[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hollywood's Military

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 8

Do real combat veterans cringe at Hollywood's depiction of war, or just the media's depiction of war in general like in video games n such? What do the veteren on here think?

Do you like the glory of it all and the fact that everyone thinks you're a badass?

Do you think civvies over glorify it?

Do you think it's disrespectful and doesn't take your experiences seriously?

Discuss.
>>
>>34164258
Makes us look way cooler than we actullay are. No skyscrapers collaspsed near me nor did I have to throw a knife into my commanders eye.
>>
File: abbytim.jpg (30KB, 355x296px) Image search: [Google]
abbytim.jpg
30KB, 355x296px
>>34164258
I can only imagine it feels like when they're portraying hackers to anyone that's computer literate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msX4oAXpvUE
>>
>>34164258
I only cringe when random civilians think Hollywood nonsense is actually accurate. I remember when 'The Hurt Locker' was being praised by film critics everywhere for being so gritty and realistic (because film critics can spot realism in war movies, amirite?) and at first I would try to give accurate answers when people would ask about it to me, but eventually I just gave up. Too exhausting to correct people, especially when they start to argue about it.

I enjoy flicks that actually go for some kind of accuracy and appreciate the effort, but if a movie or vidya is having a good fun time I roll with it. I'm not going to sperg out at inaccuracies if somebody puts 'The Rock' on TV. I remember playing Call of Duty:MW3 when deployed and everybody loved it in all it's retardation.

>Do you think civvies over glorify it?
I dunno. I know they have such a wrong idea of the military driven by memes and media that correcting them most of the time is more trouble than its worth.

>Do you think it's disrespectful and doesn't take your experiences seriously?

Media can do what it wants, it tends to get the details of everything wrong in every job in service to moving the story along.
>>
>>34164258

My perspective is probably skewed since I was technically not a combat role, but did encounter combat incidentally.

1) Movie firefights are way too fast. I'm sure Mogadishu and Fallujah were just like that, whatver, but my experience from two actual 'engagements' is that they're very deliberate affairs. Yeah, you have to move fast from point to point to not get shot, but then one element sits and takes potshots while the other maneuvers, then vice versa. The combat types have the doctrine DOWN, too. Was Navy doing IA with Army signal folks, and we were all shitting ourselves the first time while our security element was literally fucking bored and making jokes behind the berm. Everything was a lot less hectic than I expected going in. Scary, yes, but in an organized way. Like, "If there's a sniper pinning us down, here's a 1,2,3 of EXACTLY what to do."

2) Unless you're the DM or SAW (and even then), actually hitting anything is a crapshoot. You're more shooting at the enemy's general area than at the bad guy himself. The optic on the rifle is way more useful as a spotting tool than it is for helping you nail some guy past like 200m. There is NO aiming, essentially, unless you've gotten reaaaal good at point shooting. If you're under fire, it's pop-out-and-fire-while-your-buddies-move, then sit and wait for them to do it to you. Once you've got established positions, you can gradually start aiming more as suppressing fire takes effect, but even then good fucking luck.

3) Airstrikes are exactly as overwhelming as you'd think they are. This comes from a different perspective (me being intel watching strikes happen and sitting in on interrogations with captured insurgents). Yes, apparently, people really have shit their pants hearing heli rotors coming in. but usually they don't hear it at all.

4) The bad guys think you're the bad guys. You always hear "I'm fighting for my buddies." Well so are they. They don't hate America. They hate you.
>>
>>34164258
I don't cringe.
However it pulls me back from the movie, and for a couple minutes all I can thing about is that Lieutenant having the wronk rank insigna on his uniform or something similar and I can't enjoy the movie in the meantime.

