[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 44

>Discord https://discord.gg/0y3eBT
Can anyone tell me about the 32 Series of the army? Interrogation Intelligence? My friend is striving to be that and I want to know more about it!
>>
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253

Whoops.
>>
does someone want to make an actually properly set up thread or am i just gonna sit here alone waiting for replies
>>
I'm in high school about to take the ASVAB, what Army MOS has the greatest chance to see combat or be deployed in the Middle East? I'm looking into doing a 2-year contract after I graduate.
>>
>>34105313
11b
>>
I have heard conflicting things on 25u.

Some say it's a lot of sitting around, combined with long work days (of nothing), or playing infantry.
Others say it's a more generalized 25 series and you'll do more work usually relegated to specific 25x MOS.
Playing at 25b (a bad MOS, by the talk) comes up at times, but that seems like it has to do with the base and Needs of the Army, so all 25 series are at risk for becoming help desk.

Anyone with experience?
>>
>>34105313
>deployment during peace time army

KEK

It's always going to the be total grunt MOS, and they're also going to be the ones where you stay for 20 years because you don't get any relevant non-army skills, and if you leave before 20 years, you don't get the pension you're going to need to pay for pain meds because of your ruined back and knees.

>talking to a recruiter already but doesn't know even the most basic of all basic MOS
>>
I'm getting sick of college and work, and I've been thinking about joining the crayon-eaters for the first time since I was an angsty 14 year old who watched one too many Marine commercials. Have any of you been at this point, and would it be worth it to go talk to a recruiter?
>>
>>34105313
>I'm looking into doing a 2-year contract after I graduate
dude, there will NEVER be a 2 year combat MOS contract. Youre looking at a 4 year at the LEAST.
>>
I am currently 25 years old turning 26 in november. I am also about to start my university semester for undergraduate degree and have also recieved an AA in arabic in the meantime. Should I continue with my degree or take a hiatus and go for 11b with opt 40 to see some middle east countries.
>>
>>34106061
Write down how you feel and stick it out for another month. Don't rush into a 3-5 year decision.
>>
>>34106244
Stay in school.
>>
How do i get an option 40? do i just ask and they give it to me? Or do i have to do well on the pt and asvab? I know it is up to the recruiter but how do they decide you should get one>? 11b by the way
>>
>>34107030
Decent enough on both and there has to be an available slot. It isnt hard to get. Just ask. The short pipeline is tough but not impossible. Decide to finish and you will.
>>
>>34105393

It could be any of those things depending on your unit.

25B is a fine MOS, it's the "official" IT support MOS but in reality those duties are often shared among several 25-series.
>>
>>34104649
>You don't want to touch index funds until you've maxed out your tax-advantaged retirement accounts. That means 5.5k/yr in an IRA, and 18.5k/yr into the 401k(TSP).
damn thats a ton of monies,

I saw the lifecycle fund but it also has like 20% of the monies going into G funds
what do you stick it into
>>
>>34106236

There are currently 2 year contracts in the Army and have been for months. They're mostly for "combat jobs" (IE, low/short training) so you have no idea what you're talking about.

2 year contracts suck though, do not do them. They do not give full benefits and come with a non-IRR reserve obligation.
>>
>>34107030

It is NOT up to the recruiter. They don't get to decide. PT score and ASVAB also don't really matter for Option 40 as long as you bare-minimum qualify for the job.

It's RASP's job to filter out people who can't make it, not the recruiter. They will absolutely let you sign a contract with a failing PT score. All that matters is whether the slot is there.
>>
File: 1494488801803.png (266KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
1494488801803.png
266KB, 665x574px
>friend tells me that if one has a bachelor's degree they can go straight to officer training when joining the military
>considering national guard part time just to be an officer
How stupid am I for this temptation?
>>
>>34107102
I know there are 150 slots a month for 11b, do those usually fill up quickly? I imagine they would, if that's the case would i have to wait a while before getting it?
>>
>>34107116

"150 slots a month" is sort of a meme. It's not like on the 1st of every month they open them up. That's just roughly their yearly recruiting goal divided by 12.

Slots opening up is much more haphazard and random, it can happen at pretty much any time. Let your recruiter know what you want and be patient.
>>
>>34107107

It depends on what you want out of it. Officers in the guard end up doing a lot of extra work on the side, but you get a pretty good amount of money for your weekend drill. You also need to have a good GPA, not just a degree.

Keep in mind that guard retirement isn't the same as active duty retirement.
>>
What's Parris Island like? What's the weather like during the fall?
>>
>>34107082

Yeah, most people are not maxing out their retirement accounts unless they're making six figures. It's possible to max out your TSP in the military, but it usually means you're putting >50% of your base pay into it.

The lifecycle fund is diversified automatically depending on how far you are from your target retirement date. It always has a portion in the G fund because that's a "smart" move in case the market takes a shit.

If you want to take on more risk for potentially higher gain, you can put in the I, S, or C funds directly. Those are different stock market funds within the TSP.

You can also target a later retirement date. IE, you plan to retire in 2040 but select the 2060 fund. That will increase your risk/reward.
>>
File: 1486497110151.gif (1010KB, 233x226px) Image search: [Google]
1486497110151.gif
1010KB, 233x226px
>>34107213
>You also need to have a good GPA, not just a degree.
Shit
>>
What military for MOS be if you took for me that ASVAB without too. 35F or 68W yes?
>>
File: IMG_0549.png (146KB, 671x519px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0549.png
146KB, 671x519px
>>34107708
>>
File: 1490831723073.jpg (4MB, 2656x4380px) Image search: [Google]
1490831723073.jpg
4MB, 2656x4380px
looking to go 19D, what does a normal day look like? lots of night recon?

what was osut like?
>>
>>34105313
There is no two year.

All contracts will be a minimum of 8 for enlisted with the lowest active duty time of 3 years and 5 IRR.
>>
>>34104971
>Military Enlistment
been there done that
will tell you not to bother
>>
>>34108704
lots of dick sucking
>>
File: 1487188057735.jpg (93KB, 887x960px) Image search: [Google]
1487188057735.jpg
93KB, 887x960px
>>34108922
good one armchair, did you google that one?
>>
>>34107708
You'll fit right in with infantry, just sign on the dotted line, son!
>>
Was watching a movie (war machine) about the war in Afghanistan last night. After they killed a civilian they pulled out a bag of money and gave a pre packed bag of money to the family. Is this a thing in the burger millitary ? Do they trust infantry with large bags of money ? Seems like bullshit to me.
>>
>>34108704
Telling everyone you meet that you're "basically infantry"
>>
>>34109231
What does this have to do with military enlistment?
Of course that's bullshit
>>
>>34109259
Not much but didn't want to make a whole new thread for something I suspected as bullshit.
>>
What are the chances of changing MOS after a contract? Going from combat to signal corps? 11B to 25L
>>
>>34108859

Your information is straight-up outdated and wrong. The Army is currently offering 2/2/4 active/reserve/irr contracts under the National Call to Service program. They do this periodically to plus up numbers.
>>
>>34109609

Depends on how badly they need you in your current MOS vs. the one you want to transfer into.

Recruiters make it seem like switching jobs after one contract is a common thing that everyone can do, but realistically you probably won't be able to.
>>
File: 1400538088489.jpg (111KB, 998x800px) Image search: [Google]
1400538088489.jpg
111KB, 998x800px
Just spoke to my recruiter. They weren't nearly as pushy as I had expected.

