[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How accurately does Threads depict a nuclear conflict? Would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 12

File: threads.jpg (505KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
threads.jpg
505KB, 1280x720px
How accurately does Threads depict a nuclear conflict? Would a modern day nuclear conflict still look the same? Whatever happened to the nuke threads and generals?
>>
>watched this film when I was 8
That was a fun Christmas Day.
>>
File: IMG_2773.png (20KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2773.png
20KB, 640x480px
>tfw I live in bumfuck nowhere New Zealand and have enough land to grow and hunt my own shit.
>>
File: threads.webm (3MB, 1200x912px) Image search: [Google]
threads.webm
3MB, 1200x912px
>>34131418
>How accurately does Threads depict a nuclear conflict?
very.
https://vimeo.com/18781528
>>
>>34131418
In a lot of ways yes. particularly in england. Pretty high population density there.

Frankly id imagine that the depth of the shit hole you'd find yourself in would be largely determined by the population density of your area. even cities or burbs that aren't hit might find themselves in a violent free for all situation rather quickly. Truly rural communities would likely escape this for the most part, until the refugees filter out to their areas. All down hill from there.

Gonna be a lot of sick and hungry people mumbling about how "we waz kangz" who have and are watching their loved ones die. They're going to need somebody to be mad at and that's going to be all the country folk who still have everything. Pretty obvious how that's gonna end up.
>>
>>34131541
this is the fallout from a likely nuclear war scenario in the US
this isn't counting the meltdowns that some nuclear reactors will have without human intervention or even if they've been breached by a nuclear explosion.

Australia would literally be like the first and second Mad Max movies.
New Zealand would become feudal Japan
>>
>>34131609
>nuclear energy is unsafe maymay
Reactors shitscram themselves these days.
>>
>>34131418
>How accurately does Threads depict a nuclear conflict?

Totally subjective as it has never actually happened.
>>
>>34132000
>Totally subjective as it has never actually happened.
Tell Japan that
>>
>>34131609
First, that map could be widly different depending on wind conditions.

Second, nuclear plants can, and will, shut themselves down if they're left alone. I wouldn't worry about them.

Where is OPpenheimer when you need him?
>>
File: captcha shig.jpg (40KB, 375x411px) Image search: [Google]
captcha shig.jpg
40KB, 375x411px
>>34132014
>Japan
>nuclear conflict
>>
>>34131418
Nuke threads pretty much ended when Oppenheimer was doxxed
>>
>>34131541

>They're going to need somebody to be mad at and that's going to be all the country folk who still have everything. Pretty obvious how that's gonna end up.

Yeah, a lot of dead bodies from starvation and exposure. You don't even need to put rounds into them for them to die. The average city Redguard that would wander out to the countryside would completely out of his element and have no bearing on what to do or combat ol' Bubba and Cletus that decided to emplace themselves within thick foliage conveniently across from their house with a few hundred rounds of 30-06 and .308 waiting for a few Redguards to think it is an easy target.
>>
>>34131975
>>34132033
yeah most plants shut themselves down, but its still radioactive material with a couple dozen million year half life.

even the spent nuclear pools and related human maintained pumps that maintain those pools take 10-20 years to "cool off" a used core let alone a currently active core.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spent_fuel_pool

thorium needs to replace them
>>
>>34131418
>Whatever happened to the nuke threads and generals?

Some low life piece of shit faggot doxxed Oppenheimer, who was the subject matter expert of all things nuclear and was arguably one of the, if not the, most chill and knowledgeable trip this board had ever seen.
>>
File: Threads more.webm (2MB, 604x444px) Image search: [Google]
Threads more.webm
2MB, 604x444px
>210 megatons fall on the UK

I don't know about realism but that seems like complete overkill to me, even during the height of the cold war
>>
>>34131418
At the time it was made, it was pretty accurate.

These days, not so much
>>
>>34131461
So, was the baby just stillborn, mutated, or both?
>>
>>34131609
>this is the fallout from a likely nuclear war scenario in the US
No its not.

>>34132033
>Where is OPpenheimer when you need him?
Around.

