[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Future acquisition thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 10

File: maxresdefault.jpg (147KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
147KB, 1920x1080px
Buying a Ruger LCRx three inch barrel Sunday. Four speed loaders, XS dot sight, and extra grip for $350. How'd I do?
>>
>>34140596
That's pretty good
>>
>>34140596
Make sure you read the instruction manual.
>>
Got a 805 bren on the way. Acr stock and adaptor too.
>>
>>34140596
Which caliber, anon?
>>
>>34140650
Why's that? Anything in particular?>>34140686
Nice, where'd you buy it?
>>
>>34140699
.38 special. I think the extra grip is a compact one. Either way I'll still carry it on the trail or at my dig sites. First two rounds rat shot for the snakes and next 3 Buffalo bore
>>
File: IMG_0440.jpg (54KB, 650x237px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0440.jpg
54KB, 650x237px
Got a fix in .308 should be coming this month
>>
File: 537896767967479.png (61KB, 331x121px) Image search: [Google]
537896767967479.png
61KB, 331x121px
>>34140805
>>
>>34141196
that stock is oddly attractive to me
>>
>>34140650
Kek'd
>>
File: 1494258124572m.jpg (85KB, 1024x773px) Image search: [Google]
1494258124572m.jpg
85KB, 1024x773px
>>34141502
Ah
>>
>>34141502
Ruger should shoot their lawyers for forcing this bullshit on fine looking guns!
>>
>>34141580
Eh the LCR series has a cyber punk aesthetic, and the font they use matches
>>
>>34140805
local shop, neato I transfer stuff there a lot discount too.
>>
>>34141596
Yeah I'm no fan of the lcr...it's just gay on the good looking rugers.
>>
>>34140596
>Buying a Ruger LCRx three inch barrel Sunday. Four speed loaders, XS dot sight, and extra grip for $350. How'd I do?
Very good price, but I wouldn't do it because I've had some really bad experiences with Ruger revolvers recently jamming up due to poor machining tolerances. I would not buy another one. Their semi-autos have never jammed on me.
>>
File: IMG_0433.jpg (51KB, 675x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0433.jpg
51KB, 675x450px
>>34141521
45 degree bolt lift, right folding stock, easy change barrel system, 308 pmags, 5 pounds 9 ounces
>>
>>34141697
and $3000, i see
>>
>>34141621
This is an older one, care to elaborate? I've never heard that about Ruger
>>
>>34142161
>I've never heard that about Ruger
nor have I, usually people shit on their auto pistols not their revolvers
>>
Next purchase is probably gonna be between a Rock Island or an Auto Ordnance 1911.

RIA has some good QC, but AO is USA made. However, AO 1911s are all 80 series.

I'm torn. Maybe I should just ante up and get a Colt 70 gumment.
>>
File: IMG_2082_v_1401705739.jpg (123KB, 900x672px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2082_v_1401705739.jpg
123KB, 900x672px
>>34140596
Can't decide if I want to get a Marlin (probably 30-30 or 45-70) or a 44 Super Blackhawk. I mean, I'll probably get both but one at a time.

Both range toys that can grab a deer later this year.

Or I can just fuck it and start my M16A1 clone
>>
Put a barely shot CZ-97B, glossy blue finish, wood grips on layaway. Original price was $450 and I almost had a stroke when I saw it.
>>
>>34142449
You lucky son of a bitch.
>>
>>34142456
Shop bought out a gun store than went out of business. Mostly fudd things but they had a .30 cal "sneak" Luger, matching except the mag for $990, a JP Sauer short barrel Drilling for $1899 and that CZ. Owner still marks CZ's like "surplus" guns.
>>
>>34142402
Don't get a Marlin, get a Henry.
>>
>>34142528
>TUBE LOADING
The ones I'm looking are pre-remington anyway
>>
>>34140596
I have a regular LCR on layaway. I'm going to use it as my carry gun.
>>
>>34142568
You could also get a BLR and have the modern incarnation of the win1895
>>
I'm thinking of rewarding myself with a fun gun and I'm considering a USP 45T.
Not sure if I should go full retard and just go for the Mark 23.
>>
>>34142528

