[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

T-55 v M48, which is better?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: HW6kEDw.jpg (161KB, 1160x565px) Image search: [Google]
HW6kEDw.jpg
161KB, 1160x565px
I'd like to ask you guys this question:

Which tank really is better? The M48 or the T-55? For a long time, I felt very confused about this because sources seem to be a bit iffy on that? As in I don't really see a clear explanation of which tank outperforms or atleast is mildly competitive to the other.
>>
>>34151283

It's going to depend heavily on the specific variant of M48 and T-55 considering the two tanks have had 60+ year service lives.
>>
I'm primarily talking about the base main production models, the T-55A and the M-48A1. Later variants I'd be welcome to learn about but I'm primarily asking about those mentioned.
>>
>>34151340

It is still going to vary a lot because when these tanks entered service there were rapid developments in anti-tank munitions. They have roughly equivalent armor. The M48 had better fire control with its coincidence rangefinder, although I'm not sure if early variants had a similar analog ballistic computer as later variants. The T-55 was a smaller target.
>>
A T-55 will have the paper advantage over a 90mm armed M48.

A 105mm armed M48 will have the paper advantage over a T-55.
>>
Ah, alright. So they are essentially completely equal? M48 has better fire control but the T-55 is a lower target, so it just depends on the training and experience of the crew for the two to be able to best one another in a one on one?
>>
>>34151580
M48 isn't as cramped on the inside either, which means the crew can operate it longer without going fucking crazy

Soviet tanks were manlets only
>>
They would perform about the same in a single engagement, but US tanks in the early-mid cold war tended to have better reliability and ease of maintenance. It would be a bigger advantage the larger and more protracted a campaign became.
>>
File: M48.jpg (2MB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
M48.jpg
2MB, 3072x1728px
>>34151580
An M48 would have had superior situational awareness to go along with those firing optics. Odds are good that the M48 would identify, target, engage, and hit the T-55 first most of the time.
>>
Centurion > M48 > T-55
>>
>>34151749

M48=T-55>Centurion
>>
File: Centorian Mk.1.png (321KB, 736x402px) Image search: [Google]
Centorian Mk.1.png
321KB, 736x402px
>>34151749
I don't know that the Centurion's 20pdr was that much better than the US 90mm or Soviet 100mm. That being said, because they developed and deployed it first, the 105mm L7 can definitely be factored in here. So,

Centurion 5/2+ > M48A5 > M48-M48A3 ~= Centurion Mk.1-5/1 > T-55 (>AMX-30)
>>
>>34151749

The Centurion was relatively poorly armored compared to the M48 and T-55, and had an antiquated suspension.

The only advantage it had was that it got the L7 first.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.