Does it get worse later on?
>>
If you're in a critically manned AFSC can you still Palace Chase?
>>
>>34106244
>get 11b with option 40
>Sex with Margot Robbie
>Not having a guy watch you pee at meps
All of these are impossible anon
>>
>>34107708
Join the marines
>>
>>34109850
It got worse in my case.
Told gunny I want infantry. At first he's all for it. "I'll make sure you get it" couple weeks go by making progress with enlisting and he's telling me, and I shit you not "so you want ground infantry or are you open to tanks and artillery as well? Those are also infantry-like jobs"
>>
>>34110432
how is getting options worse?
>>
>>34110466
The pushyness is what I'm referring to as "getting worse"
At first he wasn't pushy about anything.
Now he's pushy about getting me into a job I don't want.
>>
>was a medic for 4 years
>infantry platoon medic for a long time, short stint as a recon medic
>did 4 years
>unit never deployed during my time because nowars
>got out
>going to college
>miss the action and camaraderie and structure
>want to go back in
>don't want to be anything else but infantry or forward observer

Should I do it? I've been out 10 months. Or should I wait for WWIII to kick off?
>>
>>34110485
time to man up and tell him you're only interested in infantry.
>>
File: 19D.jpg (59KB, 500x322px) Image search: [Google]
19D.jpg
59KB, 500x322px
>>34108704
You cant pick more of a faggot MOS than 19D
>>
>>34110502
Never said I didn't.
Great assumption though.
>>
>>34110546
>wahh gunny is being pushy!!!!

man up
>>
File: frog sashimi.jpg (40KB, 703x383px) Image search: [Google]
frog sashimi.jpg
40KB, 703x383px
Is it easy enough to be guaranteed a job for the Air Force? Navy guy their contracts are can, but idk how I feel about being on a boat.
>>
File: 1486522596703.png (208KB, 405x438px) Image search: [Google]
1486522596703.png
208KB, 405x438px
>>34110513
how small? 5"6, 5"7?
>>
>>34110642

For a critically manned job you can get it in your contract, but usually you get to pick your top 10.
>>
File: image.jpg (1010KB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1010KB, 1936x2592px
>>34110742
Do you get to pick from your top 10 under normal circumstances? I don't want to submit my top 10 and get something else, if its on the contract, I'm getting one of them right?
>>
File: tank.gif (115KB, 448x336px) Image search: [Google]
tank.gif
115KB, 448x336px
I'm going to enlist in the Army and I'm married. Depending on my duty station, my wife may or may not come with me. If she does, we agreed to live on-post at first so our transition will be easier. My question is, how long do you have to live on-post when you agree to? Is there a specific time frame like a lease? Can you decide to move off-post at any time?
>>
>>34110828

Quite probably. You'll probably get what you want, but it isn't guaranteed.
>>
>>34110836

On-post lease is usually 1 year. Living on post is hit or miss depending on the station. If you don't have kids it isn't usually worth it, but it is safe/convenient in terms of getting to stuff on post (grocery store, gym, and work).
>>
>>34110874
We don't have kids. Is it usually better to live off-post and try to collect extra BAH?
>>
>>34104971
>be me, 18, HS Junior
>gone to a college prep school since first grade
>want to be an Army Ranger out of HS, but my parents want me to do college first

What do? I want to serve my country and operate hard as fuck, but I also want to make my parents happy. They say go in as an officer, that they don't want me to be cannon fodder, that I won't get paid as much. But I know riding a desk for four years after ANOTHER four years of grinding school would suck shit. ESPECIALLY if I couldn't graduate RASP and was just another officer in big Army
>>
>>34111098
If you have the chance to go to college, do it.
>>
>>34111098
>>34111115

Nah nah, he should go Army first, realize how much not having a college education limits him in both career advancement and pay, then be grateful for his college later.
>>
>>34111098
>They say go in as an officer

Every single fucking person in the world who has never served says this and it never stops being bullshit. It's bullshit for two reasons: 1. They want the absolute creme of the crop when it comes to OCS. You need to blow your fucking physicals out of the water to even stand a fighting chance, and even then you probably won't cut it.

2. Everyone says to go to OCS rather than enlisting because "you want to be the one giving orders, not receiving them." Almost every respectable officer I've served with is prior enlisted, and they were the ones who actually earned respect unlike Bootenant Schmuckatelli who thought he was too good to rake leaves or mop the floors.
>>
File: 1368478948460.png (312KB, 605x615px) Image search: [Google]
1368478948460.png
312KB, 605x615px
>>34111167
I also forgot to mention, prepare to wait YEARS to even get your foot in the door for OCS. Buddy of mine took out a loan, got his 4-year, got buried in over 100k dollars in debt, waited almost THREE YEARS to get into Marine Corps OCS, and then got dropped because he wasn't up to task. If you honestly think you've got the abilities then absolutely go for it, but keep in mind that the drop rate is about 45-50%. 1 out of 2 people will not make it and there's a very good chance that will be you.
>>
Would it be possible to go apply to the CIA after some years in a large dept. PD to do anything in the middle east granted I learn arabic to better my chances?
>>
>>34111167
>Almost every respectable officer I've served with is prior enlisted, and they were the ones who actually earned respect unlike Bootenant Schmuckatelli who thought he was too good to rake leaves or mop the floors.
Come on, sgt. I know you need to get your quota up but this is pathetic. Let him go straight to OCS/ROTC if he wants. Being a "creme of the crop" PT king is only for Marines and maybe army. If you just meet the PFT standards going for Navy/AF then you're good.

>>34111098
Officer vs Enlisted is more about what you want to do. Want to be a pilot/navigator/nfo? Go officer. Want to administrate? Go officer. Want to be the guy getting (ordered) to do all the hands on shit? Go enlisted. Sounds to me like you want to operate, so enlist, then save your parents the money to go to college 4 years later. Then, get a degree in something that matters, then go for OCS if you like.
>>
>>34110609
The guy asked a question and I answered with my personal experience.
Get over it.
>>
>>34111177

The air force is taking shitloads of officers right now. The selection for the board was like 50-something percent on the last one.

There are people failing multiple graded measurements in my class and they are pushing them through because the af needs officers so badly.
>>
>>34111277
>Being a "creme of the crop" PT king is only for Marines and maybe army.

He wants to be an Army Ranger, guy.

>>34111294
Turns out being incredibly snobby to applicants who want to serve their country doesn't work out well in the long run.
>>
>>34111294
If the air force is opening the floodgates of OTS, then I think I'll have good luck with my navy OCS application.
>>
>>34107107
Getting a commission is a process, it takes time and you need to be selected. You can't just "become an officer" having a degree.
>>
File: thumbsup.jpg (10KB, 238x211px) Image search: [Google]
thumbsup.jpg
10KB, 238x211px
>>34111311
Ganbatte
>>
>>34111167
>They want the absolute creme of the crop when it comes to OCS. You need to blow your fucking physicals out of the water to even stand a fighting chance, and even then you probably won't cut it.
maybe marine ocs
navy doesnt even test you before getting to OCS
>>34111311
what designator?
>>
>>34111329
NA/NFO
>>
>>34111308

>Turns out being incredibly snobby to applicants who want to serve their country doesn't work out well in the long run.

Also, making it unbearable to be in the air force doesn't help. Taking pilots out of the seat and sticking them in a command, giving dudes like five jobs in addition to their afsc, making fucking ribbons and medals a point system for promotion...

The air force is all fucked up right now. Anyone who isn't a full retard could immediately recognize why it is the most snobby and back-stabby political branch.

>>34111311

I don't know how the naval department is doing. I just know that the policies from the last ten years buttfucked manning in the air force.
>>
>>34111311
This is fucking bullshit, OTS only has a decent acceptance rate because they only run candidates with a good chance of getting selected. My nearest office only tests 6 people a month for the AFOQT.
>>34111177
Marine OCS is fucking HARD when they don't have a build up mission. I would almost say it's a waste of time. I went after it was announced we were pulling out of Iraq and only 18 out of 50 in my platoon graduated. They will find any reason they can to drop you if they are over quota. They don't drop blacks for performance related issues either; the only ones I saw leave quit.
>>
>>34111337
yeah you'll probably get it, theyre hurting for those. like half of every class at OCS were aviator/NFO
>>
File: sad-akarin.jpg (174KB, 1083x720px) Image search: [Google]
sad-akarin.jpg
174KB, 1083x720px
>>34111383
>This is fucking bullshit, OTS only has a decent acceptance rate because they only run candidates with a good chance of getting selected. My nearest office only tests 6 people a month for the AFOQT.
I hope there's enough spots left for NA's. I'd understand if they passed me over because I suck but if it's because there's no more room for NA's that would blow.