I do enjoy hollywoods pyrotechnics as brainless entertainment, tho.
>>
>>34164300
Hollywoods depictions of anything is almost always rage inducing. As a physician I don't think I've ever seen medicine portrayed accurately in film.
>>
>>34164276
>spotted the POG
>>
Basic want anything like full metal jacket, my DI was real fucking boring.
>>
>>34164258
personally I hate the way they portray PTSD flashbacks
>vet starts freaking out
>strobe light starts
>slide show starts
>screaming women and children
>vet starts seizing like an epileptic holding a live wire
the truth is, a flash back is just a home movie in your head and you can be at work doing your job and keep doing it while the movie plays out in your head
t. 11B OIFI OIFII
>>
>>34164377
Lord almighty I wanted to go IA
>>
>>34164305
I thought Hurt Locker was fairly realistic. My english teacher was a soldier and he thought it was realistic as well.
>>
>>34164258
that's one of the reasons they joined in the first place breh, hollyjew romantizising the military is a legit recruitment asset
>>
>>34166124
It wasn't. I assure you.

>My english teacher

Kid.
>>
>>34166132
I was in 12th grade when it came out and 18 years old. Now I'm 24. I assure you, The Hurt Locker was faithful. You probably think it isn't just because Hawkeye was a loose cannon and didn't fit your perception of how soldiers are. There are different types of soldiers. Some are there because it's a job. Some are there for duty. Some are there for thrills.
>>
>>34166124

>EOD clearing buildings while the grunts sit outside.
>EOD engaging in sniper duels when they've only used a .50 for detonating explosives.
>Soldier sneaks off base completely by himself to check on his little Iraqi buddy.
>Wearing ACUs before they were issued.
>Rolling along through the streets of Baghdad in a solo HMMWV after the insurgency was in full swing.
>Pulling on a bundle of wires and ripping a bunch of 155 rounds out of the ground.
>Getting drunk on base and getting in a fight. No one seems to care.

That's not even half of it and you call it fairly realistic?
>>
>>34165594
30 minutes into an hour long show?
Time for a lumbar puncture!
>>
>>34166174
Those were all plausible things. They were soldiers, EOD or no, they would have had training in room clearing and sniper rifle usage. Hawkeye being a cowboy was not normal behaviour, but we all know someone like that. They were driving through streets that were relatively safe. Getting drunk on base and having a fight? That's just being real Americans.
>>
>>34164258

> soldiers usually portrayed as completely incompetent and ineffective to highlight abilities of main protagonist
> kit setup from a /k/ airsoft meet
> people walking infront of tanks
> random guards outside of tents and doors
> clusterfuck formations running around in the open
> goggles on every helmet
> friendly and enemy positions never realistically fortified
> room clearing tactics from ugandan volunteer police force

really grinds my gears
>>
>>34166206
>EOD was trained on sniper rifle

Different anon. Dude, stop. You're digging a hole you can't climb out of. I've never even seen the movie because I've had like 5 different vets tell me it's just going to piss me off. I trust that opinion more than a 12th grade and his English teacher.
>>
>>34166161
I started typing out all the inaccuracies and logical mistakes, but I'll I kinda started over and I'll say this: I was Army EOD at the time the movie was set. I have actually deployed to do the exact kinds of mission in the movie and had a career alongside many other guys and about their time. I knew the guys who were ((((interviewed)))) by the film's production and how what they said got twisted the fuck around for the film.

The idea that EOD doesn't report to anybody up their chain is bizarro world. The idea that they were the only team on a gigantic FOB in the middle of Iraq is a total farce.

Getting cleared to roll around in a single vehicle for response didn't happen even back then, and the idea that it was normal practice (the movie did not frame it at all as unusual).

Anything involving actually dealing with IEDs was completely fucking wrong. Not like I usually sperg over disarming techniques in a movie- but it was not realistic or even close in any sense.

Do I even need to talk about the putting on a hoodie and running around the city solo with a pistol scene?
>>
>>34166235
I'm pretty sure
>>34166206
>>34166161
Is just trolling at this point.

>>34165594
I forget what it's called, but Sebastian Junger refers to it in something I read by him, but it's when you watch a news story or read an article about something you're intimately familiar with. You see how inaccurate it is and how they over simplify some things and neglect to mention others all together. You see how wrong they are and then continue watching and take them at their word when it moves on to the next topic.
>>
>>34166235
We get trained on M107s and have them in inventory, but they usually didn't get carried in Humvees. In bigger MRAPs we carried them because we had room to spare.

