grenades, goggles can absolutely save your eyes from an out of battery detonation or burst breach.
>>
>>34167398
>If the gun has a catastrophic failure, which is extremely unlikely, you're going to blow your hands off anyway.
I guess you didn't see the big thing about Ian getting hurt a couple weeks ago. He'll be fine, but the point is that a gun accident won't necessarily just blow your hands off. You never know what will happen, honestly; a chunk of anything could fly anywhere at any speed. Better to be prepared for anything.
>>
P.S. Ever noticed how insanely popular it was with soldiers serving in Iraq and Afghanistan to wear those wraparound Oakley sunglasses that look a lot like the eye protection you'd wear at a range? There's a reason for that.
>>
>>34169452
>anything could fly anywhere at any speed
ragequitting /k/ now
>>34169479
yeah, we had a poster of that in my unit, dude's face totally fucked up but wasn't gonna go blind from the outline of shades protecting his eyes

anyway, now faggots are going to sarcastically thank me for serving then tell me im being autistic when i say all of you can eat shit. buh bye
>>
>>34167899
Do you carry?
Because getting into a situation where you need to draw is also pretty fucking small unless you purposefully walk into a ghetto at night and scream "nigger!" continuously.
>>
>>34167992
There are still people who refuse to put on a helmet when they ride a bike or buckle up when they go for a drive.
>>
>>34167700
Someone shooting next to me had unburnt powder flying from his cylinder gap.
A granule embedded itself into my skin 2-3mm deep right above my safety glasses. still have the scar.
>>
>>34169561
Woah dude, must've been scary. What's it look like?
>>
>>34167398
Most guns tend to "explode" in a surprisingly safe fashion. This is very rare occurrence in first place. OOB detonation or simple back spray of combustion byproduct is much more common and is real reason for eye protection.
>>
File: 223.jpg (10KB, 352x317px) Image search: [Google]
223.jpg
10KB, 352x317px
>>
>>34167926
I know a guy who got hit in the eye with his own ejaculate, but I don't wear safety glasses to beat off.

>>34167982
I shoot paper and meat, not steel.

>>34167988
>gas spits into your face and eyes
What kind of poorly made gun are you shooting?

>>34168037
LOL. I'm glad someone got the reference.

>>34169542
I carry only when I'm in a bad neighbors looking for prostitutes. When possible, I have an armed bodyguard protect me when I'm screwing them.
>>
>>34169886
>I know a guy who got hit in the eye with his own ejaculate, but I don't wear safety glasses to beat off.
semen won't blind you
>>
>>34167478
Damaging a hand/finger is waaaay less than losing an eye. That said, I don't wear eyepro cause I shoot long range.
>>
>>34171512
The toxic semen of his prostitutes might cause aids though
>>
One time I wore eye protection over my regular glasses a hot .22 got wedged in between the arms and left me with a scar.
>>
>>34168098
look for prescription safety glasses. Bring you muffs in to ensure they'll seal over the arms.
Also some anon recommended gel ear pads for sealing on glasses but I haven't found any for my Howard Leights. I might have to shell out on some better earpro for the gel
>>
My father once got a casing extracted right into his eye at a military excercise. Almost lost it.
>>
30 seconds on google turn up images of people with facial injuries from guns kabooming. with a long arm a catastrophic failure could easily impact your face due to how close it is to the action when firing.

Is it likely? No, as long as you are doing stupid shit. But it is definitely in the realm of possibilities.
>>
I don't wear eye protection when shooting because that's vagina shit. Nothing's gonna fly into your eyeballs from shooting.

I do use eye protection when I use the angle grinder, mainly because I experienced a situation with a wire wheel where some steel wires got snagged and ripped out of the wheel and literally embedded themselves in my brow.

Also I don't use a push stick on the table saw unless my hands get closer than 1 inch to the blade.

Guys, trust me. Use eye protection when you use an angle grinder.
>>
I don't wear it when shooting good ammo, but I always wear it when shooting bad ammo, since it only takes one stray spark to cause permanent damage
>>
I don't wear eye protection because I already wear glasses and finding protection that fits over them is a pain.

I find wearing hats helpful with semi-autos because spent casings occasionally eject upward and hit me on my head. Not a problem with my Makarov though.
>>
File: 20161105_152133.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161105_152133.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>34167398
>shooting my m/96 Swedish Maurer
>fucking double charge in factory Herter's ammo
>primer basically blows out
>blast of gas venting out of the action burns my cheek and singes off some of my stubble
>action holds up just fine because of godly Swedish metallurgy

I had eye protection so I walked away with nothing but minor burns, but had I not, my right eye would've pulled a Big Boss and I'd be rocking an eye patch now. Just wear your goddamn shooting glasses.
>>
Ausfag here. We have a common beginners rifle made by lithgow small arms, a .22 model 1b. It's a single shot rifle, most are going on 90 years old. Anyway I have heard of the breach rupturing upon firing, sending the rear end into people's eye sockets, and personally know one person it has happened to. sure safety glasses would not protect from high velocity chunks of gun, but I'd still rather have them on in case.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.