>>34111404
This gives me hope.
>>
>>34111383

OTS is a fucking joke, dude. If you can manage to get accepted you're pretty much guaranteed a commission. All you do besides the graded stuff is march around.

The pt is either cake or non-existent, the multiple choice tests are just memorizing crap they give you, and you'd have to just lie on the ground and poo yourself to fail a graded leadership measure.

I can see why af officers are the way they are after being here for several weeks. There are no standards...
>>
>>34111439
I was referring to selection. Even a 50% selection rate seems low since they are notorious for not boarding people who aren't competitive.
>>
>>34111439
Is USAF enlisted to officer actually used or is it a predatory tactic to get people to enlist?

Seems like the best way into OSI is to enlist, reclass, and apply for OTS. If you put OSI as a civilian you aren't likely to get it.
>>
>>34111485

I understand.

I'm just saying that provided you don't get hurt doing something dumb while here, if you can get on the board then there is an extremely good chance you will soon be wearing bars.

They aren't trying to eliminate the weak of character here, they just want to push people through to fill slots.
>>
>>34111439
were you the guy going for air guard at OTS? I was the guy waiting for OCS
>>
what role can I go in for that I wont have to deal with officers too much?
Theres been a massive push for females into combat roles in my country and I don't want to die so some officer can "save the gurl" and feel like a hero so that pretty much rules out any CQB related roles
>>
>>34111533

Depends on the recruiter. If it is a guy working in a middle class area then they will probably be more likely to attempt to trick people into enlisting first since kids from those places tend to have an inflated sense of self.

If you want to be an af officer then apply to ots, imo. It'll be like a year and a half long process, but if you enlist then you're looking at three years before your command feels that you're worthy; even if you get command approval, then you have to compete against everyone in the air force who has a bunch of deployments and such on their application... suddenly, you starting a debate team at your university isn't so impressive.
>>
>>34111578

Lol, nice.

Yeah, I finally made it. I'm graduating in a little over three weeks. Where are you in your process?
>>
>>34111606
graduated ocs a few weeks ago.
I'm on recruiting duty for a few weeks before they send me to school
>>
>>34111593
Just curious, when the Air Force says the max age is 34, how is that measured? Do you have the day before you turn 35 to commission?
>>
>>34111637

I believe it is that you have to complete training before your 35th birthday. I can't remember.

>>34111621

What rate did you get picked up for again? I remember it was something weird.
>>
How should I train for RASP?
>>
>>34111682
IP officer
yall get told at OTS right?
>>
>>34111869
Run, run and run some more. Work in some leg workout every so often, and do balanced endurance/strength upper body workouts. Ideally you will be an incredibly balanced athlete. Train hard, but don't overtrain or all the work will be for nothing because you injured yourself.

Getting through RASP and every SOF selection is mostly mental, but there's no excuse for not being physically ready save an injury in basic or airborne training

Good luck
>>
>>34111915

Since I'm guard I applied for a specific job at a unit, same with reserves.

Active people get told what they'll be doing when they are selected by the board before they come here.
>>
Opt into BRS or stay with High-3?
>>
I'm reading a lot in this thread that it is an incredibly difficult and long process to get into OCS, and even then I'll probably get dropped because its peace time.

Recent grad here. Everyone I've talked to about joining, even former enlisted, have told me I should go for OCS. Should I just enlist? I don't know how I feel about waiting a year and half just to get a shot.
>>
>>34112213
If you don't want the wait then OCS probably isn't an option. It's fucking tedious.
>>
File: 1384539852251.png (99KB, 500x517px) Image search: [Google]
1384539852251.png
99KB, 500x517px
I'm extremely nervous about going to recruit training.

Any advice to push through the fear?
>>
>>34111000

Depending on your tolerance for a commute and what the surrounding area is like, it definitely can be. There are places where you can pocket $500+ a month by living off post.
>>
How's virginia beach?
How's the living area around it
>>
>>34109231
It is true that HUMINT brings stacks of cash to bribe/gift locals, but I think its more for information on insurgent locations
>>
>>34110836
not to be an asshole, but almost all marriages do not last in the military. Especially if apart
>>
File: 1477624275676.jpg (502KB, 750x752px) Image search: [Google]
1477624275676.jpg
502KB, 750x752px
>ASVAB tomorrow
>MEPS all day Thursday
>Recruiter went on and on about how Dallas MEPS is notorious for being the strictest MEPS in the Nation
>Only 50% of people get through on their first visit

And here I thought awkwardly standing around naked was going to be my only worry.
>>
>>34111098
You're an adult, do what feels right. Either way, you can do both those things. You can go to college before or after the military. Decide what you want done first.
>>
>>34113066
MEPS is a doctor's office, relax.
>>
If a 19D goes to RASP, do rhey get reclassed? 35M seems like it could just transfer, but some MOSes seem like they'd be more awkward to go Ranger.
>>
File: president crews.png (774KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
president crews.png
774KB, 1280x720px
Hey, I'm considering enlisting so I don't get raped by student loan debt and learn some trades on the way. I want to study mass production/engineering-related sciences, particularly of anything that can be made from stamped steel, bent barstock, and spot welds. Common things, like everything from shopping carts to the hardware on tents, something that one company or another will need to reach their goal.

From what I know about the branches of our military, the Army Corps of Engineers seems like the place for me. Apparently you can get certified for just about anything related to repair or fabrication (welding, construction work shit,etc).

I'm 22, have a long and complicated medical history that has lead me to be above average in overall bodily health despite my low starting point, and take a small amount of prescription anti-anxiety pills for their side effect of minimizing restless nights. I have no food allergies, and never have been arrested or institutionalized.

Would I be disqualified from enlisting for any of those reasons? Also, what branch and career would help me learn the STEM shit I mentioned?
>>
>>34113387

RASP only fills slots in Regiment, it doesn't change your MOS. There are no 19D slots in Regiment, so 19Ds cannot attend RASP.
>>
>>34113407

>From what I know about the branches of our military, the Army Corps of Engineers seems like the place for me.

ACoE is a mostly civilian organization, it's not a military branch you can join.

The Army does have a trades MOS though, 91E. It's a pretty small community but they do welding and other things.

Anti-anxiety meds will probably be a no-go for enlisting, but you can always ask a recruiter if a waiver is possible.
>>
>>34113565
I looked into it, 91E looks like exactly what I want. As for the anti-anxiety meds, I don't have panic attacks and had only mild social anxiety in high school which, in retrospect, was just part of growing up. Currently they help me keep a healthy sleep cycle, but I might even be able to wean off of them with a month or two of lowering doses to zero. Would a waiver include some special exemption for carrying prescription drugs, or a conditional enlistment where I just stop taking them?
>>
At the MEPS hotel
Ama
>>
>>34114318
Are you doing the whole shebang tomorrow?
>medical
>AVASB
>signing and oath
>>
>>34114383
Just medical shit.
I've been wrestling with a waiver for 4 years so my asvab and medical have expired so I had to redo both.
After the medical my waiver will be processed and then after that I'll come back to swear in, provided it's approved.
>>
>>34110491
Can you tell me about how it was as a medic? Also, did you just luck out for recon or did you need to try out when you got to your unit?
>>
I know what I want, a 68w contract with an Option 40. I don't want to do anything else.

