[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Winter SHTF

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 20

I live in North Burgerland, and the presence of harsh winters makes SHTF that much more deadly. In addition to all the usual items (food source, water source, first aid etc.) what funs and general necessities do you guys recommend for such an area?
>>
Know how to stay dry and warm. Stay hydrated.
>>
I'd recommend keeping fit and learning how to move in the snow, either through off piste skiing or mountaineering.

Understand the geography and wildlife of your area. Do things in groups, take plenty of water and if the weather looks shit don't bother - anyone can be uncomfortable and anyone can get a cold weather injury. SMLE might be an option if you are wanting a bolt action rifle; if it's good enough to work in the far reaches of Canada for some drunk Inuit it's good enough for you.
>>
>>34091904
learn cross country skiing or snowshoeing. Both are super advantageous. I know 2 forms of cross country skiing and being able to move around in snow now is much easier. Even in deeper snow it's faster and easier to move.
>>
>>34091904
Learn how to ski, you fucking burger. Don't be an embarassment like your rangers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbjmuENPpd4
>>
>>34091904
Invest in good clothes. Wool and down are your friends. Cotton kills. A good pair of rubber boots are worth their weight in gold.

http://www.greatsox.com/jb-icelandic

http://www.kenetrek.com/

https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=25010&p_id=2301220&gen_cd=1
>>
>>34091904
This is assuming you get actual cold weather, below -40F with no windchill. Does apply to slightly warmer as well, but less critical, naturally.
Multiple layers of clothing, wool or synthetics, NOTHING in cotton as it does not retain heat, especially when wet. Set up your clothing in a way that you can lessen the amount you wear fast and easy, for mobility, marches, combat and generally being active. In the same way have warm clothing you can easily put on for when you need to stay still, or aren't moving a lot. If you don't, you will freeze your fucking ass off.
>what funs
AK patterns. I'm sure at least some ARs run well enough in the cold, with the correct arctic lube, but ease of use and no need for special lubrication is what works well in AKs, so long as you don't freeze your bolt shut with moisture. In which case you can kick-start it loose. Mortaring an AR I don't think works well.
>general necessities
Balaclava, mittens, preferably with a trigger finger, or multiple layers of gloves. Gloves with fingers are shit for proper cold, no good. Clothing with hoods, they trap heat and protect you from the wind.
Something to hang a water bottle around your neck with, under the clothes. Won't freeze in 1h.
General awareness, monitor your skin for frostbite, keep it covered and PRESS on skin to warm it up, NEVER rub.

>>34092012
>A good pair of rubber boots are worth their weight in gold.
This. You really want winter rubber boots. No leather, no combat boots, or whatever they're called in English, your typical ankle-height leather boots.
They retain no fucking heat, get wet in an instant and then you're looking at losing function in your legs as well as amputated toes, death even, if you're in proper SHTF. Wear multiple socks, use newspapers or something else to trap moisture when you're using them, so your feet don't get wet from sweat and change the paper twice a day.
They'll be heavy to operate in, but warm and comfy even, which is most important.
>>
>>34092134
>Gloves with fingers are shit for proper cold, no good
Although a single layer of undergloves that are thin enough to do accurate work with, but keep your fingers out of direct contact with metal are great.
>>
>>34091904
Have a fuckton of matches and candles nearby. A wood stove and a gas stove as well do come in handy during those days.
>>
>>34091904
a comfy fireplace and a friend (or several)
oh and spare woollen socks+ fur cots
>>
>>34092012

would fur lined boots work?
>>
File: ddTN84E.jpg (470KB, 2772x1842px) Image search: [Google]
ddTN84E.jpg
470KB, 2772x1842px
>>34091904
Snowshoes are great because they are all-terrain and actually enhance your movement. Snowbanks link previously unaccessible or steep terrain. It beats skis because you can climb slopes pretty fast, manoeuver quickly. Check for snowshoes designed for off-trail trekking.

2 pairs of gloves and mittens, so you can switch on the run when you're warm and when you're cold.

A superior base layer is really important. Merino, microfiber, whatever floats your boat as long as it's warm and breathing.
>>
>>34092230
I hate them personally, the fur traps moisture, which fucking sucks if you have sweaty feet or if you get your boots wet.
>>
Oh, btw, have Pervitin ready. If you take 30 pills in one swig, you can sky for more than 100 kilometers in less than 12 hours.
>>
>>34091904
>the presence of harsh winters makes SHTF that much more deadly.
had always played "battle of the bulge" when i was a kid and instinctively drawn to the woods even more when the temperature started to fall as an adult.
>>34092134
>This is assuming you get actual cold weather, below -40F with no windchill.

is actually easier to stay warm when the moisture is gone from the air so the 15° to 35°F degree range will not only be more likely, but harder to keep warm(and thereby be more deadly).
anything lower that -40°F means travel is foolhardy, time to hunker down.
>>
>>34092288
what lmg is that
>>
>>34091904
If your bugging in long term or temporarily either stock up on firewood or get a few propane tanks.