We get training on them because they are useful for niche disarming techniques. That said, everything about how that team rolled outside the wire on it's own and seemingly aimlessly was absurd. Teams don't just drive around- you leave the wire with a purpose and a 3 vehicle convoy minimum (IIRC before 2003 it was 2 vics), you do your work and you come back.
>>
>>34166255
Gell-Mann amnesia. It's "Oh the news paper is completely wrong about this thing I know about, but the other articles are probably right."
>>
>>34166237
>Do I even need to talk about the putting on a hoodie and running around the city solo with a pistol scene?

That was completely fine. As I said, he was that kind of person who would sneak off base.
>>
>>34164305
my favorite meme is the lone wolf meme.
>one person taking on several
>running out in the open and shooting everything with precision accuracy
>dual wielding, unlimited ammo, convenient reloading opportunities, taking bullets and going days without treatment, walls stopping bullets, 5.56 not shredding a car to pieces, explosions always fireballs, etc
I think the general population is hilarious if they believe any of this. It's just common sense.
>>
Battle Los Angeles was somewhat accurate. Michelle Rodriguez would have been dead before the Marines ran in to the Guard guys though. AF is completely useless in ground combat situations.
>>
>>34166235
Well I doubt the fucking hajis had advancement marksmanship courses to go along with their SVDs as well, but they still use them okay. It's the same principle. Some hajis thought they could use their SVDs to outrange the americans and they pulled out a barret and shot back.
>>
>>34166314
Like I said, it doesn't bug me. I'm not going to watch a stupid action film and go in trying to be a spoil sport about it. That kind of crazy shit is so stylized I assume people realize it's pure fiction until it's brought up otherwise.
>>
>>34166161
My buddy was EOD in 05 iraq, and he had this to say about the end:

"Basically the last thing you want to do is run away like that. the suits are paddad in the back to absorb the shock of you getting knocked around, not really deal with shrapnel or anything like that. what you'd want to do is do this *assumes a kind of partial crouch sumo position* put your tray tables in the upright position, and get ready for a bad ride."

He still enjoyed it, but didnt take it seriously at all because he thought the techniques were dumb. He grew up on a diet of 80s action movies, so he doesnt expect realism anyway, so he puts it as "realistic" as the raid scene in Predator.
>>
>>34166286
>Gell-Mann amnesia
Thank you
>>
>>34166305

And you understood as soon as he came back he would be in the brig right? Do you think there was no upper leadership on that base? Colonels don't let their soldiers run off into town without consequences.
>>
>>34166316
Battle LA had all the Marines acting *too* formal and by the book. It felt like military fan fiction written by a JROTC kid in high school who thinks know drill and ceremony is the pinnacle of military skill.

Movies have a very tough time balancing regulations, command structure, and mission focus against the variables of humans and personalities. They either make the soldiers robots or Rambos.
>>
>>34166347
I'm sure he got some kind of slap on the wrist. The movie has several time skips.
>>
>>34166354
Don't forget how everyone's rifle would make "chik-chik" noises every time they raised them in suspenseful situations.
>>
>>34166316
I thought Battle of LA was shit. They call their ssgt sir a couple times, random woman attached to or part of the platoon. Plus as a joke they pretend like they don't know of John Wayne. Every Marine ever knows John Wayne because if you don't wear your chin strap you're going to hear "put your chin strap on your not John Wayne".

The part of the film where Marines are getting on the choppers was filmed live at Camp Pendleton. The Marines you see getting on are from my unit. I missed it but apparently Aaron Eckhart was walking around base signing autographs and was pretty bro tier
>>
A video game/Movie about a modern battle would be boring as shit.

>Move up to wall
>Wait for 3 hours
>Shoot at dot on the horizon
>Repeat
>>
>>34166374
He also signed the back of an LAV I ended up using during a training exercise.
>>
>>34166341
The fronts of the suits have more armor on them. Distance is still important because if you're too close your guts get explode from pressure. The ideal goal is to move backwards as much as possible while keeping your face to the IED.

Plus there are all kinds of tricks to keep from having to get too close to an exposed IED in the first place. People did the job for decades with ropes and long sticks. Walking down in a bomb suit is the last resort and only used in situations like booby traps and enclosed spaces, and then usually to hook up some ropes to pull the whole thing into the open.

