[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A crazy random hole in your firearms knowledge made you feel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

File: m3_gg4.jpg (13KB, 600x292px) Image search: [Google]
m3_gg4.jpg
13KB, 600x292px
Grew up my whole life surrounded by guns and reading all the war history books. Even served 9yrs USMC. Heard a Vietnam vet say he had a .45cal grease gun and I thought he was full of shit but kept quiet until I could look into it. I’m an asshole because of my own knowledge holes…I don’t know how I could have never heard of a M3A1!
>>
well never mind. I thought this would be a fun and interesting thread...
>>
>>34139867
why would you ignorance be fun and interesting?
>>
>>34139888
because everybody has a story about learning something new when they didn't even know they didn't know it
>>
>>34139867

fun thread: "Here's an interesting anecdote, and an invitation to share your own experiences!"

your thread: "i didtn know aobut gun??"
>>
>>34139561

I know very little about ARs and they are perhaps the most popular rifles here, meh.
>>
None of you assholes have ever just hang out in a gunshop with a bunch of old guys just to bs and learn a thing or two? How cynical(snowflake) are you to not just have fun and share a silly story or two?
>>
Had my dad spew the ping m1 garand meme about it being able to be heard be enemies.
Heard someone refute by the logic of rounds,grenades and other extremely loud explosion.
Think about it, realize the fudd even reached me.
I am constantly trying to up my knowledge, shits fun too.
>>
>>34139561
Well I'm new here. Like only just started using /k/ in the past few days.
As an Aussie who lives in the city I've never even had the opportunity to hold a gun unfortunately. I know sweet fuck all but I'm learning a lot from this place so that's good. Hopefully it'll serve me well one day when I eventually move to America!
>>
>>34141069
try to absorb as much as you can and tryo to learn who the trolls are. When you get to the U.S. and get your hands on all the guns you want hopefully you have a cool range coach or amazing airbnb bros to teach you proper gun control. Guns and explosions followed by girls and beer is best!
>>
>>34141342
Sounds like a dream. Fucking A.
I have been looking to join the marines for a while now. I have a lot of work to do because I'm a fucking weedy lil cunt but hopefully I'll get there.
>>
>>34141402
Chin up Lad, you'll get there and when you hate life during boot in San Diego just know you're joining the most true brotherhood in arms there is.
>>
>>34139561
How could you not know the grease gun was a .45 that was it's original chambering, there were conversions to 9mm to use kraut ammo but .45acp was it's standard caliber even a basic history channel level of knowledge should give you that information
>>
>>34142527
(sameguy)

he was just an old guy on a DAV ride to Seattle a bit ago. He had a ton of stories that never sounded fake, but never gave dates for any of them. We know he volunteered twice and was never more then an E5 Grunt USMC
>>
It was designed to be easily convertible between 9mm and .45 and was still in use by the U.S. military as late as the mid 1990s.
>>
>>34142462
I think he meant that he didn't think there were grease guns in Vietnam, because he didn't know about the M3.

It took me a shamefully long time to discover that ARs typically aren't piston driven.
>>
>>34139561
For the longest time I rabidly insisted blowback and recoil operated actions were the same thing.

Didnt realise that while similar a direct blowback weapon is using the gas pressure on the now empty cartridge to push the bolt back. A recoil operated design uses a locked breach and recoil of the barrel moving to the rear with the bolt for a long enough distance for pressure to drop at which point a cam unlocks the breech, arrests the barrels motion, and the now lower pressure in the bore pushes the bolt back.