Going innawoods in the cold isn't your best idea. If you have shelter stay in it.

Put together a kit for your car too. Include a lighter and candles. A candle can heat a small space. Same goes for tents.

My father was buried in his car in ohio's big storm of 1978. Lucky he had a lighter and several books of matches.

Kept him warm after his car ran out of gas.
>>
>>34092288
>you can climb slopes pretty fast
relatively speaking of course

>>34092335
>Oh, btw, have Pervitin ready
amphetamines are über vasoconstrictive, so good luck with the frostbite
>>
>>34092288
Photo would be a lot better if he had ammo in that.

>>34092412
Minime/M249 variant
>>
File: 1481581612869.png (533KB, 500x654px) Image search: [Google]
1481581612869.png
533KB, 500x654px
OP here, live inna Lower MI to be more exact. Not exactly -40°
>inb4 fucking casual
>>34092134
I heard that the Colt C7's (AR pattern) were optimized for cold weather. Don't know if that's just ergos or mechanical changes.
>>34091941
>SMLE
If only the Aussie clones in common calibers were more... common.
>>34092001
>>34091959
Huh, didn't consider that.
>>34092552
I've been through weeklong poweroutages (randomly caused) in the past decade or so, so I figure that it's only a matter of time before it gets shut off indefinitely (high-functioning snackbar, nork hackers, michigan road-tier upkeep, etc) during the worst possible time.
>>
>>34091904
MN Kommando reporting in, agreed
>>
>>34091904
leaf here build up resources in the fall then hibernate layers fucking layers sweaters and blankets indoors bookshelves and laundry drawers on north facing exterior walls pressure cookers keep the moisture level down and cook faster don't go out unless necessary
>>
Learn the ice man's techniques and then you dont need clothes at all ib cold weather
>>
>>34092835
Source: Wim Hof
>>
>>34091904
Just take an AR. It'll overheat enough to keep you warm through winter.
>>
Wim Hof:

2007: He climbed to 6.7 kilometres (22,000 ft) altitude at Mount Everest wearing nothing but shorts and shoes, but failed to reach the summit due to a recurring foot injury.

2009: In February Hof reached the top of Mount Kilimanjaro in his shorts within two days.[11] Hof completed a full marathon (42.195 kilometres (26.219 mi)), above the arctic circle in Finland, in temperatures close to −20 °C (−4 °F). Dressed in nothing but shorts, Hof finished in 5 hours and 25 minutes.

2010: Hof again broke the ice endurance record by standing fully immersed in ice for 1 hour and 44 minutes in Tokyo, Japan.

2011: Hof broke the ice endurance record twice, in Inzell in February and in New York City in November. The Guinness World Record is now set for 1 hour and 52 minutes and 42 seconds by Hof. In September, Hof also ran a full marathon in the Namib Desert without water. The run was performed under the supervision of Dr. Thijs Eijsvogels
>>
Food: Snares, ice fishing, if you take down something big then clean it far from camp. It will attract things. Stew is best in these situations, you will be warmed up better.

Clothing: Wear enough to keep you warm, if you sweat in your gear you will have problems

Shelter: Wind is the enemy, Block that. Keep off the ground. The only thing ever touching the ground should be your shoes. Have or make a cot, chair or whatever.

Water: snow is fine if cooked, filtered and perhaps pilled if available. Dont drink or eat untreated also the snow will require more from your body to make into water than you will like.