Walking straight up to a known 155 IED in a bomb suit is...I won't say it doesn't happen, but 99% of guys would have gone a different way with it in the opening of the movie.
>>
>>34166390
I've seen a rekt webm of some guy in a bomb suit getting blown the fuck up. I should have saved it.
>>
>>34166407
In a crowd of random civilian people like ten feet away? Malaysia or Philippines or some shit like that I think.

I of course always speak from the perspective of how the US does things, not those guys.
>>
>>34166377
sounds like Arma except the soldiers in Arma aren't that professional

they would rather drive a gokart down an IED ridden trail shooting at them
>>
>>34166377
>Doesn't realize thats why i play ArmAII/3
>>
>>34166316
>EFF OH BEE
>>
>>34166174

>Soldier sneaks off base completely by himself

When you do that, it's usually because you're going to a whorehouse.
>>
>>34166443
Nah, Arma is more
>spend an hour maneuvering around objective and sneaking into concealment
>enemy AI spot you anyway and instantly shoot you in the head from 1km away
>>
>>34167570
(You)
>>
How accurate or realisitc did anyone think Blawk Hawk Down was? I know some scenes were bullshit like when that guy fell out the blackhawk after a rpg was fired at the aircraft. That never happened.
>>
>>34167675
That grenade throw through the window was unrealistic. The distance/accuracy to which it was thrown makes it near a 1/200 or greater shot.
>>
>>34167775
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU
>>
>>34167703
The part where the little birds they were doing gun runs at night and where Evermans had to mark the targets on a roof for the little birds with a strobe was bullshit. Pretty sure the rangers would have a strobe on them and little birds would shoot anything without the strobe.
>>
>>34167703

I don't get why they didn't just grab Ruiz's M203 and fire it into the building.
>>
>>34168106

That's actually what they did. The Rangers marked their own positions with IR or chemlights and the Little Birds were ordered to attack anything approaching them.

Tim Wilkinson actually did dash between buildings like Evermann did in the movie, but it was to get medical supplies for the wounded.
>>
>>34167675
Blackburn? I thought it did happen, but he just missed the rope and dropped 70 feet.
>>
>>34166317
Hey retard, a lot of those "haji"snipers have military training.
>>
>>34168350
According to the book written by Mark Bowden and rangers on the mission, i think they said Blackburn didn't fell out of the blackhawk because a rpg was fired at the blackhawk and they were still unsure why Blackburn fell down while fastroping. Also did you think they overdid the scene where Shugart and Gordon were defending Mike Durant? I knew they actually a good amount of enemy combatants and got over run by those niggers.
>>
>>34165594
Paramedic here. Fury road if all fucking movies actually did a good job. But then again the director was an er doc
>>
>>34168880
*killed a good amount*
>>
>>34166095
What's the IA?
>>
>>34164258
What does everyone here think of The Lone Survivor? I liked it, it seemed fairly accurate aside from the super macho falling down 200 cliffs and getting shot 20 times yet still sprinting through the forest aspect. Other than that, pretty good.
>>
File: i can walk.png (243KB, 1015x466px) Image search: [Google]
i can walk.png
243KB, 1015x466px
>>34165594

>is a physician (job to help stop people from dying)
>browses a weapons board where all we ever talk about is the best way to kill people
>>
>>34167675
i heard some guys say they liked the technical/bureaucratic display of the military since it portrays it well if not better than other films.
>>
>>34168880
Yeah the book just seemed to imply that Blackburn missed the rope completely.

As for the other scene, I think it captured it just fine. They were facing a large crowd IRL but honestly they didn't spend too much time on the whole thing.
>>
>>34168978

Luntrell is embellishing at the very minimum.

More likely outright lying about a lot of details like Chris Kyle.
>>
>>34166377
>A video game/Movie about a modern battle would be boring as shit.

From when the Onion wasn't utter shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuTkgi7scKo
>>
hollywood always make cops/army fucking retarded because it makes the bad guys look more dangerous

like seriously, i walked out at the cinema during the attack scene of the white house in olympus has fallen. It was literally the worst bullshit ive ever seen

i think the best example of reality is Generation kill. The combat is meh but the overall feel and atmosphere comes really close. Tbh i was baffled at how accurate it is
>>
>>34167775
Thats an amp

What?

