[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was being a Tunnel Rat the shittiest job in US Military history?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

File: 1496415817008.jpg (2MB, 4477x1081px) Image search: [Google]
1496415817008.jpg
2MB, 4477x1081px
Was being a Tunnel Rat the shittiest job in US Military history?
>>
>>34137376
No. There was a time back during the civil war when gunpowder had to be made from literal shit.
>>
Pretty sure that honor goes to guys that got stuck carrying flamethrowers
>>
>>34137376
What is this, shitposting for ants?
>>
>>34137698
>4477x1081 pixels
right click
open in new tab
be able to read text
>>
Bump for claustrophobia
>>
>>34137499
be in a safe place used to manufacture gunpowder instead of fighting.

handle shit.
>implying some people dont get off on that
>>
>>34137376
Bump because that's a real interesting infographic and I'd like a source
>>
>>34138148

We still have to handle shit in today's military.

Hell, I was Afghanistan last year, and we were still throwing garbage in burn pits and burning shit in barrels.

At least I get t claim it on my VA record now.
>>
>>34137376
Infantry in early WW1.
>>
Shitty but they did get to play with awesome silent model 29s. Also they would fuck with the superstitious Vietnamese by playing tapes of spooky ghost noises in the tunnels.
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 640x426px
>>34138934
Pic related
>>
>>34138148
I'm pretty sure if people found out you had a scat fetish back then you would be lynched and castrated. You would also die from feces-borne diseases.
>>
>>34137376
What I really want to know is have they managed to get a tank that far underground, provided that the picture is an accurate representation of the depth.
>>
>>34138850
Thanks for your cervix, welfare queen.
>>
File: image.jpg (143KB, 496x876px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143KB, 496x876px
Operator as fuck
>>
>>34138943
>>34138934
I desperately want one even though it's unobtanium, not even that good outside of niche purposes, and the ATF would shoot my dogs.
>>
>>34139034
Actually as far as I know there are no laws restricting the ammo and it doesn't actually have a suppressor on it. If you could fabricate the ammo and chop a model 29 you could own one.
>>
>>34137698
Fuck off phone poster
>>
>>34139034
I have literally never heard about this until right now. This is the greatest thing. /k/ should of a fundraiser to buy one and present it to Mark Wahlberg as a gift.
>>
>>34138897
Underrated
>>
>>34137568
With the exception of the American model with a fuel gasket that kept you from igniting yourself.

I would nominate any crew member of a submarine before 1900, or b-17 ball turret gunners. The further back you go the worse the jobs seem to be
>>
tunnel clearing and ball turrets were literally designed to remove manlet lol
>>
>>34141443
The ball turret was actually one of the safest gunner positions on a B-17/24 because it was covered in more than just aluminum. If you see one irl they're sturdy as fuck
>>
>>34141443
why ball turrets tho?
>>
>>34139031
Is that a drinking straw or something?
>>
>>34141512
If the landing gear were ever to malfunction your fucked.
>>
>>34141512
Hard to bail out in case of emergency, big glass target sitting there spitting tracers, and more than one case of the turret door getting jammed and gunners being crushed during landing. Also you have basically no armor against flak.

They talk about gunners being cleaned out of the balls with a hose.
>>
>>34141583
>Grandfather was a baller
>Said the first three times up he never stopped screaming until they landed
>Eventually just got numb to it all
He had a very hoarse and quiet voice when I knew him.
>>
>>34141556
why cant you just, like, get out of the ball turret
>>
>>34139139
>>34139179
>>34139034
>>34138943
While cool as shit, it's interesting to note that each individual cartridge is legally regarded as a silencer itself. Same with the piston cartridges the soviets designed for the PSS and OTs-38.
>>
>>34137376

>sentry snakes
you have got to be fucking kidding me fuck that shit nobody signed up for that Indiana Jones bullshit no stop
>>
>>34141632
Was he a shot caller?
>>
>>34141679
you are basically locked in until you are let out.
>>
File: image.gif (2MB, 300x164px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 300x164px
>>34141813
Seriously, fuck the ATF and fuck the NFA.
>>
>>34141977
Easy there Tim
>>
>>34141679
you could get out if the turret was facing straight down, but the idea is that if the plane is so shot to fuck that the landing gear cant even be manually cranked then it's not the only broken system on the plane.
>>
>>34141992

fuck off dave
>>
>>34137376
What I want to know is how the Vietnamese came to be such masters of physiological warfare.
>>
>>34137763