First aid: Basic shit. avoid liquor in the cold, you'll feel warm but it is a lie. If your toes or fingers get too much frost bite cause you did not pay attention, they may require removal.
>>
>>34091941
Wouldn't it be better to get really fat? That would help you stay warm.
>>
>>34093255
just because he's a fucking mutant doesn't mean what he can do, everyone else can
>>
File: IMG_4447.png (491KB, 572x1612px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4447.png
491KB, 572x1612px
>>34092335
>>
>>34091941
Don't get too fit. You need to keep a nice insulating layer on your core. If your family has lived in northern climes for enough generations, you may already have this. Beer guts save lives in the cold.
>>
So this crazy bastard up in North Dakota has it all figured out. He's quite prolific, you will learn alot from his varied videos.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=VHtvuSIIBag
>>
File: 1490937955564.jpg (68KB, 1003x797px) Image search: [Google]
1490937955564.jpg
68KB, 1003x797px
Why are there little to no pictures of the Eastern Front in WW1? It was just as if not more interesting than the Western Front.
>>
>>34092674
M1917 Enfield in .30-06 (American Enfield) is a good option too. The Danish still use it today in arctic Greenland
Hello OP, from Northern/Mid Mitten.
-40 might be extreme, but I've been through local temps down to -35. Fuck the great ball freezing temps of 2012-13 Or was it 13-14? Maybe it was both.
To add to the thread, good footwear is imperative, as well as keeping your feet dry in that footwear. If possible, multiple pairs of boots.
>Had the joy of mild frostbite on all ten toes last December because a certain steel roof HAD to be finished before more snow fell.
>>
>>34095047
Bonus fact for extreme low temps (At least for the continental US for the most part) 4 cylinder gasoline engines are the most reliable to start below -20 degrees fahrenheit. A combination of low rotational mass and one cylinder under compression at a time makes then start more easily and with less battery power needed. In addition to the fuel economy needed post SHTF.
>If any vehicles are a viable alternative at that point.
>>
File: christian bale american psycho.jpg (197KB, 624x737px) Image search: [Google]
christian bale american psycho.jpg
197KB, 624x737px
>>34093677
> Mfw I'm a park ranger in a very cold place
> mfw this is actually true
> Mfw thiccc people live longer in the cold
>>
>>34091904
>North America
>harsh winter
Please tell me you're from Alaska
>>
>>34095309
So I'm a crazy guy in northern New England who only heats his place enough to keep the pipes from freezing in the winter. You go through fat like nothing trying to keep warm. My body will crave gallons of whole milk a week, cookies, butter, olive oil, pemican, shit like that. Modern arctic trekkers will consume straight olive oil regularly just to keep up with the demand. Fat, both on our bodies and in our diets, keeps us alive in the cold.
>>
>>34093362
>Keep off the ground. The only thing ever touching the ground should be your shoes. Have or make a cot, chair or whatever.

Dead space will steal your body heat just like a cold surface. You should always fill it with insulation. You can sleep on top of the snow just fine if you put a thick layer of dry leaves, wood chips, pine boughs, pine needles, and or something similar on top of that. Leaving cold dead air in the space under you will kill you quick.
>>
Trapping can get you a lot of very warm fur within a few weeks. Beaver trapping actually gets easier after ice-in. You ever slept under a beaver fur blanket? Of course you haven't. But if you ever do, you will know it is almost too hot at 10 degrees F. Good luck trying to buy one, they're like a grand for a double sized one. Gotta make your own.
>>
>>34095672
Was thinking of buying land near dillingham plz talk me out of it /k/ i want an ice fortress.
>>
>>34092134
>No leather, no combat boots, or whatever they're called in English, your typical ankle-height leather boots.
Just out interest, to which point would you rely on those; rather, to which point would they be acceptable? (Let's assume I wear them with two layers of wool socks.) I'm in germany and don't really own winter boots because I don't need them day to day.
>Inb4 get out of winter thread southerner
>>
>>34096699

This. Don't sleep on the ground, but don't leave it open to air though. This is how US casualties manage to die of hypothermia in the desert. They get stripped naked and get placed on a cot just off the ground.
>>
>>34095672
Not him but we hit -30 before wind chill last winter in Minnesota. Shit can get cold in the Continental US
>>
>>34093998
lack of cameras

>>34093255
>that constitution
>that stamina

now we just need to start a small eugenics programme
>>
>>34092312
hmmmm, i see, are these not what people wore in the days before rubber though?
>>
>live in southern Norway
>yet another mild winter, barely dipped below -10c
>out walking my dog in little more than an insulated jacket, tshirt, hiking pants and some boots with grip
>out innaforest
>see what looks like a group of overgrown kindergartners
>get closer, it's adults in coveralls, wool mitts, uschankas and fur-lined parkas
>they ask me for directions in English
>ask where they're from
>texas, they came here to try 'extreme weather'
>they're 20 minutes outside of Oslo
I wish I made this shit up
>>
>>34095218
>If any vehicles are a viable alternative at that point.
In summer, a motorbike would be the most efficient option
>Can still affix bags to carry stuff
>very efficient
>fast
>>
>>34097595
I live in the north east and have had friends from texas and AZ come visit just to see the snow. They're completely baffled by it.