Maybe they just neede a prop lol
>>
>>34169526
Sometimes the hurting is more fun than the healing.
>>
>>34168978
Apparently the alqueda had videos of thw whole even the seals never fired a single round they all got shot and died

Also there were only 10 guys and when they found latrel he had all his magazines and they were full

The whole story is fake it makes them look good i guess
>>
>>34170782
Woild be nice to play a base management sim game one day i gon make it and sell it on andriod and apple
>>
>>34166341
What was wrong with the raid scene in predetor
>>
>>34164377
>Unless you're the DM or SAW (and even then), actually hitting anything is a crapshoot. You're more shooting at the enemy's general area than at the bad guy himself.

This is something very little media gets right. It's not as exciting to see people missing 95% of their shots and squads having to expend hundreds of rounds per kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV1qDpyyAMo sorta got it right, a little bit, but mostly because it's an ex-paratrooper shooting niggers and chavs.
>>
>>34171321
i'd love to see the ratings on an actually realistic combat scene

>get shot at like twice
>everyone drops to the ground and gets into cover
>a few guys point out the rough location that the enemy is at
>DM just pops rounds off in the general-ish-area-kinda-maybe-potentially-ish-er of the enemy and silently mopes about because he's never actually seen anyone he's shot before
>SAW sits there and puts 3-4 round bursts on the general area of the enemy
>everyone else sits there, occasionally puts rounds in the general 300 meters of the enemy, and waits
>5 minutes later maybe some mortars or artillery rounds land
>failing that, 30 minutes later a bomb gets dropped and everyone gets to enjoy their 0.2 seconds of glory
>everyone goes back to base and waits for their mandatory "don't rape women" training
>>
File: 1480468012978.jpg (30KB, 592x592px) Image search: [Google]
1480468012978.jpg
30KB, 592x592px
>>34171497
>everyone goes back to base and waits for their mandatory "don't rape women" training
>>
>>34171321
Does the average grunt suck at shooting or something? Even with an ACOG?
>>
>>34171811
90% of the time you can't even see the enemy.
>>
>>34171811
Nope. Life and death hide and seek means the guy ambushing you will take great care to hide himself, and if you are getting ambushed that means you didn't see him, which makes it harder to see him when you are getting shot at.
>>
File: 1494390603519.jpg (225KB, 1000x1030px) Image search: [Google]
1494390603519.jpg
225KB, 1000x1030px
>>34164258
no, its a movie. Its there to entertain the masses for 2-3 hours. Thats like complaining about a roller collar modeled after a fighter jet isnt like the real thing either. I didnt sign up so I could be a movie star, I signed up because I wanted to. Im an LEO now and I dont care when tv or movies get cop stuff wrong, they have their jobs and I got mine. A movie based on the reality of those jobs would be ass numbingly boring 80% of the way through, followed by 10% of humorous insanity so raunchiness you probably could air it and another 10% would be chaotic warfare. If you want reality then watch a documentary
>>
File: it only gets worse.jpg (41KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
it only gets worse.jpg
41KB, 550x512px
>>34166038
this, you just go catatonic for a while in a daydream like state. The most ive ever done is refer to somebody as a solider I new when I was like that
>wait..what?My name isnt danny anon, why did you call me that?
no reason....just tired is all
>>
>>34166161
The Hurt Locker came out in 2008.

If you were 18 at any point in 2008, you'd be at the very youngest, 26 right now.

/autism
>>
>>34171811
Fire and maneuver. Soldiers don't just sit and take only deliberate, aimed shots. Rate of fire would just be way too slow- and if the enemy was quickly throwing out suppression, they'd be fucked.

It's not so much missing shots, as people laying down a wall of fire for suppression. Usually once people start getting shot at, they take cover- the goal is to keep shooting at and around that cover to keep them cowering inside of it. You shoot even when the enemy is still behind the cover.

Fire superiority means you have the mobility advantage. Which means you can move elements around. The eventual goal is to either be shooting at the enemy from two different angles with two groups of soldiers where the enemy can't take cover from both at the same time, or to suppress with the static element and have the second group advance across the enemy killing as they go.