>>34132360
At the time, it was within their capabilities.
Not anymore.
>>
>>34132380
What doesn't apply now?
>>
>>34132380
>These days, not so much
other than the fact the nuclear devices have changed to multistage smaller warheads, communications technology is much more advanced and the cold war and soviet union are both over.
not much is different
>>
>>34132428
Pretty similar to every invasion of Russia.
Not much is different.
>>
>>34132427
>>34132428

The number of warheads has changed significantly, as has their deployment. This significantly changes the shape of a nuclear exchange.
>>
>>34132472
the targets relatively remain the same, there are fewer ICBMs required as the warheads are smaller and are more numerous per ICBM which means less overkill and less missile sites required
>>
>>34132412
>>34132472
>>34132380

I want to believe.
>>
>>34132711
>the targets relatively remain the same
No, the targets have largely shifted to counterforce. The Russians won't have many nukes to deliver to the UK as most will be used against the US.
>>
File: 1493794504126.png (155KB, 640x844px) Image search: [Google]
1493794504126.png
155KB, 640x844px
>>34131438
oi yeah lad best country on earth
>>
>>34131418
1965 Wargame is better
>>
>>34132915
Habeeb it.
>>
>>34132390
Mutant. Even though that's bullshit, any fetus that took enough rads to be mutated would be stillborn.
>>
>>34131609
That map is full of shit.
>>
>>34135907
Yep. So is the targeting map that people keep posting
>>
File: 1495714938365.png (673KB, 684x421px) Image search: [Google]
1495714938365.png
673KB, 684x421px
*knock knock*

look outside and see this
>>
>someone doxxed OPpenheimer
wow
just wow

Nigger-tier doesn't even begin to describe that shit.
>>
>>34135972

How is this related to the discussion of nuclear weapons and their targets?
>>
>>34135907
So are the "facts" and assumptions posted with it.
>>
>>34135983
That happened some time ago. Oppen stopped tripping for the most part because of all the drama that would erupt when he would post.
>>
>>34132033
The mods deleted Openhiemer threads. "They were about geopolitics, not weapons". Faggots.
>>
>>34136002
It was mostly because vatniks got buttmad at being told they were wrong so they did nonstop shitposting
>>
There will be another Oppenheimer hosted nuclear thread after the Nuclear Posture Review Comes out.
>>
>>34135987
nuclear weapons genocide everyone equally, non whites only genocide whites.
>>
Nuclear winter is a meme.

Otherwise it's pretty good.
>>
>>34131609
>grand forks afb targeted
>minot clean
BS, all the silos are in minot now. Like half the silos in the country. All the GFAFB ones were demo'd in the 2000s.
>>
>>34131609
>SUPERIOR NEW ZEALAND SHEEP SHEERS, METAL FOLDED 100000 TIMES
>>
This movie is so goddamn terrifying.
>>
File: 1494641287794.jpg (46KB, 839x469px) Image search: [Google]
1494641287794.jpg
46KB, 839x469px
>>34137181
Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter
>>
>>34131609
If the Ruskies were going to nuke the US, why wouldn't they sling a couple at Oregon as well?

It seems to be virtually untouched?
>>
>>34138177
One reason is that there is nothing to nuke in Oregon. The other is that this map is not really all that accurate.
>>
>>34132360
what's with ET @ 24 seconds?
>>
>>34131541
not really.
city people would die out in a few days.

countryfolk here all have rifles and shotguns and more than a few own illegal guns from ww2.
you'd have a few stragglers who managed to survive go to the rural communities and get killed immediatly tbqh.
>>
>>34138177
There's nothing to nuke in Oregon.
I've seen some projections have the portland metro area, maybe salem and maybe bend (for some reason)
To that, I say good riddance
>>
>>34131438
Did NZ ever bother with nuclear planning or did they just rely on the fact nobody would bother nuking them?

(I mean, circa Muldoon with red stars on the flag and the most regulated economy outside the USSR anyway, so I mean...)
>>
>>34135903
Couldn't it just be a downie or something?
>>
>>34138467
Glad I wasn't the only one!
>>
>>34135907
>>34135953

So what are some accurate maps then? Post them if you have them.
>>
>>34140036
No we just made shrieking noises until the US didn't have U boats anywhere near us, and just relied on the fact that the USSR didn't care enough to nuke us.
>>
>>34140341
Me too man wtf.

>captcha camden gasthaus
>>
>>34137181
I, too wish to have relations with a science!america robot.
>>
>>34138467
They probably wanted to use a then-contemporary toy to drive the "THIS IS YOU" point home. I mean, a burning teddy bear could be any time in the 20th century. A modern version might have a melting tablet or RC quadrotor.
>>
>>34132260
No. We need to stop being such fucking pussies about nuclear proliferation. Spent fuel pools are only needed because we put the 20% used fuel there instead of extracting the sweet, sweet plutonium, the nice medical isotopes, and the stable stuff, and then bombard the rest until its either useful or stable with neutron spallation. We do this because no one trusts anyone else with their 80% unused fuel, since there's a useable amount of plutonium in it. When you let a country with illusions of gramdeur have heavy water reactors, suddenly they will start having "peaceful nuclear explosions" while nearby streets suddenly have shit flying in the air.
>>
>>34137730
lolol
>>
>>34131418
I don't know why when cvilization regresses to medeival times that the kids can't speak English. The writers do know that basic language aquisition comes from the parents or guardians during early childhood, not educational institutions, right?
>>
>>34131609
>Australia would literally be like the first and second Mad Max movies.