Yeah they can't stand -10c but they're used to 50c. I'd like to see your ass in texas during a heat wave.
>>
>>34097595
Yeah southerners are bitches. My family visited my grandpa in missouri for Christmas once and we were getting looks for wearing t shirts while everyone else is wearing jackets. It was only like 40 freedom units
>>
>>34097595
>>34097766
ran into a group of canadians in a big strip mall parking lot in the summer. Felt sorry for them they were fucking dying from the insane dry heat. One was wearing shorts and said he felt like he was walking on a skillet. They were driving around the states to see the sights or something and had to keep stopping for water and ice
>>
>>34097800
Oh god I hear that. Like I said I live in the new england area so I'm used to deep snow and -30c to +28c weather. I went to florida for a paintball tourny and pretty much got heatstroke just walking off the plane.
>>
>>34097800
Norfag again, I can sympathize. It's mid-summer now, and I'm sweating like a stuck pig in shorts and t-shirt with clear skies and 20c. I practically can't imagine weather hotter than 30c.
>>
>>34091904
fellow north burgerlander here. went through the ice storm of 2008 in western KY.

Bugging in for winter isn't hard in the slightest.

stay indoors - it's warmer. learn to dress in layers.

keep in mind that alcohol stoves don't burn in low temperatures.

other than that, it's easy. you have free water all over the place to boil and purify, and with a well stocked bug-in food source, you should be good.

seriously, it's uncomfortable, but winter shtf is easy, and way more comfy than something like hurricane or flood survival.
>>
>>34097784
And you probably complain it's hot out when it's 70 degrees.
>>
>>34091904
>those type 38's
nice.
>>
File: 1488766717822.jpg (324KB, 1383x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1488766717822.jpg
324KB, 1383x1600px
>>34093677
Is there any data to back up northerners naturally having more insulation, or is that just a self-esteem thing?
>>
>>34091904
For funs:
Get a tank.
>>
I've worked in a -30F freezer for the last 10 years, use a lot of wool socks, get good leather boots, down jackets, preferably wear things waterproof and grow out your beard if you can

mittens are better too, keep your fingers together, not apart
>>
>>34099043

Well naturally whites are more resistant to cold.

I knew this Venezuelan girl, and the bitch would freeze to death in L.A. if the weather was 70f
>>
>>34095047
Pure aloe vera gel/ooze will regenerate nerve damage caused by frostbite. Especcially if applied as soon as possible.
>>
>>34095672
We often hit -20F with 6 feet of snow in the mountains of Idaho.
>>
File: 1492478703229.jpg (112KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
1492478703229.jpg
112KB, 960x640px
>>34097595
Honestly felt sorry for a bunch of burgersoldiers I met at Cold Response last year, they were all from the south/southwest of the US and were freezing their asses of in like -10c.
>>
>>34100912
Depends on the tank though.
>>
>>34102424
Are they cosplayers?
>>
>>34092001
I live in South Carolina dude. Half you Eurocucks would die fighting in the summer here, especially Finn's. Don't try to posture on me sunny
>>
>>34102424
Why we Americans wouldn't send our Alaskan soldiers so as to avoid embarassment, I will never understand. The truth is, most of our soldiers are right shit outdoorsmen, hell, most of our countrymen are shit outdoorsmen. The military does not teach many outdoors skills, maybe SERE school, but it is really limited everywhere else.
>>
>>34092001
>spend literally decades on back to back deployments slaying savages in Iraq and Afghanistan
>can't ski
what an embarrassment, it's almost like being in the middle east killing people takes time away from ski training
>>
>>34107106
And before anyone mentions the USMC Mountain Warfare School, the Marines are never going to be issued the gear they need to use any of that training, they'd be sent to the Himilayas in frog shirts and desert boots and you know it.
>>
>>34107106
desu even our alaskan soldiers would probably be embarrassed

as a whole our military has no culture of winter-warfare and motarded leaders and SNCOs like to think everything (to include the weather) can be overcome by trying hard enough. Partly because most leaders have no experience with cold-weather operations the way the northern Europeans do
>>
>>34107540
Sadly, you're right.
>>
File: 1476490995549.jpg (479KB, 3072x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1476490995549.jpg
479KB, 3072x2048px
>>34097595

Anything below 50 F is extreme for a Texan so they're not wrong.
>>
>>34091904
shtf preppers are so silly, literal larpers. What could possibly happen that would cause you to need any more prep than gathering food in the summer and storing it for the winter [which is already extremely common] in the north?

A foregin army invades? then you should join the army or a resistance force and fight them.

