[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have I Gone Too Far, OR Not Far Enough?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (7KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 300x168px
I was inspired by the game "Children of a Dead Earth" to add procedural-generated ammo and weapons to a text-based game I wrote in C++. I currently have tables of elemental metals (lead, copper, carbon (diamond spec.), uranium, tungsten) w/ their densities, hardness, and cost, as well as various bullets (.223, .45-70, .308 Winchester, .30-06, .600 Overkill) with their projectile volume, case volume, and gunpowder that is needed to propel it down the barrel. Now I also created some ammo types; hardcast (1 material), FMJ (10% of vol. is casing, 90% is filling), and HP (80% of base vol. w/ a bonus to base DMG where applicable).

Where I think I'm taking this too far is that I have a 3rd table for explosive materials (ONC, HMX, TNT) to be used for HE rounds (5% of vol. is detonation material, 10% casing, & 85% explosive material), then a 4th table for SRB propellants (Nitroglycerin, Ammonium Nitrate, Aluminum Nitrate) for "Bellerophon Rounds" which are HE rounds with reduced explosive material, but has an SRB on the back to accelerate the projectile while in the air (5% Detonation Material, 55% Explosive Material, 10% casing, 30% SRB Fuel).

I'm now 5 pages deep into an article explaining how bullets are propelled down a gun barrel and JUST NOW I'm wondering if I've taken this too far. Or not far enough as I'm also under the impression that some firearm god is guiding my hand.
>>
>>34115556
No such thing as 'going to far'
You are guided by the Heavens
>>
Sounds cool, it would allow for OP meta shit like how the right mix of artifacts in stalker would heal you and repair you stuff. But remember that if the game isn't fun to play then all the simulation and platforms for emergent gamplay in the world will be lipstick on a pig.
>>
> be a monster in some autist's game
> find player
> attack
> he shoots first
> get hit w/ .600 Overkill round made from diamonds and TNT accelerated in the air by a rocket out the back
> bullet explodes inside guts
> diamond fragments rip and tear my guts
> dead and in pieces all over the battlefield
>>
File: 1488922750172.png (377KB, 375x667px) Image search: [Google]
1488922750172.png
377KB, 375x667px
>>34115556
Keep going.
>>
Link to article?
>>
I only use 8ga regolith shells for HD
>>
>>34115658

OP here. This is the article on internal ballastics:

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/papers/2008/P4466.pdf
>>
>>34115556
Welcome /tg/ man. Bullets are propelled by a blast that usually is behind the bullet ether inside the barrel or in the case behind the bullet. Bullet is no longer being pushed when it exits the barrel. Actual explosive shells are activated by fuses to explode ether on contact or a timed delay. You are going for rocket assisted motors in bullets for increased mid flight velocity but unfortunately it is not small arms capable to provide much boost.
>>
it's nice to have "realist" but will ppl really use all these gig?
>>
>>34115556
>text game
>have I gone too far?

Nigga, it's not 1981. If you wrote a text game you didn't go far enough.
>>
>>34115692
OP here. I was inspired by the gyrojet bolters from Warhammer 40k; frivilously badass & unconventional IRL. If you read my original post HE & Belleros Rounds have "Detonation Material", which, in-canon, is an impact detonator that activates if the bullet hits the target fast enough (I have it in my notes as 700m/s).
>>
>>34115802
OP here.
> 40 hours/week job
> College
Like I have time to make sprite sheets & animations
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.