[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Effectiveness of Shotguns vs Semi-Auto Rifles against Human Wave

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

Creating something of a post apoc setting here /k/ and I had a gun question.

Suppose there were a lack of vehicles, heavy artillery, sophsticated tactics, and a specific terrain made suitable for a return to trench warfare, a bit like was in the Iran-Iraq War.

Infantry of the age have a wide variety of guns to use from Semi-Automatic rifles and carbines, to shotguns, and LMG's. These are easy to acquire and ammunition is plentiful.

Suppose an line of infantry were to charge and close in a line of soldiers in a trench. For the defenders, would it make any sense at all for them to try and swap their semi-automatic rifles and pick up a shotguns to try and blast the approaching infantry as they close in.

For the attackers, would it make sense if they were armed with shotguns, or should they stick to semi-automatics or even SMG's?

I'm talking mostly about Semi-Automatic Shotguns here with Drum Magazines like the Striker, but if there are other types more effective that's okay. They can also be equipped with bayonets.
>>
File: M4_PEO_Soldier.jpg (156KB, 1024x382px) Image search: [Google]
M4_PEO_Soldier.jpg
156KB, 1024x382px
When I mean Semi-Auto rifle I mean something like the M4. I wasn't sure if Assault Rifle was a correct term.
>>
>For the attackers, would it make sense if they were armed with shotguns, or should they stick to semi-automatics or even SMG's?
SMGs would be best. At trench ranges, shotguns simply dont spread much, not enough to justify their shallow magazines and limitingly large ammunition.
>>
File: mps-aa12.jpg (71KB, 600x492px) Image search: [Google]
mps-aa12.jpg
71KB, 600x492px
I'd also like to know about the effectivenss of the AA12 vs the M4 when deployed en masse in a trench warfare scenario too.
>>
>>34099887
Ah, I see.

How about the Defenders? Is it best if they just stick to their M4s if that's their standard rifle?

Also how about Fully Autoshotguns like >>34099892
>>
Bump, I'd like to know this too. Would trench warfare be very different if everyone had M4s instead of the bolt actions they had in ww1?
>>
File: union_horseshoe.jpg (388KB, 1500x994px) Image search: [Google]
union_horseshoe.jpg
388KB, 1500x994px
>>34099936
> instead of the bolt actions they had in ww1?
how about pic related?
>>
>>34099887
Also i take it that even drum mags for shotguns are considered "shallow" magazines?
>>
File: 1487077648961.gif (415KB, 480x238px) Image search: [Google]
1487077648961.gif
415KB, 480x238px
Is it summer already?
>>
>>34099837
Why would you swap a weapon that holds between 2 and 5 times the ammo, can be reloaded faster, has smaller lighter bullets that you can carry more of, AND can engage targets effectively at several hundred meters for a shotgun in that situation?
>>
>>34100425
Mostly because I was wondering if the effect of being hit by a shotgun blast is more effective at stopping someone at very close ranges than an M4, particularly in the case where they've practically closed the gap and are right on top of the trenches.

https://owlcation.com/humanities/World-War-1-History-Germany-Declares-Shotgun-Inhumane

>In 1900, during the Philippine Insurrection, Captain John Pershing saw combat against the Juramentados, fanatical Islamic Moro swordsmen who sought martyrdom while killing their enemies. The Army Colt .38 didn't stop their suicidal attacks and even the Springfield rifle didn't always do the job. In such close quarter fighting, the Model 97 Riot Gun, a pump-action shotgun, usually gave the Juramentados their desired martyrdom.

>In 1900, during the Philippine Insurrection, Captain John Pershing saw combat against the Juramentados, fanatical Islamic Moro swordsmen who sought martyrdom while killing their enemies. The Army Colt .38 didn't stop their suicidal attacks and even the Springfield rifle didn't always do the job. In such close quarter fighting, the Model 97 Riot Gun, a pump-action shotgun, usually gave the Juramentados their desired martyrdom.

In this case a line of soldiers in a trench is at risk of being overrun by a large mass of men, having already engaged them at range with M4's, if its just best they stick to the M4's they have already or if it makes any sense switch to something like pic related.

I had envisioned that a 12 guage shotgun blast would have a lot easier time making a person drop dead at close ranges than a hit by an m4, but if that's not true then that's all I really wanted to know.
>>
>>34100554
Missquote.

>When soldiers equipped with Model 97 Trench Guns jumped into an enemy trench, they were able to clear it quickly in both directions using the slamfire mode. The relatively short barrel length allowed them to quickly swing in either direction in the narrow, confines of the trench. In a matter of seconds, 54 8.4 mm balls of buckshot with an effective range of up to 50 yards tore up anyone in the way. Such firepower, restricted to close-in fighting, had a greater hit probability than any available automatic weapons of the time. They became known as trench brooms or trench sweepers.
>>
Why not have both, get a semi 12 gauge with a 10m long magazine tube and load it with slugs.
>>
>>34099936
Probably not, the vast majority of casualties (75%+) were caused by artillery. Sure it would help for trench clearing, but even then dedicated trench clearing units a la sturmtruppen usually only carried a pistol at most, and just sacks and sacks of grenades; later on smgs were used to good effect as were shotguns, but at that point its because anything is better than a long bolt action rifle.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.