If I tell my recruiter that, and he insists i try something else or whatever other bullshit they pull, will I look like a prissy faggot for standing my ground and perhaps even walking out if I can't get that specific contract?

I don't want to look "too good" for the regular army, I just know what I want.
>>
Is MOS 2111 as good as it seems? Gun fondling is always pleasurable.
>>
Joining the Navy would instantly alleviate most of my life problems, but I can't do the fucking duck walk at MEPS. I've practiced it. I've tried strengthening my legs by squatting. I've tried strengthening my legs by running (which I'm also shit at). I've tried stretching my hip flexors, thinking maybe it was a flexibility issue. I've tried stretching my whole fucking body hoping maybe that would magically fix it. But all of this has done NOTHING. When I kneel down, I feel tremendous stress on my knees. I cannot take even one step, let alone the 8-10 they require at MEPS. I'm qualified for every fucking job they have ASVAB-wise, and yet I will never get out of my shit life because I can't perform an exercise that other people think is a walk in the park, an exercise that takes 20 seconds to complete. Fuck this gay earth

/endrant
>>
File: 1365888782065.gif (1MB, 400x239px) Image search: [Google]
1365888782065.gif
1MB, 400x239px
>>34104971
I just pulled my job today. Going into the Army as a 14E. Took the 6 year contract for a 40k signing bonus. It's the fastest growing field with hardly anyone applying for it. Up to E-6 you don't have to go before a board to promote. They need Warrant Officers/Officers like there's no tomorrow. I enlist as an E-3 with college credits. I'll get my BA in a couple of years and go OCS. My overseas wish list include Korea and Japan. I ship to basic in September to Fort Sill, OK. Hopefully the bitches there are good looking. I'll be there for 32-4X+ weeks depending on if I can snag Airborne and THAAD training.
>>
>>34114574
The Combat Medic Specialist won't be available for long. Every slot that's open is going fast. I just gave up my 35N for 14E because of all the perks being in that field brings. The fact that you asked if you should let someone else choose your job for you means you're a fag. But it's okay, I say man the fuck up and go for what you want. If you have a recruiter trying to tell you how to do things switch stations ASAP. I've been to several in the last few months before I found someone who doesn't treat the whole recruiting situation as if I'm at a Stealership buying a fucking car. I'm 27 years old and I know what I want and what to do. And most of them see that and are afraid. They usually go for the 18 years old that don't know shit.
>>
>>34114794
I get you.

I just don't want to come off as disrespectful or something.

Fiscal year is in Oct so I'll try then
>>
>>34114847
It's disrespectful to push your wants and opinions onto someone else. IE The recruiter to you. My first sausage and recruiting commander for the station are both impressed with how much I know and how I presented myself. As I stated before, I'm 27 and I know what I want. Just go into a station with that mindset and no one will question you. My lowest score was 109 and it was my GT score. My AFQT was projected at 79+ but I got 68 on the actual. Go figure. Find a job, google and youtube it, youtube basic and youtube ait and run with what tugs at your heart. It's so easy. All of it is easy
>>
>>34114776
You won't be going to OCS for at least 6 years if you want to keep that bonus. You clearly thought this through.
>>
if im infantry and hit the gym alot will I lose all my gains out in the field? is it even worth lifting
>>
What do you need to disclose when you join? I am getting nervous about a waiver being required for minor traffic offenses. I have zero tickets and no convictions of any kind. Will I need a waiver for speeding?
>>
>>34115104
It's always worth lifting bro
>>
>>34110609
you have shit attention span or reading comprehension
>>
18, fresh out of high school. Been considering a career in the armed forces for awhile. Was open to the air force but now im leaning more towards the national guard

Can anyone give me a basic gestalt on the national guard. What to expect, what to go into etc. Sorry in advance for sounding like a goober but i am sincerely interested in the guard.
>>
>>34116055
Everyone I've met that went guard (only a few) says they wish they just went active.
If you have prospects for a good career that you enjoy, go for it.
>>
>>34115299
lots of people have been accepted with prior jail sentences, a speeding ticket is fine.
>>
File: 1484684832571.jpg (27KB, 293x360px) Image search: [Google]
1484684832571.jpg
27KB, 293x360px
Does jerking off a few hours beforehand do anything funny with urine samples?
>>
>>34116122
If you do it right before, it'll have extra protein.

They may think your body is failing to use protein properly as a result (eg: kidney failure).
>>
>>34112712
chesapeake is chill if you get the opportunity to live there. virginia beach is a pretty chill are in general though. decent surf around there along with all the bars and concert halls. check out the norva if you're into live music. i still go there every now and then even if it's a 6 hour drive.
>>34114588
yes. if it's available i'd say go for it. i was a medic but wish i went 91f. there's not a whole lot of room for promotion, but the job itself seemed pretty legit.
>>34116055
i would only recommend the guard if you have a life outside of the military; family, job, school, etc. go active and live a lifestyle if you want a career. if you don't like it, get out after your contract and get into your guard unit. active time in counts towards your guard time.
>>
>>34116122
>They may think your body is failing to use protein properly as a result (eg: kidney failure).
this. just make sure you piss after you jack it. it'll clear out your dinkle tube.
>>
>>34116055
Air National Guard is a great opportunity to both serve and go to college or trade school. I was Diesel Mechanic in the 200th REDHORSE OhioANG, got activated twice after 9/11, left in 2004. Depending on the specific MOS you are interested in the ANG can be a great fit and the promotional structure is such (or used to be) that you compete against other guard members in your state for promotion, instead of competing service wide.
>>
>>34115066

You're wrong. Going to OCS/WOCS does not subject you to bonus recoupment. You get to keep an bonus paid out so far.
>>
>>34109850
Depends on the recruiter and how his numbers are for the month.
>>
>>34112033

Unless you're 9001% sure you will make it to 20 years, do BRS.
>>
File: IMG_3498.jpg (37KB, 316x202px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3498.jpg
37KB, 316x202px
>paperwork
I recently joined the Air Force Reserves, ever since the initial meeting with my recruiter it's been a constant slug of paperwork that needs to be filled out ASAP. Wtf is up with this hurry up mentality for everything? Shit is seriously starting to piss me off, every week now for the last month I get a phone call from my recruiter or some fuck head at base saying they need X form filled out like yesterday. Then I proceed waste half my day trying to navigate some complicated federal form. I thought reserves was supposed to be a chill minor part of your life, not consume it. REEEE!!
>>
>>34114776

ADA is a do-nothing branch, anon. At least they get to see more of the world than other do-nothing branches though.
>>
>>34116277
I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it. I hope you aren't going by your recruiters word alone.
>>
>>34116294

A lot of people think the reserves are the fun military stuff with all of the BS cut out, but it's 100% the opposite. You have to do all the BS but there's less time to do it so you do no fun stuff at all, just concentrated BS.
>>
>>34116330

It's policy, have you actually looked at the OCS or WOCS site? It's fairly clear about bonus recoupment for enlisted personnel seeking a commission.
>>
>>34113407
DON"T BE FOOLED!!! The trades are being contracted out like crazy! Machinists and Metal Workers are becoming a limited bunch in the military. Just as equipment mechanics have been slashed DOD wide. Be careful! By the sheer fact that you are interested in STEM subjects look into the flight maintenance MOS's for the Air Force and Navy. If you want Civil Engineering stay away from the Army Corps of Engineering and look into the Navy SeaBees or the Air Force RED HORSE units.
>>
>>34116351
I thought that only applied to re-enlistment bonuses. Regardless, I hope you realize it isn't likely for you to get recommended for OCS until that much time has passed anyway. It's a more competitive process once you are in the army. Competing against guys with multiple deployments, bucket of crab NCOs, and the army's general inclination of not wanting to give up an enlisted man.
>>
I have an AS in computer languages and would like to do IT related work but have no experience in it. How is 25B?
>>
The marines usually get a lot of hate in these threads.
Is it because statistically, they are the whitest branch? I know there's a lot of queers and trannies on /k/ so do you all just hate fucking white males?
They're also the most physically fit branch (with Army now being the fattest) and i know there's a lot of fatties on /k/.
>>
>>34116277
>>34116330
>>34116351
>>34116390

I'm not the 14E dude, just pointing out that he wouldn't have to pay back his bonus.