That's the waaaaaaay basics, but the point is that suppression- shooting lots and lots of bullets is deliberate and has been since like, having self loading weapons.

Quality suppression requires skill to ensure not everybody is reloading at the same time ("talking machineguns") and keeping fire effectly zeroed into the enemy cover (optics way help). The enemy doesn't usually just expose themselves, so you have to force them to either cower or make a desperate attempt to move in air filled with bullets.
>>
File: 008.jpg (34KB, 750x711px) Image search: [Google]
008.jpg
34KB, 750x711px
>>34171890
>mfw i've apparently had flashbacks before and i wasn't even in the army
>>
>>34171849
>>34171856
Don't know about you fellows, but you can't always make that generalization. Depends more on your AO and how you were operating. I worked in mildly more urban areas of Afghanistan and even there, the engagement distances were much closer and more times than not we were seeing the enemy during firefights and often closing distance to 0.

The thing about "modern war" is it's not just one kind of thing. You can talk to ten different guys from ten different operational areas and get ten totally different impressions of how fights go down.
>>
>>34171962
What about SF? Do they aim better?
>>
>>34172050
You think he has the answers?
>>
>>34172050
It's not about "aiming better" it's about shooting the rock the enemy is behind so that he stays behind it. Then taking some of your guys and moving them around the rock and shooting the enemy on the exposed side.

Operators who are not doing short term direct action with cordon support tend to pack a fuckload of "force multipliers" like grenade launchers and tons of machinegun ammo to allow them to lay down an even higher volume of fire than normal troops.

Look up modified special operations vehicles, they tend to carry more weapons than line counterparts to allow more fire.

Special Operations doing direct action also tend to have a large cordon of conventional forces, quick response on standby (conventional or SOF guys) and air support. They make up for lack of numbers initially if they get in a jam by being able to call in a huge volume of fire.
>>
>>34165594
>As a physician I don't think I've ever seen medicine portrayed accurately in film.
Deadliest Warrior.

Consisted solely of looking at brutalized, torn-apart gel torsos and acknowledging that they're probably dead.
>>
>>34168905
Iowa

Not sure why anyone would want to go there.
>>
>>34166227
>room clearing tactics from ugandan volunteer police force
Light it on fire and shoot anyone who flees?
>>
>>34166227
> random guards outside of tents and doors
It makes me laff everytime I see these guards in a modern setting and they are MPs who are wearing ancient helmets.
>>
>>34172195
That's the Egyptian Special Forces technique, actually.
>>
>>34168978
>only about 10 taliban
>there were no goat herders that discovered them
>they didn't debate anything
>they were being shot at as soon as they were spotted from the village
>they actually did fall down cliffs
>they actually did get shot quite a few times
>the final battle in the village never happened
>>
>>34172270
so is this a story of incompetence or just shitty luck?
>>
>>34171160
Lacked Reb Brown.
>>
>>34172303
They inserted absurdly close to the target village for what was supposed to be stealthy recon, much closer than the previous units which were successful inserted-that is a verifiable fact.. The whole plan sucked.
>>
>>34172258
I thought they went with "Apply grenade(s), claim he was resisting."
>>
>>34172370
>Although the operation was planned more carefully this time, the TF 777 operators committed several mistakes that would eventually prove fatal to many of the hostages. As explosives were detonated to attempt to blow a hole on the top of the airframe, the explosion ripped through the cabin area, immediately killing 20 passengers. Using the same hole, the operators gained entry to the plane but in the confusion opened fire indiscriminately and killed and injured more passengers. In the ensuing chaos, passengers that managed to flee the plane were then gunned down by snipers in positions around the airport who mistook them for terrorists attempting to escape. The total number of passengers killed was 57, out of 88 total.

Reading this never gets old.
>>
>>34166347
This all assumes that he would even make it back on base. Odds are the next anybody would see of him would be in a video on Liveleak of his head getting sawed off with a rusty hacksaw.
>>
>>34164258
>be military
>too tired and jaded to give a fuck about what idiot civilians think of jew propaganda
>>
>>34168905

Individual Augmentation.