No it wouldn't 'Literally' be like the first and second mad max movies
>>
>>34132412
How would the Southern Hemisphere fair in an 1985 Nuclear exchange?
>>
>>34132043
Which time? He was doxxed about 3 times, finally quit tripping because some demented anon was stalking him.

Or some shit like that.
>>
>>34132412
Something about this posting style seems familiar.
>>
>>34142287
Pretty good physically. Economically would be a different deal.
>>
>>34132915
Oh, it's the real deal. In his farewell speech he said he would post occasionally as Anon. I've seen a few threads where a mysterious anon swoops in, silences the squabbling autists with a few posts of impeccable nuclear logic, and disappears back into the depths of the internet.
>>
>>34142476
Would there be a refugee crisis the likes of which may never be seen again?
>>
>>34131418
Not very.

>Square Leg was criticised for a number of reasons: the weapons used were exclusively in the high-yield megaton range, with an average of 1.5 megatons per bomb, but a realistic attack based on known Soviet capabilities would have seen mixed weapons yields, including many missile-based warheads in the low hundred kiloton range. Also, while obvious targets in Inner London are attacked (for example, Whitehall, the centre of British government), towns such as Eastbourne are also hit for no obvious reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_Leg

Looks like it was primarily a political scare the children op, versus an actual assessment of what could happen. Better red than dead and all that.
>>
>>34132412
>>34131418

If I understand being the victim of a nuclear attack correctly, first comes a blinding light, and with it, incredible heat. After a delay, comes a pressure wave (this is based on questions I asked previously from watching early atomic bomb test videos, the ones you've all seen)

My question is twofold:

1) Is it possible to be far enough away from the blast, the I only feel a gentle increase in heat, and then a gentle wave of pressure, equivalent to a gust of summer wind

2) If the above is possible, if I was far enough away to only feel maybe 10ºF increase in temperature, would that mean I'm close enough to be fucked in terms of radiation exposure?

I've been following nuke threads since OP started his threads with pictures of trinitie, and I've learned a lot about tactics and strategy and surviving the blast but I still have a hard time equating the radiation exposure part into real life terms
>>
>>34142770

>trinitite
>>
>>34142770
1) Yes

2) No. In general, if you are close enough to worry about rads from prompt radiation, the thermal pulse has given you serious burns, and the blast wave is about to crush everything around you thats not a reinforced building.
>>
>Keep meaning to watch this movie
>This thread shows up, I watch the whole thing
>Now going to bed

Well, endless nightmares for me then. Thanks /k/.
>>
>>34142889

Thank you.

So I guess at that point, if I've survived the "summer breeze" I just have to worry about fallout?
>>
>>34142945
Well at least that's one less person who'll participate in "nuclear war survival XD" threads so that's a plus.
>>
>>34131438
The Government will force all landowners to join a registry and plant and harvest in a certain way and report how much fuel, fertillizer, manure, and seed you have. failure to register will be punished with confiscation. a unit of military police will show up at your farm and tell you they are collectivizing it. before that, bands of bandits and thiefs will turn up at night to steal fuel and food supplies from you while they hold you at gunpoint.
>>
>>34143049

Now there needs to be a movie about a lone, awkward Kiwi with a bolt action and a pistol of questionable legality defending his farm from fascists, in a picturesque wood cabin/house, and every scene is at sunset
>>
>>34132076
you're delusional. when SHTF, you wont ride it out like some turner diary fantasy. Farm attacks in south Africa have killed more than a thousand whites. I guess they weren't smart enough to defend themselves? hell, not even South Africa, but in America, Thousands of tractors get stolen off farms every year. even if the lowest crime countries on earth, 450 excavators were stolen in Japan, and 800 excavators were stolen in Britian, in just one year.
>>
>>34142287
Read 'on the beach'

Cool book, takes place in Australia. Northern hemisphere accidentaly's itself with dank cobalt bombs, now uninhabitable. Down under is pretty chill about it.