But I want a .45-70 side loader.
>>
>>34142654
>Not sure if I should go full retard and just go for the Mark 23.
Have you held one? It's a fucking monster. I'm lusting for a 45T eventually since the FNX tactical has a fucking iron maiden for a grip.
>>
>>34142707
Hence the full retard bit.
I haven't held one before, and I can't think of any place locally that keeps a Mark 23 on the shelves. My only comparison was I held a 45T and it filled my hands right up. I could imagine that a Mark 23 would be comically big for me doing anything but the occasional range trip.
The FNX Tac was also on the table for me, but the extra capacity isn't a big deal for me, I don't like the FNX grips either and honestly, it just doesn't look nearly as good as the USP.
>>
>>34142742

You shouldn't be buying a gun based on its looks.

Go look at a CZ 97 or a P220 if you want a nice suppressor platform in 45 cal.
>>
>>34142742
>can't think of any place locally that keeps a Mark 23 on the shelves.
That tends to be the issue because it's an absurd gun like the 50AE deagle. I got lucky to fingerfuck one. I'm actually looking at the compact tactical because my hands aren't particularly big.

I guess if you can comfortably hold the 45T and think "yeah, I could go bigger" consider it. worst that happens is you resell it and eat $100-200 or so; consider it a rental fee
>>
>>34142764
>CZ 97
does anyone even make threaded barrels for it?
>>
>>34142785

Why in the fuck would you suggest to him to sell it if he decided he didn't like it? That gun would be nice just to own for the sake of collecting, since it has its own place in history. Price tag is a little steep, like all HKs, but it would make for a great conversation piece in the mancave.
>>
>>34142832
Because there's no point in keeping a gun he dislikes? Maybe he's a collector, I'm not. I buy used shit then resell it if it doesn't fit. I feel like a slightly smaller (but still large) 45 with a can on it could start a conversation just as easily.
>>
>>34141621
I've never had this experience with Ruger revolvers...I'd be interested to hear more.
>>
>>34141178
Dig sites?
>>
>>34142853
Then don't give him advice to buy a $1,500 gun without even holding it first. That's just a headache waiting to happen.
>>
>>34142955
I do freelance paleontology and archaeology
>>
>>34143097
Really? How is it? I'm just finishing up a few lib. studies classes for a geology/paleontology degree and am working on applying to grad schools but that sounds like a pretty awesome job
>>
>>34142961

Mark 23s are generally special order, and are rare used. It's not something you can typically get your hands on, let alone at a range that has rentals.
>>
>>34142161
The LCRx isn't older, especially that 3" version. It's a newer model.
>>34142177
>>34142878
A revolver I owned and a revolver my brother own would experience cylinder lock up while shooting due to the gap between the cylinder face and the breech of the barrel face being too tight and uneven (it would only bind when the cylinder was at a certain o'clock). I sent my gun in to Ruger and they reprofiled the cylinder face, although it still had the issue slightly when I got it back, so I just gave up on it and sold the gun, rather than pay to ship it back to them a second time. They replaced my brother's gun with an entirely new revolver, however, so apparently this was such a serious issue that they couldn't just repair his gun. Mine was an older Super Redhawk, I think they said it was made in 2007 or so, but don't recall exactly. My brother's was a 2014 SP101.

And before some Ruger fanboi chimes in that "Ruger wouldn't make you pay to return your gun to them," they made me pay return shipping because I wasn't the original owner and it was older. They did the repair work and shipped it back to me for free. They paid for my brother's gun to be shipped back and replaced completely.

On the other hand, I've owned a few Ruger semi-autos since then, and my experience has been much, much better. Only real other issue was the floorplate on my LCP's included magazine being a bit out of spec (made it tricky to seat the magazine in the gun), but Ruger sent me a replacement floorplate which completely solved the issue. No jams with the semi-autos, though.
>>
>>34142764
I know not to buy a gun based on looks, it's just a nice plus for me.