Global financial collapse? The north doesnt have the wealth or population for it to really matter as alaska, maine, etc are resource rich and montana, idaho, etc are where most of the farms/cattle in america are raise in which case you should save you money and not spend it on prepper shit. If you lose your job and things are so bad you cant find another one, just spend your 9-5 farming/fishing/hunting

Natural disaster? have insurance and money in the bank and just move to an area of the country that wasnt affected by it.

the idea that there is ever going to be a walking dead style event is insane asylum tier delusional
>>
>>34108042
The most likely SHTF scenario that encompasses the whole world is yellowstone, and if that happens your best option is a quick and painless suicide.
>>
>>34108042
>What are persistent blackouts
>What is civil war
It's funny because OP did not even specify what SHTF means for him. There's plenty of potential events that require going or staying outside for a while.
>>
>>34108042
>Global financial collapse?
>you should save you money
You lummox, you'll be burning paper money in order to not freeze.
>>
>>34108042
>montana, idaho, etc are where most of the farms/cattle in america are raise
>Industrial agriculture carrying on business as usual without any of the needed inputs sourced from far and away
Wew, lad
>>
>>34108042
>not spend it on prepper shit.
>spend your 9-5 farming/fishing/hunting
What do you think "prepper shit" is?
>>
>>34108323
>persistent blackouts
so keep books for entertainment? blackouts wouldnt affect farming/hunting/fishing apart from having to smoke meat instead of freeze. Most homes in alaska are already heated by wood

>civil war
join a side and fight

>theres plenty of potential events that require going or staying outside for a while
i cant really think of any besides having to walk from your apartment to your grandparents farm (or something like that) so you would only need a sleeping bag rated to the minimum temperature in your area and a water bottle

>>34108509
why would you burn paper money when the north has a high density of forest? youre being silly

plus i said rather than buy prepper shit you should save money, cause its not like one day eveything is going to be going fine and the next daytheres 50% unemployment. A global financial collapse will be like the the recession of 08

>>34108529
yeah thats my point, they wont be able to ship their food all over the us and world, but its still grown there so it will stay local, even if its scaled down

>>34108542
gas masks, 50 knives, 30 guns, $5k bug out bags, bunkers you know the stuff you see on doomsday prepper and what gets posted in gear queer threads
>>
>>34108042
You are extremely wrong. Consider a small town, a tiny town. It has a population of around 1,000 people. It has 1 grocery store. It may even have a gas station. These are very common in places like Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, etc. The average lot is 1/4 acre. Do begin to see the problem? No?

Due to the Just In Time supply chain stores do not carry enough stock to cover more than a 48 hour window assuming normal purchasing habits. The average person does not garden. They do not know how to can. They do not raise chickens. They do not hunt. They don't even fish. Even in my area in the mountains of Idaho. Even here, in the towns, people act like they do in most parts of the country. At best they may have 1 week of food in their house. Many have only 3 days. In the outer areas it is better, it's true. But the towns? The towns are the same everywhere.

Now understand that gardening takes practice. It takes dedication, skill, and the plants to survive a brutally short growing season. We had snow in May. We always have at least one frost in August. Last year on June 15th it was 31 degrees.

How many deer do you think are in the woods? The wolves that were "re-introduced" have slaughtered so many elk Idahoans were banned from hunting elk a year or two back.

How many fish in the lakes? Enough to support 1 town? Two towns? Three? There is a town that size every 20 minutes drive. How many people do you think know how to ice fish? Our lakes freeze so solid you can drive across them.

Now consider...
A trucker/longshoreman strike
A bridge collapses
An avalanche that blocks a pass
Someone cuts the fiber-optic lines in California
An enemy targets our sattelites
The EU banks collapse
A really bad snowstorm
A solar flare
...or any of a hundred other things that would leave an area cut off from the world.
>>
>>34097273
thank God it's 2017
>>
>>34108610
>trusting the media
There's your problem. Prepping means making sure your family survives. Preparedness. It means hunting, fishing, farming, gardening, and stockpiling. You keep saying "don't buy prepper gear, buy prepper gear, learn prepper skills."

Don't believe the media lies. Prepping isn't crazy, it's common sense.
>>
>>34108756
>Do begin to see the problem?
no

>due to the Just...
there you go with the one day everything is fine, the next were in the middle of a walking dead episode delusion. Its embarrasing apart from a natural disaster that affect a tiny part of the world, every other collapse is a long, slow process

>How many deer? How many fish?
so all other livestock and crops magical die in this fantasy?

