[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come nobody tried to create a gun with destructive intereference?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

File: 8493468_orig.gif (24KB, 600x359px) Image search: [Google]
8493468_orig.gif
24KB, 600x359px
If someone managed to do it, the gun would be whisper quiet, no?

What would the ATF do? Since it wouldn't have any attachment to the barrel?
>>
This is going to be a fun thread
>>
Not sure if this is possible. While you could probably match the amplitude and frequency of the shot, I don't think you could match the actual position of the wave to make it deconstructive interference. You would just as likely create constructive, I would guess, just because of how complex a gunshot is.
>>
>>34151060
could you do it with a pipe around the barrel, and maybe transfer the wave to the forward end of the pipe and leave the back end free-floating?
>>
Because it's functionally impossible. Aside from the supersonic crack of the round, which you could counter with subsonic rounds, you have the problem of timing and frequency. Or rather, the complete uncertainty of both. Unless you both get the timing frequency of the interfering sound completely right you'll either have some sound left or worse, you made even more sound.

And that's if a shot made only one sound at all. That's disregarding reverbs from the barrel or any other effect burning gunpowder might have.
>>
>>34151060
No... Just... No.

Guns don't make 1 loud sound, they make 5... 2 really loud sounds, 1 loud sound, and 2 not so loud but still quite audible sounds...
>>
File: sinewave.png (11KB, 496x136px) Image search: [Google]
sinewave.png
11KB, 496x136px
>>34151060
does this help?
>>
Oh boy....
The noise from an explosion or gunshot is spread across a tremendous number of frequencies. You can cancel them out in theory, by inverting the noise after it's been recorded. But in order to cancel it out in practice you would need to record and map the pitch and frequency of essentially endless points, calculate the inverse of them, and play it back BEFORE the sound is made. Oh, by the way, the noise is different every fucking time.
/thread
>>
File: image.jpg (4KB, 89x123px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4KB, 89x123px
Hmmm must be summer
>>
This is like the shit teir threads they get on /diy/ where a guy thinks he knows a whole bunch about something and he's asking a really specific question but then everyone who actually knows anything about it struggles to step back far enough to describe the basic underlying principals that the OP is too plain fucking dumb to understand.
>>
File: 1485997525959.png (291KB, 499x583px) Image search: [Google]
1485997525959.png
291KB, 499x583px
>>34151930
>>
Fuck the haters OP. Make your crazy noise cancelling gun and I'll buy 10 of em
>>
Even if you could somehow map every single possible frequency of a gunshot, wouldn't the device have to be constantly producing the inverse of the noise to cancel out a gunshot as it happens? If that case, you would have just made a device that sounds like endless gunshots (and is as loud as gunshots) which is pretty much the opposite of a suppressor.

I suppose you could wire some sort of trigger for it, so it only starts the moment you pull the trigger, and cuts off after a few fractions of a second, but in that case since your device is producing every possible inverse for a gunshot, it's still making the nose of a gunshot and only canceling out the actual gunshot's sound.
>>
>>34152444
>>34152046
>>34151922
>>34151853
>>34151836

There is literally no reason why you couldn't do this other than the practicality of getting equipment and setting it up- you probably wouldn't make a gun that takes advantage of destructive interference, but could set up a station to cancel the sound of a gunshot by playing back the sound of the gunshot inverted.

You don't have to map shit, nor is a gunshot particularly challenging other than by virtue of its actual volume. It works by recording the noise, inverting the frequencies and then playing it back. This is exactly how noise-cancelling headphones work.

It wouldn't make a gun silent, but pairing it with a suppressed firearm shooting subsonic ammunition would make for an exceptionally quiet shot, beyond what's possible with just an integral suppressor.
>>
File: 1104998_orig.gif (32KB, 250x378px) Image search: [Google]
1104998_orig.gif
32KB, 250x378px
>>34152751
Well that and somehow designing a speaker that is small, portable, and unintrusive and can still put out the volume of sound required for this to actually work...
>>
>>34152751
The station would be in a different place though, so the sound would only be canceled halfway between the gun and the station. Everywhere else you'd hear both.

Throw two stones in a pond; you'll see the ripples only interact between them, nowhere else.
>>
>>34151922
are you from a 3rd world country? because here in the land of the free, you can buy noise-cancelling headphones and many otherwise loud workplaces have noise-cancelling technologies to protect worker hearing.

the problem is making it small enough to fit on a gun but develop enough sound pressure to cancel the opposing wave.

you may cancel the wave but there's still the pressure on your eardrums.
>>
>>34152838
"Noise-cancelling" headphones don't actually cancel any of the noise with destructive interference. They're just regular ear protection earmuffs with a microphone built in that amplifies quiet sounds. The muffs block loud sounds just like any cheapo set will, and the microphone amplifies quiet stuff like human speech so you can still hear it fine with your muffs on.
>>
>>34152779
>pigs are louder than a tablesaw
Holy fuck
>>
>>34152955
My older brother worked on an ag farm in high school
He said that the pig squeals would literally raffle his rib cage
>>
File: distilled_america.jpg (81KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
distilled_america.jpg
81KB, 1000x1000px
>>34151060
Assume for argument's sake that the the gun shot is a simple sinusoidal wave of a single frequency. The phase shift between the two waves (one from the gun shot, another that you're imagining destructively interfering) depends on the point of observation--- that is, the phase shift between the two waves depends on the path difference between the two points of origin to the point of observation. That means that in general only very specific points destructively interfere, as in pic related. The only way to get around this is to have both waves originate at the same point, which would completely negate the pressure wave (i.e. no momentum imparted to the bullet, defeating the purpose entirely).

This is the least of your problems, real life gunshots are far more complicated.

t. irl physicist
>>
File: interference.jpg (21KB, 400x252px) Image search: [Google]
interference.jpg
21KB, 400x252px
>>34153089
WHOOPS WRONG PIC RELATED

should drink that whiskey anyway though its awesome
>>
>>34153089
If it was a muzzle device, you could negate a lot of it, because the vast majority of the noise is created there.

Assuming you can get around the fact that gunshots do not produce a single frequency, nor is the mix of frequencies very predictable. Which I don't think you can.
>>
>>34153158
It depends on what part of the spectrum you're trying to get rid of--- even mounted at the muzzle, and if you could exactly invert the waveform, you'd still have some small path length difference. For low frequency components this wouldn't amount to much phase shift, but for higher frequency components it would be significant. Basically a whole mountain of engineering challenges just mean this is never going to happen (at least, it's exceedingly unlikely it would ever outperform traditional suppressors).
>>
>>34151060
How are you liking your first day of Physics 1, anon?
>>
>>34152871

Noise cancelling headphones (as in, for listening to music) do cancel noise by destructive interference.

Actual ear protection with electronic noise reduction, like Peltors does what you say. They aren't the same thing.
>>
File: 1492988753455.jpg (495KB, 1490x990px) Image search: [Google]
1492988753455.jpg
495KB, 1490x990px
>>34152094
>>
>>34151060
I know people are treating you like a retard but this weapon could totally exist or maybe even does exist. A phased array is a set of antennas that are designed to radiate waves that interfere constructively at some point in space. This creates an electronically steerable antenna. You just need enough antennas transmitting at high enough power level. It would probably need to be at frequency that could excite some vibrational or rotational mode of water and you could cook people like a microwave. I have held my hand in front of high power ~10 GHz phased areas and it feels warm. If the power had been cranked all the way up it probably would have hurt quite a bit.

The "Active Denial System" might even be a phased array even though at 95 GHz that is not easy. I bet they are working on something like that now that mm-wave integrated circuits have taken pretty big step forward since ADS was first planned.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.