Basically taking highly-skilled or uniquely-qualified people from one service and throwing them into another unit for cross-training or promotional purposes.

For the Navy (at least my unit), it was an incentive to be up to par. If you had your EIDWS, were up to snuff on PFAs, and were passing your DLPTs, you were qualified to go do the cool shit for a few months.
>>
>>34172329

That's SEAL shit in general, though.

Either

>professional as shit get it right like no one else could

or

>get absurdly over confident and try to do shit the easy way and get raped

It's like they alternate between the two for every story you hear like some retarded cycle.
>>
>>34172080
There's no rule saying other anons can't answer smart ass.
>>
>>34168880
if i'm remeberring the wiki article correctly i thinkm it said that they killed 20 and wounded 10 so bad thet they died later.
>>
>>34173084
sorry about the post im drunk as fuck
>>
>>34172385
Lol what?
In 1978, Egyptian Army Special Forces were dispatched to Larnaca International Airport, Larnaca, Cyprus in response to the hijacking of a Cyprus Air passenger aircraft by operatives of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP). The operation was organized hastily, and Egyptian authorities failed to notify Cyprus of the arrival of the unit. As the Egyptian commandos approached the plane on the tarmac, they were mistaken by the Cyprus security forces as terrorist reinforcements. Cypriot security forces opened fire on the approaching Egyptian SF members, who were without nearby cover and conspicuous in desert camouflage clothing. The firefight cost the lives of 15 members of the 79 members of the Egyptian commando force sent, however there were no reported Cypriot fatalities.[1] The aftermath of the failed night-time incident and the need of a professional counter-terrorism unit in Egypt resulted in the creation of Unit 777
>>
>>34166124
Yeah, EOD out alone? Personally I don't know any EOD rocking an M107..

>>34166174 this anon knows what's good
>>
>>34172478
I too once acronymed my acronym out at acronym lane
>>
>>34172270
>10 Taliban.
Try 30-50
>shot at when they landed
No.
>>
>>34171497
Yeah, that's modern mudslime fighting tactics. In WW2 it was a lot more intense and a lot closer.

>tfw WW2 was the Hollywood of wars
>>
>>34173120
>So we're going to send you guys in overseas
>But we're not going to tell them you're coming
Ahmed, hold my beer.
>>
>>34167932
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ
>>
>>34165609
>watched full metal jacket a million times to get ready for boot
>it's nothing like boot
>expectations set so fucking high that boot camp becomes a literal joke

I actually give people this advice if they're enlisting.
>>
>>34174325

Tell us more Marineanon
>>
>>34164258
>Do real combat veterans cringe at Hollywood's depiction of war

No, because I don't bother to watch the shit.
>>
>>34171160

The soldiers were shot, but they didn't bleed because they didn't "have time to bleed". The CIA also had the soldiers pushing too many pencils.
>>
>>34164258
Jarhead is probably as accurate as a hollywood film gets in terms of just how dang boring and retarded the whole affair is.
>>
>>34171811
You get jacked up on adrenaline and dip and become nothing more than a crouching man firing in the direction everyone else is.
>>
>>34174394
Stick around.

The scene did exactly what it was meant to, establish our main characters as competent badasses so that killing them off one-sidedly actually meant something.
>>
>>34165594
As a Laywer, Astronaught and Playboy Billionaire Secret Agent, I concur.
>>
Real vets can't afford the price of a movie ticket
>>
>>34165594
Could be worse.
>Be public health specialist
>Watch some shitty zombie movies with family
>Scene shows hot scientist chick working with a man who is a carrier for the zombie virus.
>No gas mask.
>No hazmat suit
>No goggles
>Just a lab coat
>Guys next to her are in full hazmat suits and prepared for shit.
>To the surprise of nobody, she's infected.
I'm really happy that Hollywood's done with zombies and moving onto vampires/werewolves.
>>
Behind enemy lines is one of those rare movies where the battlefield is portrayed realistically.
The other movie similar to that is the russian movie, Purgatory.
>>
>>34175256
I heard Children of Men had realistic urban combat scenes.
>>
>>34164300
kek
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.