[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What hema sword (or other weapon) is the best to learn?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: 1200px-HEMA_Logo.svg[1].png (25KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-HEMA_Logo.svg[1].png
25KB, 1200x1200px
What hema sword (or other weapon) is the best to learn?
>>
File: 2e5267581dfd938183114b6ef75f8c74.jpg (208KB, 1025x768px) Image search: [Google]
2e5267581dfd938183114b6ef75f8c74.jpg
208KB, 1025x768px
>>34094979
I'd say the longsword. It's the most common weapon in hema so you get a much wider variety of products, literature, and videos that focus on the longsword. I'm no expert, but the guy who runs my hema club said longsword is a great starting place for learning the fundamentals to fencing/martial arts, so if you are new that is another good thing about it.
>>
File: 1IfV22t.jpg (40KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1IfV22t.jpg
40KB, 500x375px
Yeah, start with the Longsword and branch off from there.
>>
>>34094979
Best to learn, or easiest to learn?

Best to learn? That which is interesting to you, that has you reading and rereading sources, that you love to spar with, and that someone knowledgeable around you teaches. For me, that's messer.

Easiest to learn? Longsword, because damn near every HEMA club or school teaches it, there are many published books and interpretations, and tons of sparring and competition opportunities. Easy to learn, difficult to master. But still easy to learn.

Also, don't go too anal about weapon types. For example, you want to learn montante. Learn longsword first, because you'll probably fuck up your tendons if you start swinging a montante around. Another example, messer and dussack are so damn close. If you have a preference, that's fine, but start with whichever is more available to learn.
>>
>>34095240
does saber fuck you up? Or rapier/small sword?
>>
>>34095312
Idk, I've never sparred against any of those or tried any of those.
>>
Why is polish saber such a meme?
>>
>>34094979
Take a one handed chopper, like dussack or messer. Translate the experience into dagger, saber, other one handers. Eventually add shields or move onto long weapons.
>>
>>34095527
Polish saber as practiced today is pretty much entirely reconstructed. Nobody really knows for sure how it's done since there aren't any sources.
>>
>>34095527
Because Poland is very vocal about it, there culture is still big on it, on the same level as Japanese with the katana (this coming from a polish person mind you).

And also, it doesn't exist in a non-diluted form, which seems like a problem but then it means that everyone can say they do "polish sabre" and there is no basis to totally disprove them, basically, it's everything you want it to be. It's a bit exotic for western europe without going into asian stuff, there are a lot of polish descendants in the western countries as well so...

Plus let's admit it the very curvy polish sabre is good looking.
>>
File: IMG_2672.jpg (72KB, 736x556px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2672.jpg
72KB, 736x556px
>>
>>34096304
And what are your greatest achievements?
>>
>>34097315
My mothers proud of me.
>>
Can you learn how to fight with a halberd in HEMA?

Is a halberd a viable defense weapon?
>>
>>34094979
>wants to buy a sword for hema
>posts clothing company sign

Idk senpai, feders are neat. Or any bendy, non sharp, round tipped, non wallhanger sword.
>>
>>34097406
If you find a club that does it. You can learn about it yourself though, halberd is a pretty basic weapon with some advanced details.
>>
>>34097406
There are clubs that teach pole weapons based off Joachim Meyer's or Paulus Hector Mair's treatises. The problem with pole weapons is that they have to be similar in weight, form, and size to be deemed accurate and once they get moving, they move fast and hurt like hell. You'd need to involve a lot of self-control when sparring with others to avoid injury.

The halberd is absolutely a viable weapon for offense and defense. It was used by infantry and town guards for a respectable amount of time in history. IMO it's on the same tier as the crossbow in terms of effectiveness and killing wealthy elites.
>>
>>34097406
>defensive weapon

If you get attacked outdoors next to a rack of halberds sure. Swords and other things you can actually wear on your person and use easily indoors are defensive weapons.
>>
>>34097562
Learn stickfighting
Walk around with totally innocent walking stick like a sperg
Bonus point for a gandalf hat and robe.
>>
>>34094979
Super verwarrend OP, dacht even dat ik in de /nederdraad/ zat
>>
>>34100065
Yep, because no one walks around with a cane nowadays. Like old people, or people with knee injuries.
>>
>>34100616
hes talking staff length sticks
>>
>>34100616
Injure your knee
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.