It's moot though, he's 27, got a 68 on the ASVAB, and gave up 35N for ADA? He's not officer material.
>>
I want to enlist after I'm done with high school. As far as I know I'm fine physically but I'm currently taking an anti-depressent. If I talk with my doctor and manage to stay off them for a year would I have any trouble getting a waiver or should I not even bring it up?
>>
>>34104971
Are there any general MOS's that don't allow you freetime to fuck around on a laptop on base some hours?
>>
>>34104971
redpill me on 12d
>>
>>34116753
No
>>
>>34116665

Depends on what you mean by "some hours". Every MOS has free time when you're not on duty. Some MOSs also have computer access during the duty day and can, depending on mission, fuck around on a laptop for most of the day.
>>
>>34116782

Not him but why? I am pretty inclined for any diver job, i am joining the Navy tho
>>
File: GojuGuy.gif (1018KB, 300x167px) Image search: [Google]
GojuGuy.gif
1018KB, 300x167px
>>34107708
>>
>>34109231
>Was watching a movie (war machine) about the war in Afghanistan last night.

While War Machine is based on the tenure of Stanley McChrystal it has a strong satirical bent. You shouldn't take it as 100% accurate.
>>
>>34111188
>Would it be possible to go apply to the CIA after some years

You can apply at any time assuming you meet the requirements for the position you are applying for.

CIA.gov
>>
File: tenor.gif (1MB, 498x278px) Image search: [Google]
tenor.gif
1MB, 498x278px
Usually what time-frame should i expect for health related waivers? I know the question is vague since it depends of the case but just to have a general idea.

I have Keloids on my shoulders and it might take 5-6 months to got them removed. Honestly i dont know if they will actually disqualify me so i am torn between

>Going to MEPS and risk it
>Treat them and then going to MEPS
>>
File: medivh_oekaki_by_nabonidus.png (138KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
medivh_oekaki_by_nabonidus.png
138KB, 300x300px
Anyone familiar with SOWT? My recruiter was telling me that USAF spec ops are in demand right now and have sign on bonuses
>>
>>34106236
I'm an 11X with a 3 year contract.
>>
>>34107030
Been in delyaed entry for the Army for almost a year before I ship and I've seen some of the biggest fucking retards walk in and get Option 40. I got Airborne attached to my contract because some 18X washed out of selection and his Airborne slot opened up at just the right time for me while I was at MEPS. Option 40 works the same way really. Right time right place.
>>
>>34107116
Same Army DEP fag here.

I had to wait almost a month for my 11X slot to open up because when I enlisted (during June of last year) there was apparently an overfill of 11X slots by 300. Thought my recruiters were bullshitting me but the Army liaison at MEPS told me the same thing. They almost got me to take a 19D contract but I said fuck no. Waited almost a month and my recruiter called me up saying an 11X contract was available. Honestly I played hardball with them on the whole "I'm only accepting an 11X contract" a little too much. I thought they were never calling me back and I was just shit out of luck. I wish my enlistment process would've been a bit smoother but here I am. Almost a year later with an Infantry contract.
>>
>>34108704
I know 2 Cav Scout NCOs. They all say 19D is the best job in the Army. They're both solid leaders and have 300 APFT scores so they're aight in my book. Also they saw lots of combat during the surge in Iraq but I can't say what being a Cav Scout right now is like. I know some Scouts were training the Ukies to fight The Pro Russians not long ago.
>>
File: 1487187588121.jpg (285KB, 943x960px) Image search: [Google]
1487187588121.jpg
285KB, 943x960px
Which army infantry divisions (or brigades of division) are the most high speed and elite? Which I.D.s are shit-shows?
>>
So how do I go about getting the signing bonus? Do I just say I want a signing bonus for 19D and that's it, done?
>>
>>34118266

It's all based off of what is available. If there's currently a bonus, they will offer it to you. Bonuses are usually for certain jobs, certain contract lengths, quick-ship, or sometimes because you have some college credit.
>>
>>34111188
>granted I learn arabic to better my chances?
I forgot to address this part:

Having language ability will make your resume look better but it's not important unless you are applying as a Foreign Language Support Officer. If CIA wants you to know a language you will be taught a given language.

If you don't have the language that doesn't bar you from applying to any other position that isn't language support (which requires fluency).
>>
What's the best way to tell your recruiter to hop off your ass so you can get other shit done?
>>
>>34118291
Goarmy says there's a 5k bonus for 19D and a 7k for 35M. Those are the only two bonuses I'm interested in.

I've got an Associates degree if that helps.
>>
>>34117994
Seconding this, and are there ways to tilt the odds in your favor besides choosing (or not choosing) option 4?
>>
File: 1495064507290.jpg (87KB, 1500x1155px) Image search: [Google]
1495064507290.jpg
87KB, 1500x1155px
>>34114403
4 years?!?
>>
Is 11b shit? How bad does it fuck your body up? I want to pick an MOS that will help me best prepare for the race war after I get out.
>>
>>34118661

Pick a comfy job with good civilian prospects. Make six figures when you get out, use money to buy funz and a compound/bunker innawoods. A few hundred grand will get you a lot in rural areas.

Infantryfags turn into poorfags who have to take shit jobs in shit areas and can never escape.
>>
>>34118661
11B here, don't do 11B unless you want to feel imprisoned in the military for 20 years, because despite how badly you will want out, you will either want out when it's too late to get anywhere in the civilian world for employment or it will be too soon to get the retirement benefits to help pay for and repair the damage the army alone has done to your body. (If you are dead-set on 11B still, just go National Guard)

Get something that transfers well to the civilian world yet still doesn't sound awful enough to make you want to shoot yourself. Lots of MOS in the army medical field transfer well (68N Cardiovascular Specialist is supposedly one of the best kept secrets in the Army). Air traffic controllers; they're FAA certified.
>>
File: tdy-121010-puppies-01.grid-6x2.jpg (24KB, 474x356px) Image search: [Google]
tdy-121010-puppies-01.grid-6x2.jpg
24KB, 474x356px
Got 35M. Went through MEPS and did the OPAT last week.

Just getting /fit/ter and waiting until my ship date for basic training.
>>
>>34118551
Yep. When Obama was pres he cut military budget and all the branches downsized because of it. When they downsize they get really picky about who they let in.
Emperor Trump increased military budget and all branches are expanding. And now the Marines have offered to give me a waiver. I'll find out within a couple weeks if it's been approved.
>>
>>34118709
>>34118842
Thanks. I think I'll go 25B since I'm pretty good at that kind of stuff.
>>
>>34117994
Whichever one you end up in is the most elite, and all the others are trash.

(For serious though, there is no "more elite" line unit than the others. 82nd Airborne gets the 'bragging rights' of being on GRF, but those dudes are often more retarded and harder to work with than other IDs. )
>>
>>34119049
Obama's platform was downsizing the military and "ending the war" (because simply getting rid of military personnel and choking up deployments ends a war.)
>>
>>34118661

There is no great war. Joining infantry now would be a mistake. I did my 3 years, never deployed, got out. Huge fucking waste of time, especially if you're smart enough to qualify for actual jobs with prospects.