My only issues with those choices are finding the threaded barrel for the CZ97 and, on both the CZ and Sig, friendliness for left-handed abominations like myself. Personally, I love paddle mag releases which is a big reason I'm leaning towards an HK.
>>
>>34143136

Then it looks like it's not his cup of tea then? Unless of course he wants one just to have it. No point in selling the fucking thing once you jump through the flaming hoops to get one.
>>
>>34143133
Where are you located? Anywhere near SD and I can get you some field experience if you like.

It's a hell of a life. I've worked for both public museums and private ones out to make a buck. If you really like dinosaurs and want to write about them in a relatively cozy job, publish as much as you can, get a PhD and work for a university or public museum. There's not a lot of jobs though and they're kinda cunts sometimes.

If you want more risk and a touch of adventure, private is the way to go. You'll generally do a lot more field work, but you'll spend time with some real characters and meeting the right people can make you a very, very rich man. It's what I do, pays the bills pretty decently but I'm doing it very sporadically this summer since I got a research position at my school. This advice all goes for Paleontology. Archaeology is a lot more relaxed, do a field school, take some classes, and either get an anthropology degree or anything tangentially related. Any liberal arts degree can work, find a way to apply it to an archaeological context. Music? Learn and find out new stuff about how an ancient culture viewed music or how their instruments worked and musician's role in their society, for example. Get your master's too and you can get a pretty cushy job, archaeologists are pretty chill guys. I only volunteer for them though, I much prefer bones.
>>
Going to be getting babby's first handgun when I turn 21 later this month. Currently narrowing it down between a Ruger 9e, Bersa Thunder 9 Pro, or maybe a Taurus pt92.
>>
>>34143220
Im in SoCal and studied in AZ. Though I'm considering the SD School of Mines for grad school since a classmate of mine got accepted there already. I kind of figured I'd end up in a museum or university though private is looking good. I know a few companies in CA that do paleo/archaeo consulting and I've considered looking into internships or jobs to help pay for grad school. I was planning on a PhD but we'll see what the future holds I guess. I haven't been able to find reliable info on how much people in the field make, any insight?
>>
>>34143171
Thanks for sharing your experience! I'll definitely check it for function and tolerances. Is it possible you and your brother's guns had been modified or had shot improper loads? I apologise if I seem incredulous, I've just never heard anything about bad craftsmanship from Ruger
>>
>>34140596
Wish these came in .327 mag
>>
File: 1362380647953.jpg (160KB, 420x750px) Image search: [Google]
1362380647953.jpg
160KB, 420x750px
Soon:
>Spas 12 with folding hook stock

Soonish
>Omega .30 (stamp back)
>Octane 45HD (stamp back)

Eventually
>M203 (stamp back)
>>
>>34143262

I'd heartily recommend against school of mines. It's a damn shame, the black hills has incredibly varied fossil resources but the last and current department heads are awful at land owner relationships and currently have only one rancher willing to work with them. University of Nebraska, or Kansas, or either Wyoming state universities are good bets, get your master's in geology and focus on paleontology, then PhD in Paleontology somewhere they're willing to pay you.

California is an interesting situation. Every state requires CRM work in areas with a ton of archaeological sites, with a master's you can run a firm, with a bachelor's you can work for them. They'll be $40-90 a year depending on the area and the amount of construction, but it's often heartbreaking to see what gets plowed over and destroyed. California also requires paleontology CRM work, pay is $60 and up to ludicrous levels a year. You'll have the same requirements as archaeology CRM (two years experience and a relevant degree), but they'll also require field work in California in most places. Lotta jobs there though.

