[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /k/ i dont come here often but i am currently working for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: DSC01543.jpg (138KB, 801x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01543.jpg
138KB, 801x1200px
Sup /k/
i dont come here often but i am currently working for a company making a post apocalyptic game (roughly 200 years post apocalypse) and something has always pestered me, of firearms today, what would be serviceable 200 years into the future? ive only seen how to make black powder on the net, havent seen anyone trying to make modern smokeless powder?

is it possible? does smokeless powder have a shelflife?

someone said that it did have a halflife of 50 years. (50% functioning rounds at 50 years old) and that smokeless powder cannot be made by hand with basic tooling. Is this right?

Would it be possible to convert a modern firearm to use black powder?

TL;DR how do i make post apoalypse "right"
>>
Firearm production will not stop no matter what apocalyptic scenario you imagine, you already have demonstrated that you're not capable of making this story logically sound.

Just go for something fun and dumb like fallout or mad max
>>
>>34163748
>does smokeless powder have a shelflife?
yes but it depends more on storage conditions than anything
>someone said that it did have a halflife of 50 years. (50% functioning rounds at 50 years old) and that smokeless powder cannot be made by hand with basic tooling. Is this right?
yes
>Would it be possible to convert a modern firearm to use black powder?
possible but the ammo wouldnt be as effective as normal ammo
jams would be more common
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfzQ4uKvE7c
>>
>>34163761
like 90% of his question is about the shelf life and DIY viability of smokeless gun powder. what in fuck are you on about
>>
>>34163777
>TL;DR how do i make post apoalypse "right"

This part dummy
>>
>>34163748
>of firearms today, what would be serviceable 200 years into the future?
Literally everything.

>ive only seen how to make black powder on the net, havent seen anyone trying to make modern smokeless powder?
Gather chestnuts.

>is it possible?
yes.

>does smokeless powder have a shelflife?
Not if stored properly.

>Is this right?
No.

>Would it be possible to convert a modern firearm to use black powder?
Yes. Change the barrel, change interior brass geometry, or reduce the charge.

Go to qtddtot next time, or make a writefag general.
>>
>>34163748
I'm shooting 70 year old ammo with a 100% bang rate. Whatever fudd told you that shit is wrong
>>
>>34163748
Look to something like Metro 2033.
Shotguns work fine (ish) though most of them will become recoil operated (if semi automatic) or break and pump action.
Due to the artisan nature of firearms, magazines would go back to being one per gun and instead stripper clips would make a come back.
Full automatic weapons would be a thing, but a very rare thing.
And of those, only things like AKs would be readily useable due to the obscenely overgassed nature of the system.
Things like revolvers in .38 special and .357 magnum would be the most useful pistols as they were designed during the days of BP.

And while modern smokeless powder isn't something EASY to make, it would be doable given 200 years.
Hell, most modern firearms would be easily reproduced within those 200 years given proper amounts of time for people to get things like forges (I mean giant pneumatic and hydraulic forging machines, not blacksmith shops) and mills set back up.
China builds shit like this every damn day.
>>
>>34163761
Direction of story is not my dept, im just a codemonkey but we do have an ideas board i can throw stuff on.
>>
>>34163811
Oh, also, people would still be able to easily scrounge factory made rounds even 100 years into the future post apocalypse.
The problem is that it would probably be mostly oddball shit by that point.

But again, making ammunition is mostly a mechanical process that can be done with machines that have not been computerized fairly easily.

And again, tons of shit started off as BP (.38 special, 45 LC, a bunch of the early automatic pistol cartridges had BP counterparts, early levergun cartridges in general, and shitloads more)

Basically, anything bolt action lever action or pump action will keep on trucking.
Eventually people will get the hang of better sealed mechanisms and using recoil to make semi autos again.
AKs have been run off BP, and i intend to test my FAL on BP.
Most will run but not for very long.
>>
>>34163811
>Due to the artisan nature of firearms, magazines would go back to being one per gun
The micrometer, the mechanical caliper, and guages have already been invented.
It's not hard to make make hand made parts interchangeable. Paki's are just sub-human.

>Full automatic weapons would be a thing, but a very rare thing.
This is a toss up. Could go either way. Automatic fire would certainly be a luxury.
>>
File: koko6.jpg (90KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
koko6.jpg
90KB, 1280x720px
>>34163791
OP
>how shitty is old gunpowder? can you DIY new smokeless powder if this 50yr halflife is true?