I was really mean and nasty to some guy over it a while back and now realise I was infact the retard.
>>
File: 6z4gnr[1].jpg (105KB, 798x282px) Image search: [Google]
6z4gnr[1].jpg
105KB, 798x282px
>>34139561

There was a police version of the MAS 38 with a barrel shroud, retractable magazine and buttstock.
I had never heard of it until I saw one on a Star Wars thread.
>>
>>34145926
Yeah, I don't exactly think this is on the same level as OP.
>>
File: god dammit dude.jpg (4MB, 2656x4380px) Image search: [Google]
god dammit dude.jpg
4MB, 2656x4380px
>be noguns baguette
>go to private museum inside a german-built air raid bunker
>see small collection of guns
>tok, 1911, no. 4 enfield, garand, mauser
>ask owner if i can fingerfuck the funs
>he says ok
>take each rifle out of the case
>try the actions, shoulder them towards the wall
>operate mauser bolt
>it won't close
>???
>just put it back with the bolt locked open
>no idea why it won't close
>go home
>look on the internet
>figure out the k98k's magazine follower blocks the action when it's empty
>feel retarded
>>
>>34146418
Two similar stories
>at range with fudds
>one offers to let me shoot his M1 garand
>pick up clip, enthusiastically cram it into the action
>it eats my thumb as M1's are wont to do
>fudds laugh

I had literally never handled an M1 before but wanted to look like I knew what I was doing.

2nd story
>get romanian AK-47 drum mag
>load it
>guys on range are lookin on in interest
>decide to be funny
>"time to get noisy eh?" I say with a humorous smirk
>they chuckle
>pow pow pow click
>laughter erupts
>didnt realise you gotta wind those old soviet drum mags up
>it gets worse
>wind up magazine, follower gets stuck
>open it, attempt to free follower with fingers
>without releasing the spring tension
>KER-CHACK
>FUCK!
>it freed, under tension, and cut the living fuck outta my fingers.

So yeah. I learned 2 things between those 2 seperate incidents. Dont be afraid to ask people for assistance if you dont know what you are doing, and that I should never try to look cool or be funny because I am neither.
>>
File: 1254947383785.png (8KB, 311x311px) Image search: [Google]
1254947383785.png
8KB, 311x311px
>>34146418
>>34146671
>spend most of my life knowing cheap pump, s/s and o/u shotguns
>Mfw 590A1 action lever
>>
File: US_soldier_with_Carl_Gustav_SMG.jpg (178KB, 1280x852px) Image search: [Google]
US_soldier_with_Carl_Gustav_SMG.jpg
178KB, 1280x852px
>literally a better MP40
>there are probably two vidja gaymes that acknowledge its existence

Baffling considering how often I've seen "Swedish K" mentioned in Vietnam memoirs. It gets treated like the MP5 of the day with the special forces use of it, and yet it ends up basically forgotten.
>>
>>34139561
That thing fucked shit in up shellshock nam 67
>>
ITT: OP learned about a gun from IV8888's new video that he was unaware of, thought it was worth everyone's time by posting about it.
>>
File: IMG_1530.jpg (22KB, 800x550px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1530.jpg
22KB, 800x550px
>>34147312
>not as iconic
>would probably play out just like an mp40 but with a different skin

Nah faggot
Dubya Dubya two games need more GREASE
>>
>>34147649
wew

M3A1 can't hit shit. A worse Thompson unless you can't lift it.
>>
File: huge_avatar.jpg (26KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
huge_avatar.jpg
26KB, 300x300px
>>34147649
>is the word

>>34147683
Literally a cqb weapon.
>you were just pretending.
It's cool mademereply/10
>>
I never knew the 5.7 took clips instead of mags>
>>
>>34147649
games always neglect the grease gun and pps43 in favor of the tompson and ppsh41
>>
>>34147740
RIP
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty_2
>>
File: sadbar.jpg (22KB, 365x371px) Image search: [Google]
sadbar.jpg
22KB, 365x371px
>>34141342
>tfw I have all of the Guns,explosions,and beer and no girls or friends to share it with
>>
>>34139867
Fuck you and your stupid thread. Saged
>>
>>34140950
Bloke on the range?
>>
>>34147740
>pps43
play RED ORCHESTRA 2
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.