If you're self-motivated just get /fit/ and do /k/ drills and read survival manuals and shit,
>>
>>34119049

>Obama
>Chief Executive
>Passed budgetary legislation

>Trump
>Chief Executive
>Passed budgetary legislation

Jesus fucking Christ.
>>
>>34118946
Did you take the OPAT at MEPS? My recruiter hasn't mentioned it yet
>>
File: 1418043917539.jpg (86KB, 636x571px) Image search: [Google]
1418043917539.jpg
86KB, 636x571px
How do the benefits for Active Duty Marines differ from Marine Reservists?
>>
>>34119663
Jalapeño cheese spread in your MREs
>>
Swore in today. Leave for Parris Island in November. I'm finally in the homestretch to become a Memerine.
>>
>>34117596
Ya, they have a pretty hard tech school and you have a decent chance to deploy and see the world. If you are fit, not too dumb, and motivates then it's a perfectly good career choice. Maybe not as "glorious" as PJ, Combat Control, or TACP but you shouldn't be in it for the glory. Also you get a lit as fuck beret
>>
Which Mos is the best for medical experience? Id like to get some good skills while I'm in.
>>
>>34119663

Reservists - No bennies.

Active duty - All the bennies.

Marines fucking hate people who try to go into the reserves as civilians too. Marine reserves is mostly a good ol' boys club for Marines who didn't want to stay active any more.
>>
>>34117596

All together CCTs and SOWTs combined number somewhere between 600-750 as numbers fluctuate. They are fucking unicorns.
>>
This is the bonus for 35N so high? With 35M, do they decide the language you learn or do you get some choice?
>>
>>34119958
Sorry, *why is the bonus
>>
>>34119958

They choose your language for you based off of your DLAB score, unless you're a reservist.

35N bonus is high because it has pretty good job prospects and is filled with autists so nobody wants to stay in. They have to constantly recruit to backfill.
>>
>>34119958

Because 35N is a factory for smart people to get degrees and highly marketable skills usable in the civilian world both within and outside of intel.
>>
>>34119986
>>34120000
Much appreciated
>>
>>34120000
How is 35M in comparison, as far as civilian fed work goes?
>>
File: 5EnHeQn.png (6KB, 1695x113px) Image search: [Google]
5EnHeQn.png
6KB, 1695x113px
>>34104971
Guys what do think about joing russian army as eu citizen? I feel that my country is a bit weak and I'm also thinking about some adventure.
>>
>>34120188

Different fields. You'd either be shooting for HUMINT, Diplomacy, or analysis of foreign language materials with those credentials. I know the CIA is offering big bonuses for people with certain languages and pay right at or in the six figure range on the analyst side. Last bonus I checked topped at 35k, but it may have gone up or down.
>>
did my asvab today

AFQT percentile score: 87
GT: 123
CL:123
CO:128
EL:128
FA:128
GM:129
MM:128
OF:128
SC:127
ST:127

should i take it again next month? or stick with it.
Recruiters are pushing me to chose an MOS. i will not fail for the pressure, but im just curious if i should retake or go for MOS
>>
>>34120202
You only live once. Either do it or live with regrets. The clock ticks just the same.
>>
>>34120308
It's shit senpai :(
>>
File: 1483579514532.jpg (331KB, 753x707px) Image search: [Google]
1483579514532.jpg
331KB, 753x707px
>>34120352
>>
>>34119379
Nope. Did the OPAT at the recruiting office.

It's a piece of cake: broad jump, medicine ball toss, deadlift, and a few sprints.
>>
>>34120308
well what MOS do you want?
>>
File: 1471781512491.gif (588KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1471781512491.gif
588KB, 500x281px
Also got my ASVAB scores back:

M: 85
A: 87
G: 91
E: 88

89th percentile

Also took a "cyber exam" or whatever it was called. Pretty sure I killed it, but I'm not sure how it relates to my ASVAB?

Is it required for computer-related AFSCs?
>>
File: 1491722619731.png (175KB, 384x390px) Image search: [Google]
1491722619731.png
175KB, 384x390px
>>34120462
dont really even know. i just wanna jump start my life by saving as much as i can so i can start a bussness after i get out of 5 years if i dont like it.
so really im just looking for a job
anything that does not require a security clearance since im not murican and cant get one right now.
>>
Of the 35 series of MOS, which have the most transferable civilian job skills? Considering 35F because it matches my degree and interests.
>>
Just got done with phase I of rasp. It's not "hard", just mentally draining. The biggest dropout time was cole range. Everything you do here is not hard with proper sleep and food, it's just being hungry and tired that gets most guys. Off to shooting and demo for four weeks
>>
>>34120650

Short answer: 35Q

Long answer: Whichever one you're passionate about. It's hard to be successful if you're not interested in your field.
>>
>>34120650
35N or 35Q

I'm a 35N in a 35Q billet right now...we can pretty much do any job.
>>
>>34120702

How do you feel about the Air Force's 1NXX series?
>>
>>34120702

You have no language though! Although you can probably opt to learn one and be slotted in a language coded billet if they really need you to.
>>
>>34120671
Did you hit Black Monday yet? I hear that knocks a lot of guys out, but it seems impossible to research what exactly goes on during that day.
>>
>>34120483
>MAGE
Homo.
>>
>>34120486
>whut business?
kinda helps if tell us
>>
>>34116122

No

That is just something they tell spergs to see how you'll react; spergs have since passed it on as truth.

Another spergbait story is salt peter in the eggs in training.
>>
>>34119872

>Marines fucking hate people who try to go into the reserves as civilians too

Pretty much the truth for all reserve components, especially guard though since they have to maintain serious discipline if their state gets a lot of natural disasters.

For the other anon: someone coming in off the street as a civilian doesn't have the operational experience from being active so they usually don't perform at the level that a traditional guard unit requires.
>>
>>34120957
restaurant, im insane good at cooking
not so related to MOS, since cooks are literally the retards of every branch
>>
>>34121102
i mean cooks get food safe certified. that's about it though. most of the dfac food is just canned or boxed shit and made up like a highschool cafeteria. see what's the shortest contract mos is. get the gi bill and go to culinary when you get out. i used to work in restaurants before i got in. the last one was run by a chef that was a former navy cook. got out and went to culinary in miami. after he graduated he started a family and a cafe. he's not insanely rich or anything, but he makes good money running a fru fru cafe in a college town though.
>>
So what's in the Mechanical Comprehension and Automotive Shop sections of the ASVAB? I know how to change a tire and check its pressure but that's about it beyond some basic power tool usage. Is it literally just a retard filter?
>>
If you join, remember that you'll be serving under things like this (well not this specific one, it was taken care of)
>>
>>34122065

I can't wait until JSOC and the guard get to purge you NatSoc faggots.
>>
>>34122100
>implying you have to be NatSoc to dislike niggers
Not saying this particular one is a nigger.
>>
>>34122156

Nah dude. The lot of you deserve to be black bagged. When you put on the uniform you aren't black, white, brown, or asian, you're a member of the united states military. Period. And fucks like you who would disregard that and speak so disgracefully don't belong in the military. You are a disgrace to every ideal that you hide behind even if you are trying to be loledgy on the internet. You are a shame to this country.
>>
>>34122219
Who the fuck are you to claim any moral high ground?
>lol I hate nazis
>lets pull the same tactic of murdering dissent against the status quo
As per usual, moral busybodies don't actually understand anything about the ideology of the people you want to eliminate.
>>
>>34122448

>advocate murdering people based on racial hierarchies
>shocked when people want to see you dead for your ideology

You cunts live in an alternative world.
>>
Is Mulan's I'll Make a Man Out of You a good representation of boot camp?
>>
>>34122498
>implying any NatSoc advocates genocide
Jesus H. Christ, do you even know what NatSoc is? Can you even give me a 3 sentence paragraph describing Fascism and National Socialism?
>bash the fash
Are you, by chance, a leftist? You literally sound like antifa.
>>
>>34122521

>t-the burden of proof is upon yoooouuuu!
>y-you antifa you!