(You)
>Firearm production will not stop no matter what apocalyptic scenario you imagine

>calling someone else dummy for being confused by this
>>
>>34163796
my bad, not a /k/reg.
whats qtddot?
>>
>>34163985
its a typo on my part.
questions that dont deserve their own thread, qtddtot. But writefag generals are more applicable to you.

qtddtot threads are more suited towards singular questions and little pieces of knowledge like "can anyone think of guns other than the pederson that had waxed cartidges?"
>>
>>34163811
FA guns are easier to make than semi auto, particularly in a garage with only pluming supplies, some jb weld, and a dremel to work with.
>>
>>34163748
1. why 200 years
2. what type of game (3d fps, side-scrolling adventure, isometric rpg, etc.)
3. what will you bring to the table that nobody else has, what makes your game unique
4. why do you need this particular part of the game to be realistic? this is something that almost anybody will pass off as suspension of disbelief
>>
>>34164003
Easier with smokeless powder present, yes.
The problem becomes that with the de-evolution back to BP, we meet the same problems that people developing, say, 45-70 ran into.
Burn rates and pressures mean you have to say fuck it and go bigger to get comparable ballistics to something like 7.62 NATO.

Smokeless powder enables shit to be the size that it is by being obscenely efficient about how it expands and at what rate.
Automatic weaponry would become a pain in the ass to feed because of the size of ammunition (for anything but, and you can laugh at me for this but you know deep down I'm probably right, shotgun shell fed weaponry; comparatively speaking it will be quite nice to just dump a plastic cased round in and blast away)

Open bolt will be a thing, but a more likely than no not man portable thing (not easily at least)

>>34163867
You neglect the fact that not everyone is a firearms designer or an engineer.
The Pakistanis don't have interchangeability because of a lack of precision, and they have access to tools (you can't tell me a micrometer is too hard to get in Pakistan) but not the knowledge or skill.

Mags will exist, and there'll probably be mag fed weaponry that relies on mags.
But.
I still believe stripper clips will make a comeback because of the simplicity and the lack of precision required.
You would even be able to help these dumb fuckers be correct when they call shit a clip (which they'll inevitably do)
>>
>>34164074
>>>34163748 (OP)
1. OP, the time frame doesn't matter, but if you're going to do anything longer than 30yr, you need to have lore about how the situation keeps getting (gradually) worse, otherwise things would get exponentially better and it wouldn't be post-apocalyptic.

3. fuck off with this shit. That's how you get trashy gimmicky games.

4. That's because most people are incompetent and don't give thought to a valid post apocalyptic scenario set-up like:
something something scifi (massive geothermal meme'ing to beam energy to the moon for specialized manufacturing, but we meme'd too hard) /aliens (because magic) the dynamo effect is weakening.
>>
>>34164074
1) because writers
2) mixture of realtime and turn based.
3) sweeden
4) because i had a curiosity (nogunz) about how firearms would work and it doesnt appear to have been considered, so i thought id ask some knowledgeable people.
>>
For the love of god please include blunderbusses that you can load with shit you find laying around.
>>
>>34163796
>>Would it be possible to convert a modern firearm to use black powder?
>Yes. Change the barrel, change interior brass geometry, or reduce the charge.
There's no need to do any of that. A modern weapon can fire normal cartridges loaded with blackpowder :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhPLfBawDlE
But automatic weapons will jam after 3 shots :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln6poK8zVnc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LopUNq6lF2U
>>
>>34163748
Considering how surplus russian ammo that was made hundred years ago can still be used without flaw and as well be stored for another hundred years proves that smokeless powder will not go bad as long you actually take good care on where you keep your ammo stored.
>>
What kind of apocalypse?
>>
>>34164121
you'd need brass shotgun rounds, plastic will stick when it's warm
>>
>>34163748
>roughly 200 years post apocalypse
Why 200 years? Unless you're aiming for a post-post apocalyptic game, you're probably going to want it to take place much sooner than 200 years later. The game lore better have a good explanation as to why shit hasn't got better if you a post apocalyptic game set 200 years after whatever apocalypse occurred, otherwise you're going to get people shitting all over the game like they did Fallout 3.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.