[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rust Bluing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 2_zpsffc926bb.jpg (87KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2_zpsffc926bb.jpg
87KB, 640x480px
Anyone done it? Any tips for a first-timer?

Planning on picking up a beat up S&W Model 36 and breathing some life back into it. If nothing else it'll serve as a good learning experience.
>>
They make a rust blue finish in a bottle. Never used it but it might be easier than actually letting it rust.
>>
>>34106336
Thats a touch up solution, it looks like ass if you do the whole gun in it, and it also smells like cat piss.

I've done rust bluing before, its a bit of work, but if you have a spare pot or two to do it in (go look at goodwill), and some wire coat hangers, its fun for the first couple coats, then it gets kinda old desu. Iirc theres a site online you can get higher quality/different shade solutions, I just made my own using table salt and h2o2 iirc, could be wrong about the mix, its been a couple years.
>>
>>34106258
hot bluing is better
>>
>>34106394
Enlighten me anon. How so?
>>
>>34106449
its real bluing for one
>>
>>34106459
You do realize rust bluing predates hot bluing and is the only method that works on soldered components. Also that it offers superior resistance to damage because it isn't just a chemical coating.
Hot bluing was developed because rust bluing is labor intensive and time consuming when done en-masse.
>>34106449
Rust bluing takes time but can be done in your garage on a small scale. On older firearms it's also the correct finish and does provide a bit more control of overall final appearance. You just need a lot of free time but you wouldn't need all the equipment hot bluing requires.
>>
>>34106258
the fuck is that? do u just literally let the gun rust?
>>
>>34106728
[._.?]
>>
>>34106728
Yes and no. Like any other blue method, you have to degrease the fuck out of it and already have the gun down to bare metal.

Force the rust with a type of salt solution, let it go for a few minutes, and then force the conversion process (the part where the red turns black, FeO2 -> Fe2O3).

The process itself is truly fascinating. I know I lost about a week of my life just researching it because I was curious.
>>
>>34106728

The didn't pick the name "rust bluing" randomly out of a hat.
>>
File: 1485899369189.jpg (8KB, 240x193px) Image search: [Google]
1485899369189.jpg
8KB, 240x193px
>>34106258
you have to use de-ionized water, that is water with the minerals removed.

I buy it in gallon jugs at walmart.

Don't forget to wash off the salt + peroxide solution if you use that to make it rust up.

Don't be afraid of putting a decently shiny finish on the metal, it really takes a mirror finish before it won't rust easily.

Make sure you degrease it good and buy or make a special tool for "carding" off the black rust.

Black rust scraping off is like nails on a chalkboard, so horrible.
>>
>Model 36

Are you experienced in disassembling and reassembling these? A lot of people make mistakes regarding these when it comes to anything more complex than just taking the sideplate off and cleaning the internals.
>>
File: 1485242363840.jpg (32KB, 628x504px) Image search: [Google]
1485242363840.jpg
32KB, 628x504px
>>34106871
>Experience

No, not exactly. I have seen a couple of disassembly videos and will have plenty of time to mess with it.

Is there something I should be worried about?
>>
Based Larry Potterfield has a pretty good video on the basics.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.