Go make like Hitler and eat a gun.
>>
Anyone here familiar with how Air Force contracts are set up? My recruiter is telling me that I have to sign up for an aptitude area, I feel like this is just BS to get me shipped out faster.
>>
>>34123001

They aren't like the Army. They don't need your ass enough to throw money at you and make all sorts of "guarantees" with small print. If you're enough of a fool not to do enough background research from credible sources then I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>34123001
They don't need you. So if they are going to take you, you'll do what they want.
>>
>>34104971
>32 Series of the army? Interrogation Intelligence?

Do you mean 35 series? These are military intel jobs. 35M is HUMINT Collector which include interrogations.
>>
Which mos in the 35 series is most likely to do field work? Preferably one without a foreign language requirement because there's no way I could pass that language aptitude test.
>>
>>34123108

>which include interrogations

Let's be real: junior enlisted are going to be doing interrogations and translations so that the big boys have time to recruit and run agents. Nobody is trust some Private or Specialist with that shit.
>>
>>34105313
11X - Ranger contract. You will have to sign up for 4-6 years but as a Ranger in a Ranger Bn you will see combat. Do not let the Recruiter trick bag you into 11B or 11B with Airborne. Accept only 11X if you qualify.
>>
I had an allergic reaction to penicillin (rash/hives) when I was 8-10. Report y/n?

I usually do since it's a medical agent and that's a bit more serious than a minor shellfish allergy.
>>
>>34109231
War Machine is a documentary. I was in Afghanistan in 2003, 2006, 2008, 2014. Yes there are paying agents who pay compensation to civilians who lose property or relatives to US action. There is a lot of paperwork and documentation. Think combat insurance adjuster.
>>
>>34111000
Get divorced, run and never look back. No kids? No job? Bail out now while you still can. If you join with her in tow she will become a 300 dependapotomous
>>
35M doesn't have a foreign language requirement.

It does require you, however, to take and get a passing score on the DLAB, which is basically trying to tell what from what in some made-up language. If you know how sentences are constructed and can tell your nouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs from each other, you should be fine.
>>
>>34123303

>He's going to gather intelligence in a warzone while speaking only english
>>
>>34123313
Getting into the MOS I mean. But yeah, at some point, he'll have to learn a foreign language.
>>
>>34115104
Yes, hit the gym, but every infantryman I know is 150lbs. You will do lots of cardio and lose most of your gainz.
>>
>>34123347

Aptitude because there will eventually be a language requirement.
>>
>>34120188
To do HUMINT work you are looking at DIA DCS maybe the CIA. But HUMINT skills translate well to police work. Look at federal LE agencies.
>>
>>34123127

35M is becoming increasingly language dependent. If you're ruling that out, your best bet is probably 35F or 35T, but 35N and 35P go to the field too.

It's 100 % unit dependent. If you're in a strat unit then you're never living a comfortable office building, if you're in a line unit you might occasionally lug equipment out to the middle of nowhere and set it up.
>>
What are the best MOS's where I can work out in the field, and get a good paying job in the civilian world?

What are the best MOS's for the civilian world in general?

If it helps, I'm about to finish up a bachelors in History (yeah yeah, I know it's a shit degree. I wish I knew that four years ago)
>>
>>34116417
I've been looking at signals as well, and the word is that 25B is bad. Lack of advancement opportunities is the biggest citation, and I see stories on other forums about other 25 series getting pulled in for B work anyway because of the "if it uses batteries it's Signal's problem" doctrine.
>>
>>34120308
You will qualify for every job in the DoD. Tell them what you want.
>>
>>34123127
35M but you will need at least a 95 on the DLAB.

Also look at 35N with airborne. Try to get to a SOT-A.
>>
>>34123144
Really? You don't say? Tell me more about 35M...
>>
File: 1489877811777.jpg (26KB, 457x480px) Image search: [Google]
1489877811777.jpg
26KB, 457x480px
Can anyone here tell me about trying out to be a TACP in the air force? Is there anything shitty about it? How much in demand are they right now?
>>
>>34123425
What sort of work do you like to do? And where do you want to settle down for a civilian job?
>>
>>34123532
I'm open minded about pretty much any job, and I'd prefer to work in the US for a civilian job. Preferably in Texas since I live there now, but that's not absolutely vital.
>>
>>34122065
>This bait

He is automatically better than you because he branched MI.
>>
File: 1409178458991.jpg (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1409178458991.jpg
14KB, 300x300px
What's 4 years of living as a Marine grunt on your knees? I'm 23 if that's anything. I'm not worried about my health now, but when I leave I want to see if I can take my military experience and try the FFL.
>>
>>34123313
>>He's going to gather intelligence in a warzone while speaking only english

TBQH FAMILY he wouldn't be speaking it on a native level anyway so having a terp is the best solution.

Even with fluency you would likely have a terp and the fluency would just be useful in making sure that he's not lying to you about what the LNs are saying and isn't lying to the LNs about what you're saying.
>>
>>34123551
FAA A&P (Airframe and Powerplant). Servicing helicopters or jets for oil companies. Look at the civilian sector then find the military gig that would support it. Look ONLY at the Air Force or Navy for training. The Army has helicopters but the training is way sub-par and won't get you anywhere close to an FAA A&P.
>>
>>34123578

>trusting a terp with a source's identity

Need to know means need to know.
>>
>>34123569
Grunt work is always hard on the body.
The FFL won't be any easier on the knees, assuming you want a combat job with them.
Apparently marching long distances is their thing.
>>
>>34123569

Dude, if you want FFL just go do FFL. It's a 5 year basic term.
>>
>>34123032
That is part of the problem, I don't know where any credible sources are. I've been asking various questions in these generals for the past two months or so but its pretty hit and miss. Do you know where I could find the relevant information?
>>
>>34124043
If you want to have full control of the job you get in the military, don't join the air force. It's that simple
>>
>>34123485
So what's the DLAB like? I'm stuck between 35M and 19D and my preference is switching day by day as I learn more about each. Can I take the DLAB before deciding on an MOS or do I lock myself into 35 and out of a 19D signing bonus by taking it?
>>
>>34124151

You take the DLAB beforesigning a contract, but your recruiter will probably be annoyed if they bother to schedule it for you, you pass it, and you don't end up taking a language slot.
>>
Do they have time for glory in the Infantry?
>>
>>34124131
How likely is it that I would end up with a job I didn't want or like? My recruiter was saying that you can cross train fairly easily half way through your contract, and that people tend to get what they want anyways. It sounded too good to be true though
>>
I'm a year in joining and I'm already hating the military
How am I gonna last 8 years with these fucking incompetents?
>>
Can I get a job as a PMC with FFL experience?
>>
>tfw want to go infantry to shoot shit but also want a job that will benefit your post-military career
>torn between desk jockeying as a 25B or being gay with my platoon and doing professional landscaping
>>
>>34124454
Why not go career infantryman grunt POS?

Like you can find civvie life acceptable after tasting the thrill of going Beyond the Wire
>>
File: 1495640497330.gif (1MB, 499x654px) Image search: [Google]
1495640497330.gif
1MB, 499x654px
>>34124587
I hear the only great thing about infantry is the camaraderie not much else that's the only thing. I have to see the recruiter tomorrow to pick my MOS so I just might. It was 19D at one point but that's even worse more I glean over it.

That is exactly what I might do what you said, do some grunt shit for four years and then go to Uni to pick a trade with muh gubberment monies
>>
Does anyone have any information regarding the Navy's CTT rating? I failed out of CTI school and was fortunate to land CTT. I'd like to know any and all I can about it.
>>
>>34123425
Intel, medical, computers, signals, legal

Trades are okay too. Truck driving, firemen, plumber, electrician, shit like that
>>
>>34123425
History isn't abhorrent. What's your focus?
>>
>>34124454
are you me
>>
>>34124454
>but also want a job that will benefit your post-military career
This is what the free college is for
>>
Anyone know if the ADF has a similar scheme to the GI Bill in burgerland?
>>
will I get time to lift as 11B?
>>
>>34125601
yes
>>
Anyone know about army aviation vs marine aviation? What's best if I want to fly a helicopter? I know that if I want to do jets, marines is the choice but are the marines still strapped for cash?
>>
>>34124339
HAHAHAH WELCOME TO THE MILITARY
HERE'S YOUR HAPPY-SOCK
>>
File: 1399369255803.jpg (279KB, 2140x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1399369255803.jpg
279KB, 2140x3000px
Do not join the military, its a fucking and a waste of time.

