[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gun safety

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_2131.jpg (256KB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2131.jpg
256KB, 1440x1440px
>How do you feel about a handgun with a safety?

AND

>How do you feel about walking around with a bullet in the chamber.

I think safety's on EDC guns are largely unnecessary. I thought everyone thought this until I started talking to irl people who aren't my friends and realized a lot of people LOVE SAFETYS on there hand guns

I also carry a bullet in the chamber, i think its necessary after the few self defense classes ive attended, and is something i thought everyone did untill I started talking to more irl people and found out they thought i was a crazed manic who was going to shoot his dick off every time her drew his gun.

What do you think about these issues
>>
>>34132006

always carry a round in the chamber. I carry a glock, so no need for dat safety.
>>
That's some uncanny valley shit right there.
>>
>>34132006

I have a p-09 with decocker and I like it a lot so I dont think Ill ever get a pistol with a safety.

But Im also Canadian and cant carry a gun so what the fuck do I know.
>>
>>34132006
In my opinion it depends on the gun.

For example, a properly holstered 1911 carried with the hammer back probably doesn't need the safety ever engaged, as the holster blocks the hammer.

Similarly, a DA/SA gun carried decocked prooobably doesn't need a safety, as the heavy first trigger pull may act as one.

It's personal preference, but having a safety available (for the safe) is probably just peace of mind, even if you never use it while carrying.
>>
>>34132006
If you like a safety, use one. If you don't, don't

If you don't carry with a round chambered, you may as well not even carry a gun.
>>
>>34132025
>I carry a glock, so no need for dat safety.
have fun with your glock leg NDs.
>>
>>34132359
Do that many people still not pull their shirt out of their holster before re-holstering?
>>
>>34132058
>carrying a condition one 1911
>not having thumb on top of safety before finishing holster draw as part of your basic muscle memory

Go back to finishing school.
>>
They're fine but I don't want one. Double action is fine, or grip-safety only (like the HK P7, or the R51 if it didn't suck).

Mandatory! If someone is physically attacking you you won't even have two hands available to rack the gun. Carry with one in the chamber if you actually want to defend yourself.
>>
>>34132359

been carrying a glock for over 12 yrs, never had that problem. plus I appendix carry, so it's it'd be my benis that get shot.
>>
I like to carry safety on round chambered.
As long as you practice, the safety comes off before the gun is leveled without even thinking.
Adds no time to the draw but makes holstering and drawing safer, could also delay someone who isn't familiar with the gun if they try to take it from you
>>
In the same way I wouldn't buy a handgun with features I wouldn't use, like interchangeable backstraps or a trigger lock, I wouldn't buy a gun without features I would use, like a safety. If a gun didn't have a safety, I would keep it without a round in the chamber. That's why I prefer DA/SA guns over strikers. At least the former pretty universally have safeties. Damn do I want a P320, though. If only it had a safety...
>>
I can't carry every day, work says I can't or I get canned. When I do carry [after 5pm and all the time on the weekends] it's either a revolver or my PPK/S. Go ahead, laugh, I don't mind.

Revolver - what's a safety? What's a round in the chamber?

PPK/S - this has a safety+decocker combo, and it's really difficult to accidentally engage the safety. That doesn't bother me at all. Round in the chamber is a must, but I carry decocked. SA is light as a feather, but DA is like pulling a bear across a field.
>>
>>34132006
Prefer to have a safety on Sao and striker fired guns. I like a decocker or no safety on sa/da guns, although I don't care if they have a safety. I practice disengaging the safety on draw with all my guns, and leave them off on the sa/da guns.

I prefer to carry with a round in the chamber. Seems odd to carry a gun without it ready to go, but I guess any gun is better than no gun.

I carry a p938 safety on, round chambered. I'm not worried about it firing while holstered, I carried it for around a month or so without a round chambered and the safety off to sooth my paranoid mind.

I know that all newly manufactured guns have Firing pin blocks, so if the trigger isn't pulled, they won't fire. In my mind, any gun that has stored energy that can hit the primer(hammer pulled back, striker pulled back) makes me uncomfortable, I know that they're perfectly safe, but it still bugs me.
>>
>>34136257
I was the same paranoid mess, anon. After a few months, you'll get less and less paranoid. The gun isn't just going to go off by itself.

It took me a week to be comfortable with a loaded gun being in my nightstand while sleeping. Now, I'm the opposite. If I don't have one, I'm paranoid as hell.
>>
I carry with an empty chamber, saftey on, magazine in my back pocket, and bullets in my sock.
>>
File: 642 special edition.jpg (583KB, 3264x1832px) Image search: [Google]
642 special edition.jpg
583KB, 3264x1832px
>>34132006
totally fine, I wouldn't want a safty on an EDC though

I really don't like that feeling, I'm not EDC, so I'm not used to it.
>I think its necessary
it definitely is
>>
>>34132025
Translation: I carry a Glock, so hate safety and I love a bullet in the chamber and another lodged in my pelvis.
>>
>>34135374
Bingo. This. Thus, why Glocks are retarded.
>>
>>34132006
I don't carry (Can't buy a handgun, too young) but my HD gun is Condition Three.
>>
Glock owner here. Love Glock for the convenience of never having to remember to move my finger 1/4 inch and push a button, this wasting three precious milliseconds. My genitals and femoral artery are a small price to pay for this convenience and increase in tactical efficiency.