Then the radiation starts creeping south.
>>
>>34131438
someday i dream australia invades your country and dumps their abbos upon you
>>
>>34143243
Well I have a boot action and some pines around the edges of my property, not sure if a portacom with a internet dish on it is the aesthetic your looking for though.
>>
>>34132043
He still posts but that said he's responded to these Threads threads multiple times in the past. It's a dead horse.
Nuclear winter is nonsense. Even a beleaguered Japan did better than Europe in the movie. It's just such an absolutely worst case scenario it becomes kind of absurd. 2/3 of all residences in the UK destroyed? It takes them a fucking decade to resume any sort of production. And it just goes on like that.
>>
>>34143421
Mate, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
>>
>>34142076
>basic language comes from parents
I think the idea is that most of the parents died of cancer, radiation poisoning, disease, starvation, ect. so they are unable to teach the next generation anything of value.
>>
>>34131461
Well that was depressing.
>>
>>34131461
Jesus christ, that's terrifying.
Where did the best friend go?
He just up and disappeared after skinning the sheep
>>
>>34132427
The US can't coup Iran to be US friendly anymore.
There goes the pretext for the naval blockade and Russian and US interventions into Iran and the b-52 nuking
>>
File: Australia Nuclear War.jpg (174KB, 1252x913px) Image search: [Google]
Australia Nuclear War.jpg
174KB, 1252x913px
>>34131418
>Meanwhile in Australia
>>
>>34131418

I think I know a respectable amount about nuclear war...

>Nuclear winter late into the film.

V.Unlikely today. If the winter model is correct then it would require multi-megaton counter-value exchanges to occur at all, in order to provide all the dust, and massive systemic fires across cities to loft it still higher. This appears to be bullshit from the start because soviet tests indicated that multi-megaton detonations tended to LEVEL innner city centers leaving smouldering rubble. Even MIRVs with much smaller warheads detonating over a wider area seem likely to *poof* blow each others fires out...so bullshit probably

>Ozone destruction.

Again. Very unlikely given that only a few high altitude bursts are necessary for the EMP effect to work on civilian infrastructure.

>Everything else in the film...inclding destruction and starvation

Horrificaly close to the mark as far as it goes. Interestingly, ken livingstone, former mayor of London once let slip on TV that he had seen the war plans for london and there was intended to be a cordon around the city to prevent the survivors from simply fanning out across england like fucking locusts. Also, at the risk of making this a geopolitics thread, it is very very unlikely this sort of global war will ever occur.

Some people are talking about nuclear reactors in this thread and how they're gonna getcha...morons need to look up how reactors work and consider WHY the reactors would not be shut down by their crews. Also, there's a few "MEGA RADIATION" images circulating...again, people need to remember these maps are old as fuck and represent multimegaton ground bursts which will, of course, produce much more latent radiation.
>>
>>34144684

Also, the multi-megaton ground burts were the result of poor delivery vehicles, which is no longer a factor.

You have to remember that in a nuclear war between great powers you don't just want to roasty toasty the enemy for the fuck of it, they HAD to have things like the tsar bomb because of the inability to target well or counter-fire after the first strike. Not the case now. IDEALLY you want your enemy brought so low you would have to kneel down to spit on him but all his SHIT and his WORKERS intact then you say

"Aww leeme tell yah yawl gorn pay for the damage u did gimme some exports u hear" / "Americana fascist. You supply motherland with what you owe now for starting bad time nuke war yes good".

Why just level everything if you don't need to anymore...and you don't.
>>
File: image_0.jpg (64KB, 468x604px) Image search: [Google]
image_0.jpg
64KB, 468x604px
>>34131418
>Tfw I live in Central Oregon and the only nuke hit would be Portland
The fallout wouldn't even affect our watershed.
>>
>>34144905
god bless.
if only nukes would solve washington's spic, nigger, and democrat problems. purging the northern i-5 corridor it would be a glorious thing, maybe spiccane as an added bonus but the remnants of the bracero program are all over up here.
>>
>>34142794
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinitite
>>
>>34132033
If I were to hazard a guess, this map is likely based on prevailing wind directions.
>>
>>34143415
Its not very accurate.
>>
>>34135903
>Mutant. Even though that's bullshit, any fetus that took enough rads to be mutated would be stillborn.

Depends on where they were in development when the blast occurred. Early first trimester would lead to likely fatal neural tube deformity. Several months in may have some more... interesting... developmental effects.
>>
>>34137139
>non whites only genocide whites
>Pol Pot
>Idi Amin
>Hutu vs Tutsi
>Turks vs Armenians

Low effort. First four examples that came to mind. But that there fancy book learnin's never been a thing for degenerate race baiters like you.
>>
>>34144684
This film was made before the likely effects of a Nuclear war were all that well understood, that's why the Nuclear winter and ozone depletion stuff is unrealistic
>>
>>34145456
>>34135903
The baby is born years after the bomb has hit, the mutation is probably from the mother subsisting on nutritionally poor food grown in irradiated soil for years
>>
Bumpo
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.