>not using middle mouse button

enjoy your inefficiency
>>
>>34141994
To be honest the ball turret it quite a bit more durable than people give it credit for. It had a manual backup to it's electro-hydraulic systems and there are a few known instances of the ball turret supporting the weight of the aircraft or even being pushed up into the fuselage and breaking the aircraft in two. Heck in the event of a total fuckfest you can even eject the ball turret which I didn't believe untilI stumbled across pictures of a ball in mid freefall.
>>
>>34141408
Who was using subs militarily before 1900?
>>
>>34141540
mouth bite activated switch you dingus.
>>
>>34137376
It may not have been the absolute worst, but it would have been fucking horrifying.

>how to give manlets PTSD, the job.

I guess we should be thankful that the Taliban aren't this smart, because fuck that. This is why thermobarics are a thing.
>>
>>34142386
the civil war (American) featured at least one submarine.
>>
>>34142085
It helps a lot when you don't give a fuck if a whole bunch of guys die- you can always just send more.
>>
>>34137376
They only went like 10ft deep to place charges. None ever even killed anyone while unnaground. It was all propaganda. Why the fuck would they send one guy with a pistol into the enemy's living quarters?
>>
>>34137376
>sentry snakes
>'scorpion traps
>a buried fucking tank
Jesus Christ, those were some smart rice niggers
>>
>>34141813
so you're saying I could pop off one round every two years or so after paying another $200?
>>
File: products_image4-14452-d[1].jpg (19KB, 388x378px) Image search: [Google]
products_image4-14452-d[1].jpg
19KB, 388x378px
>>34142817
I'm not an expert on the legality of servicing silencers but that is where you would find the ins and outs of economically shooting one of these.

The case in >>34139034 appears threaded on both ends to allow you to unscrew the primer/anvil assembly and load the cartridge which would presumably be the registered and serialed element. The base in the photo at >>34138943 does look like it is itself a security screw.
I think you need some kind of license to service cans yourself but as long as it's only a service and not purchasing new NFA items it could be as short of a turn around as sending the cartridges in, having them reloaded, and sent back to you. Acquiring additional units would incur the normal waits obviously.

That all said, I don't believe you need special permission to make shit like this as long as you're within the legal lines and permits are acquired before manufacture etc, that is unless these are already specifically verboten. I do doubt the BATFE would give marketing approval for something like this though.
Dare to dream.
>>
>>34142274
That wouldn't do much for the gunner, though, since they didn't wear 'chutes inside of them.
>>
>>34142735
I still wouldn't even want to be the guy to do that

10 feet sounds pretty far and the entrances would be prime trap territory
>>
>>34141884
Doubt it. You can catch it, seal its mouth.

Maybe...maybe...attach it to the ceiling somewhere..

How do you remove the sealed mouth, so it can bite, without getting bit in a small tunnel?

How do you keep it alive in there? No water or food? It might die quickly.

Also that tunnel is now useless.

A grenade makes more sense. Much more.
>>
>>34142658
As did the American Revolutionary War
>>
>>34137376
>rolling punji spike trap
jesus fuck how horrifying
>>
>>34137376

Does anyone have a better version of this infographic that is readable? I love tunnel rats. Went to the Cu Chi tunnels years back and it was pretty neat.
>>
>>34137376

Not the shittiest, but one of them.

You either died/got injured or got so good at it they kept having you do it.

That said, it could win you some renown. My uncle's good friend was a pro tunnel rat. One of those guys who got so fucking good at it they sent him into the ones suspected to be the most dangerous.

He doesn't talk about it much but one day after I helped him do a tough job we got pretty fucking drunk and he told me a few stories. Like the time him he couldn't do anything but watch a guy before him bleed to death from a spike trap, then when his sergeant tried to pull him out he stayed in until the VC came to remove the body and reset the trap. He killed two of them with his gun and injured the third, then dragged him back onto the trap and left him to bleed to death on it like his buddy did.
>>
>>34137376
Someone forgot about the Army's 92S.
>>
>>34141443
>that scene in Memphis Belle where the ball turret literally falls off
>those stories where they're ditching a B-17 and forget to let the ball gunner out
>those electric motors that never worked to raise the turret

>but those comfy fucking SWoN missions yo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFE3oA8ryXc
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.