>A trucker/longshoreman strike
truckers are not unionized

>A bridge collapses
>An avalanche that blocks a pass
small, local events that will be solved within a day or two

>Someone cuts the fiber-optic lines in California
the company repairs them in less than a week

>An enemy targets our sattelites
we launch new ones in a month

>The EU banks collapse
literally not possible

>A really bad snowstorm
a really minor inconvenience

>A solar flare
ridiculous

>...or any of a hundred other things that would leave an area cut off from the world
...for a few hours until real men fix the problem for you
>>
File: 1495861147845.jpg (488KB, 857x1004px) Image search: [Google]
1495861147845.jpg
488KB, 857x1004px
>>34108889
>>You keep saying "don't buy prepper gear, buy prepper gear, learn prepper skills."
>op asks what to buy in addition to the necessities
>tell him he doesnt need anything in addition to necessities
>gear queers and betas from doomsday prepper get butthurt
seems about right
>>
Michigan weather makes no sense

0F for a week, then 40-50F next week

Winter lows -20F, Summer highs 100F

Yesterday 80F today 40F

This morning, spring parka, this afternoon, Air Con + shorts

lunacy

No so much extreme in either direction but temperate as fuck, its the reason the roads are blown to shit in michigan, you might have 2-3 Freeze/Thaw cycles per day for a several months.
>>
>>34108898
>all other livestock and crops magical die in this fantasy?
Not everybody lives right next to a farm or has access to one. And who's to say a warlord/group of bandits/Gov't won't get there before you and monopolize the local food supply?
>we launch new ones in a month
1. >implying they won't target the newly-launched satellites, too.
2. Can the Gov't actually afford more satellites in this scenario?
>literally not possible
I have a feeling Eurostan won't stay very stable if current trends continue...
>a really minor inconvenience
If freezing to death is what you call an "inconvenience", then sure
>...for a few hours until real men fix the problem for you
>gov't employees doing their fucking job
>ever
>>
>>34109468
>Not everybody lives right next to a farm or has access to one
so all forms of transportation magically stop working in your fantasy land as well?

>And who's to say a warlord/group of bandits/Gov't won't get there before you and monopolize the local food supply?
me

>1. >implying they won't target the newly-launched satellites, too.
not once weve destroyed theirs in retaliation, assuming they were able to destroy the tens of thousands of satellites we have

>2. Can the Gov't actually afford more satellites in this scenario?
of course, theyre not that expensive

>I have a feeling Eurostan won't stay very stable if current trends continue...
but then you also think there will be groups of bandits headed by warlords taking over farms even though is apparently so difficult the average person cannot learn it

>If freezing to death is what you call an "inconvenience", then sure
because a snow storm is a revolutionary event that so only navy seals can survive

>gov't employees doing their fucking job
response times for emergency services even in rural america are pretty impressive
>>
File: governor mountain.webm (3MB, 940x528px) Image search: [Google]
governor mountain.webm
3MB, 940x528px
>harsh winters makes SHTF that much more deadly.
I do it for fun. You're going to die.
>>
File: 1486619348538.jpg (151KB, 797x522px) Image search: [Google]
1486619348538.jpg
151KB, 797x522px
>>34109626
Whoo boy, we got ourselves a badass over here
>>
>>34098755
>kansas talking about snowstorms
lmao northern minnesota here, people walk around in sweaters in 10 degrees here
>>
>>34097595

>>34097766
This. Your blood thickens/Thins. You're used to the cold, but come to AZ when it's a hot year and n118-121 degrees out and you'll be having a heat stroke while natives shake their head saying you didn't drink enough water and call an ambulance for you.
>>
>>34108610
>why would you burn paper money when the north has a high density of forest? youre being silly
Confirmed for never spending any time on the northern Plains, also confirmed for not knowing that silver is the best currency to save up because it isn't a fucking promisory note from the federal reserve bank.
>They'll just keep growing the crops
Confirmed for having no knowledge of how dependent our mechanized agricultural practices are on INPUTS from off of the farm. Go to a real farm before replying to this part of the post.
>(((NatGeo))) Prepper shit
Yeah, you should be investing in low tech farming implements, skills, friendships, simple household income generators (value- added stuff) and land. People who unironically hoard slavic surplus and such from your tv are liberal charicatures at worst, doomed idiots at best.

Read the book World Made by Hand. I know you think you are safe and that the future is awesome, and we are just a bunch of bitter cunts, but your super duper gee whiz awesome modern world is fragile and its wheels of progress might run you over next. You're a collectivist, that doesn't jive with you types, but it is an objective fact that many of our existances are predicated on a shoestring that becomes ever more complex daily. Embrace hyper-localism or leave us be; you aren't helping anyone with this apathetic, sedentary status quo bullshit.
>>
>>34099043
Neither. It's called acclimation. People undergo the biological equivalent to "getting used to it". I'm from the mittenstate so we run the gamut from -30F to 90+F and it sucks ass when the changes come quickly.
Depending on the person the acclimation can be as little as 2 weeks or any length of time really. Depending on age, sex, time spent outdoors and weight/health habits.
Most typically though people in cold climates have higher metabolisms to provide heat though.
>>
File: 1478480330823.jpg (171KB, 520x505px) Image search: [Google]
1478480330823.jpg
171KB, 520x505px
>>34109592
>so all forms of transportation magically stop working in your fantasy land as well?
If you don't know where the nearest farm is, how will you find out when the power goes out.
Also, better hope you remembered to fill up yesterday, because those pumps require electricity
>me
Not an argument
>of course, theyre not that expensive
>space rockets
>inexpensive
>but then you also think there will be groups of bandits headed by warlords taking over farms
1. When resources are scarce in your fantasy world, do you expect everybody to just sing kumbayah and share?
2.Not an argument.
>even though is apparently so difficult the average person cannot learn it
Wtf does this mean?
>because a snow storm is a revolutionary event that so only navy seals can survive
It's not the storm, it's getting cut off from heat and food that's troublesome.

