[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is mail underneath plate an overkill?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Exanima gearing up.webm (246KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Exanima gearing up.webm
246KB, 640x360px
is mail underneath plate an overkill?
>>
No, that's what they actually did.

>light jerkin
>tunic or some shit
>gambison
>mail
>plate

How these fucks didn't die from heat exhaustion, I'll never know.
>>
>>34094719
only if you didn't enjoy dying of heat stroke or exhaustion
>>
>>34094732
i just did some light jerkin
>>
>>34094746
>>
No, don't underestimate the penetrating power of a pointy metal thing on a pole.
>>
>>34094732
>that's what they actually did
Only during a short transition period when plate was slowly replacing mail. After that they quickly abandoned the mail and only wore it over the gaps, often by sewing it to the gambison.
>>
>>34096693
I'm not autistic enough to have knowledge on the subject, but back in those days couldn't you just chuck your shit on when your close to the battle, I don't imagine a sneak attack by hundreds and sometimes thousands of people occurred very often.
>>
Seems like overkill (and overweight, above all) to me. A good plate is enough.
>>
>>34094732
They lived in Europe when the climate was colder than it already is.
>>
>>34094719
>light jerkin

this is a Christian board pls delet this
>>
>>34094719
Literally no point.

If you're worried about things penetrating your plate and you don't mind the extra weight, just get thicker plate.
>>
>>34094719
if by mail you mean a full chain yeah it's the heaviest type of armor and offers less protection than plate. so only apply to the joints.
>>
>>34094719
Under the gaps? No.
Everywhere? Yes.
Which is why they started making gambesons with mail only attached to area's where there would be gaps in your plate like the armpits and the elbows.
>>
>>34094732
>How these fucks didn't die from heat exhaustion, I'll never know.
Training in their armor.
>>
>>34096772
How else do you make jerky?
>>
>>34094732
riding horses or standing still 99% of the time while in armor, 1% standing still trading blows or dying

we're still talking about time periods where large scale battles were generally starting and finishing inside a 1-2 mile area of land
>>
>>34094732
Metal does not insulate, rather it's a pretty good heat conductor. Put a surcoat on in the sun, you might even wet it. That gambeson isn't gonna warm you much either once it's full of sweat.
>>
>>34094719
If you micromanage your uniforms you can get dwarfs to wear 3 mail shirts under a breastplate and then put 3 cloaks on top, though this provides questionable benefit over just one of each.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.