I also don't drive with a seatbelt. That can cost you precious seconds exiting the vehicle in an emergency scenario. When you're a real pro like me you never get into an accident.
>>
>>34132006
>how do you feel about handgun safeties

i prefer a manual safety, but would feel comfy with a trigger safety. I do not like 100% safetyless weapons, though.

>how do you feel about carrying with a bullet in the chamber?

I do it, and feel comfy doing it in all but older hammer fired weapons that dont have safeties.

i could Israeli carry if I absolutely had to, but it's honestly deficient.
>>
>>34136479

nah, only thing retarded is you. you need that safety so badly, that means you dont trust yourself or the gun, therefore you shouldn't even carry.
>>
>>34132006
That's fine so long as it doesn't get in the way of the hand and make holding the gun feel uncomfortable.
I think that's just practical thinking. Sure you can be fast enough the chamber a round after you draw, but why waste time doing something you don't have to? Especially in a situation where you need to draw.
>>
>>34132058
What you've said is very reasonable, though with the 1911 it may still be reasonable to turn the safety on while registering in case you have a soft holster or a possible obstruction that could affect the trigger (obviously you can train around these issues). Also, some people hesitate about just leaving the safety off for fear of it accidentally engaging and slowing your response to a threat. Once again, training can compensate for the concern here, but it's certainly valid to pick a pistol that you don't have to train around
>>
>>34136511
What state do you live in? It might be possible for you to get a license
>>
File: do-i-look-hip-and-chill-to-you.jpg (43KB, 480x477px) Image search: [Google]
do-i-look-hip-and-chill-to-you.jpg
43KB, 480x477px
>>34132006

Fine either way. You're either training to flip the safety off on your draw, or your training yourself to examine your re-holstering very carefully (which you should be doing either way, technically.)

Best option imo, but requires a rigid holster that covers your trigger guard. If someone were not comfortable with it, I'd ask them to carry their pistol for a while cocked but empty chamber, and count how often they have the trigger pull.
>>
What should I do to 100% avoid ND? I don't want to get a firearm till i'm 100% sure I can avoid them.

What is the most common cause of the NDs?
>>
>>34136912
Retardation.
Don't be retarded and you won't nd.
No amount of levers or buttons will stop you from nding if you're retarded.
>>
>>34136912
If I was making a SWAG, breaking rule 3, 99% of the time. The other .9% is probably something getting in your trigger guard when re-holstering.
>>
File: 1483577011321.jpg (84KB, 700x512px) Image search: [Google]
1483577011321.jpg
84KB, 700x512px
>>34132006
having a safety is really nice for reholstering. If for whatever reason you have to draw in public, it really sucks trying to frantically/quickly shove your gun back into the holster while not shooting yourself at the same time.

If you're using a modern, striker fired carry gat with a trigger safety, and a holster that is easy to shove your gun into, you probably won't need a manual safety.

However, I'm not the type to say a gun is bad because it has a manual safety. I carry a shield w/ safety and it's a great gun.
>>
>>34137027
> It really sucks trying to frantically/quickly shove your gun back into the holster.

What happened where you needed to do this? Police?
>>
>>34137049
domestic dispute. I was driving down a neighborhood street and some nog tackled somebody in the middle of the road and proceeded to beat their face in.

I stopped, got out, and drew my gun because I was concerned he was gonna kill him. Once I pulled my piece he stopped. At this point all the neighbors start coming out, and I see a police car come around the corner a couple blocks down and start roaring towards me.

I think having a safety saved my ass that day, or at least helped. I clicked it on and was able to get my gun reholstered without shooting myself, before a good Samaritan neighbor or cop misunderstood the situation and shot me.
>>
>>34137027
I carry a glock so no safety, but I side waistband it with a kydex micro clip to cover the trigger guard attached to a string on my belt, so I able to "holster" muh gun while aiming in a safe direction, then slipping it into my waistband. Not sure how quickly I could do it though, probably not as fast as an true IWB holster
>>
>>34132306
>If you don't carry with a round chambered, you may as well not even carry a gun
Why od you people keep saying this stupid shit?

Yeah, not having a chamber will get you killed in a number of scenarios where you won't have enough time ot chamber a round. There is however a number of scenarios where you will have enough time to chamber a round.

It's like saying that if you don't carry a rifle, body armor and a helmet 24/7 you might as well not carry at all.
>>
>>34136801
>glockfags actually believe this
>>
>>34132036
Underrated post.
>>
>>34132006
>safeties?
i like them. When used properly they make an ND while holstering/unholstering orders of magnitude less likely. Chances are you'll only draw a firearm once in anger, but you will practice that draw dozens of times a week for most of your life if you're serious about self defense. If you carry AIWB(like me) an ND could quite possibly prove fatal. When you practice consistently, rain or sun, sweaty or numb, the possibility that your finger might be placed imperfectly and slip into the guard or that an article of clothing might get caught on your trigger is low but not zero. Nobody is perfect, and reducing my chances of an ND during the most dangerous part of firearms handling to near zero is worth losing .1s on my draw.

>round in chamber?
Absolute necessity. If you think it isnt then you need to watch more clips of people who israeli carry getting killed while they chamber a round. I know I've seen at least half a dozen in the last several years and that combined with my pre existent dislike for the practice is good enough for me
>>
>>34139033
> Why do you people keep saying this stupid shit?

Because it always brings in the replies.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.