>response times for emergency services even in rural america are pretty impressive
>Implying the majority of the population lives in rural america
>>
>>34111349
>Northern Plains
were talking about alaska, maine, etc

>silver
can you eat silver? no?

>mechanized agricultural practice...
in this magical world of yours, all tractors disappear too? its almost like you make it up as you get stumped

>farming implements,
pretty much everyone already has a spade and a hose, which is all you need to grow food in your backyard

>friendships
aww how cute <3

>simple household income generators
if you have free time to work a second job, you should just work a second job

>land
pretty much everyone outside of cities owns land bud

> People who unironically hoard ...
yeah thats my point, shtf preppers are silly

>Read the book World Made by Hand
no thanks

>I know you think you are safe
i am, cause instead of preparing for things that are statistically impossible, i paid off my student loans, saved enough cash to live off for 6 months at my current comfort level, bought life, health, house, car insurance and stick all extra cash in my roth ira earning an average of 16% interest a year.

>and that the future is awesome,
it is

>and we are just a bunch of bitter cunts
no, youre losers who cant hack it in the modern world, you dont understand it, and your grandiose sense of self worth causes you to believe that its going to fail so you prepare for the highly unlikey even where you can finally be the hero

>your modern world is fragile
except its not, its has redundancies upon redundancies built in to ensure its survival

>its wheels of progress might run you over next
ah, like i said, you cant hack it, at least you admit it

>You're a collectivist
nope

>ut it is an objective fact that many of our existances...
still all im hearing is that you cant hack it in the modern world

>. Embrace hyper-localism or leave us be
he says on a device made from and by 25+ different countries

> sedentary status quo bullshit.
im saying youre wasting your time and money and should be preping for the 21st century not the dark ages
>>
>>34111510
>If you don't know where the nearest farm is, how will you find out when the power goes out.
the shops that know how to get food will stay open, the others will close

>Also, better hope you remembered to fill up yesterday, because those pumps require electricity
and again with your walking dead delusion

>Not an argument
my word is god

>>space rockets
>>inexpensive
realitively speaking, theyre pretty cheap, your local news station probably has sent one or two up

>1. When resources are scarce in your fantasy world, do you expect everybody to just sing kumbayah and share?
we live in a post scarity society, theres never going to be scare resources

>Wtf does this mean?
you said farming is too difficult for the average person in your short growing season

>It's not the storm, it's getting cut off from heat and food that's troublesome.
which happens at least once a year to some area of the country and someone everyone magically survives

>>Implying the majority of the population lives in rural america
were taking about the rural north, remember?
>>
File: 1487537308353.png (321KB, 710x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1487537308353.png
321KB, 710x1200px
>>34111638
>the shops that know how to get food will stay open, the others will close
>implying there won't be looting

>and again with your walking dead delusion
What does a tv show have to do with the fact that gas pumps don't work without electricity?

>which happens at least once a year to some area of the country and someone everyone magically survives
This isn't talking about your average winter, this is worst-case scenario

>you said
wasn't me

>were taking about the rural north, remember?
>implying inter only occurs in rural areas
>>
>>34111754
>>implying there won't be looting
not for long

>What does a tv show have to do with the fact that gas pumps don't work without electricity?
so now we dont have generators in this fantasy land either?

>This isn't talking about your average winter, this is worst-case scenario
anything worse than normal and people from all over the world will #pray4anon and donate
>>
>>34111815
>not for long
>people just magically stop being hungry and desperate

>so now we dont have generators in this fantasy land either?
>needing to use gasoline to access a dwindling supply of gasoline
>implying you have a generator powerful enough to power the pumps

>#pray4anon and donate
>implying retarded virtue signaling actually accomplishes anything
>>
>>34111918
>>people just magically stop being hungry and desperate
looting wont last long, not the hunger

>>needing to use gasoline to access a dwindling supply of gasoline
we have enough oil to for 400 years in this country

>implying you have a generator powerful enough to power the pumps
i have a generator that can power my whole house and so do like half the people in my neighborhood, a few pumps would be no problem