If you want to actually make a difference in your community, become a firefighter or an EMT. Just don't bother investing in the military.
Also if you're already in do not reinlist. Finish your first contract, get the fuck out, and never look back.
>>
>>34125799
>t. pog
>>
>>34125601
>will I get time in between sweeping the sunshine off the curb and mopping the rain to lift?
Yep.
>>
>>34123608
>never was HUMINT
>>
>>34125808
Really insecure about that low ASVAB score, huh?
>>
>>34124151
You can't study for the DLAB. It really is an aptitude test. Don't sweat it. Just take the test.
>>
>>34124898
College alone doesn't get you a job unless it's in the medical field or something. A bachelor's is a high school diploma now.
>>
File: 1408766674065.png (31KB, 450x445px) Image search: [Google]
1408766674065.png
31KB, 450x445px
I got a 94, but I still wanna go inna infantry. POG jobs just don't really appeal to me.

Infantry and the culture behind it is an opportunity you don't exactly get anywhere else.

Why would I want to learn to repair government vehicles when I could just take trade school here and do it without risking my life and for better pay?

Not to say there aren't any interesting POG jobs, but they just aren't on my radar at the moment.
>>
>>34125865
LITERALLY

MAKE

CONNECTIONS

WITH YOUR PROFESSORS

NIGGER

College is a platform for connections and internships. Of course book-learning isn't going to get you skills. It's all connections, all skills, all work experience, etc.
You get out what you put in. Putting in minimal effort just memorizing formulas is ez pz autism tier.
>>
>>34125906
Go 68W instead.
Infantry is full of idiots and criminals "trying to turn their lives around"
>>
>>34125799

EMTs are paid shit and don't get free college. Firefighting is actually really hard to get into.
>>
File: 1387377666442.jpg (31KB, 402x283px) Image search: [Google]
1387377666442.jpg
31KB, 402x283px
>>34125973
You're fucking retarded.
EMT's make more annually than a fucking E-5 does lmfao. You really think some grunt walking in as an E-1 will be making any real money?His pay gets taxed to hell he'd be making as much as a Mcdonalds worker. And he won't make any real money unless he starts ranking up. Even then, he'd be better off just getting a real job.
>Free college
Less than 20% of soldiers actually use their GI Bill or even go back to college. Some that do wind up flunking out or majoring in something useless. Besides, I wouldn't re-join the military even if they offered to pay all of grad school for me. Its not worth it.
>Firefighting is actually really hard to get into
My friend literally got hired because he passed the drug test, psych screening, and the physical test, which involved carrying a 200lb dummy a few feet.
Wow.
Such hard.
Very difficult.
Firefighters and EMT's are more valuable to this country. We don't need more soldiers. All the wars they have fought in were a waste of time, and your leaders could give less of a shit. Do you really feel like investing 6-8 years of your life into something like this is fucking worth it?I sincerely hope not
>>
>>34125914
Sucking your professor's liberal dick isn't going to get you a clearance faggot. Some gigs require military experience, directly or indirectly.
>>
File: 1496158445756.jpg (19KB, 222x293px) Image search: [Google]
1496158445756.jpg
19KB, 222x293px
How do I join the marines? Im 18 in canada and I was birn here. What is the best way to join the US military?
>>
I want to join the military, and I'm currently in college right now. I want to mainly do field work instead of pog shit, but I understand the benefits being a pog gives you in the civilian world. Would I fuck myself over by not being a pog, or would being a grunt still be worthwhile?
>>
>>34126045
you have to get your green card
>>
>>34126036
>what are internships
>what is volunteering
>what is not picking a shitty liberal art degree
>what are college job fairs
>>
>>34125658
Please bump
>>
>>34104971
Can I fit in army and survive there between the normies when I'm antisocial weeb?
>>
>>34126088

Do you have any idea what "field work" entails? Most of the work in the field is done by POGs too.
>>
>>34126243

Yes, join cyber/signal/mi, it's full of antisocial weebs.
>>
>>34126257
What do you mean by 'mi' ?
>>
>>34126250
What types of pog's do field work?
>>
>>34126321

Generator techs, drivers, vehicle mechanics, fuelers, medics, sanitation, engineers, even IT has to set up and maintain networks in the field.

When you go out to the field, it's still mostly non-grunts. Only some jobs are 100 % office jobs.
>>
>>34126306

Military Intelligence
>>
>>34125914
>You get out what you put in.

This.

>>34126036
>Sucking your professor's liberal dick isn't going to get you a clearance faggot.

No, filling out an SF86 and not lying on it likely will.

But you're an idiot if you can't understand the difference between skating through college and actually doing something with it. Chapter 33 is wasted on you. College is not like the military, you can't be successful by just skating through as a gray man just trying to make it through to COB so you can make it to the smoke pit and be the pivot man in your clique's circle jerk.

t. veteran college student
>>
>>34126088
>I want to mainly do field work instead of pog shit

Unless you are infantry you are a POG. It doesn't matter if you do "field work".
>>
>>34125940
I'm in Marine DEP.
>>
What are civilian jobs for 35M, and how well do they pay?
>>
>>34126817
Answered above. Fed LE, CIA, DCS. The pay is good and the job is interesting.
>>
>>34126817
This >>34126892

However, to add it what's already been said, it's boring as fuck in garrison.
>>
>>34126892
Does going option 40 give you any extra benefits with 35M experience wise?
>>
File: 1414549877254.png (8KB, 330x245px) Image search: [Google]
1414549877254.png
8KB, 330x245px
who else joined because of a failed relationship
>>
>>34126586
So you are a veteran; you have no idea what you are talking about.

Thank you for your service.

t. college graduate joining the military
>>
>>34126586
>No, filling out an SF86 and not lying on it likely will.

Nobody wants to hire you if you don't already have a clearance. It's an unnecessary hassle and your application will probably in tossed and they will look at people who already have clearances. Best way to get that is in the military.
>>
>>34124151
35m is a cool mos. I'm at DLI right now, it's hard but doable.
>>
>>34122519
No. Boot camp is literally cleaning shit and getting beat with some laughs in between.
>>
>>34116421
>army is fatter than navy and Air Force
FEELS GOOD LADS
>>
File: 1337393198626.png (96KB, 247x231px) Image search: [Google]
1337393198626.png
96KB, 247x231px
>tfw you tell the recruiter you're Roman Catholic and he mutters "uh-huh, Romish Chapel, uh-huh" while writing it down

I just wanted to be with the autismos, not the superstitious fuckwits. I hate New England, reee etc.
>>
File: nye.png (99KB, 500x467px) Image search: [Google]
nye.png
99KB, 500x467px
What should I expect with MP OSUT?
>>
>>34122536
Kill yourself antifa cringe.
>>
>>34127990

Bullshit. Currently working a cleared civilian job. Most of my coworkers have no military background.

If you're a worthwhile hire then they'll sponsor your clearance. Heck, lots of people get their first clearance with a college internship.
>>
>>34126149
What is the best way to do this?
>>
>>34123151
You don't know what you're talking about do you?
11x is the infantry enlistment option.
You don't get 11b or 11c in a contract, they get assigned to you.
The Option 40 is what you want along with your MOS to get a shot at RASP.
"11x" is not a ranger contract.
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.