There's a pretty major income split between public and private guys. Students working towards a museum position are usually above the poverty line, but there's a terrible scarcity of jobs at that level and the ones that will hire you will often work you so hard that it's difficult to publish and move up the food chain. Once you have your PhD it can be difficult to find a job but once you're in it's unlikely you'll lose it, and you'll often make just under six figures. If you do your master's in geology instead of Paleontology at the school of mines (they're the only us institution offering a master's in Paleontology) you're much more likely to be granted research, ta, and tuition reimbursement. I spent a year at school of mines, there's a ton of weapons grade autism in the paleo department, though a few good eggs I'd be happy to recruit.
>>
>>34143262
Private work is more of a mixed bag. There's a lot fewer private guys in the US, but a lot of them are making ridiculous money. Don't go spouting off about private guys- public museum folks aren't too fond of us. Some of it is jealousy, but some of it is the very valid concern that a good amount of scientifically important information is lost when a fossil is sold. I'd argue that fossil isn't very scientifically important to begin with, and exponentially more fossil is lost to natural processes than private collectors, but it's like arguing gun control with a liberal. You can be entirely correct and argue with tact and conviction, but you won't make friends
>>
>>34143346
Do you know if any CA universities have decent geology/paleo programs? I was looking at UCSB but wasn't really sure how to find the real quality of the program, faculty, etc. Most searches I've tried basically tell you that Ivy League are really good schools and that's about it. I will definitely look into the schools you suggested. Thank you so much for all this.
>>
>>34143371
Yeah I've heard plenty about private collectors from everyone along those lines.
>>
>>34143391
I've never bumped into anyone who's done their education out there. Most of the guys I met in both spheres have spent some portion of their education in Kansas, the notable exception being the Larsens. They called it good at a bs geo degree from school of mines and promptly beat the tar out of them as far as breakthrough research and finds.

There's some good Canadian colleges in the prairie, I want to say Macewan but I could be wrong. University of Alaska could be a good choice if you're not tied down anywhere, there's a lot of interesting stuff trickling down
>>
>>34143403
I'd add though that Paleontology in the US was started by private guys who made incredible breakthroughs. The only thing that's really changed is that museum's stopped buying fossils and paying diggers. I've never met a private collector who wouldn't prefer to sell for much less profit to a museum, or hasn't donated important specimens. I'm sure they're out there though, there's a lot of scumminess in the community that gets swept under the rug.
>>
>>34143473
Thanks for all your help. I'll definitely look into all the schools you mentioned.
>>
>>34143489
How much is a nigger skeleton worth? I've found a few from my great grandfather lynching phase
>>
>>34143517
Not a problem. Again, if you see someone posting about South Dakota, Paleontology, or a Ruger LCRx with the long barrel, and if you're available for a week of work or so, ask if it's me and we can get in contact. Or just leave a burner email and we can move off the thread and let it stay on topic a bit
>>
File: soon-ish.png (225KB, 1086x332px) Image search: [Google]
soon-ish.png
225KB, 1086x332px
>still waiting
>>
>>34143541
Human remains aren't exactly legal to sell, but they could be worth a good deal on the black market.

In all seriousness, if you find something archaeological, let a nearby school know. They'll appreciate the opportunity and teach you more about your area's history than you think possible, and you'll probably get a few free meals at least
>>
>>34143547
here's an email: [email protected]
I must say that I haven't heard really anything bad about the Ruger LCRx and the groups Ive seen from the 3" are great. No personal experience though. And $350 sounds like an amazing price that I am envious of
>>
>>34141697
What the fuck, is that a bolt action?
>>
>>34142707
Kek, yeah that fnx grip sux balls
>>
>>34143271
Mine: it didn't look like it had been modified.
His: he bought it brand new, so no.

Unfortunately, neither gun showed any signs of lock up at first. The gun needs to be just the slightest bit dirty, and I don't mean deep soiling, but within about 150 rounds of shooting, you'll notice it, perhaps not fewer. He didn't notice his issue until his third or so time taking it to the range. I looked at it and it was not unreasonably dirty. Ruger mentioned on the phone before sending our guns back that the area behind the ejection star can get dirt in it, but I cleaned it out really well and in both cases, that didn't solve the issue without sending the guns back.
>>
>>34143235
Just get the ruger, I can't shit talk the bersa, but the Taurus is a terrible gun
>>
>>34143733
Isn't the PT92 the only good Taurus gun, considering its literally just a Beretta 92?
>>
File: IMG_0458.jpg (74KB, 596x700px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0458.jpg
74KB, 596x700px
>>34141914
$2750 if you got in on the preorder
>>
File: IMG_0457.jpg (55KB, 675x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0457.jpg
55KB, 675x450px
>>34143623
Yes. Designed by the same guy that made the honey badger
>>
>>34143097
That's rad
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.