>implying retarded virtue signaling actually accomplishes anything
you mean apart from drawing the eyes of the world on the tiny, isolated event right?
>>
>>34092001
cross country skiing is good times, good workout, and easy enough to do while drunk. oh and you can still bang bang things. there's like a whole Olympic sport built around it.
>>
File: 1494968557922.png (390KB, 639x768px) Image search: [Google]
1494968557922.png
390KB, 639x768px
>>34111977
>looting won't last long
>gee tyrone, after all this stealing, I'm suddenly not cold and hungry anymore

> implying the average joe can drill for oil, extract it, and refine it
>without electricity

>my generator can-
And I hab 12 inch benis :DD

>implying bleeding hearts give a fuck about rural whites
> implying social media will work without electricity
>>
>>34112135
cops will stop it pretty quick, and if they cant the national gaurd will be called in

> implying the average joe can drill for oil, extract it, and refine it
>without electricity
here we go with your one day everything is fine the next were in 1492

And I hab 12 inch benis :DD
no

>> implying social media will work without electricity
how exactly will the whole country or world suddenly be without electricity again?
>>
>>34112232

>muh national guard
>muh po-lice
Because that worked so well during Katrina and the LA Riots

Last time I checked, the average small town doesn't have an oil drill and refinery

How will a small town in deep shit and without power communicate to the rest of the world that they're in deep shit without using a messenger?
>>
>>34112507
>Katrina and the LA Riots
seems to have worked out just fine

>Last time I checked, the average small town doesn't have an oil drill and refinery
sorry i forgot that all the trucks disappeared

>How will a small town in deep shit and without power communicate to the rest of the world that they're in deep shit without using a messenger?
im guessing hand crank radios are all gone in your fantasy, but can we at least have carrier pigeons?
>>
File: 1472147485450.gif (979KB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
1472147485450.gif
979KB, 500x269px
>>34112544
> widespread chimping out while the authorities do nothing
> just fine

>muh trucks
Because trucks just fly over blocked roads and broken bridges, right?
And how do you place an order for more fuel in the first place without using electricity?

>muh crank radios
Can't transmit, only receive. Any sort of decent broadcast range requires electricity and a decent location to broadcast from.
> implying carrier pigeons won't freeze to death
>>
>>34112753
its not like anyone important died

>trucks just fly
no those are called planes

>broken bridges, right?
you need a boat for that, not a truck

>Can't transmit
mine can
>>
>>34112823
>hey it wasn't that bad oh wait people died well it wasn't a celebrity so it's all good
> implying small towns have a runway
>implying you can easily cross-country canoe for supplies in the dead of winter
>>
>>34112823
> mine can
Post proofs, fag.
>>
>>34112890
>hey it wasn't that bad oh wait people died well it wasn't a celebrity so it's all good
now youre getting it

>> implying small towns have a runway
they do in alaska

>>implying you can easily cross-country canoe for supplies in the dead of winter
no thats what a plane is for

>>34112906
its here meatspin.fr just go to radios > manual operation > transmit, its the third one if you use price low to high
>>
>>34108898
>>A bridge collapses
>>An avalanche that blocks a pass
>small, local events that will be solved within a day or two

I generally agree with prepping skepticism, but you're wrong here. Big Sur, California has been cut off from the outside world - except for airdrops and a narrow, steep hiking trail - for months now:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/10/battered-by-winter-storms-big-sur-is-cut-off-from-california/

It's not unreasonable to have a month's food supply stockpiled if you live in a rural area, especially one prone to natural disasters.

As for the utility of guns, trauma kits, etc., search "Katrina looting" or "LA riots koreatown." Mass unrest happens. So do armed home invasions.
>>
>>34112823
>its not like anyone important died

Oh no, he's an idiot
>>
>>34096699
>>34091904

fukken dig a hole. wide enough for you to lie comfortably but not roll around. And also LAYERS! i use an old Norwegian surplus wool blanket wrapped over and under my sleeping bag, forming a comfy and toasty omelette. (try not to get too warm though, sweat kills)
>>
File: 1366823543001.gif (725KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1366823543001.gif
725KB, 350x350px
>>34112955
>somebody breaks into your house and stabs you
> hey man why are you complaining you're not a celebrity
>you call 911
>r u a celebrity
>no
>click

>alaska is the whole country

>expecting me to fall for meatspin

What a dumbass.
>>
>>34115036
Or a fucking snow cave. We made snow caves a couple times in the Scouts. Super cozy.
>>
>>34115314
You forgot the whole muh IRA and stock portfolio, muh assests post
It's the 300 CONFIRMED KILLS maymay for big boys.
Thread posts: 116
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.