[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Revolver advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: picrelated.jpg (2MB, 4096x3072px) Image search: [Google]
picrelated.jpg
2MB, 4096x3072px
Sup /k/

I've lurked here occasionally for a while, need some advice. Father gifted me my first gun tonight, and I've always planned on being a responsible gun owner at some point. I figure now's a good time to get started.

Is there anything I should know about this revolver? Any tips or recommendations? He gifted a cleaning kit, holster, and a fabric zipper case for storage. The revolver itself came with a trigger lock and key as well.
>>
Buy some ammo
Find a place to shoot
>>
>>34164481
I can shoot on my property, was just wondering if there was anything specific I should know or not
>>
>>34164478
Oh man, that is going to be my next purchase, a little fun 22lr/mag plinker. Super cheap price for the revolver too.
It's a rimfire so don't dry fire it without either snap caps or some drywall #4 anchors for 22lr.
>>
>>34164478

As long as you read the manual for operational tips, you should be completely fine. Just got mine about a month ago, shoots great, you should have a lot of fun!
>>
>>34164478
Don't dry fire it with the safety off. Better yet, don't dry fire it.

Otherwise, give it a quick cleaning once in a while, maybe tighten up the extractor tube screw every now and then and it'll treat you well. They're great little guns, you'll definitely enjoy it. Be sure to thank your dad.
>>
>>34164478
>Is there anything I should know about this revolver?
dont dry fire it unless the safetys on
dont fan it frequently unless you want to wreck it
>>
Thank your dad.
Buy ammo.
GO SHOOTING WITH YOUR DAD. You have a limited amount of time with your old man. Spend what you can with him.
>>
>>34164584
>>34164822
>>34164830
What exactly do dry-fire and fan mean?

>>34164633
>>34164833
Testing it out with him tomorrow afternoon! It was a coming-of-age kind of gift, so I'm definitely happy to be at that stage.
>>
Load all but one and keep the hammer on that empty chamber. Not really required but a nice thing to do.
Enjoy your heirloom with your dad!
>>
>>34164847
Is this an artificial kind of safety mechanic?
>>
>>34164841
dry firing is pulling the trigger on an empty gun
in this case it would be cocking the hammer then pulling it.
fanning is a singleaction revolver specific term popularized by cowboy movies. essentially you hold down the trigger and cock the hammer repeatedly. the hammer drops the second you release it and the gun fires. resulting in a very fast rate of fire. its pretty harsh on guns. your gun is well "cheap" if you fan it frequently something is going to break.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMZEkZQQ6hk
>>34164847
dont do this this is stupid
especially on a revolver with an actual safety
>>
>>34164847
Bad idea with this being a rimfire. That's why this model has a safety
>>34164841
Dry fire means pulling the trigger and letting the hammer fall on an empty chamber. The rough riders safety prevents the hammer from falling, so its OK to carry all cylinders full (and dry fire, but I still wouldn't without snap caps)
>>
>>34164841
Dry firing is when you are firing the firearm with no ammo in the firearm. Some people like to play around with their firearm with snap caps (plastic or metal fake ammo that fits the caliber of the firearm) to get a better feel of trigger pulls.
Your Heritage has a safety lever that that will block the hammer from hitting the cylinder so it won't ruin your cylinder and hammer, so always have the safety enabled before dry firing or don't dry fire at all (generally this is the best course of action on rim fire firearms).
>>
>>34164525
With a revolver me mindful of the gap between the cylinder and barrel, any digits you have in front of that gap when it's fired could be injured.
>>
>>34164863
If you are allowed to carry your new revolver, a lot of people do this to have an extra bit of safety
Then again I didn't read that it already has a safety so you could also not do it and use the safety. Any way is fine, as long as you use your weapon safely and responsibly.
>>
>>34164887
its a 22 he will be fine. his fingers will get dirty and he will learn not to hold it that way again but it wont permanently harm you.
o yeah dont do that cylinder spin shown in the video if you care about the gun.
>>
>>34164891
>>34164871
The safety is notoriously janky, and I've personally had one work its way out within 40 shots. Do not fully load one of these, do not trust the safety. Many owners remove it and carry it with -1 round safely, as long as your holster has a hammer thong it's not going to get knocked around badly enough to jostle it, let alone pull it back far enough to cause damage when it snaps down.
>>
>>34164478
Check their website for all the grips they have for it. Those are fine, and all, but you can get some pretty wicked ones.
>>
File: Uberti-8.jpg (227KB, 1200x512px) Image search: [Google]
Uberti-8.jpg
227KB, 1200x512px
>>34164863
its a rule from cowboy action shooting to promote safety and prevent accidents. it makes sense in that context considering they are using originals or exact replicas of a period design where the firing pin is built into the hammer. the hammer would rest directly on the primer when uncocked. a solid hit or drop could set the revolver off.
with your gun and its modern features its a non issue
>>
>>34164914
Another reason why I keep one chamber empty is because it leaves me with 5 shots, which is easier when using boxes of 50 or 100 rounds. I'm OCD like that.

Also if you carry with a full cylinder as the tactical guys will probably recommend you could always ask them if .22 is enough for taking out Tyrone, which will probably shut them up lel
>>
>>34164928
Same when im shooting my SAA 357 repro

it really triggers my OCD if I load 6 one time and the whole ammo box is thrown off because its in rows of 5
>>
Remember, four clicks and it's ready to fire. Two clicks and it rotates freely enough top replace the cylinder.

Actualy take it apart in two years to clean it.

If something breaks send away for the part. It's easy to fix...
>>
>>34164914
Notoriously janky? Literally the first time I have EVER heard that. I've heard that its ugly and ruins the SAA vibe, but never that it's "janky." I've put well over 1000 rounds through mine and haven't had a single issue.

OP, if you feel like you have to listen to the 5 round crowd, I suggest either keeping a snap cap in the 6th chamber or always leaving the same one empty, cause you're probably going to end up pull the trigger there and damaging the cylinder.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.